Google's chief accepted gear but no pay as Apple board member

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

you'd be surprised how many executives work yet don't need the money. Sure, they take it since they're not gonna work for free, but not every executive is a greedy sleezebag. There is such a thing as enjoying your work and enjoying the challenge of running a company.

And when there isn't ANYTHING you need or want, that you don't already have ?

and when you or your kids, or there kids will not have to work - they may choose to work, but they won't need to work, to make or have enough money to live.

Money IS very important, and when you have BILLIONS (and make MILLIONS in interest EACH DAY), getting paid does not have the same urgency as those of us, who make $45,000.00 a year.

He make MORE in interest each DAY, then many of us, make a year, WORKING!

To get paid say, $125,000.00 for a seat on the board of directors ? does what for him?

By the way, boy would I LOVE to be in his shoes

Skip
  • Reply 22 of 35
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

How does any CEO etc live off of $1 a year? Where exactly does their "normal" income to live off of come from? I don't see living off stock purchases to be that secure. Someone please enlighten me.

Eric was very rich already. put that money in the bank and you can live off the interest. particularly when you can get things for free. and you can bet that Apple isn't the only company that would had him whatever he wanted without blinking. He's just as much a celeb as Brad Pitt (who would be loaned the car of his dreams so he'd be seen driving it around time and rack up serious free advertising for the company)
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

If only more executives were this responsible and well behaved when it came to perks. He clearly values his reputation and stake in Google enough not to risk tainting his resume with unnecessary offerings from Apple. Good on him.

It would have created more social value if he took the money/shares and gave it to charity.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

you'd be surprised how many executives work yet don't need the money. Sure, they take it since they're not gonna work for free, but not every executive is a greedy sleezebag. There is such a thing as enjoying your work and enjoying the challenge of running a company.

Yea, most of them are sleaze bags. Look at Koz... he already had money but still stole from the company. The Enron crowd was rich but that was not enough. The Dell guy was rich but kept on giving himself tons of options over the years. QCOM got nepotism going and they get options all the time that they sell... even with buybacks, there is huge dilution going on. The guy who ran GM to the ground got paid a ton of money. Bank of American CEO took in $30M last year after sticking to the stock holders.

There a huge disparity in CEO and upper mgt salaries even in companies that can run but themselves like Coke... well until some idiot came up with the "New Coke" and almost ran the company to the ground. Uh... he got a nice bonus and pay, but some low level got fired.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Al Gore picked out the system you wish you had....

• Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

I can't believe he got a Nobel Prize for an animated slide show. The other nominee, Irena Sendler, a lady plumber during WWII, smuggled over a thousand jewish children out of ghettos and into freedom, was caught and beaten nearly to death by the Nazis, lost the Nobel to Gore's slide show.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

I can't believe he got a Nobel Prize for an animated slide show.

But it was a Keynote slide show!

(As an aside, I happen to think that climate change is a serious issue).
  • Reply 28 of 35
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Al Gore is such a hypocrite. Talks the environmental talk, but doesn't walk the environmental walk.

He's got only one set of eyeballs and no real time update of data on the other two monitors, so why need three 30" displays?

And he's right up close, so he's essentially using 15" - 17" of the first 30" (notice the keyboard is close to the center monitor and no place to put it in front of the other monitors? very awkward!).

I had a 30" you tend to sit back about 4-5 ft from the screen and put the keyboard on your lap, to take it all in and increase the font/size so your not straining to see like he is doing and moving your head around trying to find stuff on the monitor.

Also since he's so close, he has to turn and move his head and body to see the other screens, to get close to squint at whats on those screens (with the keyboard positioned on the center monitor no less!) quite a chore to do all the time (I had another 23" monitor with the 30" so I know from experience)

So essentially the other two 30" monitors are a complete waste of time, effort, money and energy. (not to mention the TV that's on in the original picture)

Given the chaotic and unorganized mess of his office...

Actions speak louder than words.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Al Gore is such a hypocrite. Talks the environmental talk, but doesn't walk the environmental walk.

His computer is only the tip of the iceberg.

A Tale of Two Houses
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

He's got only one set of eyeballs and no real time update of data on the other two monitors, so why need three 30" displays?

And he's right up close, so he's essentially using 15" - 17" of the first 30" (notice the keyboard is close to the center monitor and no place to put it in front of the other monitors? very awkward!).

I had a 30" you tend to sit back about 4-5 ft from the screen and put the keyboard on your lap, to take it all in and increase the font/size so your not straining to see like he is doing and moving your head around trying to find stuff on the monitor.

Also since he's so close, he has to turn and move his head and body to see the other screens, to get close to squint at whats on those screens (with the keyboard positioned on the center monitor no less!) quite a chore to do all the time (I had another 23" monitor with the 30" so I know from experience)

So essentially the other two 30" monitors are a complete waste of time, effort, money and energy. (not to mention the TV that's on in the original picture)

Given the chaotic and unorganized mess of his office...

Actions speak louder than words.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But it was a Keynote slide show!

(As an aside, I happen to think that climate change is a serious issue).

Gore is the epitome of America's Blue Blood. Born with a silver spoon and fork, son of a Senator, raised in a life of privilege and access, occupied the White House for 8 years, invented the internet in his spare time, then couldn't even carry his own home state of Tennessee during a Presidential election. Talks about climate change, yet has a carbon footprint the size of Manhattan, ie: three 30" monitors that give him a tan while he surfs, and flies 100,000 miles on his private jet. He's disgusting.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Gore is the epitome of America's Blue Blood. Born with a silver spoon and fork, son of a Senator, raised in a life of privilege and access, occupied the White House for 8 years, invented the internet in his spare time, then couldn't even carry his own home state of Tennessee during a Presidential election. Talks about climate change, yet has a carbon footprint the size of Manhattan, ie: three 30" monitors that give him a tan while he surfs, and flies 100,000 miles on his private jet. He's disgusting.

Chill, man.

I said I thought climate change was a serious issue, not Al Gore.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Before he resigned from the company's board of directors this week, Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt was essentially a volunteer during his tenure with Apple, accepting only products.

All the Google executive did accept, according to public records from the Securities and Exchange Commission revealed by BusinessWeek, was $8,712 in Apple products, and a $7,580 unknown "commemorative gift." The publication also recalled, as previously known, that Schmidt passed on stock options and a $50,000 retainer fee offered by the Cupertino, Calif.-based company.

Apple's directors are entitled to one of each of the company's new products, as well as a discount on hardware purchases. The directors do capitalize on the offering: former U.S. Vice President Al Gore took $13,161 in Apple products, while Arthur Levinson, former CEO of Genentech, took $8,923.

While Apple's board members are allowed 30,000 shares of the company stock, and the option to purchase an additional 10,000 shares each year, Schmidt passed. Instead, in September 2006, the Google executive bought 10,000 shares on his own, on the open market, at a cost of about $740,000. Today, BusinessWeek calculates, those shares would be worth $1.7 million.

Apple board members are also entitled to a $50,000 annual retainer fee, paid as $12,500 each quarter. But Schmidt also passed on that offering.

He practices the same actions with his own company as well. Schmidt's salary with Google is only $1 a year, and he hasn't accepted stock options from the company for several years.

Eric Schmidt is a true leader. If only Apple could be lead by such a healthy and honest, law abiding, man. Less greed, more honesty.

• Reply 33 of 35
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    To be honest, I'm a bit suspicious. Schmidt is either a really great guy or had an agenda.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Why else would a CEO be on the board of another company, but for the swag?

I mean, that's why I'd do it...
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Talk about not being greedy, I wish him the best even though he left Apple. He earned my respect by not squeezing every possible cent he could while on board. If only the financial moguls could follow the example....wishful thinking