Apple suggests App Store redesign in the works

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Agreed.

Tim Cook didn't get it. He apparently does NOT understand why there is a race to the bottom in iPhone app prices. In my view, its because there is no way to try an app before purchasing and one of the very few ways to show up on a top sales list is for it to be free or close to it.

If they add a try before you buy and better ways to find apps, it may halt the slide to zero.

As it is, the business models that work for developers are free apps that are ad supported or which upsell based on a fee website, desktop application or service.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Here's for hoping for a previewing of an App itself before purchasing.

Dev has been giving "lite" versions of their apps for preview and tryouts, free. The new promo codes also helps. Ultimately, success will occur thru word of mouth until iTune store is renovated. Everyone, especially apple, has been suprised by the huge number of Apps and DLs.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    When did Tim Cook become Chief Executive? Is this an error?
  • Reply 43 of 56
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Ban anyone who spells "that" as "dat" or "with" as "wit" or "da" for "the" or "these" as "des", when reviewing an app.

How about all the people who say an app is fantastic, then somehow manage to give it 1 star??
  • Reply 44 of 56
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Hopefully an App Genius would be smarter than the village idiot of the music "genius". The results I was getting from the so-called genius were laughable at best. Although, with far fewer apps than songs, it might have better luck.

Here is the danger with suggestion features - you can't possibly hope to please everyone. I find the genius feature to be a great one and I use it constantly. Sometimes the negative press outweighs the positives, tho - Tivo got beat up pretty hard over their suggestion feature and most of it was totally ridiculous since the feature didn't impact regular usage of the DVR - it was strictly optional. But it got blown totally out of proportion.

Now, just think about tying recommendations to applications that affect the profit of developers. Think that will be the tiniest bit politicized?

Sigh - I think it's a great idea, I just wonder what's in it for Apple to do it With music, at least the Genius is making recommendations based on what you own so Apple doesn't have to worry about "slighting" someone. Just look at what happened to Amazon over the missing gay/lesbian book recommendations that turned out to be a programming mistake.

Quote:

Trial periods for Apps would be great! Make it just like shareware applications: time limits or limit the number of launches.

As somene else mentioned, Microsoft with the demo mode in the Xbox Live Arcade is the model to copy. It's great - one of the conditions to being in the live marketplace is you have to have a demo mode available, and there is an in game process to upgrade to the full version. It works perfect and is very well done.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I think [an App Store Genius feature is] a great idea, I just wonder what's in it for Apple to do it With music, at least the Genius is making recommendations based on what you own

Well, yeah, but the problem I see with this is that, except perhaps with games, you are likely looking for Apps that are unlike what you own, so while this might work for games, I don't see how they would anticipate what you are looking for when you are looking for non-game apps.

I mean, if I own a to do list app, some location based apps, a couple of music apps and a bunch of games, but now I need an image manipulation app, how would the Genius feature make recommendations? Other than going by ratings, which doesn't require a genius, I'm not sure what this would consist of.

So, a games Genius feature might make sense, but not for much else (well, perhaps ebooks) I think.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Dev has been giving "lite" versions of their apps for preview and tryouts, free. The new promo codes also helps. Ultimately, success will occur thru word of mouth until iTune store is renovated. Everyone, especially apple, has been suprised by the huge number of Apps and DLs.

I know Apple doesn't want to allow an app that needs to be "upgraded" later... but as you say devs just make 2 apps now - the free "lite" version and the full version.

Perhaps Apple could allow a trial version within an app, but make certain provisos (eg: perhaps they don't like apps which disable after 5 uses, but a functional "lite" version is acceptable).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

How about all the people who say an app is fantastic, then somehow manage to give it 1 star??

Yeah, the app store review process has 5 stars on the left, and 1 star on the right. They should flip that around to start with, to match people's expectations.

Perhaps the feedback link for a review could allow for "comments don't match ratings".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

the problem I see with [an app Genius] is that, except perhaps with games, you are likely looking for Apps that are unlike what you own, so while this might work for games, I don't see how they would anticipate what you are looking for when you are looking for non-game apps.<snip>

This is one of those great thoughts that makes so much sense once you read it, but is easy to miss when the suggestion is first raised.

I wonder if they could make a different kind of Genius though?

For example, they could notice the searches people make for apps - and correlate apps which commonly come up together during searches. "People who searched for this app were also offered......". Take it further and if I actually read the descriptions of 3 apps during any given search, then correlate those apps more strongly together. So later if I look up any app I can click on "show related apps".

Perhaps we could have a "staying power" rating too. Could the iPhone report to Apple which apps are used often and steadily, in contrast to a short burst and deleted?
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Perhaps Apple could allow a trial version within an app, but make certain provisos (eg: perhaps they don't like apps which disable after 5 uses, but a functional "lite" version is acceptable).

They could easily allow for the developer to choose the upgrade-to-full-version path from within the app. After all, there is already provision for in-game purchases now, so it's not a huge leap to the idea of full version upgrades based on usage, number of launches, or simply a button that a user may press to upgrade to the full unlimited version at any point.

Quote:

Yeah, the app store review process has 5 stars on the left, and 1 star on the right. They should flip that around to start with, to match people's expectations.

It does? As far as I've seen, it's a drop-down menu...?

Quote:

I wonder if they could make a different kind of Genius though?

I think it could work. If they base it on comparing your app habits with other people with similar habits, then they could recommend apps that people like you have, but you don't. In the same way that I usually ask my friends what apps they have that I might like.

I also think there's some promise in the idea that you could "share" apps with friends... At its most simple, just a link that is sent/emailed to a friend which takes them to that particular app in the app store. That way Apple would also be able to track which apps are popular in terms of sharing.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I also think there's some promise in the idea that you could "share" apps with friends... At its most simple, just a link that is sent/emailed to a friend which takes them to that particular app in the app store. That way Apple would also be able to track which apps are popular in terms of sharing.

There is a "Tell a Friend" link on each app description page that does just this.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There is a "Tell a Friend" link on each app description page that does just this.

I think it needs to be an option on the phone rather than the store for it to work well.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    I think the app store is one of the main reasons why Apple CANNOT create an iPhone with a bigger screen. I really hope that the screen can be increased to a 4". With that said, is it possible to run current apps on a 4" screen?
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amyli View Post

Apple App Store 1.5 billion downloads, 65000 applications

Google Android Market 5000 applications

RIM Blackberry App World 1000 applications

Nokia Ovi Store 2000 applications

----------------------------

App Store much exceed other competitor. I expect Apple's future is better because of App store's attraction and iPod touch's wifi phone. But I consider it is appropriate Apple disturb App Store.

BTW, I recommend favorite Mac video & DVD tool - iFunia, http://www.ifunia.com

Bear in mind that the other 3 App Stores are still in their relatively early stages and can increase suddenly, especially RIM, Android and 1 most important OS app store that you missed out, the WebOS app store. Sure, Apple's app store is till the best IMO but more has to be done to keep up their high standards.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

I think the app store is one of the main reasons why Apple CANNOT create an iPhone with a bigger screen. I really hope that the screen can be increased to a 4". With that said, is it possible to run current apps on a 4" screen?

Why couldn't Apple create an iPhone with a bigger screen?
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:

Why couldn't Apple create an iPhone with a bigger screen?

That's why. I don't understand why they cannot do it.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:

That's why. I don't understand why they cannot do it.

"Why can't they create an iPhone with a bigger screen"

"That's why"

huh
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:

The iPhone/iPod touch is NOT locked into the current 320 x 480 screen resolution. I'm not sure of the specifics, but the entire OS is fully scaleable and allows for different screen resolutions. There may be bitmap graphics in some apps that would need to be scaled up to support higher screen resolutions.

What those resolutions may be we won't know until Apple releases a larger device (tablet, pad, whatever). OR if Apple ever decides to allow iPhone/iPod touch platform apps able to run on the TV or the Mac (either through iTunes or some sort of Mac Classic type of scheme). I'm betting on that happening eventually.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

The iPhone/iPod touch is NOT locked into the current 320 x 480 screen resolution. I'm not sure of the specifics, but the entire OS is fully scaleable and allows for different screen resolutions. There may be bitmap graphics in some apps that would need to be scaled up to support higher screen resolutions.

What those resolutions may be we won't know until Apple releases a larger device (tablet, pad, whatever). OR if Apple ever decides to allow iPhone/iPod touch platform apps able to run on the TV or the Mac (either through iTunes or some sort of Mac Classic type of scheme). I'm betting on that happening eventually.

+1!

Quote:

"Why can't they create an iPhone with a bigger screen"

"That's why"

huh

I mean to repeat my statement made about why the iPhone's screen cannot be increased by 0.5 inch / more. A bigger screeen would be a nice touch IMO.