or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › I'm getting a vasectomy

I'm getting a vasectomy

post #1 of 58
Tomorrow is the big day.

I will get a needle at the base of my penis, on top of the Tylenol 3s and Ativan that will already be in my system. I'll then have my vas deferens tugged out, then they're cauterized, and I'm good to go!

Not looking forward to the procedure, but the condom and pregnancy free future is going to be sweet.

Yee haw.

Oh yeah, don't click those links if you don't like seeing needles going into penises. Or blood at the base of penises. Or pictures of penises.

Found these at www.my-vasectomy.com.
post #2 of 58
good for you. way to take one for the team.
post #3 of 58
calls for a final ceremonial salute and farewell swim/fly from the little murbots doesn't it?

where's that WTF video of power tools...

"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #4 of 58
One of my co-workers was conceived after his father had a vasectomy ... and it wasn't the postman.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #5 of 58
We have a final swim planned for tonight.

I may say a few words for the little guys. It's their doing though, they swim far too well to be trusted.

They'll still be produced, my body just absorbs them. Ewww.

Shit, this isn't like swallowing I hope.
post #6 of 58
how about some before and after performance benchmarks...

boot time, throughput, etc...
post #7 of 58
Definitely. I'll make some iMovies for everyone.

I also just ordered a 15GB iPod. Should get some bonus for sacrificing my scrotum to keep my wife off the operating table getting her tubes tied.

Still working on the engraving though.
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
how about some before and after performance benchmarks...

boot time, throughput, etc...

That just made my day....slightly better
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot
We have a final swim planned for tonight.

I may say a few words for the little guys. It's their doing though, they swim far too well to be trusted.

They'll still be produced, my body just absorbs them. Ewww.

Shit, this isn't like swallowing I hope.

be sure she reads the science

suddenly, i'm getting flashes from Woody Allen
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
One of my co-workers was conceived after his father had a vasectomy ... and it wasn't the postman.

My science teacher said it felt like he was getting a good kick in the balls when he had his. He also said that they normally check to see if the procedure was completed correctly...so what AudioPollution says, DOES NOT happen.
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
My science teacher said it felt like he was getting a good kick in the balls when he had his. He also said that they normally check to see if the procedure was completed correctly...so what AudioPollution says, DOES NOT happen.

You'd hope that medical technology had progressed since 1978.

It's true about my co-worker. His dad should have sacrificed whatever was left in the pipes to a Kleenex. That's what you get for screwing 4 days after a snip.
post #12 of 58
\

Uh oh. My wife and I have had this discussion recently.

I don't want to do it. I think she should get her tubes tied. My argument is that if I died at 50, she'd be too old anyway to have kids if she got re-married. But what if she dies at 50, and I want to get married and have kids with a 30-year old? Needless to say, she wasn't too impressed by that argument.

Maybe I'll ask trumptman to start a new thread on the subject.
post #13 of 58
Congrats murbot.
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #14 of 58
Oh god...and thin, non-latex condoms weren't good enough?
post #15 of 58
God no. Can't stand 'em.

4 days after the snip! God, they told me I'd have to "flush the pipes" about 20 times before I'm good. I'll have sperm count tests at 2 and 3 months after the procedure too, to confirm a zero sperm count.

Now THAT will be fun.

post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution

If I remember correctly, it can take up to ≈20 ejaculations 'till all of those little white tadpole wannabe bastards are completely flushed out.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #17 of 58
Erm, what he said.

Is there an echo in the building?
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
\

Uh oh. My wife and I have had this discussion recently.

I don't want to do it. I think she should get her tubes tied. My argument is that if I died at 50, she'd be too old anyway to have kids if she got re-married. But what if she dies at 50, and I want to get married and have kids with a 30-year old? Needless to say, she wasn't too impressed by that argument.

Maybe I'll ask trumptman to start a new thread on the subject.

Why? Mrs. Trumptman wants him to do the same thing. Of course the little trumptmen (almost 4 and 2 respectively) have a lot to do with that.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #19 of 58
Because I thought you might see it as some kind societal discrimination against men. I mean come on, women are pressuring men to literally get castrated!

Anyway congrats to murbot on worry-free sex!
post #20 of 58
Quote:

Oh yeah, don't click those links if you don't like seeing needles going into penises. Or blood at the base of penises. Or pictures of penises.

Found these at www.my-vasectomy.com.

I sat in on two prostate seed implantations. The mixture of feces and blood is horrible sight.
post #21 of 58
Holy shit, miss a day, miss a lot.

Those pics are awful, I hate you for making me look, eek.

20 times before you're dry huh? What witht he infamous collection, that should take you about a day!
IBL!
IBL!
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Because I thought you might see it as some kind societal discrimination against men. I mean come on, women are pressuring men to literally get castrated!

Anyway congrats to murbot on worry-free sex!

Well it's safer and easier for a guy...not to mention I'd think less expensive.

Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
Holy shit, miss a day, miss a lot.

Those pics are awful, I hate you for making me look, eek.

20 times before you're dry huh? What witht he infamous collection, that should take you about a day!

I'm sure he can persuade his wife to help though...I can just hear it

Wife: "AGAIN?! How many times do I have to?"
Murbot: "The doctor said at least 40"
post #23 of 58
Shooting blanks...well it's your nuts in the firing line...
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #24 of 58
Murray, you are DEAD to me now...

My crotch is a scalpel free zone, thank you.
post #25 of 58
Not to mention... needle free.

EEEEesh!

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #26 of 58
Quote:
[...]I think she should get her tubes tied. My argument is that if I died at 50, she'd be too old anyway to have kids if she got re-married. But what if she dies at 50, and I want to get married and have kids with a 30-year old? Needless to say, she wasn't too impressed by that argument.

What do the US laws say currently about the female vasectomy? In the other countries I've lived in they allow that to ONLY women that are over 30, married and have over 4 children _AND_ with her husbands permission. If none of that crap is wanted in here, I'll have it done - or I would not mind even selling the stupid, useless thing producing eggs.
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Giaguara
What do the US laws say currently about the female vasectomy? In the other countries I've lived in they allow that to ONLY women that are over 30, married and have over 4 children _AND_ with her husbands permission. If none of that crap is wanted in here, I'll have it done - or I would not mind even selling the stupid, useless thing producing eggs.

There are no such laws to my knowledge. That is kinda stupid to say who can get what. Maybe I guess I can see an age limit, but all those restrictions...wth?

Honestly Murbot your more of a man then I!
post #28 of 58
So anyone has ideas of the female vasectomy? Do I need anyone else's "permission" to modify my own body (I am over 18 y old), and how much does it cost and where for example do they do them?
post #29 of 58
MB,

IIRC, the female version is related to hysterectomy, not a vasectomy.

tubal ligation used to be the technology, but I'm not a doctor, and certainly not an OBstetrician/GYNecologist.

no idea if it's covered in health care where you are.
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
IIRC, the female version is technically a hysterectomy, not a vasectomy.

tubal ligation used to be the technology, but I'm not a doctor, and certainly not an OBstetrician/GYNecologist.

Well, "A hysterectomy removes a woman's uterus, and sometimes her ovaries and fallopian tubes" (from here) so the cutting away the fallopian tubes must have different names.

Oh, found:

For women, tubal ligation involves conventional hospitalization, general anesthesia and lengthier, more complicated surgery than a vasectomy. In comparison, no-scalpel vasectomy may be completed in minutes, barely scoring the skin of the scrotum.

A majorit of tubal ligations are laparoscopic (intra-abdominal) procedures that require several hours of hospital recovery time and days of recuperation. The potential serious risks with this type of surgery include perforation of the intestine, infection, complications from anesthesia and even pulmonary embolism. Less serious but more frequent are the long-term side effects of tubal ligation. These include painful menstrual cycles, pelvic pain and a controversial complication that is still under study, called "post tubal ligation syndrome."

Vasectomies are usually outpatient procedures performed in the doctors' office and usually take less than a half-hour to complete. There are almost no risk of serious complications and no proven long-term complications to vasectomy. Quick recovery usually allows patients to have the procedure on Friday and to return to work on Monday.

When it comes to cost, a simple vasectomy is more than four times less expensive than a routine tubal ligation: Compare $2,000+ costs in a tubal ligation to approximately $500 for a vasectomy. Still, most couples may opt for tubal ligation because some couples still perceive birth control as solely a woman's responsibility.
, (here).
post #31 of 58
i stand corrected.

know some hysterectomies, but not many get it now, unless there are other issues.

once upon a time, docs promised both male and female tying procedures might be untied later
post #32 of 58
Why didn't anyone ask yet? How much did it cost? Is it covered by insurance?
post #33 of 58
I will probably make an ass of myself now, but ehmm ehmm here it comes.... IS IT REVERSIBLE ?
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
post #34 of 58
I have heard of them being reversed. But to me it looks like the more modern technique is difficult to go back on.
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by piwozniak
I will probably make an ass of myself now, but ehmm ehmm here it comes.... IS IT REVERSIBLE ?

It's possible, but don't count on it. That is the best answer you can get really, unless someone can pull up some stats.
post #36 of 58
The male operation should cost around $ 500, female $ 2000 and up. There is also a freezing method to make the uterus inactive (not menstruating, thus could work also as pregnancy prevention), but I have no idea of its cost.

Congrats, murbot.
Panther.
Panther.
post #37 of 58
so do they store a round in a tube for you to cover thier and your asses in case you change your mind?
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
post #38 of 58
I'm back, still alive.

It was a piece of cake, really. I laid there reading SI while my surgeon fixed me up.

The worst part was the needle. (well, 3 of them) First wasn't bad, the next 2 into each vas were pretty bad. After that though, I couldn't feel a thing.

I actually got bored of the mag and decided to watch. Pretty cool how quickly these guys operate. The most unsettling thing was the sound of him burning the tubes... not a really pleasant sound or smell.

We chatted about websites, I told him all about the iPod, and probably got him convinced to buy his son one.

I'm a bit sore now, but it's really not bad. Kind of like how you feel a few hours after a knee in the balls. Have some Tylenol 3s if it gets bad.

Total cost: $12. Tylenol 3 and one dose of Ativan.

My favorite part was seeing the 1.5cm stip of vas deferens tube he removed from each side. He held it up for me before dropping it into a little cup. Sweet.

post #39 of 58
Quote:

My favorite part was seeing the 1.5cm stip of vas deferens tube he removed from each side. He held it up for me before dropping it into a little cup. Sweet.

You should've saved & bronzed them. And, you know, keep them on a plack on your mantle.

There's no better conversation piece than a set of bronzed vas deferens tubes.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by DiscoCow
You should've saved & bronzed them. And, you know, keep them on a plack on your mantle.

There's no better conversation piece than a set of bronzed vas deferens tubes.

or perhaps gilded as trophy earrings for the domineering spouse
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › I'm getting a vasectomy