Two year-old iPhone nano patent draws headlines again

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

It makes sense that it is only a matter of time before the nano evolves into a miniature iPod touch with a little something extra to make it still worth buying.

Well not just that, but you have to evolve in the tech space in general.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

I'm sure everyone has a story like this, but I've got to share.

In 1998, early 1999. I came up with something like this. I wanted to have a fast text input device for the Palm III ( and later I became obsessed with doing this for the Handspring visor because of the cartridge slot )

Anyway... it was a device that had keys on the back side ( physical keys ) and was going to have a chorded layout.. only 18-20 keys on the back side ( depending on a usability study I was trying to do... how many keys can an average person's fingers reach in this way ) and several buttons and an n-way joypad on the front. You held it like a Sega Game Gear ( in fact my mockup was a Game Gear shell heavily "Dremeled" )

I thought I was going to make millions. hahahaha.

I worked out the whole chorded layout, and around 50 pages of design docs.

Never patented it. I figured it wasn't worth spending the money on unless I had a chance of actually successfully producing the device.

But one thing that Jobs and Co. got extremely right about the iPhone ( and this patent too ) is that fixed buttons is the wrong way to go. it extends the use of the device tremendously. It becomes a project box.... if you can think of it, you can do it.

Wow. Sounds nice.