or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: Intel Macs may sing a different tune, Mac OS X 10.4.4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: Intel Macs may sing a different tune, Mac OS X 10.4.4

post #1 of 103
Thread Starter 
When Apple Computer introduces its first Macs with Intel processors next year, onlookers could be surprised to hear an unfamiliar sound as the systems boot up and load a native copy of Apple's Mac OS X "Tiger" operating system, sources say.

The sound heard as a Mac powers up -- often referred to as a "boot chime" -- has remained a constant on Apple's computer's for nearly a decade, with the last modification coming around the time the company introduced its PowerPC-based Power Macs.

Sources say prototypes of the first Intel Macs currently sport an unfamiliar boot chime, suggesting that Apple is at least toying with the idea making the change -- possibly to symbolize the Mac's evolution from PowerPC to Intel processors.

Without describing the new boot chime, sources quipped that it "doesn't sound anything like the 'Intel Inside' chime heard in most of the chip maker's media advertisements."

It also remains to be seen whether Apple will implement the boot chime modification in shipping Intel Macs, or if the change is meant only to help distinguish pre-production systems.

Mac OS X 10.4.4 progress

In related Apple news, sources and reports already present on the Internet say Apple this week released to developers build 8G17 of Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update -- a forthcoming maintenance release to the company's Tiger operating system.

Previous reports indicate that a later milestone of Mac OS X 10.4.4 may be the first version of Tiger to ship on Intel-based Mac systems. The release is also rumored to deliver fixes for AirPort and Bluetooth wireless access, Spotlight indexing and searching, and RAW camera support.
post #2 of 103
When was the current chime first used? I want to say it was the Quadra line, since that was my first Mac (well not mine, but at work). I remember the chime sounded great through the studio's speakers

And I think they changed the chime to something else for some models, and then returned to the current chime--with the first PowerMacs?

What I miss is the "failure" boot sounds. I remember some Macs used to make a really queasy out-of-tune chime to indicate inability to boot (RAM failure?)--it was kind of funny. And other Macs played the sound of a car wreck. A little humor as your project deadline is destroyed...

I have never seen a Mac crash on powerup that way, not since I worked there. (Funny how they had a lot of used equipment...) Do Macs still have a "failure" chime that plays if the Mac can't even display anything on the screen? Pre-gray-Apple?
post #3 of 103
The original sound file upon which all current startup sounds are derived from was first created for the Quadra 840 AV. It replaced the "match-stick" startup sound used in the Quadra 700/900. The first Power PC machines (pdm, carl segan, cold fusion) used a sampled guitar sound. For later models, this was replaced with a re-sampled version of the Quadra 840 AV file.
post #4 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
What I miss is the "failure" boot sounds. I remember some Macs used to make a really queasy out-of-tune chime to indicate inability to boot (RAM failure?)--it was kind of funny. And other Macs played the sound of a car wreck. A little humor as your project deadline is destroyed...

Nope, they don't have a "death" chime anymore. But there were some pretty good ones in the past.

Here's the car crash sound you're thinking of. It was in the early Power Macs.

The older Quadras played a "Twilight Zone" theme.

The Quadra AV had a kind of strange death chime.

This one's my favorite. BUM BUM BUM! (crash) It was in some of the 5xxx, 62xx, and 63xx Performas, and was a big, obnoxious tritone.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
post #5 of 103
The chime has dropped in pitch by at least a half-step twice, since the late 90's. For a while, I had a Quadra, and Powermac 603e, and a Sawtooth G4 all in the same room, and the pitch was seqentially lower-tuned on each one. Not that big of a deal, but they have been tinkering with it over the years.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply
post #6 of 103
Quote:
[i]Mac OS X 10.4.4 progress

In related Apple news, sources and reports already present on the Internet say Apple this week released to developers build 8G17 of Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update -- a forthcoming maintenance release to the company's Tiger operating system.

Previous reports indicate that a later milestone of Mac OS X 10.4.4 may be the first version of Tiger to ship on Intel-based Mac systems. The release is also rumored to deliver fixes for AirPort and Bluetooth wireless access, Spotlight indexing and searching, and RAW camera support. [/B]

I would hope that they do some serious tweaking of the RAW support. Aperture is sorely in need of pro camera support.

ie. Kodak DCR files.

btw, I also hope that Craperture is updated to address its serious file system issues.
post #7 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesS
Nope, they don't have a "death" chime anymore. But there were some pretty good ones in the past.

Thanks--what you call the Twilight Zone is the "queasy chime" I'm thinking of

The guitar startup must be the other one we had, before they changed back to the current one.

Before that, were all Macs the same? Just that little beep that the "yellow Macs" made?
post #8 of 103
10.4.4 on the first Mactel's might be a bit premature.

The first rumors said that we would be seeing an iBook in January, then it said a Mini, then it said an iBook and a Powerbook, then all three. After that we were treated to the idea of the iMac coming out in January as well.

The latest rumors, however, by those who say they have visited the production plants, go back to saying that the first machines will be announced June 6th.

If that one is true, we might be seeing 10.4.6 instead.
post #9 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
10.4.4 on the first Mactel's might be a bit premature.

The first rumors said that we would be seeing an iBook in January, then it said a Mini, then it said an iBook and a Powerbook, then all three. After that we were treated to the idea of the iMac coming out in January as well.

The latest rumors, however, by those who say they have visited the production plants, go back to saying that the first machines will be announced June 6th.

If that one is true, we might be seeing 10.4.6 instead.

Hopefully, your totally wrong and we get the new macintels in Jan/Feb. Hopefully, it doesn't take Apple to long to get a subnotebook out to make travel much easier for me. The 12" is getting too big.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #10 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
I would hope that they do some serious tweaking of the RAW support. Aperture is sorely in need of pro camera support.

ie. Kodak DCR files.

btw, I also hope that Craperture is updated to address its serious file system issues.

I tried to use Aperture on Thursday and it would not read any of my cameras RAW files, even though they are in the correct CR2 format. Oh well, maybe Apple did rush this one out a little too quickly. I just wonder whether we'll have to wait three years for an update as we did with Keynote! Incidentally Keynote 2 is great, I digress!
post #11 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
Hopefully, your totally wrong and we get the new macintels in Jan/Feb. Hopefully, it doesn't take Apple to long to get a subnotebook out to make travel much easier for me. The 12" is getting too big.

I'm not right or wrong here. It's what has been reported. Many here on the board are already familiar with the reports.
post #12 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
Hopefully, your totally wrong and we get the new macintels in Jan/Feb. Hopefully, it doesn't take Apple to long to get a subnotebook out to make travel much easier for me. The 12" is getting too big.

Yeah, I don't believe those June 2006 rumours at all. They're about as believable as PowerPage's rumor that FireWire is going away in the new iBooks. Unless Apple makes some sort of converter for all those DV cameras out there that come with Firewire connectors, there's no way Firewire can be abandoned on Macs. (iPods, obviously, are a different story.)

And a subnotebook/superPDA/super-iPod is on my wishlist, too.
post #13 of 103
A new boot chime would be cool. Hopefully a beefy one that emphasises "POWER!", and spine tingly like THX's Deep note
post #14 of 103
OS X is so stable, the boot chime has become unheard of these parts.
post #15 of 103
To be totally anticlimactic, the new startup sound is going to be the "Sosumi" System Alert Sound.
post #16 of 103
The startup sound will be Steve saying "BOOM!, just like that".
post #17 of 103
It's about damn time to change that tune. It's such poor quality. Though, I must admit I'd probably miss it.
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
Reply
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
Reply
post #18 of 103
Oh brother!
post #19 of 103
GREAT NEWS!

can't wait for the new sound
post #20 of 103
Wow. A new chime. Innovation at its best.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #21 of 103
Mactracker has all the chime sounds.
post #22 of 103
Why do I have the feeling we're going to be buying downloadable boot tones from iTunes for $2.50?

I don't really care -- I boot my Macs less often than I have sex!
post #23 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
Why do I have the feeling we're going to be buying downloadable boot tones from iTunes for $2.50?

I don't really care -- I boot my Macs less often than I have sex!

Aww. So you're saying you don't get much action?
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
Reply
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
Reply
post #24 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
Why do I have the feeling we're going to be buying downloadable boot tones from iTunes for $2.50?

I don't really care -- I boot my Macs less often than I have sex!

Um..no, I won't.
post #25 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
I don't really care -- I boot my Macs less often than I have sex!

That means I should pity you yet congratulate you for a stable Mac?
post #26 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
Why do I have the feeling we're going to be buying downloadable boot tones from iTunes for $2.50?

I don't really care -- I boot my Macs less often than I have sex!

roflmyasstotallyoff
post #27 of 103
Wasn't there one with the march of death sound? I can't seem to remember which one it was.
post #28 of 103
Possible stupid question, but how do you change your start-up chime?

TIA
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #29 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Wow. A new chime. Innovation at its best.

post #30 of 103
First post!

Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
I have never seen a Mac crash on powerup that way, not since I worked there. (Funny how they had a lot of used equipment...) Do Macs still have a "failure" chime that plays if the Mac can't even display anything on the screen? Pre-gray-Apple?

(why has no one answered this already?) Current Macs beep when something's wrong. I heard it last working on an almost-new PB. Tried to start it up, and got two beeps. I reseated the RAM, and it was fine.

Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
Possible stupid question, but how do you change your start-up chime?

TIA

I think it's burned in. You can't change it. It is possible to turn it off, though, if you want look around for a utility.

Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
Why do I have the feeling we're going to be buying downloadable boot tones from iTunes for $2.50?

This idea makes me cringe... Please, Apple: No!
post #31 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by PathDæmon
This idea makes me cringe... Please, Apple: No!

Of course they wont. Unlike Windows the mac start-up sound actually has a use - as you stated earlier.
post #32 of 103
i smell an easter egg forthcoming (i.e. hold down option-shift-m-s to hear ballmer screaming "developers! developers! developers!")

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #33 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
Of course they wont. Unlike Windows the mac start-up sound actually has a use - as you stated earlier.

How would this prevent them from allowing people to change it? Anything but beeping and an absence of startup would indicate success.

On the recording of our familiar sound, Reekes said this:
Quote:
Turning the Mac on is one thing, but being forced to reboot from a crash is a totally different experience. I wanted to avoid a sound that would be associated with the crash. I wanted it to sound more like a "palette cleanser"

If the "old Apple" wins, we're never losing that intention in any updates to the sound. But if the new, iPod socks-creating Apple steps up, purchasing sounds wouldn't be out of the question.
post #34 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
i smell an easter egg forthcoming (i.e. hold down option-shift-m-s to hear ballmer screaming "developers! developers! developers!")


It would be fun, but Steve Jobs hates easter eggs. The only one that's made it through in OS X is Mail Senders (Mail.app > Contents > Resources > senders.tiff if you haven't seen it). More would be unlikely.
post #35 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by PathDæmon
How would this prevent them from allowing people to change it? Anything but beeping and an absence of startup would indicate success.

On the recording of our familiar sound, Reekes said this:

If the "old Apple" wins, we're never losing that intention in any updates to the sound. But if the new, iPod socks-creating Apple steps up, purchasing sounds wouldn't be out of the question.

Perhaps your right, the consumers would probably love it. I will, however, always have my trusty harmonious beep, playing homage to the classic macs.
post #36 of 103
I like the sound (pardon the pun) of this!

I've spent countless hours geeking my way through Mactracker. I love computer history in general, and Apple's history is more interesting than most, being one of the few remaining companies which have consistenly produced entire (both software and hardware) consumer systems for twenty-five+ years.

The startup chime seems to have changed with every 'major' evolution in the hardware. So a new one for the Intel-based Mac seems appropriate.

Let's see if it turns up in a future episode of Futurama! (That show's got dozens of Mac references: the Quadra startup chime's in the 'planet of the robots' episode; there's 'Blank Robots: Mac Formatted' in the Nappster episode; and Bender's line: 'I finally meet a nice girl with a pair of legs that don't quit unexpectedly')

Hehe
Cheers,

Chris
Reply
Cheers,

Chris
Reply
post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by damiansipko
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
Why do I have the feeling we're going to be buying downloadable boot tones from iTunes for $2.50?

I don't really care -- I boot my Macs less often than I have sex!

Aww. So you're saying you don't get much action?

What's even more pathetic is that I'm married!!!!
post #38 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by displaced
I like the sound (pardon the pun) of this!

I've spent countless hours geeking my way through Mactracker. I love computer history in general, and Apple's history is more interesting than most, being one of the few remaining companies which have consistenly produced entire (both software and hardware) consumer systems for twenty-five+ years.

The startup chime seems to have changed with every 'major' evolution in the hardware. So a new one for the Intel-based Mac seems appropriate.

Let's see if it turns up in a future episode of Futurama! (That show's got dozens of Mac references: the Quadra startup chime's in the 'planet of the robots' episode; there's 'Blank Robots: Mac Formatted' in the Nappster episode; and Bender's line: 'I finally meet a nice girl with a pair of legs that don't quit unexpectedly')

Hehe

yeah but the iterations have always been minor. we'll soon see what the Intel macs behold! I love Futurama!
post #39 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
What's even more pathetic is that I'm married!!!!

Sucks to be you
post #40 of 103
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
Possible stupid question, but how do you change your start-up chime?

TIA

You don't. It's in ROM, so you can't change it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: Intel Macs may sing a different tune, Mac OS X 10.4.4