or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › "Infomal" graphics card+HW survey.

"Infomal" graphics card+HW survey.

post #1 of 14
I know many of you like to brag, err, list your hardware in your sig... What I'm really curious about is what kind of graphics (video) card and on which model, are most popular with AI'ers.

On to the survey.

I have a 733MHz Digital Audio that I dropped in a ATI 9800pro. That was a huge step up from the stock nVidia GeForce2 MX!

Just as an aside, I maxed out the RAM and replaced the stock HDD with two new HDDs. She runs Panther really nicely...

I may, not sure yet, upgrade the proccessor up the road a bit. Maybe...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #2 of 14
Oops, that should read "informal"...
post #3 of 14
Sawtooth G4 AGP w/ 1GHz proc upgd
ATI Radeon 32MB Mac Edition

Thinking about dropping in a 9800 as I think that is the only card I can put in this machine that will "support" Tigers Core Image/Video.
post #4 of 14
12" ibook 1ghz. 9200 radeon mobility 32mb (this GPU can't handle Core)
post #5 of 14
Dual 2gHz G5 with the 9600. Running Tiger now, it supports CI and Quartz 2-D Extreme - windows resize like glass. But based on the sessions at last year's WWDC, I'm convinced that it isn't the speed of the GPU but the VRAM that it has that makes Quartz 2-D Extreme optimized, since a huge part of the GPU-based API calls in Tiger are heavy on caching stuff in the GPU's memory.

So I'm looking to upgrade to some GPU that will have 256MB. The only thing holding me back is whether AGP is going away with the next PowerMac G5 speedbump, and if AGP 8X cards won't be of any use if the new G5 has PCIe. Anybody know whether AGP cards work in a PCIe slot?
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #6 of 14
1ghz tibook, 1gb ram, radeon 9000 mobilty
patiently awaiting the next major powerbook/powermac revision to upgrade.
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
post #7 of 14
I really do hope Apple at least, makes a PC-comparible high-end ATI or nVidia card available as a BTO option on their Powerbooks.

As far as my Digital Audio goes, I guess the 9800 is about as advanced a card as I can use in this machine. It was worth the price...

Quote:
Anybody know whether AGP cards work in a PCIe slot?

One of the tech-heads here should provide you with an answer shortly...
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by lundy
Anybody know whether AGP cards work in a PCIe slot?

No. If they worked in PCIe slots, then they'd be PCIe cards.
post #9 of 14
Ok, ok, I probably should have done this as a poll...

None the less, five replies...
post #10 of 14
The official specs on the Tiger page state that the 9600XT is supported for Core Image. According to the specs listed for my Rev. A dual 2GHz G5 it's got a 9600Pro... What's the diff and does the 9600Pro actually support Core Image?
nothing here, move along...
nothing here, move along...
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by hardhead
Ok, ok, I probably should have done this as a poll...

None the less, five replies...

That's probably because there are so few video cards available for the Mac, its not a interesting question. A better question would have been, How many of you felt compelled to mortgage the children and purchase a better video card then the included Apple crap.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #12 of 14
Wow Relic, (scratching my head...) I guess you're right.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by fulmer
does the 9600Pro actually support Core Image?

Yes.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #14 of 14
My sawtooth dual450 (now dual 1.4) video card history:
rage128pro --> radeon8500 --> radeon9800pro

Tiger runs like butter.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › "Infomal" graphics card+HW survey.