Analyst urges selling an "ebbing" Microsoft's stock

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

but..MS is innovating for the future and they will have stores next door to Apple's and everything!

Clearly, when this analyst finds out, he will revise his predictions.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phormic View Post

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Mahatma Ghandi

Damn. I've seen some lame and inappropriate quotes pop up in forums, but this might be the most cringe-worthy. Which corporate computer vendor are you comparing to Ghandi?
  • Reply 23 of 80
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwervel16 View Post

Damn. I've seen some lame and inappropriate quotes pop up in forums, but this might be the most cringe-worthy. Which corporate computer vendor are you comparing to Ghandi?

I don't think he is "comparing" any company to Ghandi. I don't think that's the purpose of quoting anyone.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

In regards to the iPhone and the B&M Apple Stores it actually fits pretty well.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS has no threat of losing their majority dominance with their OS.

I disagree. Mobile OS's will knock MS off the throne pretty darn rapidly IMO. By rapidly I mean the next 4 or 5 years.

There is not much they can do about it, it is written.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Although I am in no position to present particulars at the moment, my gut reaction is to strongly disagree with this analyst's assessment.

One may look at my posting history, although I have said nice things about Office 2008 for Mac, I do not sing Microsoft's praises and you are all free to call me nuts...

But I just don't see Microsoft, or its stock, going down any time soon. I think that while Microsoft still has a lot to learn about how things have changed, they have learned a bit more than he would seem to believe and we'll see part of it before year's end.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I disagree. Mobile OS's will knock MS off the throne pretty darn rapidly IMO. By rapidly I mean the next 4 or 5 years.

There is not much they can do about it, it is written.

Media-rich phones with real internet access are growing and will be growing at a phenomenal rate, so if we count each OS at a on-to-one ratio then they does seem possible. However, but we really shouldn?t be considering anything but MS desktop OS to other desktop OSes and their mobile OS to other mobile OSes.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    I'd hardly call Microsoft an early software pioneer - they were rather late, the foundations of software were well established long before MS came along (same applies to Apple actually) and a copier rather than pioneer.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

I'd hardly call Microsoft an early software pioneer - they were rather late, the foundations of software were well established long before MS came along (same applies to Apple actually) and a copier rather than pioneer.

What do you consider early software pioneers of personal computing, which is what we are talking about. Please don’t say it’s punch cards!
  • Reply 30 of 80
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

However, but we really shouldn’t be considering anything but MS desktop OS to other desktop OSes and their mobile OS to other mobile OSes.

Why? they are one and the same, least they will be, the line is already blurry and it will only get blurrier.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phormic View Post

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Mahatma Ghandi

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't think he is "comparing" any company to Ghandi. I don't think that's the purpose of quoting anyone.

Not to sound nitpicky, but the correct spelling, and the resulting appropriate pronunciation, is Gandhi (an aspirated soft 'd' sound). It's a fairly important distinction (e.g., just as one might typically not pronounce SJ's name as, say, Stefan Jobs).
  • Reply 32 of 80
    snofoamsnofoam Posts: 5member
    if you watch actual user behavior of the average person using windows, it's kind of amazing. i was just at a two-day management offsite where the facilitator was closing antivirus notification pop-ups every 5 minutes for two days. a) the user experience sucks and b) people have a remarkably high tolerance for putting up with it. at least until they experience the alternative.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

In regards to the iPhone and the B&M Apple Stores it actually fits pretty well.

Only you would think that. Are you reestablishing Jonestown or an Apple facsimile of it?
  • Reply 34 of 80
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    I'm confused. They said Vista was a bad product but they kept calling Microsoft stock a safe bet and now with Windows 7 being arguably the biggest and most hyped release since Windows 95, they are telling people to sell the stock? ARE THEY HIGH?

I mean, I would fully understand if they were to downgrade MS stock when Vista came out, but even if you are a diehard Apple fan, you've got to realize that Microsoft is on the up and up in their core business (stuff on the side is ONLY to support their core business). Regardless if other divisions are loosing money, an investor MUST look long term if they want to come out better in the end. For example, the Entertainment Division has lost $4 BILLION dollars from the Xbox, however, they've successfully dethroned Sony as the leader in core gaming market. The Zune HD is already turning heads and it's not even released yet. Microsoft's ad campaign is the best it's had in YEARS.

Just saying, listening to people give out financial advice is probably how we got into this silly 18 month recession in the first place.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

<Burns laugh> Hehehe... Exxxcelllent! </Burns laugh>

<point>HA HA!</point>
  • Reply 36 of 80
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Redmond hasn't done a single thing right since Bill Gates retired and Steve (the fratboy/Bozo) Ballmer took the helm.

I shorted MS last month and am delighted analysts are now following my put.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

All good things do come to an end.

And Microsoft also.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I'm confused. They said Vista was a bad product but they kept calling Microsoft stock a safe bet and now with Windows 7 being arguably the biggest and most hyped release since Windows 95, they are telling people to sell the stock? ARE THEY HIGH?

I mean, I would fully understand if they were to downgrade MS stock when Vista came out, but even if you are a diehard Apple fan, you've got to realize that Microsoft is on the up and up in their core business (stuff on the side is ONLY to support their core business). Regardless if other divisions are loosing money, an investor MUST look long term if they want to come out better in the end. For example, the Entertainment Division has lost $4 BILLION dollars from the Xbox, however, they've successfully dethroned Sony as the leader in core gaming market. The Zune HD is already turning heads and it's not even released yet. Microsoft's ad campaign is the best it's had in YEARS.

Just saying, listening to people give out financial advice is probably how we got into this silly 18 month recession in the first place.

You don't understand the market at all.

If you wait for an obvious downturn like you say, you will already have lost some value and are in danger of losing your shirt if the downturn is rapid. What this guy is saying is that there is a long slow decline ahead and that the time to get out is now, before everyone else does. i.e. - get out *before* you lose money.

I would predict that Windows 7 will be a minor hit and the stock might even rise on that performance, but in real terms it's not going to solve any of the problems that are contributing to the long decline. Even as windows 7 is getting good reviews this Christmas, the smart money will be moving away from Microsoft at exactly that time for exactly those reasons. the following summer people will start to wonder why if Windows 7 was such a hit, that the stock is still declining, but I bet it will decline all the same.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Microsoft hasn't been able to "react swiftly" to anything since 2001. Like, who are we kidding, they've become the budget brand of the industry. And they've done it all to themselves.

They simply don't give a sweet damn about the user experience. Never have. And we're slowly entering a reality where Microsoft will become less and less of a force in its respective markets.

It's a slow affair, like an old man easing into a bathtub. MS' licensing cash cow will still give plenty of milk for years to come.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I unloaded all my MSFT about two years ago when I came to the conclusion that Microsoft has no clear idea about what it wants to be or where it wants to go and Ballmer is all bravado and hot air whose only qualification to be MSFT's CEO is that he was Bill Gate's college buddy.

To date, I have no regrets about dumping that turdly stock.