Steve Ballmer laughs off Google's Chrome OS threat

Comments

• Reply 101 of 143
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Really? What's the motivation for me to run a netbook limited to just web apps (even if they are from Google) when for maybe $50 more (if that even) I can have Windows and "have it all"?

Has no one learned anything from the iPhone and the Appstore? It's all about the Apps! Why do you think people want Windows on netbooks?

If anything, I could see Apple extending the Appstore into the netbook space and being far more successful then Google doing anything but unleashing yet another beta product.

How many people are on Hotmail vs. Gmail? People aren't going to run to Google just because of their name. That's about as stupid as the people that like to claim Apples products are doing well strictly because of superficial marketing - what a load of crap!

Really, let's get some perspective here

Uh, love my Mac but I do think a lot of their success has been around the ability to really market their product.

That anyone blows off marketing so easily shows me they don't understand much about what really drives business.

Much of Apple's success has actually been the result of younger people adopting the product & then by virtue of seeing their kids use it Parents begin getting interested.

Yes people care about apps but the only real clout windows machines had over younger generations was gaming, & that ain't gonna happen on a netbook my friend. Because of their price many families are getting netbooks as their kids first computer. I'm not saying it will happen overnight but I think people just blowing off the opportunity Google has here are going to be sorry in the end. Look how people mocked the iPhone, saying it was too late to the game.

I for one don't really care much what the projected odds are, I just want to see some serious shake up in the PC industry, it's been stagnant for so long. Just looking at an Apple TiBook will help you realize how many years behind the PC industry was for so many years.
  • Reply 102 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed. All iApps (iLife and iWork) need Pro counterparts as for example we have now with iMovie / FCPro . I'd love a Pro version of iWeb for example.

It's a shame really. It's the perfect opportunity because they could offer it at a discount for Mac users (current pricing), offer it at competitive pricing for Windows (match MS Office & best it by 10% or something) Don't want to pay for a $130 for MS Office? How about iWork for $120! Whatcha gonna do now Baalllmerrrr!!!

Ok, maybe a bit overly dramatic.
  • Reply 103 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

It's a shame really. It's the perfect opportunity because they could offer it at a discount for Mac users (current pricing), offer it at competitive pricing for Windows (match MS Office & best it by 10% or something) Don't want to pay for a $130 for MS Office? How about iWork for $120! Whatcha gonna do now Baalllmerrrr!!!

Ok, maybe a bit overly dramatic.

Haha, I'm an idiot! Office (Student/Teacher) for windows is $150!
  • Reply 104 of 143
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Sergey Brin should just kick his ass. Just walk up to him, and be straight up, "What you sayin' 'bout Chrome OS ****?!? I already heard!" and drop him. Pow- one hit- Sergey's fist- his face- his face- the floor.

Then Sergey be like, "Do no evil? **** And then he rollerblade on out of there.

That is an extremely unlikely string of events, but I do have to admit I would digg it.

EDIT: language

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I know this was probably just a joke, but I don't find it funny.

People who do this kind of stuff are the cause of most of the worlds problems. The sooner this kind of "in your face" stuff is bred out of the gene pool the better of we will all be.

... Are you serious? I figured people would know it was a joke at about the word ass, right after they read Sergey Brin should kick his. It was a stupid joke. A lame attempt at humor- and you see, the humor is based on the ridiculous nature of the situation.

You can dissect a joke like an animal, but the thing dies in the process...
  • Reply 105 of 143
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Well what's he supposed to say, really?
  • Reply 106 of 143
    He's just a cocky bland individual, IMHO!

I don't want to sound like a blinded apple fan but please............

this guy is such a lifeless no panache individual that clearly reflects Microsoft culture.

well that sounded kind of fanatic but you get my drift i hope,

cheers,

Charles
  • Reply 107 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Again, no big name behind the OS like Chrome will have. Not only that but the netbook Linux distros weren't uniform, they were all customized & the included e-mail/office apps were all pulled together as is from opensource.

Google on the other hand has a very nice & clean looking set of online office apps that should work great for most users (they are much cleaner & easier to use than MS Office). If they can solve the issues like lack of quicktime or iTunes support then they will be off to a good start. Then again who knows, for all we know Apple may secretly develop a version of iTunes/Quicktime for Chrome OS, I wouldn't be totally shocked or surprised.

I still think this is wishful thinking.

We don't know much about Chrome yet, and people are saying it's going to make a big difference.

Maybe it will, but I don't see how right now.

Online apps are not useful much of the time. If those apps could reside on the machine, they'd be more useful.

Ir will take years before Chrome has got enough stuff to be more that an interesting sideline.

and again, we still have at least a year before it comes out.

A year gives both MS and Apple a big lead. And Google might change their minds. It wouldn't be the first time.
  • Reply 108 of 143
    Quote:

Uh, love my Mac but I do think a lot of their success has been around the ability to really market their product.

That anyone blows off marketing so easily shows me they don't understand much about what really drives business.

Much of Apple's success has actually been the result of younger people adopting the product & then by virtue of seeing their kids use it Parents begin getting interested.

Yes people care about apps but the only real clout windows machines had over younger generations was gaming, & that ain't gonna happen on a netbook my friend. Because of their price many families are getting netbooks as their kids first computer. I'm not saying it will happen overnight but I think people just blowing off the opportunity Google has here are going to be sorry in the end. Look how people mocked the iPhone, saying it was too late to the game.

I for one don't really care much what the projected odds are, I just want to see some serious shake up in the PC industry, it's been stagnant for so long. Just looking at an Apple TiBook will help you realize how many years behind the PC industry was for so many years.

It's much more than marketing, though coming from that background, I agree that it's important.

But you have to have a solid product behind the marketing.

Look at Vista. $300 million in marketing, according to MS. The Zune, $150 million in marketing. $100 million for their internet search.

Need I go on?
  • Reply 109 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

He is in need of an afternoon of Electro-Shock Treatment. Then maybe he'll come out of the coma he's been in for years..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibgarrett View Post

You know, I have to wonder how long this sort of ignore and chase behavior the board of directors for MS will allow this to go on. Balmer may think he's in charge - but there is that pesky board to report to.

my thoughts exactly....lol!
  • Reply 110 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Based on what I have seen of Ballmer's temperament, I could see him killing his wife and kids. But he wouldn't set fire to himself. He would set fire to one of his underlings.

Too much of a megalomaniac to do any serious damage to himself.

• Reply 111 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

... Are you serious? I figured people would know it was a joke at about the word ass, right after they read Sergey Brin should kick his. It was a stupid joke. A lame attempt at humor- and you see, the humor is based on the ridiculous nature of the situation.

You can dissect a joke like an animal, but the thing dies in the process...

The joke's ok, though a bit over the top, but watch the language in the future please.
  • Reply 112 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mklos View Post

Maybe this will be a great OS and maybe it won't but, IMO...this is the problem with Microsoft. They think they're on top of the world and nothing can beat them. This is exactly how people/companies fail! They keep progressing slowly, doing just enough to say they did something while others are advancing their technologies significantly. It seems like he would eventually learn that Microsoft should be innovating...not sitting back and watching and then trying to copy what works. This eventually will bite them in the ass. It kind of already did with Windows Vista.

Someday maybe Microsoft investors will can his ass. As much as we all like to pick on Microsoft it would be nice to actually see them innovate now and then.

I couldn't agree more,
  • Reply 113 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's much more than marketing, though coming from that background, I agree that it's important.

But you have to have a solid product behind the marketing.

Look at Vista. $300 million in marketing, according to MS. The Zune, $150 million in marketing. $100 million for their internet search.

Need I go on?

Look, it is a little wishful & yes the product can't absolutely stink & still succeed. I'm just saying, I'm looking at & playing with the googledocs page & have been using a few of Google's other apps & they all share one commonality with Apple that I think has been a key to Apple's success. Like Apple Google has understood for a long time now that people want simplicity. What a concept to create a search page that had practically nothing but a search field! I remember how yahoo & others scoffed at it & then it became an overnight sensation because it was 3 things.

1. Clean

2. Fast

3. Effective

Maybe I'm overly confident but I believe Google can pull it off. One of the reasons they have had such a great partnership with Apple I think is because they embrace many of the same ideas regarding simplicity & elegance. The one thing that they have gained from their partnership with Apple has to learn that they also need some bling.

I do agree with many others on one thing. If Chrome OS is officially released on netbooks still with the tag "beta", then it will never get off the ground. All the skepticism aside, come on people & have a little hope! (lest we become the negative market forecasters we oh so often criticise).
  • Reply 114 of 143
    Quote:

Look, it is a little wishful & yes the product can't absolutely stink & still succeed. I'm just saying, I'm looking at & playing with the googledocs page & have been using a few of Google's other apps & they all share one commonality with Apple that I think has been a key to Apple's success. Like Apple Google has understood for a long time now that people want simplicity. What a concept to create a search page that had practically nothing but a search field! I remember how yahoo & others scoffed at it & then it became an overnight sensation because it was 3 things.

1. Clean

2. Fast

3. Effective

Maybe I'm overly confident but I believe Google can pull it off. One of the reasons they have had such a great partnership with Apple I think is because they embrace many of the same ideas regarding simplicity & elegance. The one thing that they have gained from their partnership with Apple has to learn that they also need some bling.

I do agree with many others on one thing. If Chrome OS is officially released on netbooks still with the tag "beta", then it will never get off the ground. All the skepticism aside, come on people & have a little hope! (lest we become the negative market forecasters we oh so often criticise).

Yes, their apps are clean. They are easy to use.

But, and this is the point I'm trying to make, is it what people want?

There isn't any evidence to show this yet. So far, cloud computing hasn't taken off. Will it take off? No one knows.

Google is making a bet, with Chrome, that it will. But they don't know either.

MS is also covering it's ***, just in case, but they also don't know.

So what I'm saying is that we have a new lightweight OS that may come out in no less than a year from now, that no one knows much about, using cloud based apps that no one knows if people will want to use.

Is this a good bet?
  • Reply 115 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Their copied office suite seems to do well too. 5 points to anyone who can name where all 5 legs of the Office suite originally came from.

From Wikipedia (more info is available on each application):

PowerPoint was initially developed in 1984 by Forethought, Inc., Sunnyvale, California, for the Macintosh computer. In 1987, Forethought was bought by Microsoft and became Microsoft's Graphics Business Unit, which continued to further develop the software.

Concepts and ideas of Word were brought from Bravo, the original GUI word processor developed at Xerox PARC.[4][5] On February 1, 1983, development on what was originally named Multi-Tool Word began. Richard Brodie renamed it Microsoft Word, and Microsoft released the program October 25, 1983, for the IBM PC.

Microsoft originally marketed a spreadsheet program called Multiplan in 1982, which became very popular on CP/M systems, but on MS-DOS systems it lost popularity to Lotus 1-2-3. Microsoft released the first version of Excel for the Mac in 1985, and the first Windows version (numbered 2.05 to line up with the Mac and bundled with a run-time Windows environment) in November 1987. Lotus was slow to bring 1-2-3 to Windows and by 1988 Excel had started to outsell 1-2-3 and helped Microsoft achieve the position of leading PC software developer.

Access version 1.0 was released in November 1992, quickly followed in May 1993 by an Access 1.1 release to improve compatibility with other Microsoft products and include the Access Basic programming language. With Office 95, Microsoft Access 95 became part of the Microsoft Office Professional Suite joining Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint and transitioning from Access Basic to Visual Basic for Applications (VBA).

Microsoft Schedule Plus (or Microsoft Schedule+, 1992) was a time-management software product by Microsoft, but was discontinued as part of Office when most of its functionality was incorporated into Outlook 97. It was originally intended as a companion to Microsoft Mail, but later it was a companion to Microsoft Exchange and was part of Microsoft Office 95, and later Microsoft Exchange Client and Windows Messaging, so it was later included and developed as part of Microsoft Exchange Server, which resulted in version 7.5 of Schedule+ as part of Exchange Server 5.0. The "Outlook Calendar" that was part of Outlook for Windows 3.1 and Macintosh versions before 9.0 was actually a new version of Schedule+. In spite of being discontinued, the software, however, is still included with all versions of Microsoft Office up to Microsoft Office 2003, although it is just to support conversion from Schedule+ 1.x. It is not available in Office 2007, though was present in early test builds.

Although branded as a member of the Microsoft Office family, Microsoft Project has never been included in any of the Office suites before Office 2010 beta 1. The first version of Microsoft Kravitz was released for DOS in 1984 by a company working for Microsoft. Microsoft bought all rights to the software in 1985 and released version 2.
  • Reply 116 of 143
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Quote:

As a percentage of the general populous I think a very small number of people know about opensource office apps like openoffice.org.

The real issue with openoffice is that it comes with very little prepackaged bells & whistles. MS Office & iWork come with lots of templates & the interfaces are really much more intuitive than openoffice.org.

I'm sure many of you will disagree but we're working with a populous that in large part won't use an app that takes them more than 3 steps to get going on. People want simplicity & to date opensource is still doing a lot of catchup in this area.

I did a complete grouping of templates for OOo. It was over 144mb in size, just about 300 templates. Everyone on the forum asked for it and asked for it so I put it up on esnips. Asked to have it included as a download on the site for all to use... Is it there?

THEY know where to get the templates but most don't. Why I compiled them together and migrated each one to ODT style. I EVEN did 8 of the access templates... Rebuilt the tables, relationships, forms and reports. I think I stepped those up a notch (this was 2004 remind you) with graphics and portals.
  • Reply 117 of 143
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

From Wikipedia (more info is available on each application):

PowerPoint was initially developed in 1984 by Forethought, Inc., Sunnyvale, California, for the Macintosh computer. In 1987, Forethought was bought by Microsoft and became Microsoft's Graphics Business Unit, which continued to further develop the software.

Concepts and ideas of Word were brought from Bravo, the original GUI word processor developed at Xerox PARC.[4][5] On February 1, 1983, development on what was originally named Multi-Tool Word began. Richard Brodie renamed it Microsoft Word, and Microsoft released the program October 25, 1983, for the IBM PC.

Microsoft originally marketed a spreadsheet program called Multiplan in 1982, which became very popular on CP/M systems, but on MS-DOS systems it lost popularity to Lotus 1-2-3. Microsoft released the first version of Excel for the Mac in 1985, and the first Windows version (numbered 2.05 to line up with the Mac and bundled with a run-time Windows environment) in November 1987. Lotus was slow to bring 1-2-3 to Windows and by 1988 Excel had started to outsell 1-2-3 and helped Microsoft achieve the position of leading PC software developer.

Access version 1.0 was released in November 1992, quickly followed in May 1993 by an Access 1.1 release to improve compatibility with other Microsoft products and include the Access Basic programming language. With Office 95, Microsoft Access 95 became part of the Microsoft Office Professional Suite joining Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint and transitioning from Access Basic to Visual Basic for Applications (VBA).

Microsoft Schedule Plus (or Microsoft Schedule+, 1992) was a time-management software product by Microsoft, but was discontinued as part of Office when most of its functionality was incorporated into Outlook 97. It was originally intended as a companion to Microsoft Mail, but later it was a companion to Microsoft Exchange and was part of Microsoft Office 95, and later Microsoft Exchange Client and Windows Messaging, so it was later included and developed as part of Microsoft Exchange Server, which resulted in version 7.5 of Schedule+ as part of Exchange Server 5.0. The "Outlook Calendar" that was part of Outlook for Windows 3.1 and Macintosh versions before 9.0 was actually a new version of Schedule+. In spite of being discontinued, the software, however, is still included with all versions of Microsoft Office up to Microsoft Office 2003, although it is just to support conversion from Schedule+ 1.x. It is not available in Office 2007, though was present in early test builds.

Although branded as a member of the Microsoft Office family, Microsoft Project has never been included in any of the Office suites before Office 2010 beta 1. The first version of Microsoft Kravitz was released for DOS in 1984 by a company working for Microsoft. Microsoft bought all rights to the software in 1985 and released version 2.

Cheater...

Bonus point, where did Microsoft SQL come from and WHY couldn't they call it Microsoft SQL until 2003?

Deduct one point for using Wiki...
  • Reply 118 of 143
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mklos View Post

Maybe this will be a great OS and maybe it won't but, IMO...this is the problem with Microsoft. They think they're on top of the world and nothing can beat them. This is exactly how people/companies fail! They keep progressing slowly, doing just enough to say they did something while others are advancing their technologies significantly. It seems like he would eventually learn that Microsoft should be innovating...not sitting back and watching and then trying to copy what works. This eventually will bite them in the ass. It kind of already did with Windows Vista.

Someday maybe Microsoft investors will can his ass. As much as we all like to pick on Microsoft it would be nice to actually see them innovate now and then.

Agreed... i mean come on microsoft.. im mac all the way but if you came out with a decent product i would be glad to try it. Competition is good..
  • Reply 119 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Cheater...

Bonus point, where did Microsoft SQL come from and WHY couldn't they call it Microsoft SQL until 2003?

Deduct one point for using Wiki...

Though I used all the evolving apps since '80 (having access to them all as head of a university CS department), memory is best augmented with more reliable sources for info vs. opinion.

I do remember Sybase and Ashton-Tate being involved in the early SQL server, but don't recall why the naming delay as I'd long gone the Oracle route by then.
  • Reply 120 of 143
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Web standards take ages to finalize. Do people really think if Google wants to add a new feature to one of their web apps, and HTML5 doesn't support it, they won't just add a proprietary extension to Chrome/Chrome OS? Of course they will. In which case, if these units get too popular, Google could be the next IE/Microsoft.

You mean like Google Gears?