or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters - Page 3

post #81 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

Ok, since some people don't understand the upgrade eligibility...

If you purchased the iPhone 3G in July, August or September of last year AND...

You spend over $99.99 a month on the data and voice plan combined...

Then you will be eligible to upgrade early on Friday.

Remember, taxes, gps, fees, overages, etc... do not count toward that total dollar amount.

Any questions?

I do not think you are correct. I have the minimum voice and text plan so my bill is just under $100 per month including taxes, fees. I preordered through Apple and paid the $499. I purchased my 3g in July of 2008. I just called AT&T and they said the credit card that I used at the Apple store will not be charged $499, it will be charged $299. They confirmed that by indicating they will call my cell phone on June 20th at 3pm to confirm I was only billed the $299 and if I am charged the higher amount they will issue a refund. Sounds to me like they are going to take care of their customers. I called AT&T at 800.331.0500
post #82 of 207
Quote:
has anybody actually seen on the apple website the new adjusted qualifying price? I went to apple.com and tried to place my order, but it still says $499 for the 32 gig. I bought mine launch day last year 2008. Are there any other 2008-launch day 3G owners that have physically seen the new reflected amount?

read through this thread one more time and I think you'll eventually get it
post #83 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

Is a land lione the opposite of a sea lion?

You're not getting it, the land lione was using a seal phone.
post #84 of 207
.....
post #85 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

I care. I don't expect them to destroy the phone after I return it unopened. It just doesn't make sense for *me* to pay the extra $200 dollars.

I tried to cancel on Apple.com and could not. And I tried calling Apple to cancel and was on hold for 35 minutes before the dropped my call.

Or were you implying I thought there was some cosmic significance in my noble actions?? *You're telling us more about yourself than you mean to , me thinks.

People who say "me thinks" (can't even pay enough attention to spell it correctly - it's one word not two) have invariably just said something stupid.

My point is that you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. You're going through a lot of extra effort in some attempt to thumb your nose at ATT, and in the end you're only hurting yourself.

Waaaaa!
post #86 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

People who say "me thinks" (can't even pay enough attention to spell it correctly - it's one word not two) have invariably just said something stupid.

My point is that you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. You're going through a lot of extra effort in some attempt to thumb your nose at ATT, and in the end you're only hurting yourself.

Waaaaa!

Before this gets into a flame war let me state my case:
1)I am returning the phone unopened because i am unhappy with the price

That's the whole thing. Why is that so "waaahhh!" to you?
post #87 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompy View Post

You're not getting it, the land lione was using a seal phone.

I called a STARfish that had a SAT phone and it worked fine, boy talk about a heavenly body!
post #88 of 207
Quote:
For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line are generally eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.

[...]

Specifically, AT&T said it will offer iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 its best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18.

I got mine a few weeks after the intro last year (waited for the "stampede effect" to pass), but my "upgrade eligible" date isn't until Jan. 1st 2010 - 17 months later.

So, apparently because I am only on the 450 minute plan and I'm also on a FAN account and thus get a 15% discount on the base plan, I pay under $99 a month and therefore am not eligible to take advantage of this offer. Meh.

The title of this thread should be changed to "AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters ... who spend a lot of money".
post #89 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfish86 View Post

WOW I CANNOT BELEIVE THAT SOME PEOPLE DONT COMPREHEND WHAT THEY READ!!!! IF YOU BOUGHT THE I PHONE BETWEEN LAUNCH DATE AND SEPTEMBER LAST YEAR YOU WILL QUALIFY!!! THIS IS A GIFT YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY. PLUS MOST OF YOU HAVENT EVEN HAD YOUR PHONE FOR A YEAR. STOP WHIINING. ARE YOU GOING TO SPEND MONEY ON A NEW PHONE EVERY SINGLE YEAR. THEY SHOULD RELEASE A NEW ONE EVERY 6 MONTHS BECAUSE ALL OF YOU FOOLS WOULD BUY THEM OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not correct. Based on this article

"Specifically, AT&T said it will offer iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 its best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18."

That does not mean if you bought your iPhone 3G on July, Aug, or Sept 2008 you will be eligible. I bought mine 2 days after release and I am not eligible until Dec. Therefore, I will not be able to get the $199 price. You will only be eligible if you bought your iPhone 3G on those months AND your monthly bill is more than $100 per line.
post #90 of 207
I bought the first gen iphone, and the 3G the day they came out... Cant be much more of an early adopters than that... and im not eligible till 12-10... WTF is that! How can ATT sit there and say in there comments that this is for the early adopters! Doesnt make sense to me?!
post #91 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Actually as someone that did watch the video, what great news? We knew MMS and tethering was coming, if anything we found out that MMS will count as a regular text message but that tethering will be AN EXTRA CHARGE. Really that's great news?

I got my phone for $299 no crying / whining here, if anything I was bummed they held the phones back till friday shipping but big deal, I'll just watching the vids on apple's site 340 more times till then =D

I'm just pointing out there really isn't any great news on that vid, if anything we found out they will be charging for one of the new features not yet available in the US.

EIGHT

ITS 8+1

The good news is 3 extra months getting The cheap upgrade rate.
and they finally confirmed MMS and will confirm with more details about the tethering issue .
I did not see any price yet for tethering except you may need a data card usb device or something like that. O thatS right there is a charge for tethering. Sorry my mistake. I will now down grade the news from GLOSSY to GOOD

Good luck with your iphone dude

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #92 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

Before this gets into a flame war let me state my case:
1)I am returning the phone unopened because i am unhappy with the price

That's the whole thing. Why is that so "waaahhh!" to you?

You bought the phone less than a week ago! Did the price change?
post #93 of 207
Now if AT&T would offer a data plan less than $30 then I would gladly go out and buy the new iphone. I have the 1st gen iphone and I only pay $20 for unlimited data and also get 200 text messages. Hopefully AT&T listens to this.
post #94 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfish86 View Post

WOW I CANNOT BELEIVE THAT SOME PEOPLE DONT COMPREHEND WHAT THEY READ!!!! IF YOU BOUGHT THE I PHONE BETWEEN LAUNCH DATE AND SEPTEMBER LAST YEAR YOU WILL QUALIFY!!! THIS IS A GIFT YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY. PLUS MOST OF YOU HAVENT EVEN HAD YOUR PHONE FOR A YEAR. STOP WHIINING. ARE YOU GOING TO SPEND MONEY ON A NEW PHONE EVERY SINGLE YEAR. THEY SHOULD RELEASE A NEW ONE EVERY 6 MONTHS BECAUSE ALL OF YOU FOOLS WOULD BUY THEM OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude..
Reading the text in ALL CAPS LOCK is disgusting and horrible..
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Reply
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Reply
post #95 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

, I will not be able to get the $199 price. You will only be eligible if you bought your iPhone 3G on those months AND your monthly bill is more than $100 per line.

That's not true either. I pay more than $99 a month (before taxes) and am not eligible until December.

The real reason it's so hard to figure out is - AT&T does not share their upgrade eligibility criteria with consumers.

Everyone's best bet is to call AT&T directly and try to figure it our. (Although AT&T will often give contradictory answers if you call more than once.)
post #96 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post

The title of this thread should be changed to "AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters ... who spend a lot of money".

The actual title should read:
"AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters ... who spend a lot of money... and have therefore covered the friggin' cost of their 3G iPhone"
post #97 of 207
Thats not right... Wait till the 18th and youll understand.
post #98 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You bought the phone less than a week ago! Did the price change?

For some people it did.

And the terms are the same as when I bought it - I can return it for a full refund and the contract extension will not be enforced as long as I don not open it and return it within 14 days. Is that too whiny for you??
post #99 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

That's not true either. I pay more than $99 a month (before taxes) and am not eligible until December.

The real reason it's so hard to figure out is - AT&T does not share their upgrade eligibility criteria with consumers.

Everyone's best bet is to call AT&T directly and try to figure it our. (Although AT&T will often give contradictory answers if you call more than once.)

This is what AT&T said in their press release:

"For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract."
post #100 of 207
Wow.

What a bunch of whiners. Just sell your 3G through eBay or NextWorth and be done with it. The money you get back should more than cover the difference.

Perhaps Apple should launch a "Whine Different" campaign to make some of you happy.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #101 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

For some people it did.

And the terms are the same as when I bought it - I can return it for a full refund and the contract extension will not be enforced as long as I don not open it and return it within 14 days. Is that too whiny for you??

Dude he is only trying to cool you down a ittle so you don't end up spiting yourself for no reason.
He was being friendly. So leave it be .

Also it is not clear what changed your mind from the day you placed order and today ?

anyway good luck

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #102 of 207
AT&T has gotten more new business & contracts because of Apple and iPhone than they ever would have for any other reason. The upgrade surcharge is pure screw-the-customer gravy for them. There's no way a new 3G (sans S) costs more than $200 to manufacture - and we've paid back R&D and marketing and then some by now.

AT&T is still pure SUCK and as soon as I can jump back to a decent carrier I will gladly pay an early termination fee to do so. It'll be refreshing to hate Verizon for a change.

All you AT&T apologists...you have my sympathies. You are apparently the ones who will buy anything.
post #103 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I want a thorough investigation. People who have had another smart phone with another carrier- say a BlackBerry on Verizon-- for less than two years, go on over to the Verizon store and demand new customer pricing.

+1

Can any of you whiners tell us of your previous experiences in getting your phone upgraded one year into a two year contract ... and not paying extra for the privilege?
post #104 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Craigslist should be flooded with iphone 3g's soon lol

>A used iPhone may be stolen. AT&T will active an iPhone that has been reported stolen and upon request inform the actual iPhone owner the area of the country that the stolen iPhone is being used, but won't notify the user or provide information on the user. AT&T apparently doesn't want to offend that stolen iPhone user with a communication informing of the situation and asking them to respond or deliver the iPhone to AT$T, even though they can see that the user of the stolen iPhone has had several phones in a short period of time. So it's a police matter. Only buy a used iPhone from someone you know or risk the police showing up at your door.
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #105 of 207
this topic needs a theme song

na na na na
hey hey hey
goodbye
na na na na ....
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #106 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

For some people it did.

And the terms are the same as when I bought it - I can return it for a full refund and the contract extension will not be enforced as long as I don not open it and return it within 14 days. Is that too whiny for you??

No. Posting it on a message board as if you're some hero standing up to the big bad machine is though.
post #107 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

+1

Can any of you whiners tell us of your previous experiences in getting your phone upgraded one year into a two year contract ... and not paying extra for the privilege?

1st off: We are not whiners. You perceive us to be that because you are unloving and/or stupid person. (Or do you not like when people call you names?)

and
2)Verizon let me upgrade without any penalty 3 times in 2.9 years. I did have to pay for the new equipment, which was not the retail price but the cheaper price (they only showed two prices - not three like AT&T), and each time I had to extend my contract by 1 year. Plus activiation fees. These were not smart phones.

I left Verizon for AT&T and had to pay a prorated ETF of something like $110 dollars.
post #108 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

No. Posting it on a message board as if you're some hero standing up to the big bad machine is though.

Sorry your perceptions and my intentions were different.

Let me apologize to your daughters Willow and Bristol, to you, and to your husband Todd. It will do better next post.
post #109 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ITS 8+1

The good news is 3 extra months getting The cheap upgrade rate.
and they finally confirmed MMS and will confirm with more details about the tethering issue .
I did not see any price yet for tethering except you may need a data card usb device or something like that. O thatS right there is a charge for tethering. Sorry my mistake. I will now down grade the news from GLOSSY to GOOD

Good luck with your iphone dude

9

But but I prefer Eight, at least that's what my GF said .. god lying bit... wait where was i, Oh yes, sorry I just didn't see any GREAT news in the video, granted the fact that they aren't deciding to charge more for MMS is actually a really good thing, I was expecting some whole different pricing plan for that, so I will give you that. The tethering, well I'm sure someone will come out with a way to do that (even though for me personality it isn't something I foresee using right at this moment in time).

And I do agree that people need to stop whining about the 3 month window, and if it was a 4 month window then people that are 5 months out would whine and so on and so on and so on.
post #110 of 207
I am told that customers that have a plan on a single line $99 and over, and are within July, August, September purchase date 2008 are eligible to purchase a new phone at the 199, 299 price. That i wouldnt see my eligibility until tomorrow the 18th.
post #111 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

The actual title should read:
"AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters ... who spend a lot of money... and have therefore covered the friggin' cost of their 3G iPhone"

No, that isn't the case. If someone's eligibility date is in September of this year, that is when they will have paid off the subsidy on their iPhone 3G. Not now. Yet they are allowed to upgrade now, a full 3 months before their upgrade-eligibility date.

Before this announcement, I was happy to honor the terms of my contract and wait 'til after January. I was definitely in the "Suck it up and stop whining" crowd.

Now this brings up the interesting possibility that the person who bought their iPhone 3G right after me could be eligible to get a 3G S a full 6 1/2 months before I am, just because they spend a little more money a month on their bill and pushed their upgrade-eligibility date up by a few months compared to mine.

At that point the issue stops being about entitlement and 'whining' and more about preferential treatment. I can see letting people whose upgrade-eligibility dates were in July (i.e., early adopters, high-paying customers with the minimum 12-month wait 'til their upgrade-eligibility date) do it early, but not the August and September ones.
post #112 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

this topic needs a theme song

na na na na
hey hey hey
goodbye
na na na na ....

You broke the code!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #113 of 207
I very much appreciate AT&T doing this after I had already agreed to pay the higher amount. Heck, now I wish I had gotten the 32gb instead!
post #114 of 207
Once everyone gets out of their mind that there is some amount that you are paying down, you'll finally start to understand how this works.

ATT has a product (that they buy from Apple) that they sell to you for a price. If you agree to the terms (the contract) then you will get an upgraded phone with a new subsidy if and only if ATT wants to give it to you. While the rule of thumb is that the more you pay, the sooner they are willing to give you a new subsidized phone, there is no hard rule to it. And because this is capitalism, you are not forced to buy it and they are not forced to sell it to you. If the price is too high, you don't buy. But there is no paying off of the subsidy. Your monthly payment does not go to pay anything off except for the invoice that you owe for that month.
post #115 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshermanoaks View Post

I very much appreciate AT&T doing this after I had already agreed to pay the higher amount. Heck, now I wish I had gotten the 32gb instead!

same here!

iPhone, iPod
Reply
iPhone, iPod
Reply
post #116 of 207
I spent a bit of time talking to the local AT&T manager who fully understands my ire. There were special circumstances surrounding my purchase of iPhone 2.0 that he was fully aware of as he was the one who helped me with working through the issues originally and we've become friends. He would have helped me adjust the rate if he could, I truly believe, but as a local manager he has absolutely NO leeway in adjusting the date. His suggestion was to call up AT&T Customer Service, explain the circumstances and how upset I am - not that she could do anything, but he believes the more people complain, the more AT&T is likely to adjust the policy.

The customer service representative was not well informed (prior to our call), but she said people had been complaining in great numbers. She said the information does get passed up to higher management, so my advice to everyone out there is call and complain!
post #117 of 207
Why all the bitching? Isn't this what everyone wanted? If you were an early adopter you get the new 3GS for the same price as if you had not had a contract, right?
post #118 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Why all the bitching? Isn't this what everyone wanted? If you were an early adopter you get the new 3GS for the same price as if you had not had a contract, right?

Not for everyone. I'd say only for a minority of them. You probably need to read the article to the end.
post #119 of 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not for everyone. I'd say only for a minority of them. You probably need to read the article to the end.

for those who bought it in July, August or September of last year get the upgrade pricing- sounds good to me- what's the problem?
post #120 of 207
How does this work for the family plan? If a family has 3 iphones and pays say $175 can they all upgrade or can only one upgrade, would the bill need to be over $300 for all to qualify?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters