Third-gen iPod touch tracked in online logs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Beyond a camera I wonder if the new iPod Touch will integrate the compass and GPS as well. GPS is lessly likely since it isn't as important an interface element, but if compass is supposed to be a new input method to assist the accelerometer than it should be in the iPod Touch too.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I'm thinking the September announcement will look something like this:

iPod wide -- the long-rumored 7-inch tablet; looks like a touch but bigger; marketed as internet device/video player/book reader ($599/$499)

iPod touch -- video camera on the top two models ($399/$299/$199)

iPod nano -- one model, 16 GB ($149)

iPod shuffle -- colors ($49)

No more iPod classic.

Abandon the entire hard disk market?!??!!

Never!!! *

* Or until flash can be had at +128GB for cheap.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    juanm105juanm105 Posts: 49member
    Last year at this time, Apple had a similar promotion as this year "* f you?re a college student or a faculty or staff member at any grade level and you buy a new Mac through September 8, you can get a free iPod touch.*

note the asterisk, the explanation is

"*Buy a qualifying Mac and iPod with your Apple education discount from May 27, 2009, through September 8, 2009, and receive an online rebate up to $229, except where otherwise required by state law."

Last year, when I bought my son a 17-inch MacBook he got an iPod Touch 8Gb for free, however, you couldn't apply a rebate to a higher priced model. I wanted to get him the 16Gb iPod Touch and told the Apple store I would pay the $100 difference or whatever it was so he had the 16Gb model. They wouldn't do it. The deal was only for the lower end model.

This year it appears to be on any iPod touch and the "free" iPod is a rebate process. Nothing wrong with that AND you can apply the $229 to any iPod Touch (or at least the rules don't note a restriction.

So, to me this is a classic "clear the warehouse out of all iPod Touches to make way for the new models" - that's what this promotion is all about.

The present promotion ends in early September so figure that on September 15 or 22, Apple will have an annoucement with immediate availability on some models and other fancier models available on or about October 15.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    I don't believe the iPod Classic is going anywhere, persay, not with SSD iPods still lingering around the 32GB size (although that may shoot up to 64GB this fall); the need for high capacity HDD iPod devices is still there. So, HDD is a given, but the form factor is not. By all accounts, the Classic's click wheel, small screen, and lack of an OS make it horribly outdated in the iPod family, making the iPod Classic the ugly ducking. Perhaps Apple will re-incarnate it as a larger device, with a 5"-7" touch screen. HDDs necessitate larger/thicker devices anyway, so IMO the Classic would be perfect to overhaul. Of course, the new device would cease to be the "Classic," but it would nevertheless fulfill the need for a more modern high capacity HDD based device in the iPod family.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    fulldecentfulldecent Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afalkner View Post

Anone else think they might drop the pod from the name and just go with itouch? Then make it availible in 2 sizes-the current size and a larger 7 inch model?

This is an interesting analysis. I know many people who already refer to this product as the iTouch.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I can't help but recall somebody at Apple saying that the iPod Touch devices would go in a different direction than the iPhone. This makes very good sense considering the markets are different. So I see this coming 3.xx device as being a major departure from the current form factor devices.

This doesn't mean the current Touch disappears, it will be updated, just that a big brother is coming. It is a given anyway that the current Touch gets an upgrade as verification of such an upgrade is in the logs. This is likely to be a modest speed upgrade with the GPS and Compass.

3.1 I expect will be a feature rich and larger device. I suspect many will be surprised. Not by it's size mind you, which will still go in a large pocket, but by the functionality and capability crammed into the device. It might realistically have 1GB of RAM and a 128GB of storage. This will be a major device release.

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I would like VOIP, call any phone number from any open WiFi hotspot.

All native and integrated nicely, a iPhone minus the $70-$120 a month AT&T %*#$!!!

there's an app for that

i use callglobal app (very clear to call japan and finland, cheap 45 min to japan land line for $2.13)

i also have truphone which will work only its more expensive there are others do a voip search in the app store, but there is no review site to give the customers perspective and compare contrast those available, i just kept trying some and used others suggestions then discovered callglobal and very happy with it pennytel works for some but for me took too long to set up there is a thread on voip

as for MS innovation

lets see ....marketing... IE given away free, bundling MS office to slow moving enterprise, exchange, they won early wars battles by integration at the enterprise level...MS out gunned apple while apple was asleep at the wheel, now its apples and others turn as the environment has changed through the empowerment of the internet and broadband, apple is doing the opposite innovation from the consumer faster moving target then pulled kicking and screaming into the enterprise..
  • Reply 28 of 34
    There's no camera in the touch because the touch is thinner than the phone.

I don't think the new camera is any smaller than the last. It would be a smart move to add one, but unless they're bulking up the 3G touch with a larger battery, I don't see it happening. (I don't know if switching to an OLED screen would free up enough space.)

The Classic should be dropped and replaced with an iPod Touch-based HDD iPod. And, now that i think about it, putting a HDD inside a touch would give them plenty of depth to add the camera.

And a 7" touch makes no sense. It's larger to the point that it's no longer pocketable, but still too small to do anything other than show slightly-higher-quality movies. If the device can't fit in your pocket, there's no reason -not- to go to a 10" screen and make it a distinct computing platform.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

This is an interesting analysis. I know many people who already refer to this product as the iTouch.

Nah, they won't get rid of it even if that's what people call it - it's all iPod. They wouldn't want to change the name to something not as easily recognizable (marketing wise). If someone sees iTouch and they don't know Apple changed the name they might not think about it - Apple has spent a long time building up the mind-share of "iPod" - no way they'd drop it just because some people call it the iTouch (personally I just call it the "Touch" as iTouch just sounds too hokey for me).

Also - I went to the National Botanical Gardens last weekend and took some d@mn awesome close up pics with my 3Gs - seriously look just as good as a stand alone camera (not a DSLR or anything but you know what I mean...)
  • Reply 30 of 34
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamisen.sc View Post

ipod classic still has a market... even if they up the ipod touch to 64 GB which they probably will do, high capacity still needs to be a viable option in the ipod lineup. yes, higher than 64 GB.

I agree. I own both a Touch and a Classic, and the Classic is the one I use all the time. The advantages of having my entire iTunes library with me all the time cannot be overstated. It's not just capacity either, I would not want an iPod that did not have physical controls. The touch screens, for me, are little more than an annoyance.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

There's no camera in the touch because the touch is thinner than the phone.

Maybe not in Touch 2,2 as that is likely to morph into the low cost model Touch. In Touch 3,1 though I see a whole set of possibilities. In any event this highlights where I see the current Touch going, it will become the lower end iPod and fill that role profitably for Apple by using high integration SoC technology.

Quote:

I don't think the new camera is any smaller than the last. It would be a smart move to add one, but unless they're bulking up the 3G touch with a larger battery, I don't see it happening. (I don't know if switching to an OLED screen would free up enough space.)

The Classic should be dropped and replaced with an iPod Touch-based HDD iPod. And, now that i think about it, putting a HDD inside a touch would give them plenty of depth to add the camera.

I think Classic will morph into a hybrid design for at least a couple of generations. This mainly due to the professional appeal in the Classic and the need for the click wheel in that market. In any event you are right about the HDD module as that gives Apple the option to go solid state in a more expensive unit.

Quote:

And a 7" touch makes no sense. It's larger to the point that it's no longer pocketable, but still too small to do anything other than show slightly-higher-quality movies. If the device can't fit in your pocket, there's no reason -not- to go to a 10" screen and make it a distinct computing platform.

I reject the above because a 7" device would be very pocketable. Plus it would be possible to do 720P easily in such a device. That with a vast increase in movie playback quality. Going to a ten inch class screen means loosing all portability. Further the web sour rock on a 7 in screen in portable usage.

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I would like VOIP, call any phone number from any open WiFi hotspot.

All native and integrated nicely, a iPhone minus the $70-$120 a month AT&T %*#$!!!

When I upgraded to the 3GS, I put Skype on my first gen iPhone. It has replaced my landline at home. I just keep my old iPhone in airplane mode and turn the WiFi on. It works great as a WiFi phone for home. I pay only $30 a year for unlimited calls to anywhere in the US and Canada. You can also get a real phone # that others can call you at for another $30 a yr.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe not in Touch 2,2 as that is likely to morph into the low cost model Touch. In Touch 3,1 though I see a whole set of possibilities. In any event this highlights where I see the current Touch going, it will become the lower end iPod and fill that role profitably for Apple by using high integration SoC technology.

I think Classic will morph into a hybrid design for at least a couple of generations. This mainly due to the professional appeal in the Classic and the need for the click wheel in that market. In any event you are right about the HDD module as that gives Apple the option to go solid state in a more expensive unit.

I reject the above because a 7" device would be very pocketable. Plus it would be possible to do 720P easily in such a device. That with a vast increase in movie playback quality. Going to a ten inch class screen means loosing all portability. Further the web sour rock on a 7 in screen in portable usage.

Dave

The 120 g classic is called classic for a reason. It will remain in the lineup .Its a beautiful machine, I am about to buy an 160 g refub soon .

• Reply 34 of 34
    m2002brianm2002brian Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

They won't do a touch interface with an HDD. Various reason, mainly battery life and durability. Considering some programs actually want you to shake your iPod. Also, I read somewhere, long ago, that the interface would have too much lag using an HDD unless you want to spin it constantly. Which would result in poor battery life.

It maybe be hard for some to swollow (so keep your old one, it's that easy) but I'm going to guess Apple will drop the classic B4 there is a storage comparable touch.