or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Immigration out of control-Newsweek

Immigration out of control-Newsweek

post #1 of 185
Robert J. Samuelson wrote a good article in the June 13 edition of Newsweek on the problems of mass immigration and illegal immigration.

One quote to entice:
" No society has a boundless capacity to accept newcomers, especially when many of them are poor or unskilled workers."

He also goes on to say that Mexicans are the poorest performing immigrants, even second generation. That's 30 percent of the total immigration level in 2000 that will continue to be a drain on this society.

26 percent of immigrants receive some form of Federal benefit.
35 percent lack health insurance.

More quotes:

" Being brutally candid means recognizing that the huge and largely uncontrolled inflow of unskilled latino workers into the United States is increasingly sabotaging the assimilation process."

"The more who arrive, the harder it will be for existing low-skilled workers to advance".

""The more poor immigrants, the harder it will be for schools to improve the skills of their children. The schools will be overwhelmed; the same goes for social services."

"We could also make more sensible decisions about legal immigrants-favoring the skilled over the un-skilled."

Sounds like a mainstream economist is coming around to the seriousness of the situation. The larger the unskilled latino population grows, the worse off America is. Expect more articles to be written on the current situation. Immigration is out of control and is the single greatest threat to the future of the United States.

All of my local policitians are finding out how concerned their constituents are about the problem. My local paper said at town meetings they expected to be hectored about potholes, medical costs, etc.,etc, but what surprised them was the voracity and frequency of complaints about illegal immigration and overpopulation.

It's time to end the madness and let your politicians know that the problem is real and to deal with it head-on and with candor, minus the timidity that current politicians are showing towards the immigration problem.

http://www.fairus.org
post #2 of 185
Racism out of control - Segovius
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #3 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius

No its a Border thats out of control along with Washington.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #4 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora

Fair enough, I can't comment on the US situation but racism (particularly focused on immigration issues) is rampant in Europe and has started increasing four years ago.

The problem is so bad in the UK that the government (which is Islamophobic itself) has been forced to introduce a law which makes hate speech on racist grounds or against religions in public an offence punishable by jail time.

Could be bad news for some people on here actually.
post #5 of 185
Here in the States George and his republicans have set us back years and years on everything from Immigration to how the world looks at us to the enviroment to healthcare to building a military complex that doesnt seem to answer to anyone. Immigration is just icing on the cake for what i see as the worst presidency since Carter. Its Funny they dont want to touch the immigration issue but they find it easy to pass the Unpatriotic Patriot act. Washington sucks.
post #6 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
Robert J. Samuelson wrote a good article in the June 13 edition of Newsweek on the problems of mass immigration and illegal immigration.

One quote to entice:
" No society has a boundless capacity to accept newcomers, especially when many of them are poor or unskilled workers."

He also goes on to say that Mexicans are the poorest performing immigrants, even second generation. That's 30 percent of the total immigration level in 2000 that will continue to be a drain on this society.

26 percent of immigrants receive some form of Federal benefit.
35 percent lack health insurance.

More quotes:

" Being brutally candid means recognizing that the huge and largely uncontrolled inflow of unskilled latino workers into the United States is increasingly sabotaging the assimilation process."

"The more who arrive, the harder it will be for existing low-skilled workers to advance".

""The more poor immigrants, the harder it will be for schools to improve the skills of their children. The schools will be overwhelmed; the same goes for social services."

"We could also make more sensible decisions about legal immigrants-favoring the skilled over the un-skilled."

Sounds like a mainstream economist is coming around to the seriousness of the situation. The larger the unskilled latino population grows, the worse off America is. Expect more articles to be written on the current situation. Immigration is out of control and is the single greatest threat to the future of the United States.

All of my local policitians are finding out how concerned their constituents are about the problem. My local paper said at town meetings they expected to be hectored about potholes, medical costs, etc.,etc, but what surprised them was the voracity and frequency of complaints about illegal immigration and overpopulation.

It's time to end the madness and let your politicians know that the problem is real and to deal with it head-on and with candor, minus the timidity that current politicians are showing towards the immigration problem.

Amen.

Get the military on the borders and stop it like quick.
post #7 of 185
.......before they steal our jobs and our women with their enormous manhoods.
post #8 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Amen.

Get the military on the borders and stop it like quick.

Bush doesnt want to, its easier to take away rights from every single American then it is for him to enforce our Border. Plus if he didnt have terrorist coming across the border he couldnt grow the police state. He is a pathetic president in so many ways... Osama still roams the earth................George's answer to all? the Patriot Act. They should have called it the Police Act or the Liberty killing act. America wake up. The President is Guilty of dereliction of duty of his Oath of office.
post #9 of 185
Quote:
Bush doesnt want to, its easier to take away rights from every single American then it is for him to enforce our Border. Plus if he didnt have terrorist coming across the border he couldnt grow the police state. He is a pathetic president in so many ways... Osama still roams the earth................George's answer to all? the Patriot Act. They should have called it the Police Act or the Liberty killing act. America wake up. The President is Guilty of dereliction of duty of his Oath of office.

Well you see, this is where I get confused (not really) about things.

When this subject comes up, we all hear a obnoxiously loud outcry for the "rights" of illegals, I mean "undocumented workers". "We can't take human dignity away from them"... "they just want a better life"... bla bla bla.

On the other hand we hear you advocating treason charges or dod against the president.

If the president put's the military on the border, the onslaught of lawsuits will be so fast and overwhelming we all will get whiplash.

I am not sure there is anything this president could do that would not cause a huge firestorm on the home-front.

Wartime catch 22.
post #10 of 185
This problem is easily solved - you just remove welfare and unemployement benefits for non-citizens, and you outsource jails back to Mexico (i.e. Mexican illegals who go to jail would be sent to a low-cost jail run by Mexican contractors south of the border).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #11 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
This problem is easily solved - you just remove welfare and unemployement benefits for non-citizens

And the result is MASSIVE crime.

The only solution to all of this is EITHER to set up a guest worker program OR to aggressively prosecute those business who hire them.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #12 of 185
Quote:

Bingo
post #13 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius

You're calling Robert Samuelson a racist?
I know you would call me that, even though I have stated the same things that this article states forever.
I thought perhaps since you guys are always asking me to give you some legitimate info from a legitimate source that perhaps you would open your minds and realize that a problem exists.

Oh well, I will keep bringing the message, some will get it, some won't.
post #14 of 185
Quote:

Bush is a train wreck. So far, he has to go down in history as the worst President we have ever had, after Jimmy carter. At least Jimmy Carter had good intentions.
post #15 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Well you see, this is where I get confused (not really) about things.

When this subject comes up, we all hear a obnoxiously loud outcry for the "rights" of illegals, I mean "undocumented workers". "We can't take human dignity away from them"... "they just want a better life"... bla bla bla.

On the other hand we hear you advocating treason charges or dod against the president.

If the president put's the military on the border, the onslaught of lawsuits will be so fast and overwhelming we all will get whiplash.

I am not sure there is anything this president could do that would not cause a huge firestorm on the home-front.

Wartime catch 22.

He has the right to put troops on the border. They cant sue for that, however they have sued every time Congress tries to do the right thing and cut off all services (except emergency medical care) for illegals and legal immigrants. Then, the wimps back down. I say, the Govmnt should sue the suers for bringing on worthless lawsuits.
post #16 of 185
1. We should put troops on the border. Mexico protects its South border, we can protect ours. Are the Mexicans racist against Central Americans?

2. Raid jobsites in thge US . Illegals found, shut down the job and fine the company and of course send the illegals home. Repeat companies shut down for good.

Too bad US Gov has no real interest in closing the borders.
Moe has left the building
Moe has left the building
post #17 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by Moe_in_Texas
1. We should put troops on the border. Mexico protects its South border, we can protect ours. Are the Mexicans racist against Central Americans?

2. Raid jobsites in thge US . Illegals found, shut down the job and fine the company and of course send the illegals home. Repeat companies shut down for good.

Thats exactly right. Mexico sends back Central Americans the second it finds them. We should be doing the same.
Its atrocious that Shrub and Congress are trying to pass another damn amnesty when the problem will only grow and they will once again reward illegal behavior.
post #18 of 185
The U.S. Government isnt accountable to its people, its accountable to Big Business and every day of George Bush only confirms this for me. Republicans are going to get kicked out and it will be decades again before the American People let them back. America is slow to react but react it will . History 101 but George missed that just as he did the vietnam war.
post #19 of 185
Quote:
Thats exactly right. Mexico sends back Central Americans the second it finds them. We should be doing the same.
Its atrocious that Shrub and Congress are trying to pass another damn amnesty when the problem will only grow and they will once again reward illegal behavior.

1. Are you willing to pay $8/lb for peaches?
2. Are you willing to earn minimum wage working as a seasonal farm hand?

You have to choose one or the other if you want to stop small farms from hiring illegal mexican labor.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #20 of 185
Quote:
And the result is MASSIVE crime.

So spend the saved welfare money on extra cops.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #21 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
1. Are you willing to pay $8/lb for peaches?
2. Are you willing to earn minimum wage working as a seasonal farm hand?

You have to choose one or the other if you want to stop small farms from hiring illegal mexican labor.

I think there needs to be a guest worker program for farm workers only.
They should get a card and be able to move back and forth as the season warrants.
The farms should have to provide shelter for them-good shelter.
This should not be able to lead to citizenship.
post #22 of 185
Quote:
The U.S. Government isnt accountable to its people, its accountable to Big Business and every day of George Bush only confirms this for me. Republicans are going to get kicked out and it will be decades again before the American People let them back. America is slow to react but react it will . History 101 but George missed that just as he did the vietnam war.

The only hope is a third party.
A few huge noisy protests are also needed.

Join FAIR and get in on the fight with me:

post #23 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by Moe_in_Texas

1. Yes.

Actually...

"2nd generation immigrants" aren't immigrants, they're citizens.

And the quoted comments in the first post aren't specifically towards illegals.

And as I said elsewhere in the last of steve652 propagandizing posts, most illegals are legal immigrants who over stay their visas, NaplesX...

This is racism at its core...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #24 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
1. Yes.

Actually...

And as I said elsewhere in the last of steve652 propagandizing posts, most illegals are legal immigrants who over stay their visas, NaplesX...

Why mention my name, I was born here as were for like 5 or six generations. My family came over legally way back when from England and Scotland and Germany.

Unless you wanted me to point out that "overstaying" a visa is still being illegal. I mean, why make rules...
post #25 of 185
Quote:
1. Yes.

Actually...

So you are calling Robert Samuelson racist?
That's the punk way out-you have no argument so you go with the name calling.
Typical.
post #26 of 185
Quote:
Typical.

I don't personally think he's a racist, but I do believe that all anti-immigrant movements like this one are classistand racism is a subset of classism. It was this way 100-150 years ago; it is today.

post #27 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
I don't personally think he's a racist, but I do believe that all anti-immigrant movements like this one are classistand racism is a subset of classism. It was this way 100-150 years ago; it is today.

Thats ridiculous. So there can never be a rational discussion about immigration. And those who are against illegal immigration will always be branded racist.
Hard to have a debate about a serious issue when one side refuses to acknowledge that the issue is serious enough to warrant a look at the positives and negatives of mass immigration.
post #28 of 185
Quote:
Thats ridiculous.

So my position that racism is a subset of classism is "ridiculous"? Powerful counter-argument you have there.

Quote:
So there can never be a rational discussion about immigration.

There has NEVER been a rational discussion about illegal immigration. Anywhere. Ever. America, for its earliest days, has always possessed factions that were vehementlyeven violentlyanti-immigration. Ironic, of course, for a nation of immigrants to act this way, but there you are. (Sort of like the English hating the French, considering the French conquered them in 1066 and never left.) Despite its hyperbole, the anti-immigration sentiments in The Gangs of New York did exist.

I'll make a few points: 1) Illegal immigrants are illegal and should be treated as if they are breaking the law. 2) Stopping them is impossible and, 3) Would mean death to huge sectors of the economy.

The over-arching point here, of course, is simply that America's bourgeoisie has a long history of enjoying relative luxury at the expense of an effective slave class. It was that way in the 19th century. We've simply replaced the farm labor with people from Mexico.

You want to stop illegal immigration? Start arguing for an end to farm subsidies. Start complaining that your vegetables are too cheap. Start demanding that your produce be picked only by legal workers.

Here's a nice little moment: every time you purchase anything that used illegal immigrant labor in its productionand this includes buying oranges or having construction doneyou are complicit in the system you're attacking.

Fun, isn't' it? It's just like the faux-hippies railing against big oil and then cruising the streets in their SUVs. Except this is inescapable.

Demand it from your farmers. Demand that your local government crack down on those businesses that use illegal labor. Kindly explain to everyone that our veggies are too cheap and our day labor is woefully underpaid.

Quote:
Hard to have a debate about a serious issue when one side refuses to acknowledge that the issue is serious enough to warrant a look at the positives and negatives of mass immigration.

Indeed. The problem is that, at this point, it's simply intractable. There is no way to "fix" it. People move around. They always have.
post #29 of 185
You know what I think? If Hillary Clinton suddenly came out and said exactly what Robert Samuelson said you would suddenly agree.

He is a mainstream economist pointing out the problems with our current immigration system and you are basically ignoring the argument by falling back on the racism canard and the "we can't do anything about it" lazy response.

You can do better than that.
post #30 of 185
Quote:
You know what I think? If Hillary Clinton suddenly came out and said exactly what Robert Samuelson said you would suddenly agree.

It would be a lot better if you would deal with what I actually said rather than just make up arguments you imagine I might make (and I fucking despise Senator Clinton, FWIW).

Quote:
He is a mainstream economist pointing out the problems with our current immigration system and you are basically ignoring the argument by falling back on the racism canard and the "we can't do anything about it" lazy response.

You can do better than that.

Did you miss my call for a guest worker program? Did you miss my call for the gov't to crack down on businesses that hire illegal workers? Did you miss my argument that there would be wide-ranging economic implications? Did you miss my call for Americans to suck it up if they really want this?

Jesus. I presented a thoughtful, if rambling response, and this is what you fucking come back with? Why don't you re-read what I wrote.
post #31 of 185
Quote:
Typical.

I have arguments. I made them already. You didn't respond to any of them in the previous thread.

Mr. Samuelson is asking you to believe that all latinos (specifically Mexicans) are lazy. That is racism.

He doesn't ask why immigrants from latin american countries are "poor performers," whatever that means. Likely reason: language, and preservation of language over generations (unlike most other immigrants, spanish is very much tied to the culture of these immigrants in ways that most others perhaps cannot understand).

He also is trying to push off poor performing schools on immigrants, which sir, is a cop out. Schools are performing badly all over the fucking place.

etcetcetc
post #32 of 185
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
It would be a lot better if you would deal with what I actually said rather than just make up arguments you imagine I might make (and I fucking despise Senator Clinton, FWIW).

Did you miss my call for a guest worker program? Did you miss my call for the gov't to crack down on businesses that hire illegal workers? Did you miss my argument that there would be wide-ranging economic implications? Did you miss my call for Americans to suck it up if they really want this?

Jesus. I presented a thoughtful, if rambling response, and this is what you fucking come back with? Why don't you re-read what I wrote.

Whatever you write gets lost when the 'racist' plank gets raised. Next time leave it out and stick to the point you are trying to make.
post #33 of 185
Quote:
Whatever you write gets lost when the 'racist' plank gets raised. Next time leave it out and stick to the point you are trying to make.

Another cop out.

Edit: Ball-less punk.
post #34 of 185
Quote:
I have arguments. I made them already. You didn't respond to any of them in the previous thread.

Mr. Samuelson is asking you to believe that all latinos (specifically Mexicans) are lazy. That is racism.

He doesn't ask why immigrants from latin american countries are "poor performers," whatever that means. Likely reason: language, and preservation of language over generations (unlike most other immigrants, spanish is very much tied to the culture of these immigrants in ways that most others perhaps cannot understand).

He also is trying to push off poor performing schools on immigrants, which sir, is a cop out. Schools are performing badly all over the fucking place.

etcetcetc

I snipped quotes from the article. If you read the whole article, theres nothing racist about it, just listing facts. The cause of latino's poor performance is implied that there is something in latino culture that doesn't put an emphasis on education and assimilation. That is a valid argument, whether its nice or not isn't the issue. Whether or not it is true is an issue. To me, to that economist, to the fellow that did the research it sure seems to be that way.
What he also said is that we need to do something to improve their lot in this country for their sake and ours. The resulting conclusion is that further high rates of immigration will make that job more difficult, and I agree with this assessment.
As for schools being bad, you can look at the performance of different immigrant groups and the native born population and latinos are by far the poorest performers. This needs to be addressed, whether you think its racist or not.
post #35 of 185
Quote:
Another cop out.

Edit: Ball-less punk.

You are unbelievable.
Try to be less emotional when you argue, it works better.
post #36 of 185
Quote:
You are unbelievable.
Maybe you should leave the discussion to the adults.

I am just using your level of discussion.
post #37 of 185
Quote:
I am just using your level of discussion.

My discussion is based on an article that a respected economist wrote and the dissection of it.
My level of discussion is to look at the facts that are on the ground.
You can't sit there and say that what he is saying is not true.
If you want to argue about the causes, fine, but the situation is what it is.
post #38 of 185
Quote:
I snipped quotes from the article. If you read the whole article, theres nothing racist about it, just listing facts. The cause of latino's poor performance is implied that there is something in latino culture that doesn't put an emphasis on education and assimilation. That is a valid argument, whether its nice or not isn't the issue. Whether or not it is true is an issue. To me, to that economist, to the fellow that did the research it sure seems to be that way.
What he also said is that we need to do something to improve their lot in this country for their sake and ours. The resulting conclusion is that further high rates of immigration will make that job more difficult, and I agree with this assessment.
As for schools being bad, you can look at the performance of different immigrant groups and the native born population and latinos are by far the poorest performers. This needs to be addressed, whether you think its racist or not.

I don't read newsweek. Your quotes indicate a selective use of language without defining any of his terms.

I can say white christian males are by far the worst performers. But what does that mean? Unless I make my evaluation clear (in this case I choose any evaluation system that will prove me correct), it is a meaningless statement and any opinions derived from these sorts of statements are also meaningless.
post #39 of 185
Quote:
My discussion is based on an article that a respected economist wrote and the dissection of it.
My level of discussion is to look at the facts that are on the ground.
You can't sit there and say that what he is saying is not true.
If you want to argue about the causes, fine, but the situation is what it is.

You aren't arguing about what is occurring on the ground. You are arguing about what is going on in these psuedopundit's minds. They are jerking off to the population of Americans, like yourself, who want reasons to fear something they barely understand.
post #40 of 185
Quote:
I don't read newsweek. Your quotes indicate a selective use of language without defining any of his terms.

I can say white christian males are by far the worst performers. But what does that mean? Unless I make my evaluation clear (in this case I choose any evaluation system that will prove me correct), it is a meaningless statement and any opinions derived from these sorts of statements are also meaningless.

Its not meaningless, the facts are quite simple.
Latinos drop out of High School at a higher rate than any other ethnic group in the US.
Latinos go to College at a lower rate than any other ethnic group.
The speculation is that further high immigration rates of uneducated immigrants is bad for this country-true or false?
The speculation is that further high latino immigration rates make it more difficult for latinos already here to move up the ladder and make more money.

I'll give you the last word if you want it, my typing hand hurts (damn arthritis).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Immigration out of control-Newsweek