MLB Contraction

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, is this just a ruse by the owners to get the players to sign the new deal, or will the Twins and Expos be gone for good?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>So, is this just a ruse by the owners to get the players to sign the new deal, or will the Twins and Expos be gone for good?</strong><hr></blockquote>

hopefully gone. perhaps then we'll see half decent pitching in the leage.

I think they should go a step further and get rid of both florida teams.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I also hope MLB gets rid of them. I don't know much about the Twins, but the Expos have no fans at all and are just a waste of space in the NL east.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well, there is a delicate line the owners have to walk. First of all, the owners have to want to contract and accept the buyout, and the players Union would be pretty upset if 1/8 of their work force was cut.

I doubt we'll see more than 2 teams contracted ever, never mind more than this year.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    When the Red Sox played the Expos in interleague play (which is an abomination), there were more Red Sox fans that drove up to see the games than Expos fans. Plus, who wants to see a team when they aren't even on television, and can't field a competitive team?

The Red Sox games had the most attendance of any Expos games of the year.

That's just sad.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    And whenever the Mets are in Montreal at least half those fans seem to be Mets fans.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    As a Pirate fan, this could be a good thing. If the Buccos could get Vladimir Guererro or Eric Milton, the Bucs could go from 100 losses to MAYBE a .500 record...assuming Kendall comes back healthy, and Aramis Ramirez has another monster season.

But, I HATE to see the Twins go...they have a great history and a promising young team. I guess MLB doe snot want to so readily admit the mistake they made AKA the Devil Rays (sorry Rays fans! :o ) Plus, Tropican and Olympi are the two worst ballparks HANDS DOWN in the majors...speaking of which, had the Pirates not just moved into PNC Park, they may be on the cutting room floor, so to speak.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm still not sure that they can cut the Twins if the Congress threatens to revoke the clause that makes MLB a 'legal monopoly'. MLB will do anything to keep that status.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Man if the Twins go down it is a sad state of affairs.

Get rid of the goddam Marlins or Devil Rays or whatever stupid-ass teams we have out there. Not the Twins.

Harmon Killebrew

Kirby Puckett

That's history, that would be a travesty.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I also hope MLB gets rid of them. I don't know much about the Twins, but the Expos have no fans at all and are just a waste of space in the NL east.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Twins have lots of fans, particularly in outstate Minnesota. People here are shocked and disappointed by the news.

The millionare/billionaire owners are just pissed at us because we refuse to use our tax dollars to buy them a new stadium to play in.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Mojo the Monkey ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>

Harmon Killebrew

Kirby Puckett

That's history, that would be a travesty.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't forget:

Rod Carew

Jim Kaat

Jim Perry

Mudcat Grant

Bob Allison

Zoilo Versalles

Bert Blyleven

Frank Viola

Gary Gaetti

Tom Brunansky

Greg Gagne

Kent Hrbek

• Reply 11 of 26
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    CaseCom, were you at the Series in '87 and '91?

That had to be the loudest environment for any baseball games, ever! My Homer Hanky still hangs proudly on my wall.

Jeff
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Nope, I left town for my freshman year of college in Chicago in the fall of '87 ... I watched the Series in the dorm TV lounge with three Cardinals fans and a bunch of ambivalent Cubs/White Sox fans.

I listened to most of Game 7 in '91 (Morris vs. Smoltz) on the car radio while driving from Chicago back to Minnesota on I-90 ... got home in about the 8th inning and watched the rest on TV. Awesome!
  • Reply 13 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by CaseCom:

<strong>

Don't forget:

Rod Carew

Jim Kaat

Jim Perry

Mudcat Grant

Bob Allison

Zoilo Versalles

Bert Blyleven

Frank Viola

Gary Gaetti

Tom Brunansky

Greg Gagne

Kent Hrbek

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's a really good list you have.

I'd add:

Brad Radke

Brian Harper

Jeff Reardon

Dan Gladden

Rick Aguilera

and Chuck Knnnnnnnnnoblauch
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Hey good additions. I started following the Twins in the late '70s, so I could also add:

Roy Smalley

Bobby Randall

Mike Cubbage

"Disco" Danny Ford

Larry Hisle

Butch Wynegar

Rob Wilfong

Glenn Adams

Lyman Bostock

Ron Jackson

Ken Landreaux

Hosken Powell

Willie Norwood

Dave Goltz

Geoff Zahn

Pete Redfern

Roger Erickson

Jerry Koosman

John Castino

... and of course...

Bombo Rivera!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    If this does go down I hope it teaches baseball and pro sports in general not to throw teams around to any market that raises a little money.

They can say, look at the Devil Rays, but hey, does anyone remember the Marlins winning the Series?

Jeff
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Yeah, the Marlins won the Series. Whoop-de-doo. Where are they now, though?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Man if the Twins go down it is a sad state of affairs.

Get rid of the goddam Marlins or Devil Rays or whatever stupid-ass teams we have out there. Not the Twins.

Harmon Killebrew

Kirby Puckett

That's history, that would be a travesty.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure would. The Twins are only on the list because the owner is friends with Selig and he sees an easy profit. He'll get more if MLB buys him out than if he sold the team on the open market. I have no problem with contraction but it should be one of the Fla. teams not the Twins.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    The thing is that Florida has spring training. Why do they need two teams to go with that?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Too bad the Braves aren't on the contraction list. Absolute worst fans in baseball....
  • Reply 20 of 26
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Hey!

I'm from Montréal and I just gotta say that we had a LOT of people in the stands considering we got spit upon by management and MLB for the last 10 years...

Montreal is a great baseball city but it lost so many stars along the years the could field a bunch of all-star teams.

We owned in 1994... Then MLB pulled the plug.

BTW: I'll echo the fact that the braves should be eliminated for lack of fan support... empty seats everywhere -for a winning team!-

and the yankees weren't too hot before they became "the dynasty"...