Future of MacBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the white plastic model now the sole carrier of the "MacBook" name (all the others are now MacBook Pros), I'm wondering what Apple's planning for the future of the MacBook (non-Pro) brand.

The MacBook has some weird specs that stand out like a sore thumb:

1) Firewire 400 (as opposed to 800 everywhere else in the Mac line).

2) Mini-DVI port (as apposed to Mini-Display Port everywhere else).

3) Non-multitouch trackpad (as opposed to the multitouch trackpad everywhere else).

4) (Last but not least) White plastic that smudges easily, especially on the trackpad.

I'm wondering if Apple is keeping this around because it needs a (relatively) dirt-cheap laptop that it can sell to its low-end customers until Apple manages to chop the costs of the unibody frame and the multitouch trackpad.

This would seem to be the most logical approach, because it seems weird that there's only one laptop to carry the "MacBook" name, while there's a wide range of different MacBook Pro models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    What will be even more bizarre is if they drop the Macbook leaving all Macbook Pros. Once everyone's pro, no one is.

I actually thought last time round they'd drop the white Macbook, lower the unibody price and call them all Macbooks. I think their move this time just adds confusion.

Their white Macbooks clearly have severe quality problems. In some ways I like the variety it gives to the notebooks but at the same time, it would surely make more sense that the Mac is known as a quality brand no matter what machine you buy.

$200 off the unibody price would make this happen even if it means using a dual 1.9GHz Celeron. It won't be that much slower than the next one up but it does mean stocking older Ram.

Next revision, I'd like to see an option to leave out the optical unit. If they offer the laptop without one for $200 less, it will encourage people to forego the use of the optical voluntarily.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    To me it appears they are making room in their line up for a new model of plain MacBook to replace the current white one.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

To me it appears they are making room in their line up for a new model of plain MacBook to replace the current white one.

Here's a couple of question to speculate on:

1) Can Apple afford to make a $999 unibody MacBook with a multi-touch trackpad that has lesser specs that the 13 inch MacBook Pros?

2) If not, can Apple afford to make a MacBook that has either *only* the unibody construction or the multi-touch trackpad?

I'm guessing that the answer to both these questions is currently no, but that in a few months it'll be yes.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I bet you will see an aluminum MacBook replace the current white MacBook, possibly still without FW. MacBooks are still great for schools and general everyday consumers who wouldn't care about the loss the FW on a laptop. It would be great if they could sell this for around $899, but I believe thats just wishful thinking. Perhaps thats what they're trying to do? Create a lower cost laptop?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Exactly. The future of MacBook will be lower cost. Right now, $200 gap between MacBook and entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro is largely symbolic. I suspect Apple will find ways to drive down MacBook's price more aggressively in the coming months.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I bet you will see an aluminum MacBook replace the current white MacBook, possibly still without FW. MacBooks are still great for schools and general everyday consumers who wouldn't care about the loss the FW on a laptop. It would be great if they could sell this for around $899, but I believe thats just wishful thinking. Perhaps thats what they're trying to do? Create a lower cost laptop?

it seems pretty obvious to me that they're setting up the new tablet to be called the macbook. it will fit in perfectly between the iphone and the macbook pro. they'll probably keep the "MacBook White" but lower the specs (along with the price) to give incentive to just go for the pro. they'll probably get rid of the optical drive and make it thinner too.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is my take on the subject as there has to be a huge difference in the cost of the cases. The shell for a plastic Mac Book likely cost no more than a few dollars to make. On the other hand a CNCed "PRO" case has to cost tens of dollars each even if made in China.

In otherwords Apple needs plastic for the low end machine. Beyond that there are a number of things they can do to reduce costs or to separate it from the Pro line up. The screen being one of the obvious places to cut cost but dropping the CD drive is another. Keeping the machine Core 2 is another. What they can't do though is to ignore modern ports so I expect FW800 and maybe even USB3 in short order.

I actually would not be surprised to see more models added to the Mac Book lineup. I really don't see it as a dying line but rather is something that Apple has yet to flesh out. Frankly if they can find a way to keep AIR around the Mac Book family ought to be easy to justify. The future is solid and I suspect expanding.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Also, this rumor keeps cropping up. If true, it would be a good fit for the MacBook nomenclature. The current wireless keyboard would make a nice compliment for desk usage. It would just have to come with some vertical stand.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Also, this rumor keeps cropping up. If true, it would be a good fit for the MacBook nomenclature. The current wireless keyboard would make a nice compliment for desk usage. It would just have to come with some vertical stand.

Interesting to say the least. The size does bother me though, it just seems to large unless the aspect ration is different then what we are expecting. Mainly the problem is that a tablet that is to squarish and large ends up being hard to use handheld. If the screen is wider than expected though it might prove to be very useful handheld.

As for uses for such a tablet I can see lots of them. The problem is I can't see this being successful at all if it is expected to run the current Mac OS/X. That is why I'd be very surprised to see this as a member of the Mac Book line up. Plus it doesn't make sense from the hardware stanpoint as why would Apple want to put i86 in such a device? If it is part of the Mac Book line it would seem that i86 would be required.

It is not that I don't see a future where a smaller Mac Book could not exist, it's just that I see it as being a traditional clam shell offering similar laptop features. A tablet by definition has different design goals and a far lesser need for ports and stuff.

In any event another hour down the drain to see what is known about this device.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Interesting to say the least. The size does bother me though, it just seems to large unless the aspect ration is different then what we are expecting. Mainly the problem is that a tablet that is to squarish and large ends up being hard to use handheld. If the screen is wider than expected though it might prove to be very useful handheld.

As for uses for such a tablet I can see lots of them. The problem is I can't see this being successful at all if it is expected to run the current Mac OS/X. That is why I'd be very surprised to see this as a member of the Mac Book line up. Plus it doesn't make sense from the hardware stanpoint as why would Apple want to put i86 in such a device? If it is part of the Mac Book line it would seem that i86 would be required.

It is not that I don't see a future where a smaller Mac Book could not exist, it's just that I see it as being a traditional clam shell offering similar laptop features. A tablet by definition has different design goals and a far lesser need for ports and stuff.

In any event another hour down the drain to see what is known about this device.

Dave

So you think the Atom+Ion combo would not be a good fit for this? That's the first thing that came to mind when I envisioned it.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

So you think the Atom+Ion combo would not be a good fit for this? That's the first thing that came to mind when I envisioned it.

Maybe the coming Atom upgrade with the integrated GPU. I just imagine a very thin tablet that runs a long time on battery power. The bigger problem is the momentum Apple has with respect to iPhone OS. This is a big issue in my mind and a platform compatible with app store has a huge head start with respect to useful apps.

So you have the compatibility issue and then the reality that Apple could put several ARM processors on a SoC and still not hit Atom power levels. I just see Atom as a hard sell for what I want out of a tablet. Of course that is not what everybody else wants, but I don't see a long term future for a Mac OS based device that weigh pounds instead of onces.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 26
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    So maybe if Apple does this $800 tablet thing they will redo their entire portable lineup. $800 gets you the iTablet (or whatever they call it), starting at $1300 you can get the new MacBook (the current dual core laptops) and starting at $2000 you can get your hands on the new MacBook Pro quad core laptops. It would be a bit weird to have Apple rename all the Pros to just Macbooks, but if the new distinction became dual or quad core, I could see them doing it.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Desktop will shrink to cube size..

The mini will still exist.

MBP will still exist in 13 15 17 and maybe even 21 " models but all will be exactly LIKE the MBA

MBP 13 will replace the white MB plastic .

And apple will give us memory. HD and processor options for all its line up like it does now .

So Apple will have a simple small line Up that is expandable to fit our needs.

desktop cube

mini

MBA13>15>17>21

MBP 13"

Tablet like Ipod-touch 3 sizes current and 2 larger.

APPLE TV WILL be dropped and the mini will replace it.

Iphone

Apple will come out with 300 dollar children tablet that is child proof.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Looks to me like the Macbook line's being set-up for a complete overhaul to smaller, Netbook/Touch devices.

Full size laptops will be for the pro-market.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I think the Macbook will retain its white plastic body. It will get mini-displayport and may even lose the Firewire port altogether.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Would Apple shift the MacBook away from plastic? Make it thinner? Switch up the ports on the side? Hmmmm

hard to say...
  • Reply 17 of 26
    I could see Apple using Mac Book to try out new ideas for Laptop configuration. For example an optical free unit or a machine with built in WiMax or other wide area networking. Apple could effectively lower the price of Mac Book to be more competitive yet at the same time innovate.

Well they could but the unibodies might allow for quicker innovation considering the CNCed nature of the body.

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 26
    " The MacBook has some weird specs that stand out like a sore thumb:

1) Firewire 400 (as opposed to 800 everywhere else in the Mac line).

2) Mini-DVI port (as apposed to Mini-Display Port everywhere else).

3) Non-multitouch trackpad (as opposed to the multitouch trackpad everywhere else).

4) (Last but not least) White plastic that smudges easily, especially on the trackpad. ..."

Yeap ... potential negatives for marketing MacBook.

I like the White = distinctive and makes me keep it clean.

1) Apple probably just has not gotten around to upgrading to FW 800 ... But there should also be something like this adapter in the Apple parts/accessories catalog ... too many good 6-pin cables out there to throw away.

2) Upgrade potential for sure. Maybe in the Fall? Display Port is taking a bit to catch on, but it is a perfectly valid, laptop engineer friendly space saver. There are all manner of passive and active adapters for DVI, HDMI, VGA, etc. in the Apple catalogues ...

3) Touch pad? I suppose some use it. I carry a mini optical mouse in my bag. I just can't get used to the touch pad as primary controller. Upgrading this should be a piece of cake in any case. Of interest: "New trackpad on Apple laptops accidentally leaked by Apple?" thread here.

4) Keeping the white case should continue to maintain the "brand" ...

Maybe by Fall. I do have to make a trade, but if the FireWire port goes away altogether, I may switch to a "pro". Can I get a "pro" in white?

=====

" ... APPLE TV WILL be dropped and the mini will replace it. ..."

Of course. The Mini should have been the media server all along ... I have four Minis and my oldest is at home as the front end for my flat screen. Still needing a decent FireWire DAC for the multi-$$Thousand dollar sound equipment. Or maybe a DVI/display port splitter to break out the 24bit / 96k audio?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FastEddy View Post

3) Touch pad? I suppose some use it. I carry a mini optical mouse in my bag. I just can't get used to the touch pad as primary controller. Upgrading this should be a piece of cake in any case. Of interest: "New trackpad on Apple laptops accidentally leaked by Apple?" thread here.

Speak for yourself. First of all, on any non-Apple laptop, I absolutely never use the trackpad and always switch directly to the mouse. Having said that, I absolutely *love* the multi-touch trackpad on the MacBook Pro, and prefer it by orders of magnitude to any mouse. That speaks volumes of the engineering that went into the trackpad and the software that uses it. It allows me to:

1) Instantly Home/End in Firefox.

2) Zoom in and zoom out.

3) Much more room to scroll without buttons to get in my way.

4) Exposé with one swipe.

5) Back/Forward in browser.

6) Right-click with two fingers.

7) etc...

It's absolutely brilliant, and I think that Apple is planning to release an external trackpad to replace the Mighty Mouse.

Oh yeah, and that leaked trackpad is the existing trackpad on the MacBook Air. The reason there's a separate button is that it's too thin for the one button trackpad on the MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    I think that there are two places for the MacBook to go:

1) the dumpster, after the "tablet" comes out

2) After next "major change" in the MBP, they will get things like OLED displays, SSDs, thinner, faster, ect.. After that, the features like LED backlit displays, larger HDDs(or smaller SSDs), slightly thinner, last gen stuff. Essentially a lat gen MBP in white plastic. Just my hunch of what will happen. I would also like to see a 15" MacBook. You know, for all those OSX lovers who need 15" of real estate, but can't shell out 1700?

What do you guys think? Just what I expect/want

SG

EDIT: Oh, and FW 3200 for MBPs, and FW 1600 for MB. And USB3 for all! yay!