or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Flu pandemic

Flu pandemic - Page 2

post #41 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Sure we can blame the media but at the same time the UN, WHO, DCD and Obama admin' stirred the pot. What better way to prove the need for your existence than to drum up some hysteria and fear?

Yeah, let's duct tape ourselves into our homes.\
post #42 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Yeah, let's duct tape ourselves into our homes.\

I was on the bus Thursday and some people were wearing masks.
post #43 of 112
WHO says world moving closer to Phase 6 flu

Quote:
According to the WHO's latest figures, the new influenza strain, also known as swine flu, has been found in 64 countries, and remains most prevalent in North America. WHO laboratories have confirmed nearly 19,000 infections including 117 people who have died.

117? Um...anyone remember the media reporting 250+ died in Mexico alone?

I don't know "WHO" to believe anymore... Okay I know, that was a stretch.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #44 of 112
It's now "officially" a pandemic.

Quote:
There have been 28,774 infections reported in 74 countries to date, including 144 deaths, according to WHO's latest tally of laboratory-confirmed cases.

Let the mass hysteria ensue. Or not?

post #45 of 112
I, for one, refuse to panic unless they start calling it the Superflu.

If they start calling it Captain Trips, I'm headed for the bunker.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #46 of 112
One thing H1N1 has done has been to cause a REAL loss of US$1500 of my income.
post #47 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

477 dead in the US so far, really funny, huh jazzguru?
post #48 of 112
In the US, 1 out of 1000 who come down with it dies, and it is still spreading, which means more will die.

Japan saw its first deaths recently, and with summer vacation ending, schools are worried.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #49 of 112
Quote:

This swine flu provides great coverage for Napolitano. I mean it's been so incredibly deadly here in the US compared the common flu.

Palin! Rush! Swine Flu!

477 dead, funny huh Floorjack.
post #50 of 112
Quote:

I was on the bus Thursday and some people were wearing masks.

477 dead, funny huh Floorjack.
post #51 of 112
Quote:

Sure we can blame the media but at the same time the UN, WHO, DCD and Obama admin' stirred the pot. What better way to prove the need for your existence than to drum up some hysteria and fear?

What an incredibly tasteless post.

Hysteria and fear, i.e. raised terror threat to get elected, WMDs, death panels, health care rationing, ....

Swine Flu is real.
post #52 of 112
One of the concerns is that it will merge with the common flu, with terrible consequences.

In about 1917 or so 500,000 died in the US of flu in 1976, 25 died from the vaccine (1 in 80,000 chance of that happening) who took the vaccine. Thankfully then the fears of large deaths like 1917 didn't transpire and as a result, those 25 deaths were 24 more than the flu actually killed. What's next is the US's largest scale vaccination program ever undertaken, with most people expected to get two shots. One reason why the vaccination is considered important is to limit the chances of it combining with the common flu.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #53 of 112
It only needs a slight mutation (yes, Darwin was right) to become a true killer.

post #54 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

In the US, 1 out of 1000 who come down with it dies, and it is still spreading, which means more will die.

Japan saw its first deaths recently, and with summer vacation ending, schools are worried.

Citation? I've seen 0.5% (5 in 1000) of cases that reach the hospitals but not from the total infection rate.
post #55 of 112

post #56 of 112
Quote:

It gets even funnier
what do you think, Floorjack?
post #57 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbug View Post

It gets even funnier

"According to what the advisory report describes as a “plausible scenario,” 30 percent to 50 percent of the country’s population will be infected in the fall and winter. As many as 300,000 patients may be treated in hospital intensive care units, filling 50 percent to 100 percent of the available beds, and 30,000 to 90,000 people may die, the report said."

If that happens then surely there could be a need for what the US senate has already talked about doing- sending people to large facilities, where presumably they would also receive care as well as being quarantined. If something on this scale happens the likelihood things will be made far worse by people refusing (can't really blame them either!) to be taken to such a facility and using violence in the process is a serious concern too.
post #58 of 112
Quote:

It gets even funnier

Post back in 12 months and tell me what the CONFIRMED death toll is.
post #59 of 112
Quote:

Post back in 12 months and tell me what the CONFIRMED death toll is.

So that is what you think?
I have to tell you?
I think this info could be obtained from other sources than myself when the time comes.

Your response avoids explaining your position on the raison d'etre of WHO et al.
post #60 of 112
Quote:

So that is what you think?
I have to tell you?
I think this info could be obtained from other sources than myself when the time comes.

Your response avoids explaining your position on the raison d'etre of WHO et al.

I've already explained it. How many people have actually died of swine flu? How many have died of seasonal flu? QED.
post #61 of 112
Quote:

I've already explained it.

You have explained that you loath the existence of international agencies who deal with international problems and you feel the Obama administration's existence is hinging on making up health threats. That is one extremely intelligent point of view, bravo!
I guess making up threats about WMDs which never existed and killing hundreds of thousands of people and ruining the lives of several million is much better policy than being on the side of caution when it comes to microscopic life forms that can evolve in days.
We really don't need anyone telling us about that, we have chicken soup as long as there is no bird flu outbreak.
post #62 of 112
Quote:

You have explained that you loath the existence of international agencies who deal with international problems and you feel the Obama administration's existence is hinging on making up health threats. That is one extremely intelligent point of view, bravo!
I guess making up threats about WMDs which never existed and killing hundreds of thousands of people and ruining the lives of several million is much better policy than being on the side of caution when it comes to microscopic life forms that can evolve in days.
We really don't need anyone telling us about that, we have chicken soup as long as there is no bird flu outbreak.

Um, okay, yea.
post #63 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

And the fun goes on
Ha, ha, ha those people just don't know what they are talking about, people like jazzguru and floorjack should be consulted on these issues. They know better.
post #64 of 112
Quote:

And the fun goes on
Ha, ha, ha those people just don't know what they are talking about, people like jazzguru and floorjack should be consulted on these issues. They know better.

And of course, you miss the entire point of my post. To be expected, I suppose.

post #65 of 112
Time to start that "who is Stinkbug" thread jack.
post #66 of 112
Quote:

I am an alias of you.
post #67 of 112
Quote:

I am an alias of SDW2001.
post #68 of 112
Quote:

I am jazzguru's other alias.
post #69 of 112
Quote:

I am trumptman.
post #70 of 112
Quote:

I am Taskiss.
post #71 of 112
Bullshit. You're obviously Spartacus.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #72 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Bullshit. You're obviously Spartacus.

Thanks for that!
post #73 of 112
Quote:

I am Floorjacking off.
post #74 of 112
Quote:

I am NoahJ.
post #75 of 112
Quote:

I am NoahJ.

Yay!! I wonder where I went!!!
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #76 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

I, for one, refuse to panic unless they start calling it the Superflu.

If they start calling it Captain Trips, I'm headed for the bunker.

I'm waiting for them to start calling it Rage.

*polishes his shotgun again*
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #77 of 112
I got my flu shot already. I'll get H1N1 when it's ready.
post #78 of 112
Had it already. I wasn't bedridden and miserable, but it wasn't fun for about 3 weeks and I still have a lingering cough.
post #79 of 112
Could the seasonal flu shot increase your risk of H1N1?

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...sonal-flu.html

Quote:
Provinces and territories appear to have no standard approach to flu vaccinations as they examine preliminary research suggesting people who have had seasonal flu shots might be at greater risk of catching swine flu.

This has yet to be fully reviewed however, so take it for what it is worth.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #80 of 112
NoahJ
NoahJ
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Flu pandemic