Apple looks to fix bothersome beeps in MacBook Pros

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,741member
    Everyone:



    sgginc was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    SEAgate makes the only 7200 rpm drives .



    SAMSUNG rocks





    Your jesting right?



    Sorry to disagree with you if your serious, but based upon my 20 something year experience with hard drives, Seagate is almost utter crap for hard drive quality and reliability. Slightly above Maxtor in quality.



    All my Maxtor drives have failed, a few Seagates in Mac's unfortunatly, one WD and none of my Hitachi's.



    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...r-ctrlaltdelpc





    My 7,200 RPM Hitachi works like a charm, is quiet and dependable.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


    Your jesting right?



    Sorry to disagree with you if your serious, but based upon my 20 something year experience with hard drives, Seagate is almost utter crap for hard drive quality and reliability. Slightly above Maxtor in quality.



    Huh. I find it amusing that you couldn't read that properly. He didn't say that Seagate rules.



    Quote:

    All my Maxtor drives have failed, a few Seagates in Mac's unfortunatly, one WD and none of my Hitachi's.



    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...r-ctrlaltdelpc



    My 7,200 RPM Hitachi works like a charm, is quiet and dependable.



    I'd say I had a couple dozen Seagates, only one had died.



    Hitachi's hard drive division wasn't always so sterling. You remember the DeathStar debacle? Same organization, though it was when that division had the IBM name.



    I have to register in order to see the results of your linked poll. I really don't care enough to register just to see the results. Being only ten replies, I doubt its at all significant.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    inklinginkling Posts: 731member
    While they're at it, they might fix the annoying and noisy grind sound MacBooks make when they start up. For some reason, they think they need to access the SuperDrive every time.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Glad to hear a rumour of Apple taking my problem serious.



    I had a 7200 Momentus-drive in my old macbook without any problem.



    Bought a shiny new, 'cost me an arm and a leg' macbook pro, and 'click - bleep - hickup' clearly originating from the harddrive as it spins-up during that hickup. This is not the way it should be, but Apple Support said I should not believe forums, and my problem simply did not exist.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


    Your jesting right?



    Sorry to disagree with you if your serious, but based upon my 20 something year experience with hard drives, Seagate is almost utter crap for hard drive quality and reliability. Slightly above Maxtor in quality.



    All my Maxtor drives have failed, a few Seagates in Mac's unfortunatly, one WD and none of my Hitachi's.



    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...r-ctrlaltdelpc





    My 7,200 RPM Hitachi works like a charm, is quiet and dependable.



    i was joking





    MOST drives go under 6 or 7 BRAND names but 3 companies produce most drives so who cares .



    Every drive external i own has failed so far . i lost 1tb of home movies.

    SO YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE BUYING ADVICE IS NEEDED

    I need 4 machines w/ total of 4 to 6 tb . 7200 rpm

    firewire800 firewire400 interface .BEST QUALITY PRICE IS NO OBJECT











    i never said i likes seagate

    i like samsung internal; 500g 2.5" triple platter drive
  • Reply 47 of 63
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post


    While they're at it, they might fix the annoying and noisy grind sound MacBooks make when they start up. For some reason, they think they need to access the SuperDrive every time.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radiognome View Post


    Glad to hear a rumour of Apple taking my problem serious.



    I had a 7200 Momentus-drive in my old macbook without any problem.



    Bought a shiny new, 'cost me an arm and a leg' macbook pro, and 'click - bleep - hickup' clearly originating from the harddrive as it spins-up during that hickup. This is not the way it should be, but Apple Support said I should not believe forums, and my problem simply did not exist.



    YOU GUYS ABOVE SHOULD READ JEFF BELOW

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    You're right, it should be transparent, but it usually is. Apple has had their sudden motion sensor system standard in their notebooks for four years without problems until now. So far as we can tell, this only happens with one model of hard drive. As far as I can tell, it's actually a pretty simple fix and probably doesn't require a service call.





    Apple has told me directly it is a firm ware issue for now and will be addressed soonest.

    So hang tough , go watch some re runs of dark angel



    peace



    9
  • Reply 48 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    Every drive external i own has failed so far . i lost 1tb of home movies.

    SO YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE BUYING ADVICE IS NEEDED

    I need 4 machines w/ total of 4 to 6 tb . 7200 rpm

    firewire800 firewire400 interface .BEST QUALITY PRICE IS NO OBJECT



    How about a Drobo? The only complaint that I have against it is that it's not that fast, 30MB/s seems to be the fastest the base Drobo can go, at least with the drives that I have (a 400GB 7200 is the weakest drive in mine). But you're not likely to lose data if a drive fails, it automatically builds a redundant drive for you. And you can network share it instead of needing an extra data drive at every computer.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,741member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    i was joking





    MOST drives go under 6 or 7 BRAND names but 3 companies produce most drives so who cares .



    Every drive external i own has failed so far . i lost 1tb of home movies.

    SO YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE BUYING ADVICE IS NEEDED

    I need 4 machines w/ total of 4 to 6 tb . 7200 rpm

    firewire800 firewire400 interface .BEST QUALITY PRICE IS NO OBJECT











    i never said i likes seagate

    i like samsung internal; 500g 2.5" triple platter drive





    You don't back up your drives?



    RAID.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    imatimat Posts: 150member
    I have a Seagate HDD 7,200 rpm 500GB which I installed personally on my MBP 17" (4,1 pre-unibody)



    Works like a charm, no noises or anything. I installed all on my own, and completely re-installed the whole OS. Didn't migrate or clone my previous 250 HDD. I installed everything again. As said, never had any problems with it making noise (not even during wake-up or something).



    Maybe it's a slightly different model? But I remember it having this "useless for Macs" G protection feature, so it might be the same you are all talking about.



    Maybe just luck?
  • Reply 51 of 63
    .....
  • Reply 52 of 63
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    i was right

    the 500g model 7200 is seagate only

    >>>>>>>

    Jeff how can i tell if my seagate is the bad one ??



    Hey Bruce,



    What you originally stated was that Seagate makes the ONLY 7200 RPm drive. You did not specify that you were speaking of the 500GB size only.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    Has Apple ever explained why the hell they are shipping drives with G-Force protection in the first place?
  • Reply 54 of 63
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    You don't back up your drives?



    RAID.



    Yes and they died .

    How does raid work ?
  • Reply 55 of 63
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post


    Hey Bruce,



    What you originally stated was that Seagate makes the ONLY 7200 RPm drive. You did not specify that you were speaking of the 500GB size only.



    I know.

    i still felt stupid until jeff saved my poor name .



    I am just glad we cleared all this up .



    thank you dude
  • Reply 56 of 63
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    dble posta
  • Reply 57 of 63
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    How about a Drobo? The only complaint that I have against it is that it's not that fast, 30MB/s seems to be the fastest the base Drobo can go, at least with the drives that I have (a 400GB 7200 is the weakest drive in mine). But you're not likely to lose data if a drive fails, it automatically builds a redundant drive for you. And you can network share it instead of needing an extra data drive at every computer.



    I still have 75 >> 30 minute DV tapes so i can re built my family video memory. And then will burn fast dvd;s and bury them with the DV TAPES SO when my sons grow up they can make there own movies .



    .

    I think jeff I should divvie all my info into 2 drives LEAVING AT least 40 percent free space in each drive .



    And then buy the same two drives again to back up those drives.



    I might need to go to 4 tb i duuno yet .



    What is considered a great high transfer speed FW 800/400 drive?



    Thanks for all the help.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Dear mister cutter .



    back off dude
  • Reply 59 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    I still have 75 >> 30 minute DV tapes so i can re built my family video memory. And then will burn fast dvd;s and bury them with the DV TAPES SO when my sons grow up they can make there own movies .



    .

    I think jeff I should divvie all my info into 2 drives LEAVING AT least 40 percent free space in each drive .



    And then buy the same two drives again to back up those drives.



    I might need to go to 4 tb i duuno yet .



    What is considered a great high transfer speed FW 800/400 drive?



    Thanks for all the help.



    DV is 3MB per second. Unless you're layering several streams, it's hard to find a hard drive that can't keep up. I think 30MB/s of actual data transfer is pretty good for a FW400 drive, 60MB/s is about right for a FW800 drive.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    You're right, it should be transparent, but it usually is. Apple has had their sudden motion sensor system standard in their notebooks for four years without problems until now. So far as we can tell, this only happens with one model of hard drive. As far as I can tell, it's actually a pretty simple fix and probably doesn't require a service call.



    I am actually not upset with Apple; things like that happen. My HP notebook - one of the first from HP with Centrino 2 platform - was dropping wireless on occasion. Only reboot was helping, but since it was happening (for me) not more than 2x a month, it was reasonably easy to live with... until HP released new drivers and fixed problem 3 or 4 months later.



    As soon as my wireless dropped 2nd time, I have logged support call with HP and was checking on them very frequently until solution was out. I don't know if that has helped forcing them to fix problem any quicker, but it certainly hasn't done any damage. If no one with the same issue complained, who knows when would problem be fixed?



    So I am a bit upset with people willing to accept every crap as long as it comes from beloved brand. Brand loyalty is OK - most people are loyal to the brand they have good experience with - but such vassal blindness isn't. Crap does happen, but if someone wants more money from me in the future, I'll expect them to fix crap a.s.a.p rather than listening to their excuses - or, even worst, making excuses for them!
Sign In or Register to comment.