Hack can open up iPhone to push messaging exploit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HipPriest View Post

One look at the headline and summary and I thought this must be another hack-job by "Prince McLean". And sure enough. He missed his calling as a propaganda writer... Wait, actually he found it.

I'm a bit lost and perhaps you will think I'm silly for not knowing that. Is "Prince McLean" = Daniel Eran Dilger?

If so, then I can understand so many thinks
  • Reply 22 of 65
    princeprince Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HipPriest View Post

One look at the headline and summary and I thought this must be another hack-job by "Prince McLean". And sure enough. He missed his calling as a propaganda writer... Wait, actually he found it.

What's interesting is how in a relatively isolated community like AppleInsider these editorials and the respondents, who seem to only get their information from Apple fan sites, create a sort of feedback loop of misinformation. If you always preach to the choir or are a member of the choir, pretty soon any information from the real world looks so bizarre and out of place that you can justify any crazy position, such as "those evil EFF scum, how dare they question our sainted Apple!"

Please present what you think is factually wrong in this article.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    I'm a little surprised by this article. Normally, Appleinsider is a great place for straight-forward news regarding Apple and related industry stories. Its not normally the place for opinion pieces spliced in with some facts.

While I agree that people shouldn't blame Apple when they use their devices in a way that is not intended and find certain features broken, the information in this article implies that *ALL* iPhones that have been jailbroken have the tendency to break the security layers of the handset, and break PNS.

The only affected iPhones that are experiencing these problems are those that were not officially activated through iTunes on Apple's servers. This basically means that "legitimate" customers, anyone who has an active iPhone service plan on an approved network, will be able to generate the proper certificates for their device and activate Push Notification. iPhones that were activated OUTSIDE iTunes, "illegitimate" users, did not generate the proper certificates on Apple's server for their device, and thus cannot utilize Push Notification.

Apple could better solve this issue by allowing "hacktivated" devices the chance to register on their servers regardless of whether or not they have an active iPhone plan. I happened to test whether or not my old iPhone 3G (legitimately activated) would receive notifications if the SIM card were removed, and it DOES effortlessly, similar to an iPod Touch. So the capability is there, and the phone behavior is there.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

I wouldn't consider the article "factually wrong," however there is a bit of misinformation. Jailbreaking the iPhone doesn't inherently break Apple's security regarding push notification -- Its only if you try to activate the phone outside of iTunes to use an unofficial carrier sim after a fresh restore do you experience the problem.

I am running my old iPhone 3G and the new 3GS jailbroken, and have not recieved any unintended notifications nor am I worried.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:

In Spain there is said "a half truth is worse than a lie".

"Dev team hackers trying to get jailbroken phones to work with PNS made the mistake of adding an existing certificate to "fix" the problem".

Yes this is partially true, but it refers no to jailbroken phones but jailbreaked + hacktivated iPhones.

Si, it's not factually wrong but it's not the true. Perhaps because you didn't know it.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Fug 'em.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

This basically means that "legitimate" customers, anyone who has an active iPhone service plan on an approved network

And also factory unlocked iPhones like Italian ones on any network with or without service plan.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Apple's PR department can defend Apple regarding this issue. AppleInsider doesn't need too.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    princeprince Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

While I agree that people shouldn't blame Apple when they use their devices in a way that is not intended and find certain features broken, the information in this article implies that *ALL* iPhones that have been jailbroken have the tendency to break the security layers of the handset, and break PNS.

Actually, the article says "Destroying the application security layer of the iPhone does not itself automatically break PNS, but results in the system having no legitimate certificates to use in performing push notifications."

So no, there is no 'implication' that jailbreaking the iPhone breaks PNS automatically, and instead the opposite is true.

Also, jailbreaking = breaking application-signing security. Without that, there is no effective security on the phone. So yes, jailbreaking does "has the tendency to break the security layers," as that is its explicit purpose. You have to break the security system to install your own or third party, non-security signed code. That's what jailbreaking means.

Quote:

The only affected iPhones that are experiencing these problems are those that were not officially activated through iTunes on Apple's servers. This basically means that "legitimate" customers, anyone who has an active iPhone service plan on an approved network, will be able to generate the proper certificates for their device and activate Push Notification. iPhones that were activated OUTSIDE iTunes, "illegitimate" users, did not generate the proper certificates on Apple's server for their device, and thus cannot utilize Push Notification.

If you think this is an important distinction, I can add clarification to the article. The reality is that this issue is being reported almost everywhere else as being a security problem Apple is responsible for. This article is indicating that the issue is related to improperly copied security certificates, rather than those generated as part of a 'normal' activation.

Quote:

Apple could better solve this issue by allowing "hacktivated" devices the chance to register on their servers regardless of whether or not they have an active iPhone plan. I happened to test whether or not my old iPhone 3G (legitimately activated) would receive notifications if the SIM card were removed, and it DOES effortlessly, similar to an iPod Touch. So the capability is there, and the phone behavior is there.

Yes, it requires generating the appropriate certificates, and the installation of a SIM card forces the iPhone to tie activation of push to activation of service. Expecting Apple to develop unique technology to enable push activation separately from service activation is part of the reason why it is not in the interests of the company to support "unanticipated uses." At the same time, Apple has several reasons to support "alternative activation," one being the desire to get grey market phones into China.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

I have explained, perhaps you have missed it.

You need a fake certificate only to activate an iPhone in a carrier in which it can't be activated.

If you jailbreak a legally activated iPhone you actually are using your original certificate created when you activated it through iTunes

Dude, just asking for clarification you know?

Prince specifically states:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince

Destroying the application security layer of the iPhone does not itself automatically break PNS, but results in the system having no legitimate certificates to use in performing push notifications. Essentially, the user's credentials for signing into Apple's PNS messaging servers, which are generated by the device itself in normal conditions, are broken along with the application security layer.

Which I take to mean that the apps installed (AIM etc.) have no legitimate security certificates. This makes sense to me given that the majority of apps on jailbroken phones are illegal apps (not obtained through the app store or by paying for them), so they most likely don't have the right certificates.

So, you are saying that in this situation notifications will still work if the iPhone is not "hacktivated"? Or are you in agreement with this but standing on the hopeful idea that jailbroken phones *aren't* full of stolen apps most of the time?
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Dude, just asking for clarification you know?

Prince specifically states:

Destroying the application security layer of the iPhone does not itself automatically break PNS, but results in the system having no legitimate certificates to use in performing push notifications.

Which I take to mean that the apps installed (AIM etc.) have no legitimate security certificates. This makes sense to me given that the majority of apps on jailbroken phones are illegal apps (not obtained through the app store or by paying for them), so they most likely don't have the right certificates.

So, you are saying that in this situation notifications will still work if the iPhone is not "hacktivated"? Or are you in agreement with this but standing on the hopeful idea that jailbroken phones *aren't* full of stolen apps most of the time?

Ups, I have missed that part, " but results in the system having no legitimate certificates to use in performing push notifications".

This it's factually wrong, jailbreaking an iPhone to run unsigned code doesn't eliminate legitimate certificates, they're there to use with Apple servers. If you only jailbreak the phone you can't use it. It must be activated through iTunes and then you will have legitimate certificates or you have to hacktivate it outside iTunes and is the latets which will have the PNS problems, not the former.

So, if you jailbreak the iPhone and the you use iTunes to activate it, PNS will work as intended.

Ah, I have jailbroken my iPhone and I don't have any pirated application, I just jailbroken it to use SBSettings.

PS. And yes, anyone who blames Apple for that problem it's wrong or is malicious, it's not Apple fault. If you fake your MAC address and try to jion a network with this address you will have problems, but it's not fault of the device maker, it's youtr fault for faking it.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, it is not yet clear exactly what causes the issue,

All speculation aside...
  • Reply 33 of 65
    robb1068robb1068 Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Any links to articles blaming Apple for this issue? You can usually tell when Dan has his kool-aid hat on when he sites stories or sources attacking Apple and then doesn't provide any links.

I've seen this story published in a variety of places, including the original story at Crunchgear http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/21...locked-phones/ and have yet to see anyone suggest this is Apple's fault.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienvenom View Post

This article is biased.

Jailbreaking is not the issue here, it's what people do with it. Simply jailbreaking the phone is not a guarantee to break the PNS.

I believe that there's a certain level of uncertainty in jailbreaking the phone (i.e. not knowing which software modifications were done) but that should not translate to: do not jailbreak otherwise you will break PNS.

Funny how that all of the reports surrounding the PNS relate to the AIM application, but not the various Twitter apps that support push, Beejive, or any of the others?

How's this? Instead of blaming Apple or people who have jailbroken their phones, I blame AOL.

biased? how so.. it says "Destroying the application security layer of the iPhone does not itself automatically break PNS, but (when combined with an "unofficial activation" required to use it with unofficial service providers) results in the system having no legitimate certificates to use in performing push notifications. Essentially, if the phone is not properly activated as intended through iTunes, the user's credentials for signing into Apple's PNS messaging servers (which are generated by the device itself in normal conditions) are broken along with the application security layer."
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

biased? how so.. it says "Destroying the application security layer of the iPhone does not itself automatically break PNS, but (when combined with an "unofficial activation" required to use it with unofficial service providers) results in the system having no legitimate certificates to use in performing push notifications. Essentially, if the phone is not properly activated as intended through iTunes, the user's credentials for signing into Apple's PNS messaging servers (which are generated by the device itself in normal conditions) are broken along with the application security layer."

The article have been corrected and now it's not biased.

Thanks Prince for modifying it, best regards
  • Reply 36 of 65
    It appears I've been educated a little about the process. Thank you for the clarification, Prince

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

The article have been corrected and now it's not biased.

There's no update on the article itself, however. There should be an indication that the title was changed -- there is not. It was just changed.

Edit: For the record, I believe it was originally titled "Hackers open up iPhone to push messaging exploit, blame Apple"
  • Reply 37 of 65
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Ho hum, im sure I will sleep well
  • Reply 38 of 65
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    As a pedestrian consumer who does not hack, jailbreak, etc., should I care? Yawn.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    cazlarcazlar Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As a pedestrian consumer who does not hack, jailbreak, etc., should I care? Yawn.

Actually, you should. Any messages you send to someone who has used this "pushfix" hack will possibly be sent to random people - whether you are JB or not. In fact, the person mentioned in the article was sending a message from his mac in iChat to a hackitvated phone, not from it.

That being said, "pushfix" was only ever an alpha release. Once I heard of all the issues (well before this story) I steered clear (I'm on a hacktivated 2G iPhone). I'm sure the dev-team will find a better solution in the future.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Advertising available services on your local network when you TURN ON SHARING is not a privacy issue.

and it's very easy to change the computer's name in Sharing preferences. even for dummies. it's the first box at the top of that page.

now the darn user short name, that's a whole other thing. no way to change it as far as i know. why? but it only shows up on lists of users.