Blockbuster iPhone 3GS sales resulting in constrained inventories

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    I think that Apple's doing a wonderful job. Keep it there!
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

They screwed us over in Canada too.

All the fido stores (even the big ones) got exactly 30 units on the first day. They have had maybe two or three units each in the last month. I've been waiting for over a month on a list just to get one.

Ironically, (stupidly?) the Apple store downtown has lots, but they won't sell them to you unless you are a new customer with fido or Rogers. All of us that are already 3G owners have to wait.

And wait, and wait...

Someone should get fired for how they've handled the inventory on this release. This is something Apple is famous for doing better than any other company, but the 3GS release is *not* good at all in this respect.

To think I thought that the iphone 3GS launch was the best iPhone launch to date.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Yes I jumped aboard with the 3GS as well - 32 gigs of RAM is finally enough to hold a full TV season, a film or two plus enough music to last a business trip, AND Safari is now just about as fast as on a MacBook via WiFi. This thing's a beast.

The next point release of iPhone OS just needs to address battery life (profiles would be good, kicking in location services or 3G only when needed - for example, switch off 3G when WiFi is available automatically).

Nice phone...
  • Reply 24 of 35
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Any word on the latest round of iPhone killers?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Any word on the latest round of iPhone killers?

Oh no. They were all killed by the 3GS. Apparently they were too slow to catch up with it.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I haven't seen any shortages in the UK. Everyone I know who wanted one has got one without any problem.

I assume Apple over-estimated demand in the UK and that O2's ridiculous pricing is putting people off. I can't wait for the other carriers to carry it so that there's a bit of competition.

Very true, the demand for the 3GS seems to be below expectations in these parts, and I attribute much of that to the high price O2 has set - particularly on the Pay/Go tariff which is infinitely more popular over here than in, say, America. Certainly, I anticipate no significant problems getting a hold of mine on Friday.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    The 16GB 3GS sold by Telenor here is priced exactly the same as the 16GB 3G, while the 32GB is about $165 higher. It doesn't seem so bad though I am not sure how it fare with offerings from the other countries. Their stock is so constrained that it's availability is unconfirmed until pretty much next month.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Demand in the UK seems to have increased this week. O2 and Carphone Warehouse haven't got any - online for sure and apparently almost definitely instore. Apple seems to have stock both in the Retail Stores and Online, but Online is reporting 5 Business Day shipping waits (Although anecdotally is still actually deliverign next day - your mileage therefore may vary) and the Retail Stores still seem to expect demand to outstrip supply, necessitating checking stock the night before you buy and arriving as early as possible.

Once again, this is a recent development, stocks seemed fairly healthy even at the start of this week.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Wait... Blockbuster is selling the iPhone now? \

• Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can see that as a legitimate confusion.

That's quite a laundry list. It will happen, it will just be slow in coming.

Just about every computer has a camera in it how. How many people video conference? It seems like a BS technology where people say it's important but nobody actually uses it when they have the opportunity.

I'm not sure how that would work given the culture. Besides, I really don't think outside governments should be doing that, that would reduce the apparent legitimacy and cause unforseen complications. It really has to be "grass-roots" or else it's not going to stick.

+1. Look at now. Now when there's video recording, some people say they do not need it and it is a "minor" feature. Before that with the 3G, everyone was complaining about lack of video recording. Video conferencing is so last year and really quite unnecessary IMO.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Wait... Blockbuster is selling the iPhone now? \

Maybe...
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

Well people can decide to patiently wait now for an iPhone or they can be patient with the sub standard OSs on other phones. :-P

Yup. I bet people will do the former.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Yes I jumped aboard with the 3GS as well - 32 gigs of RAM is finally enough to hold a full TV season, a film or two plus enough music to last a business trip, AND Safari is now just about as fast as on a MacBook via WiFi. This thing's a beast.

The next point release of iPhone OS just needs to address battery life (profiles would be good, kicking in location services or 3G only when needed - for example, switch off 3G when WiFi is available automatically).

Nice phone...

+1. I love my 3GS, but I'm 100% sure the 4th gen iPhone will be way better. Apple's iPhone ad-> The new iPhone 3GS, the best and fastest iPhone YET.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Well I don't know about anyone elses's mileage, but I got a hold of my hite 32GB iPhone 3GS today. Seems like Rgent Street is the best bet in the UK.

PS: Best phone ever.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Well I don't know about anyone elses's mileage, but I got a hold of my hite 32GB iPhone 3GS today. Seems like Rgent Street is the best bet in the UK.

PS: Best phone ever.

Nice! Same phone as me! White 32GB 3GS FTW!