Apple, RIM profit margins far exceed market share

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

The people who run Nokia are not overpaid dummies like Moto... when thing go wrong they change management. I do think they are a little bit too arrogant and smug. For years, they + Ericsson were in denial regarding the CDMA and even WCDMA tech... then they lost in court. They created UMTS/WCDMA just to dilute QCOM IPRs. However, the UMTS/WCDMA tech is defective and that is one of the reasons that ATT has some difficulty with its network.

This is so far from the truth it is hard to know where to start. but anyway, UMTS works fine. It is funny how every other UMTS network in the world works great except for AT&T's. Just face it. AT&T just has crap coverage, there is nothing complicated about it. QCOM are a bunch of patent trolls and were getting their ass kicked in court for years, plus most of their CDMA patents were already expiring. It is no wonder they suddenly made friends with everyone else.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

But the $400 subsidy for the iPhone? I thought that was debunked and the real subsidy is only $200-250...

Go to Apple's SEC filings: divide their iphone revenue by the number of iphones sold --- and you will get more than $600+ per iphone.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

This is so far from the truth it is hard to know where to start. but anyway, UMTS works fine. It is funny how every other UMTS network in the world works great except for AT&T's. Just face it. AT&T just has crap coverage, there is nothing complicated about it. QCOM are a bunch of patent trolls and were getting their ass kicked in court for years, plus most of their CDMA patents were already expiring. It is no wonder they suddenly made friends with everyone else.

AT&T isn't that bad --- they offer the largest iphone data allowance (not counting Canada's Roger's time limited special 6 GB iphone plan) and AT&T has the third fastest 3G iphone speed in the world (wired.com survey).

Qualcomm is doing fine --- they WON the war. Qualcomm is larger than Nokia, Ericsson, Texas Instrument, Broadcom, Seimens, Alcatel-Lucent. Their CDMA patents may be expiring, that's why Qualcomm bought Flarion for their Flash-OFDM patents that are essential for LTE.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I vaguely recall from a previous discussion that AI does not get ads from Apple. So they have to rely on non-Apple sources.

Can someone confirm this?

If this is true, it is stupid (and spiteful) on Apple's part.

Yep, your correct, from what Kasper said, they even try to bully the advertisers they do get.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

The people who run Nokia are not overpaid dummies like Moto... when thing go wrong they change management. I do think they are a little bit too arrogant and smug. For years, they + Ericsson were in denial regarding the CDMA and even WCDMA tech... then they lost in court. They created UMTS/WCDMA just to dilute QCOM IPRs. However, the UMTS/WCDMA tech is defective and that is one of the reasons that ATT has some difficulty with its network.

• Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

• Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Oh, in that case (and as an example), the NYTs and WSJs of the world must have no journalistic integrity at all?

Haha no they don't
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

AT&T isn't that bad --- they offer the largest iphone data allowance (not counting Canada's Roger's time limited special 6 GB iphone plan) and AT&T has the third fastest 3G iphone speed in the world (wired.com survey).

That still doesn't have anything to do with their network quality. All I ever hear about with AT&T is how often the calls are dropped and the number of places where there is no signal.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

If the NYT wrote ONLY (or at least primarily) about the Ford company it would certainly be a conflict of interest to accept ads from Ford. Do you really disagree?

Do you really think that using WSJ or NYT as a counter example is accurate? Clearly a newspaper that writes about just about everything can't not accept ads from companies that it covers. But AI? Cmon, you can't really think that counter example is accurate can you?

I think you're making too big a deal of it. Perhaps it is just that I am less cynical than you are, but just as I would not expect AI to be anti-Apple if, say, Apple had blacklisted AI, I would not expect it to be pro-Apple if it accepted Apple ads.

That said, I was simply pointing to recalling a mention from someone - and as MissionGrey recalls above, it could have been from Kasper himself - that Apple had refused to advertise on AI. (I recall he had hinted that AI was being blacklisted for some reason, but I could be wrong about that - I wish I could find the link!)

Perhaps we can ask AI directly: Kasper et. al, if Apple were to offer to place ads on your site, would you say 'yes''? If so, don't you think it will be perceived as impacting your journalistic integrity?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

That still doesn't have anything to do with their network quality. All I ever hear about with AT&T is how often the calls are dropped and the number of places where there is no signal.

Because everything is RELATIVE.

AT&T is being compared with THE NETWORK (aka Verizon Wireless).
  • Reply 31 of 38
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The point of the article is that Apple and RIM don't sell the most phones but they make most of the money.

Quote:

Verizon sold more LG Voyagers than AT&T selling the original iphone.

• Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

That said, I was simply pointing to recalling a mention from someone - and as MissionGrey recalls above, it could have been from Kasper himself - that Apple had refused to advertise on AI. (I recall he had hinted that AI was being blacklisted for some reason, but I could be wrong about that - I wish I could find the link!)

I think they had a story that leaked some unreleased details and kasper was call up for trial, to disclose the leaker, but the court decided he had journalistic immunity and that pissed apple off.

I think apple views sites like this as both a positive and negative so they have not desire to encourage them.

Also when it comes to leaks they go all out to stop them, which is understandable, especially when your products are the leading edge, when they put all they work into research and development the last think they want is employees who will sell to the highest bidder.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

So does this mean that (outside of the US) Nokia isn't selling as many smart phones as they used to? What does this mean long-term for other handset manufacturers? I wonder what HTC's share of profits is...

Nokia are selling more smartphones now than they ever have - 17 million a quarter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

So they do not make $200 from the sale of a blackberry?

Yes, RIM make $200 in revenue not profit on every device sold. RIM make its "massive profits" from servers + subscription services, not hardware sales as AI incorrectly suggests.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

That's because the only people who talk are the people who are there to complain. The 70 million (or whatever) paying customers they have aren't paying them out of the kindness of their hearts.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Really? A Palm Pre advertisement on the page? What a waste. If I was interested in the Pre, I'd be at the palminsider website (as if).

Palminsider, Appleinsider; are these sites are about cutting edge botany?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Just catching this? I guess you weren't around for the Zune ads.

To hell with the ads, we weren't even around for the actual Zunes.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Cellphones are commodities. iPhones and Blackberry are necessity. And iPhone is sexy, an aphrodisiac, a luxury, who-is-who product.

And all the above brings money, a lot of money. And more money means great profit. BMW sells less than 10% of GM, but while GM filed for Bankruptcy, BMW is awash in cash. That is the difference between quality and quantity.

Nokia is in every country in the world selling cheap cellphones to everybody. Apple of course is for the select few who are willing to pay for the best.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Cellphones are commodities. iPhones and Blackberry are necessity. And iPhone is sexy, an aphrodisiac, a luxury, who-is-who product.

Necessity is necessity. Luxury is luxury.

By definition, the iphone can't be a necessity AND a luxury at the same time.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

Go to Apple's SEC filings: divide their iphone revenue by the number of iphones sold --- and you will get more than $600+ per iphone.