Apple launches HTTP Live Streaming standard in iPhone 3.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jef View Post

Streaming of Apple events has worked already since the iPhone 0S 1.0.

For example the keynote:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...rnal=ijalrmacu

Any idea how this works? Because this is already live streaming to your iPhone.

You were unable to stream Apple keynotes before OS3.0. When you tried to launch the stream manually you would get an unsupported media error. And if you tried to load it from the site you would see a link icon that the iPhone would not let you select.

The WWDC keynote this year was the first that I was able to access and only after putting the 3.0GM (which supports html streaming) on my iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Anything that breaks Adobe's monopolizing practice of attempting to force Flash onto every Internet connected device on earth is a good thing.

The sooner this and other open standards are achieved, the better IMHO.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

You were unable to stream Apple keynotes before OS3.0. When you tried to launch the stream manually you would get an unsupported media error. And if you tried to load it from the site you would see a link icon that the iPhone would not let you select.

The WWDC keynote this year was the first that I was able to access and only after putting the 3.0GM (which supports html streaming) on my iPhone.

Apple have offered a progressive stream in the days after most of the last keynotes. Which has worked on my iphone since last year.

Apple have not offered proper stream for years. It's always been progressive.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm sure developers at WWDC were given some additional insight into the technology. Obviously OSX Server will incorporate this into the QuickTime Streaming Server as a protocal to broadcast with.

I hope so. I use QTSS and Broadcaster with a Kona card to stream Avid edit sessions to a client in New York from our facility in Austin. I works, but not very well. There have been firewall and ISP problems in the past. The setup also has trouble keeping audio in sync, but that appears to the a Broadcaster problem. I'd like to have HTTP streaming as an option.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadunne View Post

Apple have offered a progressive stream in the days after most of the last keynotes. Which has worked on my iphone since last year.

Apple have not offered proper stream for years. It's always been progressive.

As noted by many iPhone users and those running 3.0b5 the wwdc 2009 quicktime stream did not work until they updated to 3.0GM. Last year this was the same with both the special event in september and the wwdc keynote before it all rtsp streams. I ended up waiting and downloading them through itunes.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Real Player was the "Defacto Standard" for years, Window Media before that.

Your post has no basis for support.

If Microsoft doesn't jump on board and support it in IE (or their browser to be released someday) then it will never be standard.

FireFox has more grounds to set Web Standards than Apple does given their Market Share.

I would say... Neither does yours. You do have a cockroach as a pet? Right? Since they are the most abundant creature vs a dog or cat????

Microsoft has been losing support for its web "standard" software for years now. At somepoint it becomes an avalanche and suddenly MS is not relavent. Just a thought.

As far as firefox being in charge.... They make no hardware so they are at the support of all hardware makers to support them.

Apple is playing a middle of the road, making and using "standard" software that others can cheaply use, and making hardware that is optimized for that software.

Just a thought.

en
  • Reply 27 of 56
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Does anyone know if MLB.com uses HTTP Live Streaming to feed their live streams to the MLB.com iPhone app? Those feeds can be pretty nice on 3G but do tend to get a little blocky over EDGE.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

What's next? The obvious followup is to add support for HTTP Live Streaming in Apple TV, allowing for HD streams direct from broadcasters, facilitating the ability to only pay for channels you want to watch, skipping around the local cable monopoly while gaining access to content they don't carry.

I'm really hoping that the broadcasters see beyond the current linear-format TV, but perhaps this is a stepping stone to that future. Of course - some channels are better streamed anyway (eg: live sports/news - but note that many sports and news are actually prerecorded) - but the majority could move to a new model.

We need to get to a point where a current TV show releases its episodes weekly (eg: 7pm Thurs) but moves straight to a download model, rather than streaming model (it's easy enough to force ads into either system). An older TV shows are downloaded on demand - ad supported, or part of a subscription package, or PPV.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    sseelmansseelman Posts: 1member
    So, my question is about what it will take for Hulu and Netflix to start streaming to the iPhone. I assume both use a flash server of some kind. Do they need to do anything on their side to stream to the iPhone with the new HTTP live streaming. Is their an investment in time, equipment, anything? If yes - any idea how painful? If no - is there any other inhibitor to keep them from starting to stream to the iPhone? There is such a big potential market here that I have to believe that they are seriously looking at it.

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 30 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Colloquy livestream app had been usable on iPhone and available for ages.

And guys, those keynotes were not live-streams, they were recorded videos. A live stream is "LIVE"
  • Reply 31 of 56
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

I don't see an issue with iChat since Apple and AOL could easily add the newer protocol. I would not be supprised to see this added to iChat and AIM sometime in the next 6mo to a year.

The other browsers vendors are all wanting to solve this problem so I think MS will come on board.

MS is no longer the driving force in the browser war. If all of the others browsers come on board MS will have no choice but to join the party plus someone will figure our a way to add a plugin if MS dosen't.

Without delving into the spec any deeper, I don't see this working for video chat. The streaming isn't real time -- it sounds like it's essentially lots of 10sec or so movies held together by a playlist. The client just requests the next movie while the current one is playing. This is fine for TV or sports (who's going to mind a 10 sec delay?), but won't work for 2 way synchronous video.

The only way around this would be to decrease the individual movie length to less than 1 sec. But the bandwidth overhead for this will make it fairly unfeasible. Plus, I suspect whatever error correction, file re-request etc. that HTTP streaming includes will not play nicely with the TCP error/lost packet handling. Result: even greater increase in bandwidth and latency, leading to an even poorer 2 way video chat.

The only place I can see this working is a one way streaming broadcast from one iPhone to somewhere else (possibly another iPhone). Until an iPhone has a front facing camera, realistically, that's all you'll get anyway!

I'm no expert in this area, so happy to be corrected (by someone who is!). But my feelings are: don't get your hopes up.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    stukdogstukdog Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

Does anyone know if MLB.com uses HTTP Live Streaming to feed their live streams to the MLB.com iPhone app? Those feeds can be pretty nice on 3G but do tend to get a little blocky over EDGE.

I believe they do. I remember an MLB programmer talking about how excited they were for the new 3.0 OS because it would give them ability to stream videos of games. I think this was in the video they showed at WWDC in the keynote about app developers.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

We need to get to a point where a current TV show releases its episodes weekly (eg: 7pm Thurs) but moves straight to a download model, rather than streaming model (it's easy enough to force ads into either system). An older TV shows are downloaded on demand - ad supported, or part of a subscription package, or PPV.

I like that idea. Since the video is chopped into sections anyway, the advertisers can insert ads dynamically, which means that just like re-runs on tv, the ads can be current no matter how old the content is.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I found some additional info on Apple's site

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/li...aOverview.html
  • Reply 35 of 56
    princeprince Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jef View Post

Streaming of Apple events has worked already since the iPhone 0S 1.0.

For example the keynote:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...rnal=ijalrmacu

Any idea how this works? Because this is already live streaming to your iPhone.

The video you linked to is not a live stream, but rather a progressive download of a QuickTime movie. The iPhone has always been able to download videos posted on the web or obtained via an RSS feed (video podcasts).
  • Reply 36 of 56
    princeprince Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

So bascially HTTP Straming is a Chopped version of Progressive Download. Another good open standard Apple is adopting.

Progressive downloads are packaged differently, so it's not exactly just chopped up. HTTP Live Streaming uses MPEG Transport Streams, also used in broadcasting. DVDs use MPEG Program Streams, which assume more reliable delivery.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    warpdagwarpdag Posts: 26member
    This is not really streaming, but progressive download... The same way youtube and other services work. The one thing people forget is the fact that RTP (and subsequently RTSP and RTCP) was built to manage QoS, adapt the stream bitrate and/or the framerate on the fly, etc... Progressive download is more or less a big fat buffer of bits downloaded in chunks, and eventually played back. Works great when you know your QoS is somewhat secured like at home on DSL. Will require big fat buffers to works smoothly over the mobile.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Mobile OS's, Desktop OS's and Browsers will merge into a single OS.

The mobile platform is catching up in CPU/GPU/RAM to netbooks.

You would think that they would all be multi-tasking by now...

Battery life is still the kicker and why we won't see user initiated multitasking any time soon (you do know that the iPhone multitasks just fine, right?)
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Why start a new standard. Why not use the one appearently defined in the 3G (UMTS) specs. Every other 3G phone other that I have used will stream content. Its what YouTube uses on the m.youtube.com and what television stations use in Europe. My 3G Nokia that I got back in 2005 supports this, as well as my more recent HTC TyTn. The streams appear to be identical in format.

Why define a new standard and throw these old devices in the trash as far as streaming. If its quality then I don't see it as the existing standard appears to variable bit rate.

Sure the iPhone may promote the adoption of a new standard (and IT IS NOT STANDARDS BASED if it has been adopted yet or signed on my a comittee) but there are alot more Nokia Phones out there. Will video providers have to direct people two different streams? Have two technologies? It will make it more costly. Like I said every other recent good phone has streaming, it appears to the same technology. It was pushed with 3G so it wouldn't suprise me to see it defined in the 3G GSM (UMTS) specs. Why go away from something that works and works well. Your not gonna convince me this is DVD to Blu-ray. Well exepct for the fact that maybe Apple hopes it can control a standard.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

I don't know, but the video quality of their live games over wifi is stunning.