Apple tweaks Dock menus in new Snow Leopard beta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

You're depressed by other people's...optimism?

Its easy to become depressed when peoples stupidity makes ones head hurt.

Quite honestly I don't know why people whine to the degree which they do about Mac OS X look and feel; compared to Windows it is absolute perfection.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

You're depressed by other people's...optimism?

Don't you think it'd look a little odd to have white-text-on-black contextual menus only in the Dock? How difficult would it be to similarly invert the color of the Menu Bar and the standard ctrl-click context menu? That would certainly go along with the Dock's white-text-on-black app icon labels introduced in Leopard, TimeMachine, iTunes 8, QuickLook, QuickTime X, etc.

It isn't a contextual menu, it's the contents of a stack, and therefore it makes sense to adopt the same UI as the icon stack and differentiate itself from contextual and normal menus.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I installed it last night and while system response has improved a little, still takes longer to boot than 10.5.7. You would think that a 64-bit system that focuses on tweaks wouldn't take so long to boot. Oh well, I am still overall happy with it.

If that was your FIRST reboot then it makes sense, since EVERY time you do a System update, the first reboot takes a long time.

Did you try rebooting a SECOND time?
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrparet View Post

The Aqua interface is the only thing giving OS X wrinkles. The operating system would look a lot fresher if given the interface treatment seen in iTunes. I'm hoping that what we are now seeing with Stacks is giving us a glimpse at an Aqua-less OS X.

Let's hope they don't make everything look like iTunes. I find it dull. Still, it would be better than all the BLACK UI stuff that some people seem to clamor for. White text on black. NO thanks.

I'd like to see the Finder windows' forward and back buttons get keyboard commands like Safari.

Whatever happened to Finder window Tabs? That would be nice to cut down on window clutter.

As for the Dock, I rarely use it for anything beyond opening the Trash.

How about an option to put the Trash in the Finder window Sidebar? If I had that, I could almost kill the Dock entirely.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

It isn't a contextual menu, it's the contents of a stack, and therefore it makes sense to adopt the same UI as the icon stack and differentiate itself from contextual and normal menus.

Looks like more than just Stack menus:

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/10/...-enhancements/

Looks like AI also got the slider wrong. Apparently the Finder's new slider has gone from Aqua to:

• Reply 26 of 102
    That is now how the world works now. It can be literally just a few weeks from having a RTM to a box in the customers hand, especially when you're talking millions in quantity. Debugging also not that hard to turn off. I take it you're not a developer so I'm wondering how you are running SL anyways?

Quote:

It's possible that it is, and that's what I was thinking. However if SL is going to be available in September (not knowing when in September of course, typical) then it would RTM probably sometime in mid-August at the latest based solely on my assumptions. I would hope that they still wouldn't have debugging turned on this late into development. Oh well, I still am happy with SL so far.

• Reply 27 of 102
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Looks like more than just Stack menus:

Looks like AI also got the slider wrong. Apparently the Finder's new slider has gone from Aqua to:

You're absolutely right, I hadn't seen the MacRumors image. This seems like more of a strange addition then. I would have thought it would make sense to only change it for stacks. Maybe Apple are going to change all the menus to match.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple may also be fiddling with the design of other Mac OS X interface elements, such as slide knobs, which now appear to feature a deeper, more vibrant shade of blue.

Something's fishy with that slider. It looks like a cross between the aqua slider and the non-aqua one. Frankly, both look more likely than the hybrid. There's no way an apple graphic designer would make the stupid mistake of having a lighter blue circle in the center of a glass orb with no major gradients leading to it. It's just out of place.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Quote:

You're absolutely right, I hadn't seen the MacRumors image. This seems like more of a strange addition then. I would have thought it would make sense to only change it for stacks. Maybe Apple are going to change all the menus to match.

Well to be fair, I hadn't seen those MacRumors images either. I just presumed the rest of the Dock's menus would have the same black-on-white aesthetic.

And not to brag, but what feels like ions ago now, I sent a mockup to Apple through their Developer Connection (I'm not a developer by any stretch, but I submitted a Mac OS X widget, which gave me partial access) around the time Leopard's new UI was initially unveiled (before getting delayed past its original Spring release to the Fall) in which I suggested...well:

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ardMenuBar.png

I certainly am not taking credit for inspiring them, but the resemblance is uncanny. Obviously, my thoughts have changed on the matter (I want the entire Menu Bar to go white-text-on-black), but still.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

If that was your FIRST reboot then it makes sense, since EVERY time you do a System update, the first reboot takes a long time.

Did you try rebooting a SECOND time?

I use this as my production machine, so yes I have power cycled a few times. No worries though, it works very well for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

I take it you're not a developer so I'm wondering how you are running SL anyways?

Same way any other person who wanted access to it who wasn't a developer....
  • Reply 31 of 102
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple may also be fiddling with the design of other Mac OS X interface elements, such as slide knobs, which now appear to feature a deeper, more vibrant shade of blue.

Ah, so that's why Eric is on Apple's Board. So he can have Marissa help Apple pick the proper shade of blue.
  • Reply 32 of 102
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Perhaps it would, if white text on a dark transparent background was a good idea. It isn't. (Jump Menus are more similar in behaviour, and are platinum/black)

They tried overly translucent menus in 10.5.0, it didn't work. Why do they believe it would work better now?

It would be very nice if Apple stopped making these arbitrary changes adding more flash and removing bang.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

(Jump Menus are more similar in behaviour, and are platinum/black)

Windows 7's jump lists are black text on white, not platinum text on black:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...res/jump-lists

Quote:

Perhaps it would, if white text on a dark transparent background was a good idea. It isn't.

They tried overly translucent menus in 10.5.0, it didn't work. Why do they believe it would work better now?

What about the new contextual menus is 'overly translucent'? They don't appear any more or less translucent than Leopard's current menus.

Quote:

It would be very nice if Apple stopped making these arbitrary changes adding more flash and removing bang.

What makes white text on black any more arbitrary than black text on white?
  • Reply 34 of 102
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 820member
    Quote:

Black text on white ever since Mac System 1.

Like ink on paper, unlike green text on black screens everywhere else in the computing universe of the time. Unless you got one of those SLICK amber displays, of course.

The white on black business reminds me of all those nasty kaleidoscope themes that were trying to look oh-so-high-tech. UGH. Keep it.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    nickmininickmini Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Windows 7's jump lists are black text on white, not platinum text on black:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...res/jump-lists

What about the new contextual menus is 'overly translucent'? They don't appear any more or less translucent than Leopard's current menus.

Actually, black on white is more legible and less strain on the eyes for reading lots of text (like a book or an article); white on black is less of a strain on the eyes in low light conditions. For menus where there isn't much text at a time to read, it's really kind of a subjective preference, neither is too much worse or better. Personally, IF the dark menus are done well, I would prefer them to the white. Sexy.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 21member
    System Preferences can be accessed without launching the app!

• Reply 37 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Black text on white ever since Mac System 1.

Like ink on paper, unlike green text on black screens everywhere else in the computing universe of the time. Unless you got one of those SLICK amber displays, of course.

The white on black business reminds me of all those nasty kaleidoscope themes that were trying to look oh-so-high-tech. UGH. Keep it.

But this is just contextual menus, not the entire system. I don't see them swapping out Leopard's unified, subdued UI in favor of white text on black glass (aside from QTX, which is a special case), that would be very Vista/Windows Media Player 11ish. Yuck.

I could see them potentially darkening the grey window title bars enough that white text could be used there as well, but that's about it (again, aside from the contextual menus, which may include the mother of all contextual menus: the Menu Bar).

This goes right in line with the iPhone: white text on black 'Menu Bar' (if we can call the bar along the top such a name), grey bordered apps (though there are more variants in window boarders than Leopard, obviously).
  • Reply 38 of 102
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

It's possible that it is, and that's what I was thinking. However if SL is going to be available in September (not knowing when in September of course, typical) then it would RTM probably sometime in mid-August at the latest based solely on my assumptions. I would hope that they still wouldn't have debugging turned on this late into development. Oh well, I still am happy with SL so far.

A fellow professor asked me to set up (by phone) a configured purchase of a Mini. She wanted to buy it just before September 8, so she could get a free iPod Touch. No joy. The Mini doesn't qualify even configured at a higher price than the white laptop which does qualify for the free Touch. The rep said it wouldn't have SL installed either. However, the Apple rep told me that if my friend waited until after September 8, SL WOULD be installed, but not not necessarily on September 9. The rep said that Apple would START installing SL on Macs on 9/9/09, but then only as quantities permitted. She wouldn't (OR couldn't) say when ALL Macs would have SL installed.

I didn't think that made sense. OS's aren't like hardware that has to be stockpiled. It seems to me that they would have the SL OS or they wouldn't. I tried to pin her down as to what that meant. No luck.

Can anyone explain why Apple wouldn't install the OS on all Macs at the same time.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrparet View Post

The Aqua interface is the only thing giving OS X wrinkles. The operating system would look a lot fresher if given the interface treatment seen in iTunes. I'm hoping that what we are now seeing with Stacks is giving us a glimpse at an Aqua-less OS X.

And iTunes looks so much like Solaris did 10 years ago.

IF anything I hate that new slider ball. It's much uglier than the old one.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

That slider is same as existing volume slider in iTunes.