New Logic Studio upgrade simplifies complex tasks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

No kidding. I love non pros bitching about the cost of pro software.

Seriously, where did I complain about the cost of the software? FWIW, I've been using Macs to earn a living since 1993. I'm somewhere in the grey area between hobbyist and pro when it comes to music -- I've worked in recording studios, and used to earn a goodly portion of my income as a session player, so Garage Band doesn't exactly fit my bill, but neither does thousands of dollars worth of new hardware every few years. I realize I'm in a no-man's land, but I feel like it's been artificially created for me by Apple, to some extent.

I'm taken aback by the general meanness in this thread, but what the hell -- It's the internet. Guess I should man-up.

I missed Apple clearly announcing that they would be releasing a new version of Logic in the near future that would not run on PPC hardware. Maybe I was at work that day. I didn't expect them to support "obsolete" (not according to their service dept.) hardware indefinitely, but it seems to me in this case, that it's not as if they had to drop PPC at this point -- they just did because it was easier/cheaper. If it'll run on 10.5, which their website says it does, then it's not like it's a Snow Leopard thing.

That's their right, as it is my right to be pretty disappointed that they did so.

See y'all in a couple years, I guess.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How about you either use what you have, or make more money to cover your "absolutely necessary" upgrade costs? Just sayin'.

Do try reading. I jumped on the Logic 8 upgrade because it's going to be impossible to find before the week's out. It wasn't absolutely necessary until Apple discontinued it today.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Massive update! Looks great. Gotta try it.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Looks like the Flex Time stuff is to make it more DJ - and other Ableton-Live-y kinda stuff friendly.

That Varispeed stuff is absolutely essential, and if it can non-destructively retime audio files to other BPMs (not sure if that is on-the-fly), nice.

I'd like to see if it is possible to do everything from compose to perform in Logic Studio 9, without having to touch ProTools or Reason or Ableton or Traktor at all...

You can pretty much do a tight dance mix cd in Logic 8 except the tempo can't shift so it will be pretty static... But if I can Hyperdraw or basically Automate tempo change and that tempo change applies to the whole multitrack in Logic 9, sweeeet.

BTW I am not a Logic "Pro" so feel free to enlighten me. Can you time-stretch a audio sample non-destructively in Logic 8? Gonna bail early from work today and go read up on Logic stuff and video tutorials.

Quick pimp of my Linkin Park - New Divide Vocal Trance Bootleg Remix done in Logic Pro 8. Check it out! Linkin Park meets Vocal Trance meets Transformers...
  • Reply 25 of 26
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How about you either use what you have, or make more money to cover your "absolutely necessary" upgrade costs? Just sayin'.

Using what you have kind of sucks when Logic 8 and Soundtrack 2 are as buggy as they are. Not that there's any guarantee that the new versions will be any more stable, but you would certainly hope so. The reaction would probably be better if they released 8.0.3 and quashed some of the more egregious bugs instead of putting the fixes in a paid upgrade.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

No kidding. I love non pros bitching about the cost of pro software.

How does using a perfectly good machine that's not that old and cost almost $3000 make someone "non pro"? Please use your brain. And we're talking about musicians here, not exactly an industry where the people doing it for a living are necessarily rolling in cash.

And to set the record straight, there have been reports online that Logic 9 is NOT intel only, I don't know if it is confirmed but people are saying it runs just fine on PPC, it's just not supported by apple (plus I'm sure they're hoping people buy a new intel box instead of running it on their G5). Hopefully that will be clarified soon.

It looks like a decent update, basically it looks like it somewhat catches up to a version of Pro Tools from two or three years ago (when did beat detective first ship?). I'm a little annoyed it's not a 64 bit app, but hopefully they'll ship an update immediately when 10.6 comes out...and it better be a free one.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Using what you have kind of sucks when Logic 8 and Soundtrack 2 are as buggy as they are. Not that there's any guarantee that the new versions will be any more stable, but you would certainly hope so. The reaction would probably be better if they released 8.0.3 and quashed some of the more egregious bugs instead of putting the fixes in a paid upgrade.

How does using a perfectly good machine that's not that old and cost almost $3000 make someone "non pro"? Please use your brain. And we're talking about musicians here, not exactly an industry where the people doing it for a living are necessarily rolling in cash.

And to set the record straight, there have been reports online that Logic 9 is NOT intel only, I don't know if it is confirmed but people are saying it runs just fine on PPC, it's just not supported by apple (plus I'm sure they're hoping people buy a new intel box instead of running it on their G5). Hopefully that will be clarified soon.

It looks like a decent update, basically it looks like it somewhat catches up to a version of Pro Tools from two or three years ago (when did beat detective first ship?). I'm a little annoyed it's not a 64 bit app, but hopefully they'll ship an update immediately when 10.6 comes out...and it better be a free one.

exactly - bug fixes often come in upgrades which seems hardly fair to the "non pros" who incidentally paid good money for the software. But ok this is also true of MOTU DP albeit to a less extent.