Maine's expanded MacBook program the 'largest of its kind'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Most schools don't, but the ones that offer training don't get far as long as the teachers DO NOT except training, unless they ARE getting PAID for their time

As a Mac Users Group we offered to train the teachers in our school district, and what we had the first night, was several teachers show up, and ALL ask the same question, "who has the paperwork for us, so we can get paid for this time"?

Skip

Yes, this is what I was referring to arguing about with the teachers in my family. I work about 2k-2200 hours per year to make 67k. They do not work nearly as much, and yet buying pencils out of their pocket seems to them like a complete travesty of justice. I explain to them that the State doesnt pick up the tab for my Van, my ladders, my tools, etc. Why do they expect to be paid for their tools to do their job?

School Days Per Year

School Days Comparison Graph

\t

School Days

School\t180

County Avg\t179.0

State Avg\t182.4

\t

School Hours Per Day

School Hours Comparison Graph

\t

School Hours Per Day

\t

School Hours Per Year

School\t5:45\t1,035 Hours

County Avg\t6:10\t1,104 Hours

State Avg\t6:43\t1,225 Hours

This is from http://new-york.schooltree.org/priva...my-005533.html

Just to do the math, because their argument is they work at home grading papers as well, if you nearly double the time and say they work 10 hour days for 180 days, that is 1800 hours. Not bad for 60-65K a year (many, many teachers make well over that figure btw), with summers off and crazy vacation time during the year as well.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Here is a State that understands what is important. In most states, especially in California, they spend the school money for the Prisons Industrial Complex. Shame on you Arnold Schwarzenegger, the N**i!

Way to go, State of Maine! You have shown that children is the future.

And you just put it back a few decades.

I would suggest that you edit out your malicious comment toute de suite.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Not bad for 60-65K a year (many, many teachers make well over that figure btw)

And many, many times more than than earn no where near that amount.

Average salary for K-12 in US is ~$52k.

Only 11 states have a average more than $55k.

Obviously that will go up/down based on location.

http://dcjobsource.com/teachersalaries.html

(other sites are comparable)
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:

Yes, this is what I was referring to arguing about with the teachers in my family. I work about 2k-2200 hours per year to make 67k. They do not work nearly as much, and yet buying pencils out of their pocket seems to them like a complete travesty of justice. I explain to them that the State doesnt pick up the tab for my Van, my ladders, my tools, etc. Why do they expect to be paid for their tools to do their job?

School Days Per Year

School Days Comparison Graph

\t

School Days

School\t180

County Avg\t179.0

State Avg\t182.4

\t

School Hours Per Day

School Hours Comparison Graph

\t

School Hours Per Day

\t

School Hours Per Year

School\t5:45\t1,035 Hours

County Avg\t6:10\t1,104 Hours

State Avg\t6:43\t1,225 Hours

This is from http://new-york.schooltree.org/priva...my-005533.html

Just to do the math, because their argument is they work at home grading papers as well, if you nearly double the time and say they work 10 hour days for 180 days, that is 1800 hours. Not bad for 60-65K a year (many, many teachers make well over that figure btw), with summers off and crazy vacation time during the year as well.

There are lot of problems in education and I do not want to hikack this thread. The number of days students spend in school is set by an agricultural calender so students could help on the farm. Yes it is antiquated and should be changed.

Teachers after a few years on the job, in NY make about $67,000. It is not a lot when you are required to get a masters degree plus an additional 30 masters level credits, or an additional masters.

The amount of time spent teaching is only part of the problem. While you seem down on teachers and what they do, try this. Give a party to your child and invite 31 additional friends. Now get them all to sit for the next six hours and teach them several subjects. Do it without any additional assistance from another adult. Best of luck. Most parents have trouble with their own kids on an outing for a shorter period of time.

Buying a few pencils? I spend close to 5 thousand dollars a year for things students should bring to class. Pens, paper, notebooks, glue, pencils, tissues...
  • Reply 25 of 58
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Buying in bulk is cheaper...Anyone have an idea of what they would pay per Macbook? $800 maybe? Great PR for Apple.

I work for a school in upstate NY and were about to get 75 Macs this summer (replacing PCs) and Apple discounted the educational price of the Macs we ordered. Those Macs are the white MacBooks upgraded to 4GB of RAM, and the 2.66 GHz 20" iMac upgraded with 4GB of RAM. They took anywhere from an extra $130-160 off the already educational institution discount. So yes, Apple is willing to work with people to get them a good deal.

I'm unable to give you the exact prices (confidential), but somewhere in the range of $850 w/2GB and $900 w/4GB. This was for around 60 white MacBooks.

Also, the price of AppleCare was discounted....
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlanganki View Post

I think this is a terrible use of tax dollars. I personally never learned anything on a computer in school that I couldn't have learned from a book. This is needlessly wasteful. Computers are not educational, they dumb you down like TV.

And I suppose you think computers are just used as toys and students just sit there and play Oregon Trail all day long.

You have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. You sound these these annoying parents that love to come to board of education meetings to bitch and complain about things you don't have any clue about, you just think you do. Most people have no clue what its like to run a school district....

I work in a school district and we've seen computers increase students learning abilities immensely, especially students with special needs.

If the computers are deployed correctly and used correctly they can be better than any text book. Some computers are even replacing text books. The more interactive you can get, the more improvements you'll see.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Buying in bulk is cheaper...Anyone have an idea of what they would pay per Macbook? $800 maybe? Great PR for Apple.

15% OFF

And 65,700 free ipod touches !!

Maine will be swimming with ipod touches soon .
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I work for a school in upstate NY and were about to get 75 Macs this summer (replacing PCs) and Apple discounted the educational price of the Macs we ordered. Those Macs are the white MacBooks upgraded to 4GB of RAM, and the 2.66 GHz 20" iMac upgraded with 4GB of RAM. They took anywhere from an extra $130-160 off the already educational institution discount. So yes, Apple is willing to work with people to get them a good deal.

I'm unable to give you the exact prices (confidential), but somewhere in the range of $850 w/2GB and $900 w/4GB. This was for around 60 white MacBooks.

Also, the price of AppleCare was discounted....

I know Apple will work with you. Best of luck with your laptops. In NYC we are stuck with the mayor's exclusive deal with Dell. You can check the prices at shopdoe, the Doe's online catalogue. My gripe would be with the city and their purchasing not Apple. I will say my experience with the Apple reps have been outstanding. Go Jill Kaufman at Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:

I believe this is the 4th, 5th year?

As a parent, I think it's great, BUT this money would be MUCH better spent, keeping teachers employed, keeping sports on the programs, fixing up some of the schools, at least turn on the heat

Skip

NO no take it back dude . As a parent you would be thrilled that your kids have a great tool to learn like a MBP

These student will be better prepared to face college life.

No teacher will Lose there job if you gave the kids a text book right. There both tools LIKE A PENCIL .

PEACE

• Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Willier7 View Post

There are lot of problems in education and I do not want to hikack this thread. The number of days students spend in school is set by an agricultural calender so students could help on the farm. Yes it is antiquated and should be changed.

Teachers after a few years on the job, in NY make about $67,000. It is not a lot when you are required to get a masters degree plus an additional 30 masters level credits, or an additional masters.

The amount of time spent teaching is only part of the problem. While you seem down on teachers and what they do, try this. Give a party to your child and invite 31 additional friends. Now get them all to sit for the next six hours and teach them several subjects. Do it without any additional assistance from another adult. Best of luck. Most parents have trouble with their own kids on an outing for a shorter period of time.

Buying a few pencils? I spend close to 5 thousand dollars a year for things students should bring to class. Pens, paper, notebooks, glue, pencils, tissues...

5k a year is seriously doubtful, like I said there are 6 teachers in my family I see everyday. Just because you deal with 30 kids at a time with no help, do not assume you are the norm. Because 5K on supplies and 30 kids to a class per teacher is highly abnormal, and I would not let my daughter attend your school if that is the case. I am not down on teachers, I am down on the "parents cant do my job so I should get more" or the " my supplies should be paid for by someone else." It's a job, and everyone has to deal with that stuff. It sounds to me like you would see the taxes increased just to get more money in your pocket than laptops for every student.

That said, if you do have 30 kids in your class, nothing would be better than all of them having their own laptops while you can monitor their screens from yours, and present to the class on screen.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Willier7 View Post

I know Apple will work with you. Best of luck with your laptops. In NYC we are stuck with the mayor's exclusive deal with Dell. You can check the prices at shopdoe, the Doe's online catalogue. My gripe would be with the city and their purchasing not Apple. I will say my experience with the Apple reps have been outstanding. Go Jill Kaufman at Apple.

Apple so far has been absolutely great! They will even be sending a tech down to help us get everything setup. Were primarily a Windows centric school so these Macs will be integrating with Active Directory.

Apple basically came to us earlier in the year and we had a meeting with the superintendent and our IT team about the probability of using Macs in a Windows environment, which obviously can be done fairly easily these days.

Then Apple gave a presentation to the faculty in both the high school and elementary school and they absolutely LOVED the Mac! Some even said they're going to get one for their home use just by the presentation given that day. So that being said, they were very popular and so were getting some Macs.

They will be dual boot computers. Were currently waiting for them to arrive so we can start some massive testing on our network so we know what the Apple tech will need to work on.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:

5k a year is seriously doubtful, like I said there are 6 teachers in my family I see everyday. Just because you deal with 30 kids at a time with no help, do not assume you are the norm. Because 5K on supplies and 30 kids to a class per teacher is highly abnormal, and I would not let my daughter attend your school if that is the case. I am not down on teachers, I am down on the "parents cant do my job so I should get more" or the " my supplies should be paid for by someone else." It's a job, and everyone has to deal with that stuff. It sounds to me like you would see the taxes increased just to get more money in your pocket than laptops for every student.

That said, if you do have 30 kids in your class, nothing would be better than all of them having their own laptops while you can monitor their screens from yours, and present to the class on screen.

Gee as a computer teacher, I never thought of that (sarcasm). I purchased the schools copy of ARD. It not only allows me to view the students computers in my lab, but also allows me to monitor all the Macs in the building. I also can install, update software in the entire building.

As a lab teacher I see 400 students a week. 4000 homeworks a marking period as well as 400 projects a marking period. I read and view all of them on my time. While you my know some teachers you are hung up on your own problems. Most teachers are hard working. Not all of them, like any profession. Making blanket statements about their work ethics or the money they make is compared to the time they work is foolish. Maybe you should become a teacher and stop the jealousy and join the easy life you portray.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    I take it no one on here owns a house.

Otherwise you would see this idea stinks.

Who in the heck would want their MIL rate to go up to buy their neighbors notebooks?

Get a job and buy your own.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Try to shut the camera on on a macbook.

Or do you think it is OK for these kids streaming themselves naked over the NET? And meeting people thru the use of laptops that the tax payer supply.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Well I also work in IT for a School.

I see students all day in the LABS trying to download warez,set up torrents, use face book and all the other Social crap online. They try all the Proxy sites daily to try to get around the firewall.

I wonder when the kids actually pay attention to the teacher?

The teacher has the ability to shut the computers down with their computer but they don't.

If you think these programs are a success stop fooling yourselves and just say you want someone else to buy you a laptop.

Do a google search and see all the school systems that failed trying to run a laptop program, Maine just isn't reporting the truth behind close doors just like I am not able to tell tax payers what their children actually does at school!

And to top it off I get to call and have websites and blogs shutdown because someone is blogging little Sally is a slut. Which shouldn't be a schools problem!
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post

Try to shut the camera on on a macbook.

Or do you think it is OK for these kids streaming themselves naked over the NET? And meeting people thru the use of laptops that the tax payer supply.

Assuming you meant, try and turn the webcam OFF....

You can manage any apps that make use of the cameras with OS X Server. Student's wouldn't have rights to install apps. The fact that there is cameras on them actually make them useful for certain things.

This is really a BS argument. Talk about scraping for misc scraps on the bottom of the barrel for an argument against this purchase.....
  • Reply 37 of 58
    I argue with teachers all day long over their pay rates.

Don't like the job leave and get another no one forces you to stay there.

Guess what none of them leave because they enjoy those summers off and the health plans.

And yes after tenure they make way to much $$$ to teach off the WEB or out of a book in CT.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    And what about when they go home with them?

What about when they try to boot off USB,CD ETC ETC.

I seen all the tricks of the trades and visit other schools and none of this stuff is set up right.

Are you stopping them from throwing another HD in it when the get home? NO.

I go thru this stuff on a daily basis.

And when a parent comes into school to complain you will loose that fight!

Have you ever tried to get a parent to pay for a stolen laptop? Do you have to buy Lowjack at addition cost?

No schools in my area run OSX servers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Assuming you meant, try and turn the webcam OFF....

You can manage any apps that make use of the cameras with OS X Server. Student's wouldn't have rights to install apps. The fact that there is cameras on them actually make them useful for certain things.

This is really a BS argument. Talk about scraping for misc scraps on the bottom of the barrel for an argument against this purchase.....

• Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlanganki View Post

I think this is a terrible use of tax dollars. I personally never learned anything on a computer in school that I couldn't have learned from a book. This is needlessly wasteful. Computers are not educational, they dumb you down like TV.

HA ha ha ha ha

Tens of millions of USA students do 100 percent of theIr high school /college work on their computers . And the line keeps s moving to younger and younger grades. My son is in the 3rd grade NYC advanced class.

They have 8 computer labs in his school and his room itself has 4 dells .

Maine rocks . NYC is too big for this ?? NO its too corrupt.

In the UISA we have an army of computer toting kids. A flash mob to end all flash mobs. Sadly i wonder how many KIDS can't find <fill in blank>ON A MAP. .

Yet books are important too. Barnes and noble is always packed.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    This is so true!

Then they will file a Grievance to the union if you don't agree to their terms they are gone at 3:00 no later.

They also expect to be fed on the tax payers dollars.

Quote:

Most schools don't, but the ones that offer training don't get far as long as the teachers DO NOT except training, unless they ARE getting PAID for their time

As a Mac Users Group we offered to train the teachers in our school district, and what we had the first night, was several teachers show up, and ALL ask the same question, "who has the paperwork for us, so we can get paid for this time"?

Skip