Just Me or Do You Think OS X 10.3 Will Be Huuuuge!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
And I don't mean huge as in disk space huge...I mean huge update.

Apple's been moving lots of things to Cocoa lately. Another thread in this forum was talking about QT possibly being Cocoaized for 10.3. If this happened...we'd definitely see a Cocoa QT and maybe a Cocoa Finder. And why not? A lot of things can happen in a year at the pace Apple is going. They certainly haven't been sitting on their hands. And now that the OS as a whole is complete, Apple can really start concentrating on little details.

Chances are we'll see a new database file system and hopfully a rewritten Finder (one that doesn't suck...and one that makes really good use of the database file system). I'm sure all the current apps shipped in 10.2 will get a fairly major update and the OS itself will get more speed optimizations.

By the time 10.3 comes out, we'll probably have the new iTunes and possibly iWorks. Or Apple might wait and ship these apps with 10.3 making 10.3 a must-have update almost instantly.

Could you imagine? 10.3 for $129:

iWorks (word processor, spreadsheet, Keynote, database)

iLife (iTunes 4, iMovie 3, iDVD 3, iPhoto 2)

Safari, iChat, Sherlock

Mail, Address Book, iCal, iSync

QT7

DVD Player 4

Just this suite of app would be worth getting 10.3. But somehow I think 10.3 will go beyond the addition of apps and the update of apps.

Like I said...a database file system...a file recovery program...a vastly improved Finder (come on, this is overdue...you know they've been working on some top secret rewrite of the Finder in the last 2 years). Good ol' BeOS' Dominic wasn't hired for just a journaling filesystem...there's more to this I'm sure.

This year will be frickin' amazin'. 10.3. Major updates to apps. New iWorks. And the 970s.

I apologize if this thread could have been merged with another...but I feel like this thread should stand alone from the other 10.3 threads.

[ 03-17-2003: Message edited by: kim kap sol ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I will rather get a new machine with 10.3 preinstalled
  • Reply 2 of 63
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    <blockquote>Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>I will rather get a new machine with 10.3 preinstalled </strong><hr></blockquote>

You are not alone
  • Reply 3 of 63
    anyone have the system requirements for 10.3 as of yet?
  • Reply 4 of 63
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

PPC 970. :P
  • Reply 5 of 63
    lol so my G3 600 wont kick it?
  • Reply 6 of 63
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    God I just want a new Finder. Please.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's just you.

• Reply 8 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

God I just want a new Finder. Please.

What exactly do you want to see in this "new Finder"? And what is this directory file system or whatever that the guy who started this column wants to see in 10.3?
  • Reply 9 of 63
    (muhaha.... gotta love that damn knight rider theme. )

a properly threaded finder that doesn´t completely hang when looking for unavailable network devices would do fine already.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    It's gonna be huge, I hope.

I think it has to be. With the Quartz advantage and an updated range of software and not to mention the iWorks et al software blitz Fred Anderson is hinting at...then Apple need to keep piling on the pressure on M$.

The only way Apple is going to get growth is if they offer software, OS and hardware offerings that are cleary superior to Windows in everyway.

Classic Mac advantages of ease of use, elegance and the new digital hub mantra need to be pressed home. With OS 'X', many things should be possible.

And Kim's list is a worthy place to start for 10.3. I'm expecting a tidal wave of features to make Jag' look like a domestic cat...

Go Panther...

Lemon Bon Bon :cool:
  • Reply 11 of 63
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Well... Along with what others have already requested... one other thing that I'd love to see in 10.3 is a really good 'switch user' feature.

As far as a re-written (cocoa) finder... I'm not sure where I read it (arstechnica maybe?) or if its even true but I **THINK** the finder has to stay carbon for classic to work. I've highlighted **THINK** since I don't want other people spreading this as a TRUTH when I'm not sure if it is (like I said, it was just something I read) but it seems possible.

Ugh... I just can't wait for more people to go 'classic free'... I've not had a Mac OS 9 System Folder for quite some time now and it feels SO good!

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 63
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

I would assume it will run on the came computers that can run Mac OS 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2, but it's probably best to wait until after WWDC to get real answers.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Pfhor

What exactly do you want to see in this "new Finder"? And what is this directory file system or whatever that the guy who started this column wants to see in 10.3?

How about decent multithreading? Sheesh, the Finder is like the only app the hangs my system for any time. Try copying (or even just moving) a lot of files from one folder to another. Painful.

People think OS X is slower than OS 9 because they interact with the Finder so much. Perception is important for convincing more people to switch to OS X.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

I will rather get a new machine with 10.3 preinstalled

Same here. I'm looking forward to buying a nice new Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook 1Ghz with 1GB RAM, DVI-out, and Mac OS X 10.3 Panther preinstalled.

Oh, and Panther is definitely going to be huge. Only caveat: I don't think we'll get iWorks included for free. Remember, they charge $100 just for Keynote.

Escher
  • Reply 15 of 63
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

As far as a re-written (cocoa) finder... I'm not sure where I read it (arstechnica maybe?) or if its even true but I **THINK** the finder has to stay carbon for classic to work. I've highlighted **THINK** since I don't want other people spreading this as a TRUTH when I'm not sure if it is (like I said, it was just something I read) but it seems possible.

Dave

Thats my thought too, how can you expect classic to utilize the finder from X if it's a cocoa only app that classic can't use....

My feeling is that Apple will finally kill off OS 9 with it.

I think it's fair, if Quark is out for X by then pretty much everything has been ported (I know some people will have stuff that still hasn't made it over or never will, and I do sympathise).

We're at a stage where Macs no longer boot into 9 it's a logical step to kill off classic. Hopefully losing all that code neccesary to keep up classic as a viable option might make things zip a bit quicker in X....
  • Reply 16 of 63
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    feature list: (aka wish list)

-Databased, self optimizing File System.

-Copy, Move, Download, FTP, WebDAV Transfers using one common Finder window to manage data traffic.

-Cocoa Finder

-Some sort of awesome meta-data system to replace Labels ( and all the bitching that that brought)

-KHTML/Safari html renderer boosting help, sherlock and other web enabled services.

-iChat enhanced with Video Conf.

-Bluetooth enhancements and 3G tie-ins

-Rendezvous based services making a bigger appearance.

-More file systems supported by the OS: NTFS, Ext2 etc...

-A way of starting up at a set time

-Multiple customisable Docks

-ummmmmm.....
  • Reply 17 of 63
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    All I'll say is that it had better be something pretty phenomenal to meet expectations, but I don't hold out any hope for it being a mega features jump...more of a major tuneup. I hope that I'm really wrong.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I've read that some people are having trouble deleting apps. I hope 10.3 comes with an un-install feature.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I hope 10.3 comes with an un-install feature.

Ick! No!

If someone has trouble removing an app, it is the fault of the developer for not properly wrapping up the app in a single package. That's the way Mac OS X apps are supposed to be made. App installs should be as simple as drag-and-drop to the Applications folder and drag-and-drop to the Trash. There is absolutely no reason that most apps should need either an installer or uninstaller.

The only things that would possibly need an uninstaller are device drivers or kernel extensions that install into /System. Those are so rare that they would not warrant needing to offer the possible unnecessary confusion that having an uninstaller would entail.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Is NTFS a database-based file system?