or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › changing startup sound

changing startup sound - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Oh man, when I first heard the deathchime for my Performa 636, I almost crapped my pants. Having worked with PCs and learning how many beeps means what went wrong with POST, I much prefer the death chime. It may not tell you what is wrong, but you can tell something IS wrong. A quick question: Can you get OS X to play a video when starting up like you could in Classic?
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post

Having perfect pitch, I believe the startup chord is either D-flat major or G-flat major... I can't quite remember, and I'm not going to restart my Mac just to find out. :P

EDIT: fine, so I did reboot just to find out. It's sort of G-flat, but a quarter-tone or so flatter than your average A=440hz G flat.

Actually, it's a "C-major chord with the hands stretched as far on the keyboard as possible". Starting an octave below mid-c, the cord goes c-e-g-c-e-g-c-e. There might be a few more notes in there, but that's all my small hands could piece together with "c-major chord", "hands stretched", and "ending on the third". I looked it up on Google.
post #43 of 45

You obviously don't have perfect pitch. The creator of the startup sound has stated that it was a C major cord.

post #44 of 45

quote: If the computer was dead and you got the most dreaded "Sad Mac" at boot, you got one of the death chimes. I can't tell you how terrifying it was to get a sad Mac at boot.

Why Is It So Dreaded?

post #45 of 45

unless you give yourself "superuser" or Root access account, by using terminal, there is no way to change it... originally a mac allows for maximum customization out of the box but if you want to do such a thing you would need root access. EASY thing to do just YouTube around... be careful when changing things because it could hurt your mac

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › changing startup sound