Police release surveillance videos of Apple Store shooting suspect

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Arlington County police are still looking for the armed suspect who shot and seriously wounded an Apple employee at the Apple Store Clarendon this past friday and have released a pair of surveillance videos to the public that could aid their search.



The first video shows a male suspect wearing a baseball cap and brandishing a gun enter the rear of the store around 10:13 a.m., where he's met by a female retail employee. He then leads the employee towards the store's stock room at gunpoint, out of the camera's view.



A second video shows the suspect flee out the same door less than two minutes later, still holding the handgun. As AppleInsider was among the first to report friday, the suspect at some point during those two minutes fired a single shot that caught the employee in the right shoulder.



According to the Washington Post, a store employee who heard the shot found the injured employee and made the initial 911 call, while a doctor who was nearby assisted the victim until medics arrived.



The 26-year old victim remained hospitalized over the weekend, where she was list in "serious but stable condition," according to the paper. Although she briefly spoke with investigators, she was reportedly under sedation and will likely be interviewed again.



There were reportedly about three dozen people in the Virginia-based Apple store at the time of the shooting. Police have described the suspect as an "African American male in his 20s or 30s, 5-foot-7 to 6 feet tall and with a medium build."











He may have had facial hair or been wearing a fake beard at the time of the botched robbery. He was last seen "wearing a light-colored, short-sleeve shirt, light-colored pants and a dark cap with lettering."
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 63
    boogabooga Posts: 1,073member
    That textual description could fit half the city...
  • Reply 2 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,223member
    The fact that it happened in an Apple Store is purely coincidental to this site. It's not Apple-related really, it's more a reflection on the failure of society. Our schools (worldwide) for one, only recognize and value highly a certain kind of intelligence, or aptitude. Several of the great artists or thought leaders this world has seen went relatively unnoticed at school. Any one of them could have had a much different life.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    It always makes me laugh when they post what clothes the person was wearing at the time when it is now 4 days later.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    All Apple Stores need color cameras like they have in banks. These are tough times and many people are desperate for survival.



    These videos are not good enough to aid the police. Let's get to something relevant. Robberies occur in many places around the country everyday.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Is the new iPhone 3GS that popular? Did they take anything? Be a great ending to the story (and stupidity) if they got caught with the new "locate me" feature on the iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post


    It always makes me laugh when they post what clothes the person was wearing at the time when it is now 4 days later.



    Why? Somebody might remember seeing an individual wearing those clothes near the crime scene on the day in question (4 days ago) and remember something else, eg a car the individual used.



    Or somebody might recognize the individual because they've got a neighbour who dressed like that 4 days ago.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I just watched the first video. This guy is not the brightest criminal. That employee could have easily taken his gun away - like taking candy from a baby.



    If you have never disarmed a criminal and then assaulted them with their own weapon (like punching them in the face with the barrel of their own gun and watching the teeth fly), trust me, there is nothing more satisfying in the world. And I'm sure that it is more life changing (for the better) than any stint in jail could ever be.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    mavfan1mavfan1 Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The fact that it happened in an Apple Store is purely coincidental to this site. It's not Apple-related really, it's more a reflection on the failure of society. Our schools (worldwide) for one, only recognize and value highly a certain kind of intelligence, or aptitude. Several of the great artists or thought leaders this world has seen went relatively unnoticed at school. Any one of them could have had a much different life.



    right, it's never the fault of the person who chose to pull the trigger, it's all our fault as a society that we didn't recognize this young gentleman was a poet and a scholar. \
  • Reply 9 of 63
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    Why? Somebody might remember seeing an individual wearing those clothes near the crime scene on the day in question (4 days ago) and remember something else, eg a car the individual used.



    Or somebody might recognize the individual because they've got a neighbour who dressed like that 4 days ago.





    Your spelling of "neighbour" tells me thatyou are not from the States, let alone Philadelphia where 15 people can witness a murder and none of them will claim they saw anything.



    A video or picture is how these people are caught - no one bothers to report to the police a person that they saw wearing those clothes (for many reasons) on the day in question.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post


    I just watched the first video. This guy is not the brightest criminal. That employee could have easily taken his gun away - like taking candy from a baby.



    If you have never disarmed a criminal and then assaulted them with their own weapon (like punching them in the face with the barrel of their own gun and watching the teeth fly), trust me, there is nothing more satisfying in the world. And I'm sure that it is more life changing (for the better) than any stint in jail could ever be.





    For the curious.

    http://www.kravmaga.com/
  • Reply 11 of 63
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post


    Your spelling of "neighbour" tells me thatyou are not from the States, let alone Philadelphia where 15 people can witness a murder and none of them will claim they saw anything.



    I presume you speak of fear of reprisals? Or why would they not come forward?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post


    A video or picture is how these people are caught - no one bothers to report to the police a person that they saw wearing those clothes (for many reasons) on the day in question.



    Sorry I do not understand.... "A video or picture is how these people are caught", ... when no one bothers to report they saw the person in the video or picture.

    so... how do videos or pictures help catch criminals?
  • Reply 12 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    an "African American male in his 20s or 30s, 5-foot-7 to 6 feet tall and with a medium build."



    Was he for sure an American? He apparently had African physical characteristics but might have been an illegal alien from many possible countries.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post


    It always makes me laugh when they post what clothes the person was wearing at the time when it is now 4 days later.



    It is given to perhaps trigger any memory of people who may have seen the person that day, either before or after the shooting.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Was he for sure an American? He apparently had African physical characteristics but might have been an illegal alien from many possible countries.



    He probably spoke to the employees at some point, and his accent identified him as likely being American.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Was he for sure an American? He apparently had African physical characteristics but might have been an illegal alien from many possible countries.



    This is very true, he could be from anywhere. could be a black man from austria or sweden. might be a poet or scholar on an academic visa, could be a black woman from canada dressed as an american man. could be an african-american pretending to be an african-ruandan or african-congolese. could be steve jobs' surgeon who didn't get paid for the liver transplant. the possibilities.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The fact that it happened in an Apple Store is purely coincidental to this site. It's not Apple-related really, it's more a reflection on the failure of society. Our schools (worldwide) for one, only recognize and value highly a certain kind of intelligence, or aptitude. Several of the great artists or thought leaders this world has seen went relatively unnoticed at school. Any one of them could have had a much different life.



    Your comment is even less Apple related. I seriously doubt this guy is a misunderstood genius.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    I presume you speak of fear of reprisals? Or why would they not come forward?







    Sorry I do not understand.... "A video or picture is how these people are caught", ... when no one bothers to report they saw the person in the video or picture.

    so... how do videos or pictures help catch criminals?





    Yes, fear of reprisal. I wasn't clear in my first post - so I apologize. I meant that people are not going to call the police to report that their neighbor is a black man in his 20's or 30's and has a beard and happened to be wearing a tan shirt on that given day (or whatever the description was) as that situation probably applied to hundreds of people on that day. However, the ability to see the shooter in a picture or video and then report it anonymously is far more likely. But, it still leaves the possibility of that person unwilling to testify.



    In Philadelphia, over 70% of murders are not solved, and it is VERY common that someone who agrees to testify is killed before they are able to. We hear about this almost every week on the news. In most murder cases, no eyewitnesses are called - it's all forensic and circumstancial evidence that gets the conviction.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post


    He probably spoke to the employees at some point, and his accent identified him as likely being American.



    Good to know the facts in the case, thanks. I just dislike the the term African-American unless of course it is being used by a person of African decent who is an American, which is rarely the case as they usually refer to themselves as black or American.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    This is very true, he could be from anywhere. could be a black man from austria or sweden. might be a poet or scholar on an academic visa, could be a black woman from canada dressed as an american man. could be an african-american pretending to be an african-ruandan or african-congolese. could be steve jobs' surgeon who didn't get paid for the liver transplant. the possibilities.



    I have never cared for the term African-American. Where else are we pairing a continent with a country like that. I?ve even heard it start for people that are neither. What if people know where they ancestors came from in a particular country in Africa? Does American refer to the USofA or to all the two continents known as North and South America? Should I be called be African-European-American because my gringo ass has a geneology that gets to the Americas from Africa via Europe over thousands of years? Heck, there might even be some Western Asian in the mix somewhere.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Note to self, invite Teckstud to Philly.
Sign In or Register to comment.