dog or cat??

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by crawlingparanoia:

<strong>Cats. And mine pees outside, thank you very much!</strong><hr></blockquote>

So do I! That's why cats rule!
  • Reply 42 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:

<strong>She always rubs against my legs, hands, face, hair, I don't know why she does this, but she seems to enjoy it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Most cats rub against things to leave their scent...either for location purposes or for other cats. It is a sign of affection.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    I'd prefer signs of affection that don't smear me with scent marking goo...
  • Reply 44 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>

Most cats rub against things to leave their scent...either for location purposes or for other cats. It is a sign of affection.</strong><hr></blockquote>

and territory.

u are marked as owned by that cat
  • Reply 45 of 47
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Gonna have to go with the dogs on this one, even though my cat is pretty darn cool.

My dog is a nine month old West Highland Terrier. The cat is a 12 year old Maine Coone.

The cat comes and goes as he pleases sleeps, craps and pees outside. Comes in through an open window to eat. Occasionally he'll sleep indoors if its really cold out. If there is snow on the ground there is newspaper on the kitchen floor - he doesn't like to get his butt cold.

The dog requires more attention. No doubt about it. I think he'd chase his little red ball all day long if he could. He's pretty much housebroken though so the cleaning up after the pets thing is a tie. Huxley doesn't stink (unless he rolls around in horse manure while out on a walk) he has a slight earthy, dirt smell if any.

The cat is cool, but my dog is the better friend.

Good god, I've become one of those people with a pet website:

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/fuzzmuzzle/PhotoAlbum1.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/fuzzmuzzle/PhotoAlbum1.html</a>;

Had to show my mom pics of the pooch somehow though didn't I?
  • Reply 46 of 47
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Artman @_@, ah yes, a sign of affection...that must be why she does this to chair legs and door frames and counter-corners...

_alliance_ is right. It's primarily territorial...You are owned by your cat. Other than prides of lions, cats generally don't show much in the form of social hierarchy or community. With dogs, there is definitely a chain of command. Dogs assert their dominance over groups or individuals, and they also submit in the same fashion.

I am the alpha male to my dogs, and they respect that. If I try to 'control' my cat, it will definitely protest.

Dogs can be taught to do amazing things. Cats can teach themselves to do remarkable things, but I don't think you'll see a seeing-eye cat any time soon.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Artman @_@, ah yes, a sign of affection...that must be why she does this to chair legs and door frames and counter-corners...

_alliance_ is right. It's primarily territorial...You are owned by your cat. Other than prides of lions, cats generally don't show much in the form of social hierarchy or community. With dogs, there is definitely a chain of command. Dogs assert their dominance over groups or individuals, and they also submit in the same fashion.

I am the alpha male to my dogs, and they respect that. If I try to 'control' my cat, it will definitely protest.

Dogs can be taught to do amazing things. Cats can teach themselves to do remarkable things, but I don't think you'll see a seeing-eye cat any time soon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

cats are loners--they dont see themselves as needing us.

on the other hand, dogs see themselves as being completely dependent on us, as we are the rest of their "pack." as eugene said, the alpha male is the one in charge of this pack--if yer dogs dont see u, the owner, as the alpha male, then they dont respect u. try this little experiment next time u are w/ yer dog:

place your hand on top of its paw--if yer dog places its paw on top of yer hand in reaction, then u need to make some changes in the pack--this is a sign that the dog believes it is dominant over u. if this is the case, simply place your hand back on top and refuse to let him replace the paw on top.

also, try this:

look the dog straight in the eye--ideally, the dog should look away immediately. looking away instead of making eye contact signifies his willingness to accept u as dominant. if he stares u down, that could be a sign that he doesnt respect u enuff to look away. be careful if this is the case--it could mean that he sees u as a potential threat. dogs make eye contact primarily if they intend to fight, for whatever reason (but its mostly apparent amongst the pack or rivals outside). for instance, the alpha male should never have another member of the pack look him in the eye. it is a sign of submission to his authority. if one does, then it means his authority is challenged...which could lead to a change in power in the pack.

if the dog believes that it is stronger than u, be very careful. always be in charge, and never show panic or fear.