Verizon app store to be mandated; new BlackBerry sells well

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What phones does Verizon allow to ship with a free navigation software, or ship with third party media distribution software?

The concern should be the other way around.

The reality is that Apple denied apps to the app store because those 3rd party apps have "duplicative" features (i.e. podcasting) that competes with itunes.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The reality is that Apple denied apps to the app store because those 3rd party apps have "duplicative" features (i.e. podcasting) that competes with itunes.

iTunes is the infrastructure for licensed copyright materials from the music/video industry. Apple signed an agreement protecting their choices.

Take it up with them.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

They allow such things already on smartphones. Storm has had Google Maps since February of this year as an example. Plenty of smartphones already ship with players other than VCast. I have no idea where you are getting that from.

I know people with the Storm and none of them have Google Maps. What other media service ships with Verizon phones?

Quote:

You are right that Apple would not like a competing store on the iPhone but that shows a lack of Apple openness and not Verizon's.

They both want equal control in this matter.

Quote:

Finally Verizon could simply do what AT&T does and include it in the cost of the data plan which is already cheaper than just the data plan on AT&T for all the "feature phones" Verizon offers VVM on.

Verizon's smartphone unlimited data plan is $50. Plus $5 for visual voicemail.

Quote:

Why do you keep intentionally conflating smart and non-smart phones Teno? Have you gone into a Verizon store and used the smartphones? Did Verizon suddenly replace RIM' email servers and phone programs with ones of their own choosing?

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. What if you don't have a Blackberry.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You are right that Apple would not like a competing store on the iPhone but that shows a lack of Apple openness and not Verizon's. As an iPhone owner I very much appreciated Cydia making available to me features which Apple wants to use to force me to purchase a new phone. I very much appreciate Cycorder, ActivateMMS, and finally netatalk for giving my phone features it should have from Apple.

It's not so simple. I don't see Apple wanting the store to make big bucks from. The store was the ideal way Apple thought things should be done. How would a store from Verizon work? What rules would be in place? Would they conflict with Apple's? would the same apps be sold? Etc.

The App Store is a service to their customers that gives them an easy way to get what they need, and insure compliance with the contracts Apple has with their carriers.

This is similar to what China Mobile was reported to want, control of the App Store.

I can't see a useful purpose having one under the control of Verizon. And, how would that work with the other phone manufacturers? Would this just be a part of that? It's not clear.

Quote:

Speaking in the same terms though, there are plenty of Verizon folks who had hacks open access to their GPS chips for example.

Hacking doesn't count. That's not a service the company offers.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I only know of one app that was denied for this reason, but I agree it is not a good policy.

Quote:

• Reply 66 of 70
    The Blackberry will not sell that many after 2 weeks. I give you my words on that.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What phones does Verizon allow to ship with a free navigation software, or ship with third party media distribution software?

Pre I guess.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Pre I guess.

We don't know, because they don't have the phone yet.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    Quote:

+1. I agree with you completely.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We don't know, because they don't have the phone yet.

Yeah. They are slow.