Google CEO to discuss his future as an Apple director

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This I question. I think Google has so far been essentially a one-trick pony. Like Microsoft, it's a good and profitable one trick, but still just one trick. As you acknowledge, many of their other projects seem unfinished, probably because they are unfinished, and their entire approach seems unfocused. Not the sign of a well run company, IMO.

Saying that MS is one trick is stupid given it dominates the computer industry from servers (Exchange) to desktop (Windows) to browser (Explorer) to apps (Office).

Saying that Google is one trick is equally stupid given that how it may end up dominating the internet. At the moment Amazon is playing Novell to Google's Microsoft with Amazon Web Services but looking at the two app stacks, and as big a fan of AWS as I am (I use S3 and EC2), Google's stack is superior moving forward.
  • Reply 62 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Actually it is changing. There is a professional version of Google Apps that is ad free. Search and ads is where Google made all its money but its core strength is providing web services. A strength it has to leverage to move forward beyond adsense revenue.

Besides, paying Mozilla is cheap given the eyeballs. How much Google pays Apple no one seems to know but it hardly matters to Apple. It's not like they're likely to switch to Bing.

Good points. I had jsut been talking to someone about Los Angeles County using Google?s paid-for apps and wondering if they are as stringent with their policies and contracts as they are for their ad-supported services were it?s the non-negotiation, ?our way or the highway? policies.