First iPhone 3GS jailbreaking tool available for download

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

What are you smoking ? You can unbrick your iPhone at ANY TIME by using DFU mode and restoring it with 3.0 firmware. And if you are actually DUMB enough to brick it and bring it to Apple in that state, i hope the Apple genius will tell you in your face the warranty is off.

Adi

ANYTHING that potentially voids the warranty on any device is a potential problem for both the user and Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's not illegal, but it is immoral in that you are lying, breaking contracts, etc.

I know no one really gives a sh*t nowadays about that stuff, but it would be nice once in a while if it was mentioned that this is a grey area in terms of right and wrong and not just approach the subject from a functional point of view.

For example, it's not illegal to kill insects. It's also not illegal to publish an article describing in great detail the plans for some kind of insect vivisection/torture device. But to not mention that this might be considered morally bankrupt at least in some circles, and then further to hide behind the fact that you are just publishing a functional description of a thing, is a bit of a cheat IMO.

I find it humorous how Americans are all so Christian, but morality seems to never be mentioned whereas an atheist like me has to bring it up all the time.

Your reply is pretty incoherent, but I understand the first line. How is it immoral to use what your paid for as you wish? Is it your property or Apple's. I didn't lie to Apple when I bought my hardware, I just didn't agree to their contract, which is not enforceable. Is Apple lying when they tell you that you are bound to an agreement when you're not?

By reading this posting you have agreed to give me all your money. So pay up! It's immoral not to!
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:

This kid is obviously a genius (IQ-wise), for being able to do what he does, but Jeez ... what a complete idiot he is at the same time.

He seems to have no idea at all about what he's doing, what the consequences are, what Apple is doing etc. It's the classic example of an intellectual giant who has absolutely no clue about the social side of things or life in general.

He's 19. He's not even allowed to legally drink yet, because 19 year olds are dumb and unable to control themselves socially.

Seriously though, there are teams of people working on exactly the same thing, and this kid knows what's up. It's the programming version of a bitch slap, and he's a lil' bit egotistical. Big deal. 'Grats, kid, I hope someone hires you for your potential.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    Quote:

It's not illegal, but it is immoral in that you are lying, breaking contracts, etc.

I know no one really gives a sh*t nowadays about that stuff, but it would be nice once in a while if it was mentioned that this is a grey area in terms of right and wrong and not just approach the subject from a functional point of view.

For example, it's not illegal to kill insects. It's also not illegal to publish an article describing in great detail the plans for some kind of insect vivisection/torture device. But to not mention that this might be considered morally bankrupt at least in some circles, and then further to hide behind the fact that you are just publishing a functional description of a thing, is a bit of a cheat IMO.

I find it humorous how Americans are all so Christian, but morality seems to never be mentioned whereas an atheist like me has to bring it up all the time.

Oh, please. OK, I'll bite. It's not wrong. Especially if one bought an iPhone second-hand. I'm curious how an atheist would suppose that an individual insect whose brain lacks a neocortex would perceive being tortured any more than my iPhone feels betrayed when it's unlocked and jailbroken.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    I wish these people would get together and produce a device to compete directly with the products they hack. Instead of parasites who pull apart other peoples efforts they could actually make something the way it 'should' be. Then the market can decide which is better.

Why is it they are so totally able to get past anything placed in their path and laugh at the idea they couldn't, and yet they are utterly unable to get together and produce something better from scratch?

Generally, I'd say:

If you think it should be free, make it and give it away.

If you think you could do better, please, have a go and I wish you luck.

If you want more choice, go make something with choices and leave the rest of us to ours.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post

I wish these people would get together and produce a device to compete directly with the products they hack. Instead of parasites who pull apart other peoples efforts they could actually make something the way it 'should' be. Then the market can decide which is better.

Why is it they are so totally able to get past anything placed in their path and laugh at the idea they couldn't, and yet they are utterly unable to get together and produce something better from scratch?

Generally, I'd say:

If you want more choice, go make something with choices and leave the rest of us to ours.

It takes a different skill-set and a different understanding of the effective marriage between the aesthetic and the functional.

For some reason I wouldn't trust these young hackers to make such a device at this point in their lives.

And the device you're asking them to make has already been made. The iPhone. We've reached the "ideal" for our times. Same way that the Mac is the "ideal" in its category for our times. Now all that remains is to improve on them or wait until a "killer" product comes along that approaches the whole paradigm of handheld-computer from an entirely different direction. Don't hold your breath for that one, though.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Oh, please. OK, I'll bite. It's not wrong. Especially if one bought an iPhone second-hand. I'm curious how an atheist would suppose that an individual insect whose brain lacks a neocortex would perceive being tortured any more than my iPhone feels betrayed when it's unlocked and jailbroken.

Ridiculous. Attack an insect and it'll react and attempt to survive rather more than your iPhone. We don't how this stuff works in humans, so the arbitrary decision that 'lower' life forms don't have it is just dumb even if you do know words like 'neocortex'.

It is immoral to torture anything.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Not a sentence.

If a tree falls does anyone care?
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It takes a different skill-set and a different understanding of the effective marriage between the aesthetic and the functional.

For some reason I wouldn't trust these young hackers to make such a device at this point in their lives.

And the device you're asking them to make has already been made. The iPhone. We've reached the "ideal" for our times. Same way that the Mac is the "ideal" in its category for our times. Now all that remains is to improve on them or wait until a "killer" product comes along that approaches the whole paradigm of handheld-computer from an entirely different direction. Don't hold your breath for that one, though.

I agree with all you say. I just think that being unable to do a thing should leave them with respect for those that can.

I also wouldn't trust these hackers to hack my device. They enable it to do one thing, who knows what else they enable it to do?
  • Reply 30 of 50
    grebogrebo Posts: 20member
    Why purplera1n? I would think chocol4t3ra1n is more 'of the times'.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    If you want to screw up your iPhone, go ahead and get on this bandwagon. Just remember that practically voids your warranty. And Apple can lock you out of iTunes anytime. Beware of these quacks.

Definitely, not for me.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    What is with these comments about Obama, 911, terrorists, insects, vivisections and atheists? It’s a fricken clever exploit!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Not For Me…

If you want to screw up your iPhone, go ahead and get on this bandwagon. Just remember that practically voids your warranty. And Apple can lock you out of iTunes anytime. Beware of these quacks.

Definitely, not for me.

Not for you, and that is fine, you aren’t required to do the jailbreak or even read about it, but there is a certain group of people that like to experiment and like to get features that aren’t sanctioned by Apple. These intrepid users are running background apps and other things that Apple isn’t (and shouldn’t) support support at that time.

It’s not wrong and Apple can’t do a damn thing to your iTunes. I’ve never heard of a phone actually bricking from being unlocked or jailbroken; you enter DFU and restore at worst.

This does void the warranty since it’s not officially supported, but if you do have a HW problem you merely have to restore to factory settings before getting repairs. This kid is amazing in his age, speed and dedication to this level of coding, and like the OSx86 project there is nothing immoral about hacking your own devices.

On top of that you refer to them as “quacks” because they have done a simple jailbreak? I am not sure you understand what was accomplished here.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Purplera1n.

Prince FTW.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Purplera1n installed freeze in about 15 secs on my 3GS. Now its downloading cydia and all seems to be well. time will tell.

Okay well cydia is installed and working! My advice so far would be not to interrupt the down load and dont let the phone go into sleep. It messed me up a couple times but now is working great.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

So... Appleinsider is now an official endorser of jailbreaking iPhones? This seems like an ad or a tribute, not an informational article. Not even a mention of any possible downsides, just "this guy is soooo cool and hip and awesome for jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones and talking trash!"

I'm not usually that critical of this site, but this seems pretty irresponsible. I guess this is just a propaganda site now, anyway. I do like the rumors, but its getting embarrassing to hang out at this site. \

Reporting and endorsing is two different things. Besides, it's no more illegal or unethical than modding your Jeep with a 3" lift. Aaron. let me guess, you were afraid to, um, "kiss" a girl before you got married.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    alecthekingalectheking Posts: 206member
    Winterboard isn't working on my 3GS. It crashes springboard and starts phone in Safe Mode. Trying to remove it now, hope they update it soon!
  • Reply 37 of 50
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    This guy thinks jailbreaking makes the iPhone less secure:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itune...S&NewsID=26489
  • Reply 38 of 50
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:

This kid is obviously a genius (IQ-wise), for being able to do what he does, but Jeez ... what a complete idiot he is at the same time.

He seems to have no idea at all about what he's doing, what the consequences are, what Apple is doing etc. It's the classic example of an intellectual giant who has absolutely no clue about the social side of things or life in general.

You're being silly.What consequences?
  • Reply 39 of 50
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post

Generally, I'd say:

Because it would take the creation of a new phone _and_ a new cellular network to change anything. And unless you're a multi-billionaire, or have a network of deep-pocketed investors worldwide, that isn't going to happen. Even if you do have a large group of people who are very good with hardware/software.

Just because you have the ability to create a fully unlocked phone doesn't mean you wouldn't have to get into bed with the cellular service providers in order to have someone to actually provide service for it. And right now the business model for cellular service providers is built upon ensuring long term contract lock-ins, exorbitant plan rates, and controls over what you can/can't do with your phone so they don't cannibalize their other cash cows (e.g. tethering). Investors in those service providers would pull their money out quickly if anything changed that status quo. Hence we're all locked in for the timebeing...

So right now, this is the best way to thwart the controls that the cellular industry have on things -- take an existing phone and hack it to be the device you really want: no contract lock-in/choice of service plan, usage of any applications, etc.

The biggest hypocrisy of this entire discussion is that I see people arguing on this board all the time against government regulation on corporations (EU or Obama anyone?) and preaching free-market capitalism. Yet when it comes to stories about people attempting to get that same type of freedom in their personal lives (often at the expense of profitability or market controls), then their argument suddenly reverses.

Why don't those people just come right out and say that they only support freedom when it's related to their own personal gain (i.e. the shares they hold and/or the companies they work for)?
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

government regulation on corporations

In some cases we need a helluva lot more of this.

Citizens don't trust their governement. Will they now trust the corporate sector??

Two sides of the same coin. At least our government officials are elected. Though it often seems hard to tell.