Bing's share of search less than Safari's share in browsers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

Microsoft leverages a monopoly position and sells its software across every PC vendor on earth apart from Apple, so your comparison between Windows and Mac OS in terms of market share doesn't represent what you seem to think it represents. Since 2004, Apple has gone from a ~1.5% share of the PC market to what is now closer to 8%, and Apple makes far more per unit than Microsoft does--go compare Apple's earnings to Microsoft's and account for the size of the two companies.

Now compare the fact that, while Macs and Safari have both climbed dramatically since 2004 against a monopoly position, Microsoft's monopoly-leveraged, Windows-tied search business has shrunk up by almost 60%! It's getting Special Olympics-style applause for getting a blip of coverage after spending millions on ads.

Please try to keep up. The article you cite doesn't give 8% MARKET SHARE, it says "8% of unique users," another clever statistic to fool morons. A (limited) flurry of unique visitors checked Bing out in its debut month, but they did not account for a similar SHARE of SEARCHES because they weren't really looking for anything, they were just looking AT BING. Do you think that is sustainable?

Pay attention to details and you won't be so overwhelmed and impressed by the propaganda machine Microsoft's $80-100 million is buying.

Come on people aren't forced to buy windows. They choose just like you and everyone else o. This forum chose not to, just like some people choose not to use google or iPods. It's just that most people choose these products. There's nothing stopping people from buying a mac if they want to

also stop smoking rocks, apple doesn't have an 8% market share. Here some basic math windows claims to have over 1 billion users (not counting windows mobile users) and apple claimed to have 75 million users of OS X when you account for the 40 million iPod touch and iPhone users. We all know that those don't count as computers in the laptop desktop form of the word so that leaves 35 million mac users. Which is on par with reported worldwide sales of macs. People need to stop quoting net applications which only measures computers on the internet of which there are many that don't haVe Internet access.

Ps. This was sent from my iPhone which I chose to buy instead of a Microsoft device
  • Reply 42 of 48
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

MSFT makes money off xbox?? lol

Check their annual 10-K - Entertainment and Devices division is a perpetual money-loser, until finally in FYE 2008 it eeked out a $270m operating profit off $8b in revenue....ie, razor thin profit margins.

Sure, and their 2009 margins will be much better, and 2010 will be better still. The standard business practice for consoles is to lose money whilst waiting for the manufacturing cost of technology to fall.

Although Nintendo have of course broken that model with Wii.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Sure, and their 2009 margins will be much better, and 2010 will be better still. The standard business practice for consoles is to lose money whilst waiting for the manufacturing cost of technology to fall.

Although Nintendo have of course broken that model with Wii.

The XBox seems to have gotten away from MS, to put it lightly. They are and have been making money off the devices for awhile now and of course from the games, but it seems unlikely that the billions they lost will put them into the black before the console runs its course.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Here's the "naming session" in a nutshell...

"OK, we need a short, memorable name for our search service... yeah, something that just rolls off the tongue... kinda like 'Zune'... and we'd like to be able to push into the Chinese market to compete with Baidu eventually... now, what fits all of those goals...... ?"

I don't think the name is that bad. It's way better than google or yahoo!. WTF is a Pentium, iPod, google or a yahoo!? We're just used to those names and therefore think nothing of it. Bing is kind of like a bell going off signifying that your info is found or your question is answered. It's easy to say and spell which is important believe it or not.

:ibsomeonecallsmeayahoo:
  • Reply 45 of 48
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

What a bizzare analogy...wtf does does one have to do with another?

Agreed. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The XBox seems to have gotten away from MS, to put it lightly. They are and have been making money off the devices for awhile now and of course from the games, but it seems unlikely that the billions they lost will put them into the black before the console runs its course.

Disclosure: I own an Xbox 360.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but Sony is even worse off. Microsoft seems to have turned the corner on the XBox 360 while Sony is firmly in third place in console sales. The PS3 costs too much, the licenses to game developers cost too much, and Sony's game development environment is too proprietary and cumbersome, making game development even more expensive.

On the other hand, Microsoft has worked out its hardware problems, have the most popular game development kit, have more exclusives than any other console, have innovations such as Natal in the works, and have a decent library of downloadable movies that puts it withing striking distance of the AppleTV for movie rentals (yes, I know the AppleTV is better, but the Xbox 360 isn't bad in that regard). They're also providing the means to distribute full games online and they'll phase out their points system for dollar amounts for downloadable content.

In short, Microsoft has fixed their XBox 360 business model from being horribly broken in 2005 to being viable today.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    We're comparing Browsers to Search Engines now?

I know that the anti-Microsoft feeling is fairly pervasive here, but isn't this crossing a line when we're comparing, dare I say it, apples and oranges?

And I have to agree with an earlier poster, it's a little too early to judge Bing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

..I know the AppleTV is better...

It's quieter than the 360, yes and when it comes to watching movies, that is better. But I'm embarassed by the AppleTV. I find the AppleTV to be unimaginative for Apple. It can't dock with an iPod and the hard drive sizes are miserable.

Imagine being able to bring a movie or show to your friend's house by bringing your iPod or dumping it on your iPhone? Yes, you can with a cable, but that's cumbersome. You have to remember to bring it, set it up, disconnect it, bring it back... it isn't Apple.

It should be a drop in the dock, or a tray, procedure.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    princeprince Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

We're comparing Browsers to Search Engines now?

I know that the anti-Microsoft feeling is fairly pervasive here, but isn't this crossing a line when we're comparing, dare I say it, apples and oranges?

And I have to agree with an earlier poster, it's a little too early to judge Bing.

No what "we're comparing" is the degree of hype associated with a very third place search engine with the third place browser. Try to think critically, not just dismiss ideas that haven't been fed to you by corporate PR experts through repeated regurgitation by mass media PR flacks.

"And I have to agree with an earlier poster, it's a little too early to praise Bing."

There, I fixed that for you. Start talking about how amazing Bing is after it reclaims the share Microsoft lost over the past several years.