Apple Store sold me wrong MBP;I need advice!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I purchased a new MacBook Pro from the Apple Store yesterday. You don't get to see the machine you are buying. They give you the box and you head home. I didn't worry about it because I knew they would give me the latest. Well they didn't. Here is the link to the latest configuration as advertised on the Apple site.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP544

I purchased the 15 inch 2.66Ghz model with 320GB and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory. That is the machine in the middle on the chart.

Today I discovered that machine matches the specs except I don't have an SD slot but instead I have the Express slot. This is odd because I can't find the configuration anywhere on the Apple site. I thought the 2.66 speed was new and the Express slot was old. How did they get on the same machine? Do I have a customized machine that didn't sell?

Will Apple exchange the machine? I want them to exchange tomorrow at the store.

Is there some advantage to the Express slot? What do people use it for?

Would you keep or return?

By the way, I paid full price as advertised for the new model featuring the SD slot. Look at this link:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ro?mco=MTE4NDY

I paid $1999. That's not a fire sale price. I think I have been tricked!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I wouldn't pay full price for the old model. There should be no problem with exchanging it.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I wouldn't pay full price for the old model. There should be no problem with exchanging it.

Fishy story>>> we need the model number he bought or maybe he got a 17

' instead..

• Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Fishy story>>> we need the model number he bought or maybe he got a 17

' instead..

The fact that brucep thinks my story is fishy lets me know that I was duped. Even brucep believes this could have not happened.

But to be sure I just took a long hard look. I just realized that I dont have the 2.66Ghz model with 320GB and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory. Instead I have the 2.66Ghz model with 320GB and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 512MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory. This means I paid $1999 when the machine with the 512MB card costs more.

My model number is A1286 and definately 15inches.

However, I do have an Express slot and not SD. This machine appears to have been built customized and was sold to me in the Apple store as one of the standard configurations? This could have easily been a mistake and I'm not upset.

I just want advice. Is having the more expensive graphics card enough to keep from taking the machine back? I plan on using the machine for some lightweight movie editing to post to the web. Maybe I should keep the graphics card because $1999 machine only has 256MB?

Which is better to have Express 34 or SD slot?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post

The fact that brucep thinks my story is fishy lets me know that I was duped. Even brucep believes this could have not happened.

But to be sure I just took a long hard look. I just realized that I dont have the 2.66Ghz model with 320GB and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory. Instead I have the 2.66Ghz model with 320GB and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 512MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory. This means I paid $1999 when the machine with the 512MB card costs more.

However, I do have an Express slot and not SD. This machine appears to have been built customized and was sold to me in the Apple store as one of the standard configurations? This could have easily been a mistake and I'm not upset.

I just want advice. Is having the more expensive graphics card enough to keep from taking the machine back? I plan on using the machine for some lightweight movie editing to post to the web. Maybe I should keep the graphics card because $1999 machine only has 256MB?

Why do you need an SD Slot when you can download photos off your camera by simply plugging in the camera to your laptop?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

well did the 2.66 MHz ever come with 512mb gpu memory ?

If you got last years model for this yrs price and your happy with thE express card slot , you may want to keep it ..

if you keep it tHEn use it fOr week and then take it back and complain you wanted an sd card slot !! They may give you a free ipod or something . Go there on a busy sunday. i will see what my apple man says . Be back soon
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Is your battery internal or can you take your battery out ???
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Is your battery internal or can you take your battery out ???

I can take the battery out.

I just left the Apple Store and they admit they made a mistake. They sold me a machine made earlier this year. They promised it was not a refurb but was manufactured just before the new one became available.

They offered to exchange with no problem and offered to transfer my data. However, I would be getting the 256MB graphics card not the 512MB I currently have. Then the salesman convinced me to keep it!! He pointed out that I have a better graphics card and that my machine sold for more than $1999 (the price I paid). He also stated that I could do more with the Express Card than the SD slot. He told me he would give me a free Express card for SD ($34.99 value).

We discussed the fact that I would be doing some video editing and the 516MB was better than 256MB. Then we discussed that I can buy a spare battery for $129 while the new machines have irreplaceable battery.

This disadvantage was my machine maxed at 4GB memory and the upgraded one maxed at 8GB. Mine is therefore already maxed.

I decided to keep it because of the graphics card, the fact I can buy express cards to add functionality, and the battery difference is only 2 hours.

This guy had me feeling like I had a huge bargain and walked out with the machine and I came in with and the Express Card!!

Damn!!

Did I do the best thing? What did your Apple man say?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

Why do you need an SD Slot when you can download photos off your camera by simply plugging in the camera to your laptop?

If you simply have the USB cable with you and simply have an open USB port. The SD cart slot is more convenient.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,416moderator
    Quote:

Did I do the best thing?

You essentially got the last model at the same price as the new one but you could have got that model as a refurb much less.

On the other hand, you haven't lost any performance and the extra VRam will help in some types of video work.

The ExpressCard is more functional than an SD slot but you have to buy adaptors. The fact he gave you an adaptor was quite good.

The 4GB Ram limit doesn't mean anything just now as the 8GB kit is very expensive - $900 I think. In a few years time it will drop but for now it doesn't matter.

Overall, I'd say it was the better choice to stick with what you had because you can replace your HDD and battery much more easily than the new one.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You essentially got the last model at the same price as the new one but you could have got that model as a refurb much less.

On the other hand, you haven't lost any performance and the extra VRam will help in some types of video work.

The ExpressCard is more functional than an SD slot but you have to buy adaptors. The fact he gave you an adaptor was quite good.

The 4GB Ram limit doesn't mean anything just now as the 8GB kit is very expensive - $900 I think. In a few years time it will drop but for now it doesn't matter.

Overall, I'd say it was the better choice to stick with what you had because you can replace your HDD and battery much more easily than the new one.

Thanks Marvin!! I didn't think about the fact that HDD replacement was easier. I could upgrade later more easily. Yep you are right, the additional RAM is way to expensive. I already priced it. I feel better for keeping the machine. I'm going to go and get my extra battery now because my boss holds meetings for eight hours sometimes and I don't like cords running everywhere.

This is my first spank new MacBook!!!
  • Reply 11 of 26
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    They made a mistake, but overall I think you came out of it better off! Enjoy your new mbp!
  • Reply 12 of 26
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Apple completely bends people over on RAM prices. There is no reason to charge that kind of money for going from 4 to 8GB. Take a look at newegg.com sometime. Plenty of very good, reliable RAM makers, 3rd party you pay about 10% of that.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:

I can take the battery out.

I just left the Apple Store and they admit they made a mistake. They sold me a machine made earlier this year. They promised it was not a refurb but was manufactured just before the new one became available.

They offered to exchange with no problem and offered to transfer my data. However, I would be getting the 256MB graphics card not the 512MB I currently have. Then the salesman convinced me to keep it!! He pointed out that I have a better graphics card and that my machine sold for more than $1999 (the price I paid). He also stated that I could do more with the Express Card than the SD slot. He told me he would give me a free Express card for SD ($34.99 value).

We discussed the fact that I would be doing some video editing and the 516MB was better than 256MB. Then we discussed that I can buy a spare battery for $129 while the new machines have irreplaceable battery.

This disadvantage was my machine maxed at 4GB memory and the upgraded one maxed at 8GB. Mine is therefore already maxed.

I decided to keep it because of the graphics card, the fact I can buy express cards to add functionality, and the battery difference is only 2 hours.

This guy had me feeling like I had a huge bargain and walked out with the machine and I came in with and the Express Card!!

Damn!!

Did I do the best thing? What did your Apple man say?

Dude...you're crazy. The new machine is far superior, which is why I took back my 1 week old MBP to exchange for a new, cheaper and better one. He should have discounted the machine in the least. I believe those models are going for like $500 less than they were. You paid out the ass for a subpar machine, relatively speaking. The new ones are faster, have the SD card slot (which can be used to boot), have almost twice the battery life, etc.

BTW: "The battery difference is only two hours." Yeah, or like 50% greater capacity. Nice move.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Dude...you're crazy. The new machine is far superior, which is why I took back my 1 week old MBP to exchange for a new, cheaper and better one. He should have discounted the machine in the least. I believe those models are going for like $500 less than they were. You paid out the ass for a subpar machine, relatively speaking. The new ones are faster, have the SD card slot (which can be used to boot), have almost twice the battery life, etc.

BTW: "The battery difference is only two hours." Yeah, or like 50% greater capacity. Nice move.

SDW2001 I hear what you are saying but you dont mention that I have better graphics card. And several people including you have mentioned that machine can be purchased for less. Where? I have looked all over the internet and can not find a MBP with my specs for less. I am not willing to order it online and wait forever just to save a few dollars. The savings will have to be substantial. I have been enjoying the video card already.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Apple completely bends people over on RAM prices. There is no reason to charge that kind of money for going from 4 to 8GB. Take a look at newegg.com sometime. Plenty of very good, reliable RAM makers, 3rd party you pay about 10% of that.

That was 3rd party Ram:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...09A396A5CA7304

Apple charge $1,000 for the upgrade. In this case, 8GB is just really expensive because 4GB DIMMs are, but it's true Apple do overprice their Ram.

I would add though that they also use Hynix Ram, which is sometimes a bit faster. I bought 3rd party Ram and it is 5% slower than the Hynix Ram that came with it.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

That was 3rd party Ram:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...09A396A5CA7304

Apple charge $1,000 for the upgrade. In this case, 8GB is just really expensive because 4GB DIMMs are, but it's true Apple do overprice their Ram.

I would add though that they also use Hynix Ram, which is sometimes a bit faster. I bought 3rd party Ram and it is 5% slower than the Hynix Ram that came with it.

Yes that was 3rd party RAM. Does Apple not honor the warranty when third party RAM causes problems?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    DDR3 1066 isn't that huge an increase over ddr2 800 speedwise. The 667 listed below may be a bit more of a drop speedwise, I don't recall specific testing of that comparison. If your time is very valuable and its work related, spring for the extra speed. 2% speed diference on your web browsing won't be worth several hundred $$ tho.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226021 $700 DDRF3 1066MHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233083 $460 DDR2 667

Apple cost $1000 to go from 4 to 8GB

Desktop RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148277 $193 DDR2 800

Apple cost $1000 to go from 4 to 8GB
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Yes that was 3rd party RAM. Does Apple not honor the warranty when third party RAM causes problems?

Yes they do - because it is a user upgradeable part. I've upgraded my memory and the vendor I bought it off still support my hardware.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Well I hope down the road I don't regret it but I'm sticking with the my machine. Two things happened this weekend that made me glad that I had the Express slot.

I had to add a huge amount of files from several external hard drives. I used an Expresscard adapter for eSata and it was a breeze. It went by a gazillion times faster than USB or firewire. I also added recordings of live music band sessions from my digital recorder that uses an SD card. I used the adapter Apple store gave me. My one slot served 2 purposes in one day.

I think the graphics are much better on my machine than the new machines. I have been editing and watching movies.

I also removed the hard drive from my Apple TV this weekend to retrieve files that I had not backed up. It was extremely simple. It served as a reminder that I would not be able to do that so easily with the newer machines. My machine has a 320GB drive and I hope to replace it in future.

The only thing I wish is to bump up the RAM. On the other hand it is already maxed so I will not be spending any money on RAM.

My machine was manufactured in early 2009 probably in March. Therefore it's not old.

I think I came out on top. Thanks to everyone for your advice. If you see my machine substantially cheaper please let me know. I still have a few more days to take this one back!!!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

I think I came out on top. Thanks to everyone for your advice. If you see my machine substantially cheaper please let me know. I still have a few more days to take this one back!!!

You can get refurb versions of the laptops with ExpressCard a lot cheaper:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

That one is a little slower at 2.4GHz but you probably wouldn't notice the difference between them and is only $1349. You can upgrade the Ram to 4GB cheaply and you will still have ExpressCard.

One closer to yours would be this one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0...mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

Still $300 cheaper than the one you got - the only difference being the 250GB drive but it's a 7200rpm, which is better than a 5400rpm 320GB.

Refurbs are pretty much brand new, they just don't come in an original box and they have the full warranty with the options for AppleCare. Given that you've already started using it and seem to be happy with it, it's probably not worth the $300 saving having to go through a week's worth of exchanging, buying and reinstalling.