Apple releases iPhone 3.0.1 software to fix SMS exploit

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icebike View Post

I've noticed that 3.0.1 fixes a few annoying problems that kept cropping up in other apps.

First I noticed that my IM+ App reconnects very fast instead of taking forever and eventually timing out. Its almost instantaneous.

Next Fring no longer asks me every minute if it can use my GPS.

My WiFi Passwords are not lost (at least not yet).

Wifi jumps on to my wireless much faster than before

The Voice Search in the Google APP again beeps when I hold the phone up to my ear so that I can speak my search terms. This has been broken since 3.0

I've seen faster Speedtest app results using my own wifi router than I did in the past. (not by much, but they are all faster).

Maybe all these things just coincidentally improved due to a re-install, rather than any thing Apple did. But it seems to me that they fixed up the TCP stack quite a bit.

Anyone else seeing improvements?

That's just the placebo effect.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    Downloaded and installed 3.0.1. Phone restarted in Danish! None of the downloaded aps from the aps store work. What gives? I changed to english but had to figure out correct option in danish to get to english in settings. Still aps store aps do not work.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    I have ViewTi Golf & Golfshot GPS on my iPhone 3G.

After doing the upgrade on Saturday I went out and played a round of Golf this morning.

I stared with Golfshot GPS and the phone kept going to the black screen with the Apple on it. I had to reset it 4 times by the 3rd hole. I gave up on it and tried ViewTi Golf. Not nearly as good of a GPS app but it was the one I bought first.

This app made it through 2 holes before giving me the same experience. I finally got the phone to start and turned off GPS and the phone has been fine the rest of the day.

Way to go you Slack ass developers at APPLE. Wait until the 13th hour and put out an untested POS firmware update.

So now you have to decide update your phone to be safe or have it cripple your phone.

I've got a buddy that has not done the upgrade and both Apps worked great as they had on mine in the past (less the lousy batter the iPhone has).
  • Reply 84 of 91
    Upgraded my jailbroken 2G and I found applying the patch with redsn0w 0.8 for OS X would not work. The 3.0 firmware needs to be used for making the patch, 3.0.1 is not supported as explained on the Dev-Team blog. It got to the phone rebooting stage and screen stayed black. However redsn0w 0.8 in XP worked fine.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    At least your battery issue seems to be resolved.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

I have ViewTi Golf & Golfshot GPS on my iPhone 3G.

After doing the upgrade on Saturday I went out and played a round of Golf this morning.

...the phone has been fine the rest of the day.

• Reply 86 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hsattert View Post

Downloaded and installed 3.0.1. Phone restarted in Danish! None of the downloaded aps from the aps store work. What gives? I changed to english but had to figure out correct option in danish to get to english in settings. Still aps store aps do not work.

? your case sounds wierd.. redownload 3.0 then try again. Hopefully it works.

Good luck
  • Reply 87 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icebike View Post

I've noticed that 3.0.1 fixes a few annoying problems that kept cropping up in other apps.

First I noticed that my IM+ App reconnects very fast instead of taking forever and eventually timing out. Its almost instantaneous.

Next Fring no longer asks me every minute if it can use my GPS.

My WiFi Passwords are not lost (at least not yet).

Wifi jumps on to my wireless much faster than before

The Voice Search in the Google APP again beeps when I hold the phone up to my ear so that I can speak my search terms. This has been broken since 3.0

I've seen faster Speedtest app results using my own wifi router than I did in the past. (not by much, but they are all faster).

Maybe all these things just coincidentally improved due to a re-install, rather than any thing Apple did. But it seems to me that they fixed up the TCP stack quite a bit.

Anyone else seeing improvements?

I've noticed this morning, that if my phone is locked and I get a text/voicemail/push notification/calendar reminder, the 'slide to unlock' bar has changed to 'slide to view' and as soon as you unlock the phone it takes you straight to the alert that's come through.

A few of the people at work have noticed the same, but I can't see it mentioned on any of the forums/blogs.

Any one else noticed this?
  • Reply 88 of 91
    One thing that I have noticed, is that while I'm texting, it often lags or doesn't display the character I selected. This only happens while I'm in the SMS app, types fine in Safari, Notes, etc. Everything else seems normal, nothing loads faster or anything. Anyone else having the same issue in SMS?
  • Reply 89 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbd86gt View Post

One thing that I have noticed, is that while I'm texting, it often lags or doesn't display the character I selected. This only happens while I'm in the SMS app, types fine in Safari, Notes, etc. Everything else seems normal, nothing loads faster or anything. Anyone else having the same issue in SMS?

But there should not be much changes to it.. apart from fixing the security flaw..
  • Reply 90 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

But there should not be much changes to it.. apart from fixing the security flaw..

I figured the same thing, but ever since I updated to 3.0.1, texting has been a hassel. I've tried restarting the phone, soft resets, etc. All but redownloading the update and reinstalling it. My girlfriends phone has been doing the same since the update, so I'm not alone.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbd86gt View Post

I figured the same thing, but ever since I updated to 3.0.1, texting has been a hassel. I've tried restarting the phone, soft resets, etc. All but redownloading the update and reinstalling it. My girlfriends phone has been doing the same since the update, so I'm not alone.

Yup. 3.0.1 was just to fix the SMS security flaw. Nothing else. It's not meant to be a huge software upgrade.