or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007) - Page 111

post #4401 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

IMO, it doesn't matter if you are for or against the War in Iraq we care currently engulfed in, but I don't think anyone ought to compare or make analogies of the format war to a real war where men and women in the armed services are sacrificing their lives. IMO, it is just plain wrong and more than a bit messed up. What kinda douche does this?

Bitemymac, if you are attempting to defend what Mr. Enderle is stating here, I can see why facts and logic are lost on you, that's all I have to say. If this isn't your intention, at the very least provide some quantifiable proof as to why you think Bill Hunt says anything in the realm of how poor in taste this article is.

You're funny. Your opinions definately reflect why you're so Gong-Ho towards blu-ray, perhaps the reason is because you follow Bill Hunt.

I was actually discrediting both, but I think Bill Hunt is even worse than Mr. Enderle. Mr. Enderle is presenting his personal opinions based on what had happened, but Bill Hunt mostly puts a spin on how things will happen in the future in favor of Blu-Ray. Bill Hunt is the leader of Blu-Ray fanboys, and your leader.

Edited: photo confirmation

BTW, are we talking about same Bill Hunt?




always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #4402 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

While at some point studios may have a SD-DVD phase out strategy, if there's overwhelming consumer rejection of HDM they may not be able to implement it. Given the lackluster support of HD studios for December and BD ones after 4 December, one has to wonder how totally committed studios are to HDM. The Christmas buying season is when many people make impulse purchases and the lack of quality December titles beyond Harry Potter and Blade Runner makes one wonder as to what's going on with the studios. It doesn't seem like they're putting much resources behind HDM.

I'm not sure how much you follow movie(SD-DVD) releases, it's not just HDM's, the SD-DVD releases are dried up, too.

I know Blu-Ray side had put a lot of efforts last year during the PS3 launch, but I don't believe that is the commond practice for many studios.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #4403 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

You're funny. Your opinions definately reflect why you're so Gong-Ho towards blu-ray, perhaps the reason is because you follow Bill Hunt.

I was actually discrediting both, but I think Bill Hunt is even worse than Mr. Enderle. Mr. Enderle is presenting his personal opinions based on what had happened, but Bill Hunt mostly puts a spin on how things will happen in the future in favor of Blu-Ray. Bill Hunt is the leader of Blu-Ray fanboys, and your leader.

Edited: photo confirmation

BTW, are we talking about same Bill Hunt?

Confirmation of what?
post #4404 of 4651
Thread Starter 
Confirmation of bitemymac's unparalleled hatred of Blu-ray.
post #4405 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Confirmation of bitemymac's unparalleled hatred of Blu-ray.

Sounds about right.
post #4406 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Confirmation of bitemymac's unparalleled hatred of Blu-ray.

haha... such a predictable blu-ray fanboy response.


I personally don't have any problem with blu-ray. I just don't like what is being said by blu-ray fanboys on the thread or other forums.

I don't mind the fans, but I do have unparalleled hatred of fanboys for their pest-like quality.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #4407 of 4651
ahh when in doubt, and when unable to form a resoned argument, just call people FANBOYS.. now THATS childish
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #4408 of 4651
Milestone reached over Black Friday shopping weekend

By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 12/3/2007

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6509196.html

Quote:
DEC. 3 | The Blu-ray Disc Assn. is touting a new milestone passed over the Black Friday shopping period, noting that player sales since launch reached 2.7 million units through Nov. 24.

Like the HD DVD camps recent claims, the figure encompasses both Blu-ray-capable gaming devices and Blu-ray set-top players.

Through October, there had been 2 million units sold of the Blu-ray-enhanced PlayStation 3. That arguably gives Blu-ray set-tops a 700,000 piece of overall format unit sales. But the picture is muddied somewhat by the likely gangbuster PlayStation 3 sales in November due to the introduction of the relatively cheap $399 PlayStation 3. November console sales will not be available from the NPD Group until mid-December.

Its tough to calculate specific gains for Blu-ray set-tops, as many of the manufacturers have not released sales information on their players to this point.

Still, the 2.7 million sold is a clear achievement over the HD DVD side, which pushed its installment base to 750,000 units following widespread holiday retail sales, notably including $99-priced players at Wal-Mart and Best Buy. Although not as steeply priced-slashed as rival HD DVD, many Blu-ray players also were sale-priced at retail. Several chains were offering Samsung and Sony Blu-ray players at $399, $100 below their $499 list prices.

The BDA last week also trumpeted its continuing lead in Blu-ray software sales, which in the weeks leading up to Black Friday had been outpacing HD DVD titles by a two-to-one ratio. During the Black Friday period, BD titles made up 72.6% of all high-def purchases, with HD DVD totaling 27.4%, according to Nielsen/VideoScan figures cited by BDA.

The fact that BD software remains the sales leader in an environment of heavy HD DVD player discounting is especially heartening to the BDA.

A statement from the group noted, Despite the $99 HD DVD fire sale, Blu-ray movies were flying off the shelves in this crucial holiday shopping period.

According to the BD camp, total BD disc sales in the U.S. since launch topped 4 million units in November, about the same time HD DVD software sales passed just 2.5 million units.

To date in the U.S., 18 of the Top 20 high-def releases are Blu-ray, according to the BD camp.

According to Media Control Gfk International figures cited by BDA, BD movies control 73% of the European market, outselling HD DVD by a three-to-one margin, and BD holds a 95% share of the high-def recorder market in Japan.
post #4409 of 4651
So I was thinking...in 3-4 years when the next-generation xBox goes on sale, what media do you suppose it's games will come on? The format that it's number one competitor has poured millions of dollars into and banked it's entire gaming console on? Or something else? We won't yet be at a point where downloading massive games will be feasible, so the current generation of consoles certainly won't be the last to use physical games of some sort. I imagine both formats will live on in the console systems for many years to come still, regardless of what happens with films.


Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Milestone reached over Black Friday shopping weekend

By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 12/3/2007

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6509196.html

Why is there no mention of the fact that PS3 sales do not automatically equal Blu-Ray users?

As retarded as claiming the iPod is the number one gaming system in the world, just because it has games on it.
post #4410 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Sounds about right.

Hey Marz, nice to see you back. You were a bit quiet when the Walmart news broke.

You spent a lot of time back in April or so posting about how Walmart wasn't carrying cheap HD-DVD players and that the rumours of inexpensive Chinese-made players hitting North American shores this year were just FUD.

Now that you've been proved totally wrong on both counts, how do you think this will affect the war in early 2008?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4411 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Hey Marz, nice to see you back. You were a bit quiet when the Walmart news broke.

I haven't gone anywhere?...What's up with the welcoming back? I've been posting quite regulary, so I don't know what you're attempting to allude to here.

Quote:
You spent a lot of time back in April or so posting about how Walmart wasn't carrying cheap HD-DVD players and that the rumours of inexpensive Chinese-made players hitting North American shores this year were just FUD.

Care to be specific? You claim things here but I think before you accuse me in generalities, it would be prudent on your part to show me what you are talking about, so that I may give you a proper retort. Otherwise, your simply stereotyping me.

Quote:
Now that you've been proved totally wrong on both counts, how do you think this will affect the war in early 2008?

Show me where I've been proven totally wrong please. I'm interested, honestly. Furthermore, it might serve you well to take into account the concept of time when I may have posted an article or given an opinion. Furthermore, I don't recall posting an article on Wal-mart planning not to carry the Venturer player, and IF I did, it was due to the fact that every Internet high-def news site was releasing an article saying such based off a direct statement from Wal-mart themselves. But, I implore you to show me.

Effect in 2008? About the same effect price has had in 2007 for HD DVD--losing 52:0.
post #4412 of 4651
Probably this has been mentioned before and I missed it, but here it is. It is in french (hopefully soon in english too over at hardmac.com), and it says that Leopard has already extensive built-in support for BD as backup media. It recognizes correctly blue ray disks, and it can read, write and erase data on such a disk. It cannot however play BD movies because of the lack of HDCP support and issues with the DVD Player on Apple systems. There is no mention though about how Leopard reacts when inserting a HD-DVD.
post #4413 of 4651
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Furthermore, I don't recall posting an article on Wal-mart planning not to carry the Venturer player, and IF I did, it was due to the fact that every Internet high-def news site was releasing an article saying such based off a direct statement from Wal-mart themselves. But, I implore you to show me.

I believe what you actually wrote was that there would be no cheap Chinese HD DVD players at Walmart. Which, of course, there aren't, at Walmart or anywhere else. As for the Venturer, it's been pointed out that this is only at Walmart in Canada. Some have claimed that it takes a big company to satisfy Walmart's supplier requirements, which shows how big Venturer is. Except they're not supplying U.S. stores. Walmart Canada is a much smaller organization with much lower sales, serving a population only about 1/10th the size of the American population. That Venturer players or for that matter anything Venturer aren't available here tells me that they can't fulfill the American supplier requirements and that this is likely just favoritism shown to a fellow Canadian company. Walmart is known to do that around the world to make it look less like a monolithic global behemoth and more like a local organization. Neither is the Venturer a "cheap" player, given that it's about the same price as the low-end Toshiba.
post #4414 of 4651
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12...ns_go_blu_ray/


Quote:
Major Australian rental chains Video Ezy and Blockbuster - both of which are owned by the same company, Franchise Entertainment Group - have gone all-out for Blu-ray Disc, they said today. Neither chain - comprising 870 stores in total - will now offer HD DVD rentals.

According to FEG Managing Director Paul Uniacke, quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald, that the decision had been made because of what he claimed was the HD DVD camp's slow roll out of the next-gen optical disc format Down Under.


HD DVD, he said, was "missing the boat".

The Herald cited stats from market watcher GfK showing that some 2241 Blu-ray Disc players have been bought by Australians to date. But Aussies have bought only 609 HD DVD machines. The BD figure does not include PlayStation 3 purchases, of which 100,000 have been bought since the console when on sale at the end of March. Some 2461 HD DVD Xbox 360 add-ons have been bought too.

GfK's numbers show sales of 102,000 Blu-ray Discs in Australia but only 18,000 HD DVDs, though that figure doesn't include region-free discs purchased from US and European sellers.
post #4415 of 4651
Yet another legitimate bogo for Blu-Ray. What's that make, four Bogo's this season for Blu-Ray? HD DVD has yet to have a legitimate BOGO on a week when Blu-Ray didn't have one, and yet again all that's offered is 40% instead of the standard 33% off select HD DVD titles - just a dollar or two less than any other day. Toshiba really needs to step up if they are to hold their ground, as Sony and the Blu-Ray camp are obviously more than happy to buy their marketshare at whatever cost. At least they're still trying to sell players.

Update: Toys R Us is currently selling the xBox 360 HD DVD add-on for $129. With standalone players going for $199 in places, the regular price for the add-on ought to be $99 instead of the $179 it usually sells for.
post #4416 of 4651
Quote:

Good find Fishy.
post #4417 of 4651
post #4418 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

What Bay Really Thinks...

Wow marzetta7, really scraping the bottom of the barrel now aren't ya? As if it wasn't bad enough that you post the same story over the course of a week from three different sources reporting the exact same sales figures, but now you're digging up stuff from August? Just because Bay bought in to the Blu-Ray fanboy sob story, that doesn't make it true.
post #4419 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Wow marzetta7, really scraping the bottom of the barrel now aren't ya? As if it wasn't bad enough that you post the same story over the course of a week from three different sources reporting the exact same sales figures, but now you're digging up stuff from August? Just because Bay bought in to the Blu-Ray fanboy sob story, that doesn't make it true.

post #4420 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I believe what you actually wrote was that there would be no cheap Chinese HD DVD players at Walmart. Which, of course, there aren't, at Walmart or anywhere else. As for the Venturer, it's been pointed out that this is only at Walmart in Canada. Some have claimed that it takes a big company to satisfy Walmart's supplier requirements, which shows how big Venturer is. Except they're not supplying U.S. stores. Walmart Canada is a much smaller organization with much lower sales, serving a population only about 1/10th the size of the American population. That Venturer players or for that matter anything Venturer aren't available here tells me that they can't fulfill the American supplier requirements and that this is likely just favoritism shown to a fellow Canadian company.

Is Blu-Ray really doing so badly that you have to resort to outright lies? I have already posted that it's been confirmed that the Venturer is being carried at both Walmart and Target stores across the U.S.

This information is easily available from Google.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4421 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is Blu-Ray really doing so badly that you have to resort to outright lies? I have already posted that it's been confirmed that the Venturer is being carried at both Walmart and Target stores across the U.S.

This information is easily available from Google.

I love the way you start your post saying "Is Blu-Ray really doing so badly" - As if...

Anyway, Target went Blu-Ray exclusive. I don't know when they were supposedly caring this Venturer, but unless it's an xbox 360 add on HD drive, they aren't carrying it any longer. I know that for a fact. Who ever is saying other wise is the lying source.


Anyway, what I came to post was that I bought my first two Blu_ray movie titles today. Pirates 2, and 3. Man was there a lot of people at Best Buy buying those movies. There are a lot more Blu-Ray owners out there than I had imagined. I thought I may see like one or two other people buying for HD. Boy was I wrong. Most of my line had Blu-Ray titles. Super-Bad was really popular. I never even saw the movie, but it was a pretty hot item.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #4422 of 4651
That's strange. Since I can go to Target.com, search on "Venturer" and see the message:

"Item arriving in 2 to 6 weeks, order now..."
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4423 of 4651
Brick and mortar stores are BR exclusive. Target.com is affiliated with Amazon. If they can make a buck because someone links to Amazon through them and buys one they'll take it, but you'll never see one in a real store. That is a fact. It's not that strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbes.com

— Target Corp., the nation's second-largest retailer, will start selling a Sony Blu-ray high-definition DVD player during the critical holiday shopping period and feature the player along with Blu-ray discs in store displays, dealing a potential blow to the rival HD DVD format.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #4424 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Brick and mortar stores are BR exclusive. Target.com is affiliated with Amazon. If they can make a buck because someone links to Amazon through them and buys one they'll take it, but you'll never see one in a real store. That is a fact. It's not that strange.

Ok, that makes sense.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4425 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Yet another legitimate bogo for Blu-Ray. What's that make, four Bogo's this season for Blu-Ray? HD DVD has yet to have a legitimate BOGO on a week when Blu-Ray didn't have one, and yet again all that's offered is 40% instead of the standard 33% off select HD DVD titles - just a dollar or two less than any other day. Toshiba really needs to step up if they are to hold their ground, as Sony and the Blu-Ray camp are obviously more than happy to buy their marketshare at whatever cost. At least they're still trying to sell players.

Update: Toys R Us is currently selling the xBox 360 HD DVD add-on for $129. With standalone players going for $199 in places, the regular price for the add-on ought to be $99 instead of the $179 it usually sells for.

I think Blu-Ray B1G1 deal will continue through out the year. This is only effective strategy Blu-Ray has since the hardware prices are pretty much locked in the $350+ range.

Also, as expected, Toshiba will also have it's own promtions/bundles with lower hardware prices in the range of $150 with free software bundles like the current Amazon deals with 10 free HDM with $199 HD-DVD player. On the week of the black friday, Amazon did offer HD-A3 as low as $157 with 3 instant HDM picks + 2 free HDM's in the box + 5 free HDM MIR.

Perhaps the offers may get even more competitive soon. All in all, it's really a great holdiays for HDM fans.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #4426 of 4651
Cheaper HD-DVD players and more interactive features. Not sure if anyone chats during a movie, but you can do that with HD-DVD if you want to. I guess this would be a fun feature for kids with lightening fast texting fingers.

HD DVDs New Feature: Watching Movies Together But Not In the Same Place

http://www.techconsumer.com/2007/12/...he-same-place/

Quote:
Perhaps in an attempt to differentiate itself from Blu-ray, HD DVD tech wizards will launch the HD DVD version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with a new feature called community screening. The movie takes advantage of the fact that all HD DVD players are equipped with an Ethernet hookup (unlike Blu-ray, which has players that do not include network connectivity). Community screening is a way to watch a movie simultaneously with your friends while youre each in the comfort of your own homes. Heres how it works:


One of you sends out an invitation to join a viewing of the movie, which then syncs your movie watching experience with your friends that accept the invitation. While watching, you and your friends can exchange chats through the remote, a computer, or cellphone. The catch of this social movie experience is that only the host will be able to play, pause, or otherwise control the movie.

Heres a quote directly from the release site:

Gather your own army of fellow wizards for a live community screening party. Invite other owners of the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix HD DVD to simultaneously watch from their own internet-accessed players and text with your remote, PC or cellphone. When you host an invitation-only viewing, you control the film by pausing and playing the feature on everyones machine. You can chat live with your friends as you watch.

So is it a gimmick or a feature? Its hard to say at this point. But the battle between HD DVD is a heated one for sure, and it has only escalated for the holiday season. The HD DVD Promotional Group announced last week that sales of HD DVD players increased significantly because of last weeks Black Friday sales (of which I participated because of Amazons amazing deal, which made HD DVD at least half the price of Blu-ray). Sales over that particular weekend were apparently enough for total HD DVD players sold to come close to 1 million (they were hovering around 750,000 previously).

But the battle is far from over. The Blu-ray Disc Association had good news of its own claiming that Blu-ray is outselling HD DVD discs in Europe at a ratio of over three to one. But in the U.S., Sonys Playstation 3 is the main reason Blu-ray has seen any success. According to Adams Media Research, 94 percent of Blu-ray players purchased in the U.S. are simply a byproduct of gamers buying the Playstation 3 (which just had a recent price cut).

The dust may need to settle after the holidays before we know which next generation DVD has taken the lead

*Update* It looks like Amazons deal is back (for now, at least): Toshiba HD DVD player with 10 HD DVDs for somewhere between $170 and $250 (interestingly, the pricing seems to change based on which computer/browser I am using).
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #4427 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Cheaper HD-DVD players and more interactive features. Not sure if anyone chats during a movie, but you can do that with HD-DVD if you want to. I guess this would be a fun feature for kids with lightening fast texting fingers.

HD DVDs New Feature: Watching Movies Together But Not In the Same Place

http://www.techconsumer.com/2007/12/...he-same-place/

This has FaceBook written all over it....Is that a good or bad thing?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4428 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This has FaceBook written all over it....Is that a good or bad thing?

Haha... I guess that really depends... LOL

Just like HDM option. It's only good for those who is able to have and enjoy them.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #4429 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Wow marzetta7, really scraping the bottom of the barrel now aren't ya? As if it wasn't bad enough that you post the same story over the course of a week from three different sources reporting the exact same sales figures, but now you're digging up stuff from August? Just because Bay bought in to the Blu-Ray fanboy sob story, that doesn't make it true.

Wow Cory Bauer,...looks like someone needs to scrape the bottom of the barrel of hooked on phonics...it worked for Frank777!

Did you even click on the link there Cory Bauer? Or were you just itching to try and refute this link, that you posted prematurely and ended up making an a-- off yourself?

Go click on it, you'll find that the comment I posted was a link to a Blu-ray.com thread that was created by the web admin of Michaelbay.com, discussing Michael Bay's comment from today, that is December, 4th 2007. Not August. Here is the link directly for the clicking challenged...

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...read.php?t=595

Quote:
What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

Bay

Now, I realize this if far from "truth" but I was simply sharing it with you all (moreover, I never once claimed it as fact, simply sharing Bay's opinion)...then you proceeded with a premature attempt at discrediting me with the post. When ya goin' da learn bohy? So anyways, take it all in now, and try not to hurt yourself.
post #4430 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

],...looks like someone needs to scrape the bottom of the barrel of hooked on phonics...it worked for Frank777!

Blu-Rayers have a 'unique' sense of humour. I guess there aren't a lot of good comedies on the format.


I still don't get the Microsoftian FUD that Blu-Ray proponents keep throwing around.

I personally dislike Redmond's products, but I understand their opposition to BR is rooted in the fact that Sony's PS3 is the standard bearer for the Blu-Ray format. And Redmond hates the PS3 with a passion.

This has little or nothing to do with the next-gen war over digital downloads.
The standard bearer for that war is Apple.

Apple TV 2.0 is expected in early 2008 and that device that will fight with HD-DVD and the PS3 for space under the household TV with regards to next-gen movie rentals.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4431 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Blu-Rayers have a 'unique' sense of humour. I guess there aren't a lot of good comedies on the format.


I still don't get the Microsoftian FUD that Blu-Ray proponents keep throwing around.

I personally dislike Redmond's products, but I understand their opposition to BR is rooted in the fact that Sony's PS3 is the standard bearer for the Blu-Ray format. And Redmond hates the PS3 with a passion.

This has little or nothing to do with the next-gen war over digital downloads.
The standard bearer for that war is Apple.

Apple TV 2.0 is expected in early 2008 and that device that will fight with HD-DVD and the PS3 for space under the household TV with regards to next-gen movie rentals.

I missed that press release. Apple has how many movie studio's on board?
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #4432 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I missed that press release. Apple has how many movie studio's on board?

I think your can safely exclude Sony from the studio wish list.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #4433 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I missed that press release. Apple has how many movie studio's on board?

This is AppleInsider's Future Hardware forum. If you're looking for press releases, you're on the wrong board.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4434 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Wow Cory Bauer,...looks like someone needs to scrape the bottom of the barrel of hooked on phonics...it worked for Frank777!

Did you even click on the link there Cory Bauer? Or were you just itching to try and refute this link, that you posted prematurely and ended up making an a-- off yourself?

Go click on it, you'll find that the comment I posted was a link to a Blu-ray.com thread that was created by the web admin of Michaelbay.com, discussing Michael Bay's comment from today, that is December, 4th 2007. Not August. Here is the link directly for the clicking challenged...

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...read.php?t=595

My apologies; I was looking at webmaster's join date and thought it was the post date. I read the quote from Bay in the post below his. At any rate, this past summer Bay spoke about being at a dinner party and sitting with a couple of Blu-Ray fanboys; that's where he got everything he thinks he knows about these formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Now, I realize this if far from "truth" but I was simply sharing it with you all (moreover, I never once claimed it as fact, simply sharing Bay's opinion)...then you proceeded with a premature attempt at discrediting me with the post. When ya goin' da learn bohy? So anyways, take it all in now, and try not to hurt yourself.

If you don't agree with it, then why post it? That goes for all of the articles, press releases, and statistics you link to. Guess it doesn't matter to you if the information is factual or not so long as the link gets passed around and lots of people read it
post #4435 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

My apologies; I was looking at webmaster's join date and thought it was the post date. I read the quote from Bay in the post below his. At any rate, this past summer Bay spoke about being at a dinner party and sitting with a couple of Blu-Ray fanboys; that's where he got everything he thinks he knows about these formats.


If you don't agree with it, then why post it? That goes for all of the articles, press releases, and statistics you link to. Guess it doesn't matter to you if the information is factual or not so long as the link gets passed around and lots of people read it

No worries man. I shared it basically to spur on discussion. I like debate. I've even been known to post HD DVD news as well. So sometimes I agree wholeheartedly with the material I post, and sometimes I don't. Obviously, I didn't say either way on this one, and in all honesty, I think Mr. Bay on the surface appears conflicted, but knows like many that Blu-ray is the better format as well as tech. I say this because when he made his initial comments about the Paramount move (about how he thought it was short sighted and not smart), he shortly rescinded thereafter. And now we have this statement from him. All in all, I hope he and other directors can put the pressure back on Paramount to do what is right for the consumer...and that is go with the format that the consumers are choosing in mass (relatively speaking) with Blu-ray.
post #4436 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

I've even been known to post HD DVD news as well.

Ok, that requires a call out.
Show me ONE link you've posted in this thread that references HD-DVD in a positive light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

...that Blu-ray is the better format

The only thing that really distinguishes Blu-Ray from HD-DVD as a format is the draconian DRM it implements. And that is only better for studios, not the average consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

as well as tech.

Technically, it has the potential for much larger storage (100GB?) But that's not much of a benefit given that movies are generally settled into the 2-3 hour time frame. Collectors also seem to like multiple disc sets, which further help to drive down the cost of blank discs for consumers.

Sony's Beta was also the better technical format and lost that war.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4437 of 4651
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is Blu-Ray really doing so badly that you have to resort to outright lies? I have already posted that it's been confirmed that the Venturer is being carried at both Walmart and Target stores across the U.S.

This information is easily available from Google.

Fine, I was wrong. Unlike some people on this board *cough*bite*cough*, I can admit that when I am. But be careful when slinging around accusations of lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The only thing that really distinguishes Blu-Ray from HD-DVD as a format is the draconian DRM it implements. And that is only better for studios, not the average consumer.

Oh, please. Both formats plan to support mandatory managed copy. I haven't heard of a single person who has been inconvenienced by Blu-ray's "draconian DRM," except maybe some pirates. You're arguing for a solution in search of a problem.
post #4438 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Fine, I was wrong. Unlike some people on this board *cough*bite*cough*, I can admit that when I am. But be careful when slinging around accusations of lies.

Point taken. I should have worded that differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Oh, please. Both formats plan to support mandatory managed copy. I haven't heard of a single person who has been inconvenienced by Blu-ray's "draconian DRM," except maybe some pirates. You're arguing for a solution in search of a problem.

Doesn't BR have an additional level of encryption (over MMC) that locks the content stream?

No one's going to be inconvenienced now. But in 5 years, when terabyte-level drives are standard and you want to rip your 1200-disc HDM collection to your Apple Home Server, will you be able to download the latest version of HandBrake and go for it?

I'll bet Sony will not-so-politely tell you to re-buy all those movies again.

HD-DVD is not perfect in this scenario either, but I think they are the lesser of the two evils.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4439 of 4651
In other news, if consumers resist products with excessive DRM, even the biggest companies will back down.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #4440 of 4651
Well, after seeing $98 HD-DVD deal, $129.99 SHIPPED for xbox360 HD-DVD AO may not seem as much of a bargain, but it's getting cheaper.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)