Apple unleashes new Leopard, Snow Leopard betas

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's the way you write sometimes that's the problem.

Sorry, i don't speak octogenerian

Hey Mel the fat lady is performing at the opera, you should check it out.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 164member
    Has anyone been able to verify whether or not the Finder icon in the dock is more useable now? For example, Now that the "Macintosh HD" icon is going to be off by default, if i have a file or folder on my desktop, can I drag it over the finder icon, and finder window open via spring loaded folders? You can do this with the "Macintosh HD" icon but you can't do it with the finder icon unless you hit the "space" bar while doing it. No pun intended but that's kinda a drag.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That list will change state.

What evidence to have that the list will change? From what I understand, OpenCL isn't as easy as flicking a switch and voila, OpenCL goodness.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 517member
    While there might not be empirical evidence at this time, there was discussion that Apple would include the 2400 and 2600 in the OpenCL "goodness".

So, as with many things, we will have to wait and see. I am hoping for it since obviously I have an iMac with the 2600.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry, i don't speak octogenerian

Hey Mel the fat lady is performing at the opera, you should check it out.

Very funny.

Maybe you should start speaking English instead.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

What evidence to have that the list will change? From what I understand, OpenCL isn't as easy as flicking a switch and voila, OpenCL goodness.

I am not aware of any evidence. I also looked up FWIW ? for what it's worth. I'm going with the SL specs.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

OpenCL drivers for Apple endorsing are up to Apple. OpenCL ready drivers for Macs from Nvidia and AMD will be managed by both of them. I'd mention Intel but I don't see Apple moving away from the hybrid model in laptops going forward.

That list will change, but it will mainly be due to the GPU vendors and not Apple.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Has anyone been able to verify whether or not the Finder icon in the dock is more useable now? For example, Now that the "Macintosh HD" icon is going to be off by default, if i have a file or folder on my desktop, can I drag it over the finder icon, and finder window open via spring loaded folders?

Yes, it opens a new Finder window.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    I just ordered my snow leopard for my new MacBook.... only cost me $9.95..
  • Reply 70 of 76
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    I just bought Snow Leopard for $9.95!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

I got one of the last remaining new stock of the iMac 24" 2.8 GHz previous generation for $1,199, saved $600 off the original price. Apple still has them in the refurb store for the same price. Browsing Apple's page today, I came across the Snow Leopard Up To Date page. Anyone buying a qualifying Mac after June 9, 2009 can get Snow Leopard for $9.95 with free shipping. But don't wait until Snow Leopard is released. You have only 90 days from your date of purchase to order Snow Leopard to qualify. So if you bought a Mac in June, waiting until the September release date to order may disqualify you.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    I'm glad to see Apple carrying on it's tradition of re-releasing the same ole' product over and over and just slapping a new name on it.

Snow Leopard is a far cry from Windows 7.... Even though they want it to be... (sorry Apple, Microsoft wins again)
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crankenstein View Post

I'm glad to see Apple carrying on it's tradition of re-releasing the same ole' product over and over and just slapping a new name on it.

Snow Leopard is a far cry from Windows 7.... Even though they want it to be... (sorry Apple, Microsoft wins again)

Yeah, I know you're trolling, but I'm bored so I'll respond.

I could say the same thing about Windows 7 being a rebranded Vista. After all, even Microsoft's internal version number for this version of Windows is 6.1. The improvement were mostly superficial, and the only things keeping it from being a service pack from a consumer-level user are the new taskbar and some other minor user interface adjustments.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Yeah, I know you're trolling, but I'm bored so I'll respond.

I could say the same thing about Windows 7 being a rebranded Vista. After all, even Microsoft's internal version number for this version of Windows is 6.1. The improvement were mostly superficial, and the only things keeping it from being a service pack from a consumer-level user are the new taskbar and some other minor user interface adjustments.

There are some other differences between Vista/Win7 and Leopard/Snow Leopard.

Win7?s full featured setup actually has less bells and whistles than Vista. This was done to allow the Ultimate version of Win7 to run better on older and/or slower hardware. Win7 has also shown to be about the same speed as Vista when doing low level tests, which shows that it?s really just a scrapping of weighty processes without actually improving the core OS functionality and efficiency.

Snow Leopard on the other hand hasn?t lost any functionality (except for the lack of Pro features in Quicktime X, but that will be remedied by the having QuickTime 7 available for those who want it). The core OS and it?s frameworks have been completely reworked. It?s faster doing the same low level tasks on the same HW between OSes and most machines have the ability to run in 32-bit or 64-bit with a simple restart, unlike MS? method of requiring an OS reinstall if you are running in 64-bit and come across a driver that is still only in 32-bit. That makes the switch to 64-bit a very daunting process indeed.

In MS? defense, their business model does require them to support more HW, legacy HW and APIs a lot longer than Apple would likely ever be comfortable doing. This surely is a reason why they are always behind Apple on such tasks despite their greater resources.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Well, for my up-to-date program, I had to send a copy of the purchase receipt and the online form to the UK. I live in India and Apple has a f!@king local office. Moreover, despite most vendors having online retail presence, Apple India doesn't sell online.

Can someone kill someone in charge of this mess for me? Thanks.

But yea, waiting for Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is GCD and what does it do?

Thanks
  • Reply 76 of 76
    jpgjpg Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but what is GCD and what does it do?

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Dispatch