or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Nordkapp conqueors Scotland

Nordkapp conqueors Scotland

post #1 of 6
As part of my round Europe trip planned for next year, I decided to have a real blast over Easter in Scotland, except i couldn't get any time off work, so I had to do it in 3 days. I left at 11pm on Friday Night, and got to my destination at 7pm Saturday Night - which was 20 hours of continuous driving, - except stopping to take lots of photos, and the occasional sandwich.

The destination was the tip of the top NorthWest of Scotland, through the mountainous, and rather deserted Scottish highlands - I made it to a place called Durness, which is about as far North as you can go by road. It was 800 miles from where I live!

I got back last night, and had to go to work today, so I've just been looking through the photos I took, and I appear to have 540 of them! - Anyway, I made a diversion to the Isle of Skye, and drove on some of the most beautiful roads I have ever been in. The NW highlands of Scotland have the most insane scenery, and crazy roads!

I was so tired when I got there I slept right there in my car, completely in the middle of nowhere with only the deer in the forest rustling the undergrowth. The next day, I started my way back, through Galloway Forest Park and made it to the Lake District, where I slept the perfectly clear crisp night on top of a mountain in my bivi. Sadly, this trip was only half as long as I would have liked so it was a bit of a rush, but I made it, 1675 miles in 3 days.

Here's a quick snap I was just messing with to shrink down and try to pop the colours out a bit. Its somewhere on the road to Skye - as seen by holding the camera to the front window and shooting at 60mph...you can just see the drops of rain on the windscreen!

I must sleep - cant wait to go to Norway next year, where the mountains are atleast twice as big, and i'll have as much time as I like.
post #2 of 6

Speeding North
post #3 of 6

The last 100 miles of main road!
post #4 of 6
Great pics!

At first glance, I thought you were heading into oncoming traffic in that first photo. Then I remembered you drive on the left up there.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #5 of 6
In 2007 I drove from Miami to San Francisco, straight. 36 hrs, IIRC. Roughly 3000 miles.

The pictures I took sucked mightily. I-95 to I-10 to I-5. East of San Antonio, I-10 is a study in green. West, it's a study in tan. The only fun parts were racing folks through the hills in California, during which it was night time, thus being a study in black.

Here are two of the better photos:

Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #6 of 6
I have just uploaded over 200 photo's of this trip here, these are from Scotland only, as I split the Lake District and Yorkshire dales off, because its just too many to process in one evening.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nordkapp...tlandRoadTrip#

Even though I did it, I cant quite believe it turned out this good. Afterall, most of these photos were taken in a rush without even looking at the screen on the camera as I was driving!. I've tweaked them in photoshop quickly.

This is what you can do with a cheap camera, its a samsung d860 I got for £60, and a free copy of photoshop 5LE I got with my printer about 10 years ago!

I've amazed myself!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Nordkapp conqueors Scotland