Microsoft stores to open near Apple's; Steve Jobs at Coldplay gig

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a not-so-subtle move, Microsoft says its retail stores will deliberately open near those run by Apple. Also, Steve Jobs has shown a rare public display of his love of music by attending a Coldplay concert, and the first Apple store in Canada's capital city is due to open this Saturday.

Microsoft retail locations to shadow Apple's

While Microsoft declared its intentions to enter the retail game and counter Apple's public image months ago, its chief operating officer Kevin Turner on Wednesday revealed just how important Apple is to its strategy: when they open in the fall, the new shops will be situated near Apple stores, not independently. A Microsoft representative eventually confirmed that at least some stores will be "in proximity" to Apple's.

Turner also emphasized that the company's stores will be as much a learning experience as centers of commerce and that it would 'share with partners' what it finds from its experience. The gesture would potentially assuage fears from PC manufacturers that also sell at retail elsewhere.

He wouldn't enter into a discussion of what the stores themselves would resemble other than to say they wouldn't copy Apple. They will instead "innovate for the long term," one attendee heard Turner mention. One clue as to Microsoft's direction might be found in the company's Retail Experience Center near its Redmond headquarters. The 20,000 square foot location has been characterized as a testbed for what the software giant would like to see for Windows PCs, Xbox 360s and Zune media players displayed at retail. Among its touches would be intelligent shopping carts that receive live data to guide customers.

Microsoft's Retail Experience Center in Redmond, a possible clue as to its eventual store design.

Mary Jo Foley of ZDNet, however, hears from her sources that the stores will be "showcases" more than they will be traditional stores. The strategy is controversial; companies like Dell and Gateway have both tried opening stores that wouldn't allow customers to carry home physical goods and were ultimately forced to shift their focus towards third-party retail.

Jobs attends Coldplay concert

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs may have been back at work two weeks ago, but his schedule has afforded him some time to relax, one roadie for Coldplay discovered for himself Tuesday night.

At a show in the Shoreline Amphitheater near San Francisco, the unnamed crew member spotted Jobs talking to TV host and celebrity news blogger Dave Holmes outside of the band's dressing room. What was discussed wasn't mentioned, but Jobs' identifiable presence was unusual; in spite of his self-professed love of music, few publicly single him out as having appeared at a given event. The roadie himself admitted that he couldn't bring himself to talk to Jobs directly.

"I suddenly [felt] like a star-struck teenager," the band help said. "In order to get the gall up to speak to the guy, I [downed] a double espresso. The mixture of caffeine buzz and feeling like a cheesy little fanboy [meant] that all I [could] manage to say to him is 'Thank you so much.' I [realised] that [I was] quite simply making a tit of myself and so [excused] myself as fast as I appeared."

Ottawa Apple store to open Saturday

Apple's drive into Canada will expand significantly when Apple Store Rideau opens its doors at 9:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

Located in the Rideau Centre in the downtown of the country's capital, the store will be Apple's tenth in Canada and the first for the province of Ontario outside of the Greater Toronto Area, where four stores already exist.

Confirmation of plans for the store first appeared in February, when job listings identified the Mac maker's plans. Construction began in earnest as of April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a not-so-subtle move, Microsoft says its retail stores will deliberately open near those run by Apple.

Shirley, you must be kidding.

This ought to drive customers to the Apple Stores and really boost sales.

I can call you Shirley. Right?
  • Reply 2 of 88
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

i

microsoft retail locations to shadow apple's

good life
  • Reply 3 of 88
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

A Microsoft representative eventually confirmed that at least some stores will be "in proximity" to Apple's.

Great news! This only makes it simpler for people to walk within proximity to compare and laugh their asses off on how different the systems work and figure out how come the kids all want Macs and the parents are stuck using Windows to keep current with work.

Please, don't forget to include 3 or 4 vendor PCs to demo Windows 7 when Snow Leopard comes out and people can test them both.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I just love it when Microsoft has to play the reactive role. It makes it so clear who's the innovator and who isn't. Can't wait for those proximal stores--nothing like the nerd trying to hang out with the cool kids. I expect M/S to downplay expectations--like the "showcase" point made in the article--to avoid the humiliatingly low sales in these stores compared to Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Let's not forget about Microsoft's first foray into retail - at the Metreon in San Francisco. I believe the banner out front said something like "Retails For Sure", but the next week I stopped by the store was boarded up.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    ("He wouldn't enter into a discussion of what the stores themselves would resemble other than to say they wouldn't copy Apple. ")

Oh no, that picture doesnt look like an apple store at all!

*rolls eyes*
  • Reply 7 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

("He wouldn't enter into a discussion of what the stores themselves would resemble other than to say they wouldn't copy Apple. ")

Oh no, that picture doesnt look like an apple store at all!

*rolls eyes*

Doesnt look like an apple store to me. My local apple store is 2 counters on each side with another counter in the middle of the back and shelves all around the outside. Looks nothing like that picture.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I'd love to see customers taking their computers to a Microsoft Genius Bar and infecting the store's system with spyware and viruses. Their IT would probably resolve to rebooting from a Linux CD.

Microsoft opening a store next to Apple's is a cancerous move for Microsoft. Microsoft's only credible weapon is XBox which doesn't run Windows.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

He wouldn't enter into a discussion of what the stores themselves would resemble other than to say they wouldn't copy Apple. They will instead "innovate for the long term," one attendee heard Turner mention.

That sounds like corporate rhetoric for "short term, we don't have a clue".

Quote:

One clue as to Microsoft's direction might be found in the company's Retail Experience Center near its Redmond headquarters. The 20,000 square foot location has been characterized as a testbed for what the software giant would like to see for Windows PCs, Xbox 360s and Zune media players displayed at retail. Among its touches would be intelligent shopping carts that receive live data to guide customers.

Someone needs to write an iPod touch app for that.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Jobs attends Coldplay concert

Oh sh*t, now he will be depressed... \
  • Reply 11 of 88
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This will only result in the same scene I saw in NorthPark Center Mall in Dallas. Apple store was full with shoppers while Dell store employees on the upper level were playing Solitaire.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    Quote:

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs may have been back at work two weeks ago, but his schedule has afforded him some time to relax, one roadie for Coldplay discovered for himself Tuesday night.

Having gone to this concert, it was on Monday night, not Tuesday night. Whoops.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    zenwaveszenwaves Posts: 92member
    Quote:

Among its touches would be intelligent shopping carts that receive live data to guide customers.

Shopping carts? Sounds classy.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    What exactly would they sell at a Microsoft store? MS Office, Zune, and xbox? Oh, and a mouse? How could they possible make money doing this?
  • Reply 15 of 88
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    And, wasn't this Burger King's strategy vis-a-vis McDonalds? I don't think that panned out too well for BK.....
  • Reply 16 of 88
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Ooooh, I bet these new Microsoft stores are going to just be packed with people who want to shop at a store where they don't really sell anything...

It seems like Steve Ballmer is willing to go to great lengths to "get even" with Apple using his shareholders' money.

Maybe they'll at least play the Monkey Boy and Developers! Developers! Developers! videos on a big screen?

• Reply 17 of 88
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What exactly would they sell at a Microsoft store? MS Office, Zune, and xbox? Oh, and a mouse? How could they possible make money doing this?

One guesses that they would be selling PCs, third-party software, and probably flat-panel TVs and monitors too.

In a weird sort of a way, you have to hand it to Microsoft for being bold enough to just brazenly copy Apple the way they do. Given the amazing success of Apple's business model, it's odd that more people don't copy them.

Anyway, we've now got Windows 7 (OS X with a Microsoft twist), coming to a Microsoft Store (Apple Store with a Microsoft twist) near you! Now that Apple is more than fighting fit, I'm looking forward to Microsoft offering better competition than they have over the last few years (Windows 7 looks like it might actually be good ) - we all stand to benefit from that.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Sometimes it’s almost like MS is being run Richard Pryor in Brewster’s Millions.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Doesnt look like an apple store to me. My local apple store is 2 counters on each side with another counter in the middle of the back and shelves all around the outside. Looks nothing like that picture.

It looks like Microsoft's version of an Apple store. In other words they took the colors and materials of a clean, simply organized Apple store and made a big complicated mess of it all.
  • Reply 20 of 88
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Will Microsoft be selling HP and Dell computers in this store? What will make this store any different from Best Buy or any other store that sells all kinds of computers?

This will fail.