or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Tsunami aid-where are the Arabs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tsunami aid-where are the Arabs?

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
Interesting how i don't see one Arab country is the top ten list of donors. Are they doing or donating anything? They seem to always find money to fund terrorists so why can't they chip in to help their Muslim brothers?

Saudi Arabia, where are you?

Even Israel is doing more, having sent rescue units to Indonesia and other countries.
post #2 of 48
They've show a great deal of concern by giving their servants from Malaysia the day off. What more do you expect?
post #3 of 48
From CNN:
Algeria - $2M
Bahrain - $2M
Kuwait - $10M
Libya - $2M
Qatar - $25M
Saudi Arabia - $30M
UAE - $20M

Not in the league of Germany of Australia in absolute terms, but as a % of GDP, or measured per capita, some of those are very substantial. The US contribution, $350M, is about 0.003% of GDP, $1.20 per capita, and 0.015% of the federal budget. Qatar's, by contrast, is 0.14% of GDP, $30 per capita, and 0.35% of the budget.

In relative terms, then, Qatar's contribution was somewhere between 20 and 50 times more generous than our own. Given how small the populations of all these countries are, and how small their economies, you could say something similar for all of them.
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
Interesting how i don't see one Arab country is the top ten list of donors. Are they doing or donating anything? They seem to always find money to fund terrorists so why can't they chip in to help their Muslim brothers?

Saudi Arabia, where are you?

Even Israel is doing more, having sent rescue units to Indonesia and other countries.

Uh-oh...someone's been listening to winger-radio again....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Towel
From CNN:
Algeria - $2M
Bahrain - $2M
Kuwait - $10M
Libya - $2M
Qatar - $25M
Saudi Arabia - $30M
UAE - $20M

Not in the league of Germany of Australia in absolute terms, but as a % of GDP, or measured per capita, some of those are very substantial. The US contribution, $350M, is about 0.003% of GDP, $1.20 per capita, and 0.015% of the federal budget. Qatar's, by contrast, is 0.14% of GDP, $30 per capita, and 0.35% of the budget.

In relative terms, then, Qatar's contribution was somewhere between 20 and 50 times more generous than our own. Given how small the populations of all these countries are, and how small their economies, you could say something similar for all of them.

I'd actually like to see the number on private donations from these people as well. I know I've seen line ups at places like Red Cross offices in Canada for people to donate. GDP and per capita numbers are worthless if they only take governmental contributions into account. They don't show how generous a people actually are.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Tulkas
I'd actually like to see the number on private donations from these people as well. I know I've seen line ups at places like Red Cross offices in Canada for people to donate. GDP and per capita numbers are worthless if they only take governmental contributions into account. They don't show how generous a people actually are.

I don't necessarily mean you Tulkas but I find such comparisons as 'who gave what' a little tasteless.

It's not a competition. People should give according to their conscience and it's really nothing to do with anyone else.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Tulkas
I'd actually like to see the number on private donations from these people as well. I know I've seen line ups at places like Red Cross offices in Canada for people to donate. GDP and per capita numbers are worthless if they only take governmental contributions into account. They don't show how generous a people actually are.

Hey, the original poster came up with some unsubstatiated and, frankly, hatefull accusations against Arab countries. When he is proved wrong big time by some factual data, please don't discredit this by fishing for something else that might be more in tune with your twisted view of the world. And if you do want to say something on the subject, at least make the effort to look a thing or two up yourself.
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
Reply
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
Reply
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by SpcMs
Hey, the original poster came up with some unsubstatiated and, frankly, hatefull accusations against Arab countries. When he is proved wrong big time by some factual data, please don't discredit this by fishing for something else that might be more in tune with your twisted view of the world. And if you do want to say something on the subject, at least make the effort to look a thing or two up yourself.

Hey,
1)WTF is your problem?
2)Did I make an accusation, skew data, fish or anything else? No.
3)And if I had been trying to make a point, you are among the last people to be giving me guidelines on posting. If I'd like to post a question, I will do so.
While we are at it, twit, how is wanting to include actual donations people of a country make any less valid than only counting governmental donations? Really, it's probably a better metric of generousity, if one is trying measure that. This applies to both the comments from steve666 and from Towel.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
I don't necessarily mean you Tulkas but I find such comparisons as 'who gave what' a little tasteless.

It's not a competition. People should give according to their conscience and it's really nothing to do with anyone else.

I would agree. But, the people blasting the US for not contributing enough need to look beyond government totals. And as you said about giving according to conscience, people have conscience, governments do not.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Tulkas
I would agree. But, the people blasting the US for not contributing enough need to look beyond government totals. And as you said about giving according to conscience, people have conscience, governments do not.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but as I posted in the other tsumani thread, the estimate of private donations by Americans is about $200M, which is very similar in absolute terms, according to that CNN table, to the private donations from Germans (also $200M) or Brits ($146M). Obviously our private donations are less per capita or as %GDP than either of those two.

Speaking of Arabs, a Saudi telethon raised over $45M in ten hours. The Saudi people, then, also appear to be more generous than Americans. In order to match the Saudis for per-person, private donations, Americans would have to ante up over a half-billion dollars - never minding that the average American is more than three times richer than the average Saudi.

We simply don't have a monopoly on generosity when it comes to these sorts of things. In fact, in many ways we're less generous, given our numbers and our wealth, than others. Odd that this fact is most bothersome to the same sort of people who advocate eliminating foreign aid altogether.
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Tulkas
Hey,
1)WTF is your problem?
2)Did I make an accusation, skew data, fish or anything else? No.
3)And if I had been trying to make a point, you are among the last people to be giving me guidelines on posting. If I'd like to post a question, I will do so.
While we are at it, twit, how is wanting to include actual donations people of a country make any less valid than only counting governmental donations? Really, it's probably a better metric of generousity, if one is trying measure that. This applies to both the comments from steve666 and from Towel.

I think you got my problem.
And yes, you went fishing when you shifted the discussion from the original point to private donations only. And no you didn't look up anything because one post up Towel explains why Arab countries are more generous than US people no matter what way you look at it, be it private or public donations.
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
Reply
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
Reply
post #12 of 48
Listening in to KPFK radio the other morning, in a live feed from Indonesia, there was this urgent appeal by a charity official not to send money to the Indonesian Government, because (according to this official) corrupt elements in the Indonesian govt. are siphoning off most of the donations. He was appealing to donate to reputable aid organizations, such as Direct Relief International
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #13 of 48
Thread Starter 
Well, good, now I got my answer.
In my paper there was a list of donator countries and not one Muslim country was listed.
Now, apparently, that has changed. I guess speed of donations only applies to the US. We were obviously much faster to respond than the Arabs. Now they're playing catch-up.

Well, the more the merrier
post #14 of 48
I'm sure Saudi Arabia will come forth with a generous offer to rebuild two fold the number of madrases distorted by the tsunami. That way the orphans have a place to call home.

A lot of arab press is that this "act of god" was meant to send a message and by extension these people should suffer the full wrath and not be helped.
post #15 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I'm sure Saudi Arabia will come forth with a generous offer to rebuild two fold the number of madrases distorted by the tsunami. That way the orphans have a place to call home.

A lot of arab press is that this "act of god" was meant to send a message and by extension these people should suffer the full wrath and not be helped.

Actually, some right wing Christians have said the same thing in the US.
Ultra-religious idiocy knows no borders
post #16 of 48
Also, when determining which charity organization to donate to, it's important to realize that not all charities are equal in terms of how they handle donations.

From what I've heard, World Vision, for example, takes 30% of all donations as an administrative fee. To me this is unbelievable. Administrative costs do not go up at the same rate as donations. This policy is theft. Plain and simple.
post #17 of 48
Isn't that what the UN charges?
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Isn't that what the UN charges?


How could there be a thread in PO without you not mentioning UN? Bravo. Bravo.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I'm sure Saudi Arabia will come forth with a generous offer to rebuild two fold the number of madrases distorted by the tsunami. That way the orphans have a place to call home.

A lot of arab press is that this "act of god" was meant to send a message and by extension these people should suffer the full wrath and not be helped.

Any chance of the particular paper name, transliterated text and a direct translation on that ?

Or have you been reading Memri again ?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
Actually, some right wing Christians have said the same thing in the US.
Ultra-religious idiocy knows no borders


Maybe but "Ultra-religious" is the norm in SA. Meanwhile many christian aid groups already operate in the affected part of the world and are getting flooded with donations from christians.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Also, when determining which charity organization to donate to, it's important to realize that not all charities are equal in terms of how they handle donations.

From what I've heard, World Vision, for example, takes 30% of all donations as an administrative fee. To me this is unbelievable. Administrative costs do not go up at the same rate as donations. This policy is theft. Plain and simple.


30% isn't so bad.

www.charitywatch.org

and

www.give.org
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Any chance of the particular paper name, transliterated text and a direct translation on that ?

Silly question....bygones....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
Well, good, now I got my answer.
In my paper there was a list of donator countries and not one Muslim country was listed.
Now, apparently, that has changed. I guess speed of donations only applies to the US. We were obviously much faster to respond than the Arabs. Now they're playing catch-up.

How does it figure that "the Arabs" are "playing catch-up" to the US??

You based this on what, your using one source of information ("your paper")?

The fact that "your paper" didn't list them initially, doesn't mean they all weren't preparing funds at the time, from early on.

I have no info that they were, but that is moot, the point is that your logic leading to your conclusion is faulty.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by SpcMs
I think you got my problem.
And yes, you went fishing when you shifted the discussion from the original point to private donations only. And no you didn't look up anything because one post up Towel explains why Arab countries are more generous than US people no matter what way you look at it, be it private or public donations.

Shift what? Donations are donations, aid is aid. To only look at one component of international aid, as it relates to a particular nation, itself skews the data.

I really don't care who is 'more' generous. It does seems some people will go out of their way to focus on only that aspects of an issue that fit their way of thinking. You are one of those people. I asked a fair and reasonble questions. Towel answered it in a civil and informed manner. You throw a tantrum that the question was asked.

You are right, I do know your problem. You have to take a moment, take a really deep breath and pull the gigantic bug out of your ass, and realize that sometimes a question is just a question.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #25 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Maybe but "Ultra-religious" is the norm in SA. Meanwhile many christian aid groups already operate in the affected part of the world and are getting flooded with donations from christians.

This is true, and I'm sure mainstream Muslims are contributing also.
Wouldn't it be nice if Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States put their money to good use instead of supporting extremist schools and Imams and sending money to terrorist groups?
post #26 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
How does it figure that "the Arabs" are "playing catch-up" to the US??

You based this on what, your using one source of information ("your paper")?

The fact that "your paper" didn't list them initially, doesn't mean they all weren't preparing funds at the time, from early on.

I have no info that they were, but that is moot, the point is that your logic leading to your conclusion is faulty.

At the time, the paper listed all current donations from all countries, so my conclusion is actually quite correct.
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
This is true, and I'm sure mainstream Muslims are contributing also.
Wouldn't it be nice if Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States put their money to good use instead of supporting extremist schools and Imams and sending money to terrorist groups?

Boy did you say it, I saw a list of countries and you know who OWNs the bottom of the list ? thats right all the Islamic ones. Actions speak louder then words and by the actions of these Islamic countries its pretty clear to me that they could give S_ _ t! Is anyone surprised? Im not. Its their culture.....and religeon. It doesnt teach the compassion and LOVE that Jesus taught it teaches jihad,murder,hate, etc etc.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Boy did you say it, I saw a list of countries and you know who OWNs the bottom of the list ? thats right all the Islamic ones. Actions speak louder then words and by the actions of these Islamic countries its pretty clear to me that they could give S_ _ t! Is anyone surprised? Im not. Its their culture.....and religeon. It doesnt teach the compassion and LOVE that Jesus taught it teaches jihad,murder,hate, etc etc.

This post teaches hate.
orange you just glad?
Reply
orange you just glad?
Reply
post #29 of 48
Too bad Jesus doesn't teach you how to type or spell.

By the way, if you're Christian, you should love, forgive and feel compassion for Muslims, even if they are your enemy in war.

But you aren't Christian, you are Hypocrite.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #30 of 48
Think it was just a bad joke. Right?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
Too bad Jesus doesn't teach you how to type or spell.



'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #32 of 48
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
Too bad Jesus doesn't teach you how to type or spell.

By the way, if you're Christian, you should love, forgive and feel compassion for Muslims, even if they are your enemy in war.

But you aren't Christian, you are Hypocrite.

Your not a hypocrit for telling the truth,look up the definition and while your at it look up what those muslim countries were doing and compare it to the western non Muslim countries. Truth does hurt doesnt it. Compassion and love arent exactley the high points of the Muslim world is it?
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Your not a hypocrit for telling the truth,look up the definition and while your at it look up what those muslim countries were doing and compare it to the western non Muslim countries. Truth does hurt doesnt it. Compassion and love arent exactley the high points of the Muslim world is it?

Oh, look, the Nazis are back....what to do....ho hum....

Try logical debate ? Never worked before but you never know...

Abuse ? Hmmm

Ignore ? Not bad - but diseases can spread and require surgery...

Decision, decisions.....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Compassion and love arent exactley the high points of the Muslim world is it?

I wouldn't know. It happens I don't know any Muslims, nor have I been in a predominantly Muslim country. Same for you, I assume.

Until then, I won't demonize an entire people, thank you.

My experience with Christians in my own country, however, leads me to believe that compassion and love aren't exactly the high points of the Christian world, either, except in hollow words alone.

American Christians, oddly, are some of the least Christ-like people I've ever seen. Too bad, because I like some of the basic tenets of Christianity, but so few Christians actually follow them \ I know Buddhists that are more Christian in their deeds, than the Christians I've met.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
I wouldn't know. It happens I don't know any Muslims, nor have I been in a predominantly Muslim country. Same for you, I assume.

Until then, I won't demonize an entire people, thank you.

My experience with Christians in my own country, however, leads me to believe that compassion and love aren't exactly the high points of the Christian world, either, except in hollow words alone.

American Christians, oddly, are some of the least Christ-like people I've ever seen.

Well, the issue of per capita giving in the Islamic world was put to bed definitively earlier by Towel so that just leaves a few sane posters holding back the tide, the intellectually challenged and a few stray racists in this thread.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #37 of 48
Christ is probably rotting in a federal detention center, stripped of all rights, because he has dark skin, bushy eyebrows and a beard and wears a robe and sandals and "looked suspicious".
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Its their culture.....and religeon. It doesnt teach the compassion and LOVE that Jesus taught it teaches jihad,murder,hate, etc etc.

The vast majority of U.S. troops will tell you that the Muslims they meet over there are all regular people, hardworking, honest, just trying to raise their kids in safety.

If this were not the case, we'd have millions dead by now and we'd be deep into a draft. As horrible as the insurgency is, it pales to how it would be if in fact the entire population wanted war.

Furthermore, you'd damn well better pray that that is the case, unless you want you or your kids getting drafted and having this escalate further.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #39 of 48
True extremist suck period! I dont care if we are talking Far right wing republicans, far left democrats,KKK,Nazi's,extreme Islam,Skin heads,etc and this list goes on and on. extremists all suck. You must admit though it was kind of sad for one of the richist countries like Saudi Arabia to donate a paltry 10 million dollars for their muslim brothers.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
Christ is probably rotting in a federal detention center, stripped of all rights, because he has dark skin, bushy eyebrows and a beard and wears a robe and sandals and "looked suspicious".

He acted pretty suspicious too - you don't get a Roman crucifixion for just fiddling your tax return - and then there is always this to consider from the man himself:

Quote:
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Not every one who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

On that day many will say to me, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'

And then will I declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.'

The 'evildoers' has quite a nice contemporary resonance non ?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Tsunami aid-where are the Arabs?