or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › XBOX 360 question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XBOX 360 question

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Does anybody know if the XBOX 360 is backward compatible with XBOX games?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
Does anybody know if the XBOX 360 is backward compatible with XBOX games?

Its not.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Its not.

It is, to some extent.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/back...tibilityqa.htm

It's far from perfect and most of the games you'd really want to play don't work. The marketing dept. probably had something to do with that.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Its not.

Oh really?

audiopollution:

Who wants to play that Halo and Halo 2 crap? amirite!
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
Most of the games you'd really want to play don't work.

What games were you hoping for, exactly? These look pretty good to me:

* Baldur's Gate™: Dark Alliance™ II
* Call of Cthulhu®: Dark Corners of the Earth™
* Dead or Alive® 3
* Fable®
* Fable®: The Lost Chapters™
* Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy
* Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
* Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas™
* Half-Life® 2
* Halo®
* Halo® 2
* Halo® 2 Multiplayer Map Pack
* Jade Empire™3
* Ninja Gaiden®
* Ninja Gaiden® Black
* Outlaw Golf 2
* Outlaw Volleyball
* SSX 3
* Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™
* Star Wars® Knights of the Old Republic® II: The Sith Lords™
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #6 of 23
I don't see... uh... Madden 2003.

So there.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
I don't see... uh... Madden 2003.

So there.

What year are you living in?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
What year are you living in?

Well, there aren't any Madden games, but sports games suck anyway 8)
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
Oh really?

audiopollution:

Who wants to play that Halo and Halo 2 crap? amirite!

I guessed... It was 50-50...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #10 of 23
Just talked to my local gamestop manager -

1 out of 3 Xbox360 units still has "serious problems". There are a variety of problems (hard drive, overheating, freezing up, etc), and they usually show up in the first three months (but after the Microsoft 30 day warrenty has expired).

I think I will wait for them to get their act together.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #11 of 23
No, MVP Baseball 2005... And considering there won't be a 2006 version since ESPN bought the rights to all MLB Games... That is going to suck hardcore for EA fans who got rid of their XBOXs or replaced with it with a 360.

Microsoft is fuckin' retarded.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnySmith
No, MVP Baseball 2005... And considering there won't be a 2006 version since ESPN bought the rights to all MLB Games... That is going to suck hardcore for EA fans who got rid of their XBOXs or replaced with it with a 360.

Microsoft is fuckin' retarded.

It's EA's fault. The bastards had to ink an exclusive deal with the NFL didn't they? ESPN NFL 2005 was by far the best football game in years, but now, nope can't develop licensed material. The baseball issue was 2KGames way of getting something back. I hate EA.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Reply
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Reply
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by DanMacMan
It's EA's fault. The bastards had to ink an exclusive deal with the NFL didn't they? ESPN NFL 2005 was by far the best football game in years, but now, nope can't develop licensed material. The baseball issue was 2KGames way of getting something back. I hate EA.

As much as I love baseball, the market for baseball games is miniscule compared to that of football.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Just talked to my local gamestop manager -

1 out of 3 Xbox360 units still has "serious problems". There are a variety of problems (hard drive, overheating, freezing up, etc), and they usually show up in the first three months (but after the Microsoft 30 day warrenty has expired).

I think I will wait for them to get their act together.

First, it's a 90 day warranty in the US, and usually a 1 year warranty in Europe & UK (because their consumer protection laws are cool like that). Also I've had my 360 for just over 90 days now and no problems yet (knocks on wood). You can also spend $60 for a 2 year extended warranty if you so choose.

I think if it was a 33% failure rate the complaint level would be much higher over at the official 360 forums.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by BR
As much as I love baseball, the market for baseball games is miniscule compared to that of football.

Oh, I agree totally. But you gotta do what you can, where you can.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Reply
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Reply
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Just talked to my local gamestop manager -

1 out of 3 Xbox360 units still has "serious problems". There are a variety of problems (hard drive, overheating, freezing up, etc), and they usually show up in the first three months (but after the Microsoft 30 day warrenty has expired).

I think I will wait for them to get their act together.

Went out and bought one anyway - pretty nice unit! As nice as apple hardware, provided it stays alive.

I bought 5 games from the backwards compatibility list also (no new titles interest me), but now I have to go get the wireless adapter in order to play them due to the need to download the backwards compatibility driver for each game.

I particularly like the HDTV capibility - I think that my PS2 and Gamecube will get very little use in the next few months.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Went out and bought one anyway - pretty nice unit! As nice as apple hardware, provided it stays alive.

I bought 5 games from the backwards compatibility list also (no new titles interest me), but now I have to go get the wireless adapter in order to play them due to the need to download the backwards compatibility driver for each game.

I particularly like the HDTV capibility - I think that my PS2 and Gamecube will get very little use in the next few months.

Why can't you just plug in the ethernet cable for the time it takes to download the patches? Won't take long at all.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
Why can't you just plug in the ethernet cable for the time it takes to download the patches? Won't take long at all.

Moving my TV to anywhere near an ethernet connection would be too much effort.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the xbox. I wish that they had an option of playing xbox360 in widescreen mode, and normal xbox games in 4x3, because my TV is better at handling 4x3->widescreen than the xbox is.

Elder scrolls is worth it - my daughter and I have spent a couple hours already just modifying the faces of our characters - you have about a hundred things that you can change to get really unique characters.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #19 of 23
Yea, Oblivion is an awesome game. Wish my wife didn't watch Survivor so I could play Oblivion some more tonight. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
post #20 of 23
Back to the question that started this thread - not all of the games on the backwards compatibility list work perfectly.

Baldurs gate II slows down to a crawl when you get a bunch of enemies on screen at once. The porting team must not have played it more than the first level, because it hits really bad when you enter the den of the red fang bandits 8)
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #21 of 23
Yea, there've been a few games listed as backwards compatible that didn't work well. Popular games where the people have bitched about it on the xbox forums have seen BC updates to get them working right.
post #22 of 23
I was listening to "Major Nelson's" podcast one time, and a guy who's on the porting team talked about this stuff. He said that the team worked on the most requested games first and that some games just came along with those. The example he used was Barbie's Horse Adventure (or whatever). They never intended to work on that one, but it just worked out that way. It sounds like some of the games that have problems are the ones that were never actively ported to begin with.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #23 of 23
Has anyone seen that XBOX commercial with the XBOX Fun Box or some crap???? Truly Disturbing. I don't know who wants to go out and buy something after the commercial they saw for it left them feeling creepy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › XBOX 360 question