Just Me or Do You Think OS X 10.3 Will Be Huuuuge!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Ick! No!

If someone has trouble removing an app, it is the fault of the developer for not properly wrapping up the app in a single package. That's the way Mac OS X apps are supposed to be made. App installs should be as simple as drag-and-drop to the Applications folder and drag-and-drop to the Trash. There is absolutely no reason that most apps should need either an installer or uninstaller.

The only things that would possibly need an uninstaller are device drivers or kernel extensions that install into /System. Those are so rare that they would not warrant needing to offer the possible unnecessary confusion that having an uninstaller would entail.

I didn't realize the problem was the fault of developers. As such, I take back my wish for an un-installer feature in 10.3.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    There might even be a new UI in Panther. Looprumors is reporting that Apple is creating a Metal Theme for 10.3. I don't mind the metal theme, but Apple is going a little too far if they make a whole UI on it. I guess it just depends on what it looks like. If they tone it down the metal look a little, may be it would not be that bad. If they do come out with a metal UI, I sure hope that Aqua is an option to have as th UI as well. Maybe they are going to go into themes with 10.3. That sure would be interesting.

Plus, I think that if the 970 comes out this Fall for the Mac, all our speed complainers will be gone saying that OS X is too slow.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    But what about browsers that store cache, bookmarks, preferences, passwords, and lots of other stuff in your Library folder? Those generally involve a single drag-and-drop copy from a .dmg to install, but they create application support files out of necessity. That's not the fault of the developers.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

There might even be a new UI in Panther. Looprumors is reporting that Apple is creating a Metal Theme for 10.3. I don't mind the metal theme, but Apple is going a little too far if they make a whole UI on it. I guess it just depends on what it looks like. If they tone it down the metal look a little, may be it would not be that bad. If they do come out with a metal UI, I sure hope that Aqua is an option to have as th UI as well. Maybe they are going to go into themes with 10.3. That sure would be interesting.

Plus, I think that if the 970 comes out this Fall for the Mac, all our speed complainers will be gone saying that OS X is too slow.

It would be nice to be able to select from several different themes, for example the original design, original design minus lines, and then the brushed metal etc etc.*

*It would be nice thats all! I am not fussed either way!
  • Reply 25 of 63
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

It would be nice to be able to select from several different themes, for example the original design, original design minus lines, and then the brushed metal etc etc.*

*It would be nice thats all! I am not fussed either way!

Me either really.

Good signature, man! I totally agree! oops off-topic!
  • Reply 26 of 63
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

That would only work if all of Apple's lineup used the 970. What about the rest of the G4 and G3 using folks. Too Microsoft to throw hardware at a software problem.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I think my PowerBook runs X just fine -- I'm no 3D-crunching/10-apps-at-a-time speed-o-phile, but it seems very quick about itself compared to my old Pismo running Jag.

Then again, instant performance wouldn't be a bad thing ...
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

I think my PowerBook runs X just fine -- I'm no 3D-crunching/10-apps-at-a-time speed-o-phile, but it seems very quick about itself compared to my old Pismo running Jag.

Then again, instant performance wouldn't be a bad thing ...

I have the same computer... I can't tell you enough how awesome it runs Jag.... beautiful... Hell, even my iMac runs Jag pretty well... not like my PowerBook though...
  • Reply 29 of 63
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Is NTFS a database-based file system?

No, but it has some nice metadata support. It's a lot like HFS in that it allows multiple streams (HFS has 2, data and resource). But unlike HFS it's not limited to 2 streams. So, in other words, it's similar in some ways to a DB filesystem, but it's not.

Oh, and MS is working on making a real DB filesystem based off of MS SQL Server that will be in Longhorn (Windows 2005). Apple had better show them up.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, that gives Apple until 2008 to beat them to the punch, and 2010 to beat them to getting it right...
  • Reply 31 of 63
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I didn't realize the problem was the fault of developers. As such, I take back my wish for an un-installer feature in 10.3.

I think it would be a good idea (might even have something like this but I haven't noticed) that opening a software receipt will open the Installer app and then uninstall support files as well as the app itself.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It does.*

IF the developer has set the Installer package up in the first place to do so. The pieces are there, go gripe at the developers for not using them.

* Not automatically - it activates an Uninstall menu item.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I don't know about you guys- but I am most looking forward to Pixar coming out with a new black Panther cat hair texture.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    sorry, double post
  • Reply 35 of 63
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Well... Along with what others have already requested... one other thing that I'd love to see in 10.3 is a really good 'switch user' feature.

As far as a re-written (cocoa) finder... I'm not sure where I read it (arstechnica maybe?) or if its even true but I **THINK** the finder has to stay carbon for classic to work. I've highlighted **THINK** since I don't want other people spreading this as a TRUTH when I'm not sure if it is (like I said, it was just something I read) but it seems possible.

Baloney.

1. IPC between Cocoa and Classic applications works fine. For an example, try dragging and dropping text between Safari and SimpleText in Classic. Works fine. So does copy and paste, AppleScript, etc. Cocoa and Classic apps can talk to each other.

2. The Mac OS X Finder doesn't need to run in the Classic environment, so it doesn't make an ounce of difference whether it can or not.

3. Even if it did matter, the Mac OS X Finder is a Mach-O binary anyway, which is just as incompatible with Classic as Cocoa is.

The reason that the Finder hasn't been rewritten in Cocoa is that Apple doesn't want to rewrite the Finder. Plain and simple.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    iLife will be sold, as it is now, seperatly. iWorks will be comprised of Keynote and all the other apps, and will be sold seperatly (Keynote already costs $99). Except for "Document" which will be bundled on all new Macs, or maybe in the OS.

iWorks (word processor, spreadsheet, Keynote, database) Naw

iLife (iTunes 4, iMovie 3, iDVD 3, iPhoto 2) Naw

Safari, iChat, Sherlock

Mail, Address Book, iCal, iSync

QT7 QT 6.5

DVD Player 4 Yeah, so?

-Databased, self optimizing File System. Hopefully

-Copy, Move, Download, FTP, WebDAV Transfers using one common Finder window to manage data traffic. Do they not already?

-Cocoa Finder Let's hope

-KHTML/Safari html renderer boosting help, sherlock and other web enabled services. Yeah

-iChat enhanced with Video Conf. Yeah

-Bluetooth enhancements and 3G tie-ins Maybe....

-Rendezvous based services making a bigger appearance. Y eah

-More file systems supported by the OS: NTFS, Ext2 etc... Yeah, so?

-A way of starting up at a set time Maybe.....

-Multiple customisable Docks Probably not

"That is all"
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

I don't know about you guys- but I am most looking forward to Pixar coming out with a new black Panther cat hair texture.

As am I. About the Finder and Classic Compatability thing, I have heard that as well and I am not so shure it is pure bologna. I hope we don't have system wide brushed metal as I thing it would get old and annoying fast

I am looking forward to it all, yes, i want that Pixar Panther X
  • Reply 38 of 63
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I think a cocoa finder is a little over hyped. Carbon is a fine API (pain to program in compared to cocoa though) and it gets the job done just as well as cocoa would (if not faster, since cocoa is a higher level API). I'm not sure what benefits we would see with a cocoa finder.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Maybe DVD player 4.0 with support 5.1

Apple's new 970 powermacs with have dolby digital out- that would take care of a big problem right now.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Apple's new 970 powermacs with have dolby digital out- that would take care of a big problem right now.

How CONFIRMED is this?