Google Voice released for Android and BlackBerry, but not iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Can anyone tell me if Google Voice allows sending of texts to groups? I do party promotions and use texting services that are rather expensive to send out a few hundred texts via SMS. If an alternative exists, that would be fantastic.

It does not... Yet.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Clearly Google's own App will have functionality beyond that of the third party GV App. Push - and maybe more. I currently have a GV Voice number and it is amazing. It's what the stupid telcos should've gave us a long time ago. But instead we got limited features for a mint. "The Works" -- anyone?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

It does not... Yet.

Too bad. I wonder if it would be possible with AppleScript?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Perhaps, it's just too good for iPhone owners. Or, perhaps, there is something really wrong with the way Apple screens which applications are good enough for you. Is the Great One still on sick leave?

You don't understand the issues. And lets leave the term "Great One" for Canadians who were too good for Canada.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Clearly Google's own App will have functionality beyond that of the third party GV App. Push - and maybe more. I currently have a GV Voice number and it is amazing. It's what the stupid telcos should've gave us a long time ago. But instead we got limited features for a mint. "The Works" -- anyone?

If telcos had any pride they'd be pretty embarrassed about their residential services in comparison to Google Voice. What changes have been made to residential voicemail in the last 15 years?

And in response do we even see the telcos trying to offer competing products? Nope. They try to get everyone from VOIP to Google shutdown in court.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    ismofamismofam Posts: 41member
    Quote:

I currently have a GV Voice number and it is amazing.

Just curious, how do you get invited to GV? Do you get to pick your own number? Thanks
  • Reply 27 of 31
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

If telcos had any pride they'd be pretty embarrassed about their residential services in comparison to Google Voice. What changes have been made to residential voicemail in the last 15 years? And in response do we even see the telcos trying to offer competing products? Nope. They try to get everyone from VOIP to Google shutdown in court.

The exact same path the RIAA took with digital music. Eventually these dinosaurs will die off if they don't innovate. But, they'll use a scorched-Earth strategy and try to kill any innovation first.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

Just curious, how do you get invited to GV? Do you get to pick your own number? Thanks

you can request an invite at google.com/voice

You get to pick from a pool of numbers. They have a tool that let's you check for "vanity" numbers you might like to have - like your name.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

AT&T will slam down this app. Google could open source it, and then wham! distribute on Cydia.

I wouldn't be surprised to see other carriers slam the door on the service too. Just because you are free to install it on a Bberry or WinMB device doesn't mean your carrier will allow the service.

The good news is that if they start banning it they are very likely to face some serious class action lawsuits from people, which hopefully will in turn end the ridiculous price gouging on texting.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

You don't understand the issues. And lets leave the term "Great One" for Canadians who were too good for Canada.

Gold medal baste

• Reply 31 of 31
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,401member
    I hope Apple would be happy to release this to any carrier that wants to support it, around the world. Already they've shown some of this willingness with MMS & Tethering.

Also, making certain features work via wifi is a way to get this started.

I'm hoping the next iPod Touch will have speaker/microphone, so it can be a VoIP phone.