Intuit says new Quicken for Mac delayed to 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

what are other folks using on the mac in lieu of quicken?

I am in Canada and have special requirements in terms of federal and provincial taxes so I am even more limited in my choices. I started off with Moneyworks which seemed like a decent product but I couldn't find an accountant that was familiar with it. I then switched o vmware and Simply Accounting which is widely used here but is not a nice program (MS Win only). My BIG problem with the vmware route is that you loose all Address Book, Apple Mail, iCal integration. (I might as well run windows, period). I am now looking at myob (AccountEdge for Mac) as they have just brought out a Canadian version. I fear I will be back in the land of no Account support however.

I may just start to use dedicated sales and inventory software and let an accountant do the accounting. The whole thing has become the bain of my fucking life and takes up WAY too much time of my thinking!
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Tag line for Intuit's Mac products: Half the features for twice the price.

And forget about bank support, because what bank would be willing to pay Intuit double their yearly fee's just to get an extra 5% or so customers.

Intuit seems to be doing everything they can to discourage people from using MacOS X.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

...I am now looking at myob (AccountEdge for Mac) as they have just brought out a Canadian version...

I would be wary of AccountEdge. They used to be in Canada, but they sold out to Intuit (namely, they sold the distribution rights for AccountEdge in Canada). Intuit promptly decided to not distribute it in Canada.

Why would you think this time around would be any different. As in, AccountEdge in Canada takes some customers away from Quicken, and Intuit just kicks some more cash at AccountEdge to go away again.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

It's quite impressive and has come a long way over the last couple of years.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In Thursday?s blog post, Gulbransen explained that Intuit has, in the interim, continued to tweak the new Quicken for Mac.

?We went back to the drawing board and are making changes to everything from what the program does to how it looks,? he wrote. ?We spent extra time building a reconcile mode for the new register, a robust Windows-to-Mac transfer function for new Mac users (and existing customers running Quicken on a Windows virtual machine), and redesigned the experience to make it look and feel like a native Mac application should.?

The second paragraph indicates we are looking at far more than a simple "tweak". Back to the drawing board would be the first contradiction.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    So far as I am concerned, Intuit can drop dead and take Quicken for the Mac with them. They will never sell me any product under any circumstance. 10 years of being treated like s*it has that effect on me.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

So far as I am concerned, Intuit can drop dead and take Quicken for the Mac with them. They will never sell me any product under any circumstance. 10 years of being treated like s*it has that effect on me.

+1 F*** Intuit
  • Reply 28 of 72
    First requirement:

A native version. No ports, thank you.

We're past those days when ports were good enough. We have our own solutions that are coming along nicely, thank you very much.

If you don't design it from the ground up for Macs, we don't need it. There's always Boot Camp, Parallels, etc.

MS Office is a different story - there's still a working relationship with MS that on some level needs to be nurtured. For the record, though, MS Office for Mac lasted about a month on my old iMac back in '06 before I trashed it. And good riddance.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

It's quite impressive and has come a long way over the last couple of years.

I'm sorry, but that also is a big fat FAIL.

You cannot send payments with iBank, and this is one of the major reasons people still use Quicken. I don't understand why if they have everything else implemented they can't deal with this (actually I do - I wouldn't want to be responsible for that either!)

Any other options that include sending electronic payments?
  • Reply 30 of 72
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Quicken Financial Life for Mac.?

Right there... That means it's gonna be crippled and missing many features.

Just like Office for the Mac.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

I'm sorry, but that also is a big fat FAIL.

You cannot send payments with iBank, and this is one of the major reasons people still use Quicken. I don't understand why if they have everything else implemented they can't deal with this (actually I do - I wouldn't want to be responsible for that either!)

Any other options that include sending electronic payments?

Totally forgot sending payments was a requirement.

I thought they already implemented that.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Looking pretty good from those screenshots. I'd say this is definitely a good thing, given how painful the current Quicken software is to use. And I'm glad to see a Mac-centric interest from a company like this, instead of the once typical 'port it and get on with it' approach.

I am on the Beta... believe me, the cover flow is a gimmick - I mean seriously, seeing your registers go by like album art? Why?

The reason they did this, is because all the beta-testers universally despised QFLfM and most people said they'd stick to either iBank (which is far better than the QFL beta) or run virtual machines and stay with Quicken for Windows.

I really hope they make is easier to migrate from Quicken Windows, and I for one will be glad to get rid of Parallels.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm still using 2005 for my business accounts. It's pretty awful but I'm used to it. (How's that for the perfect description of a bad marriage!)

I can't imagine upgrading unless Inuit completely overhauled the application and the interface. By that I also mean, make it a lot better. Not just different, not just new, better. You hear me, Inuit?

Somehow I doubt it.

You can do better,

Try M.Y.O.B. for small business needs or even like me use Filemaker pro which is owned by apple .

Good Luck to all you quicken users

• Reply 34 of 72
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    How can a company announce a product in 2008 and in the middle of 2009, saying it will come out in 2010. Hmm, just sounds like Microsoft.

I don't really use this crap anyway, so they can release it in 2099. The first time I used this software, it was awful and I never touched the damned thing again. There are better apps out there to do the same thing better. Get one and help Intuit "quicken" their own demise.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Looks like Quicken is taking the Adobe/M$ approach to releasing Mac software.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    laleslales Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

what are other folks using on the mac in lieu of quicken?

Can't speak for others, but as a LOONNG time Quicken user, I've recently started using MoneyWell, and have been VERY HAPPY. My needs are pretty basic (I'm not using it for investment tracking) and YMMV, but for me it's doing almost everything that Quicken should be doing and isn't.

The UI WORKS, the developer is responsive, and I hardly ever need to use VMWare these days. It's not perfect, it's missing a few features I like from Quicken, but for the most part it's a pleasure to use.

In any case, what boggles my mind: why has Bill Campbell been allowed to remain on the board all these years. One would think his presence would be an embarrassment to Apple.

http://nothirst.com/moneywell/
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Who really gives a crap!? They are soooo last decade!!! Turbo Tax will keep them funded a few more years ... but even that gravy train will end.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    jasonxjasonx Posts: 17member
    Moneydance is probably the best Quicken alternative on the Mac. As far as I know, it is the only personal finance software on the Mac (besides Quicken) that supports both investment tracking and online bill pay through direct connect with your bank. Also, they don't ever sunset their software, so you can use it for as long as you have a computer that runs it. Nice.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    I'm beginning to think Intuit is the new Microsoft. They push back products year after year and then release shitty products that work half ass.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    I've been running the beta for the last... well must be 9 months already... and QFL is a horrible start with no progress made over the year in fixing anything... You can replicate the functionality in Numbers, or maybe even TextEdit... As for Coverflow and crap... that reminds me of the old days of when I wrote Commodore 64 games... I'd design a great opening screen, some cool music, and then quit before the actual game was written...

Really, my online banking has almost reached the functionality of Quicken, Money, etc... I can get balances from other banks, credit cards... make all my payments... The only thing it doesn't do is investment tracking... which QFL has ZERO support for. It will download a balance, but does NO transaction reporting for capital gains...

I tried Investoscope, which despite the odd name, is a mighty fine investment tracking app. Mind you, that's all it does, but in combination with my own bank's online features, it's perfect.