New Apple tablet speculation: two models, OLED screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 187
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

No, I don't really know what it's gonna be, but I'm pretty certain that unless there is some godlike capability in this thing, very few people will shell out almost a grand for a 10" touchscreen device that is basically a bigger iPhone and/or extension of an iMac or MacBook. If it turns out to be a fully-fledged tablet machine running a touch variant of OS X that has capability on par with the MBA, then $900 is justifiable. Otherwise the pricetag alone will probably leave people asking, "That's it?"

if it exists, i think apple is positioning it to penetrate non-mac consumers as well as mac consumers. kind of like the 2nd generation apple tv. it needs to be tied into an apple content delivery system to stream iptv but must also be independent as a slick browser that happens to run an variation of apple os. that way, people not into apple (like many ipod and iphone users out there) computers will not see it as an overpriced pc because there is no direct competition out there. there's archos and some other windows tablets but when you put their gui and multitouch up against apple's, apple wins. just look at the iphone in the smartphone market as an example. not the best value but once people see the tv spots and then get one in their hand, the iphone just appeals to more people.

it's not that apple does everything so great. it's that everyone else is so utterly incompetent at delivering positive consumer experiences with advanced technology.
  • Reply 22 of 187
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Goodbye amazon Kindle!

This tablet has nothing to do with e-ink. It's golf balls and tennis balls.
  • Reply 23 of 187
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I have no doubt that you are crazy.

I thought you were the one who was gung-ho on apple introducing a apple branded TV?

Yeah, that was me. Still is. Like I say, this TV is only a matter of time. The train is on the tracks.
  • Reply 24 of 187
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    If the rumors we are hearing about this thing are close to true, I'm predicting it's success will be somewhere between the Cube and the MBA, two products who's unique design didn't make up for the high initial selling price.

Schools would seem to be the most likely users of this device in any quantity, but schools won't be able to afford it.
  • Reply 25 of 187
    Yay, fake videos of an un-announced Apple product! That's more like it. Was wondering how long it would take for one to show up.

Isn't it odd that the person who made the video went to great pains to not show the device itself and only an extreme closeup of the screen? It looked like a laptop screen, as you can see the white edge briefly in one of the videos. You can also see how the screen "gives" when touched by a finger, just like a matte LCD screen. Notice it's not a glossy screen or glass with a black border.

Nice try, but, not at all convincing.
  • Reply 26 of 187
    I'm not buying those videos.

For instance, the note application is dragged by simply touching and dragging. How would that work by application that respond to moving touches (like maps).

Also, the iPhone keyboard is simply unuseable on such a big device - you can't use your thumbs. If they spend 4 - 6 years developing I would figure they would've came up with something better.

But maybe that's just me...
  • Reply 27 of 187
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

A $900 iPod touch better have some goodies in store that goes beyond just a bigger screen and faster CPU...

Even with 128GB storage that price seems steep.

OLED would be very nice, but I doubt Apple is ready for OLED. But perhaps...

Is it going to be even thinner than the iPod touch?

I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow can run both iPhone apps _and_ Mac OS apps by incorporating some Intel x86 core too. The latter would suck battery juice and be slow still, but users would have a choice to run a few Mac apps they must run.

Use Word if you have to, or use the iPod variant of Pages.

Use iPod Safari or Firefox with Flash if you really need the latter.

etc.

With that feature set $900 seems fair.

You can expect some more Youtube videos showing someone slicing cakes with an iTablet if it's even thinner than an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 28 of 187
    Yeah, sure. I suppose it will have two batteries and a slide out keyboard as well?

Also, those videos are hilariously fake. There's nothing to discuss.
  • Reply 29 of 187
    I don't know if that video is for real or not, maybe it's an early software/hardware testbed (that's a resistive touchscreen right? Apple won't do that.). The way the apple logo transitions out on boot is really smooth.

I don't think my mbp does that, maybe some of the newer ones do, but that's pretty slick in itself.

The way the iphone style alerts pop-up is pretty cool. It may be a test mule, and s/he may not want to shoot the bezel because the software interaction is the only info s/he wants to show. Maybe the bezel is marked to ID whose it is or something. Notes is real laggy as it is on the iPhone and the whole thing looks pretty legit to me. I don't write code, but to get that whole thing set up with (maybe) the transition, the alerts, the interaction with iPhone apps and all that... it seems like a lot of work to just put it up on YouTube with no profit motive. I'll bet it's a leaked product, either by Apple for hype or a rogue dev.

I like it, and I'll buy it once I get a steady gig, especially if I can use it as an additional screen/wacom pad type device with a solid, capacitive front and a stylus or finger option. That'd be a dream come true.
  • Reply 30 of 187
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    $899 is way to steep for that!

I would say $349 - $499 is more fair. Heck with what it's rumored to have (software wise) it's really no better than a 10" iPod Touch with Multi-tasking. As yourself, is $899 a fair price compared to a $499 netbook, which has a FULL OS and the ability to add any app you want?

Apple's smoking some major dube to think we'll pay that much.

I'm for a REAL keyboard and a full OS thank you very much.
  • Reply 31 of 187
    I say either $499 or $599
  • Reply 32 of 187
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fryke View Post

I might be the only one, but the videos look quite astonishingly "true" to me.

It's fake. Note how he hesitates when tapping on an icon as if he trying to do it in sync with a preprogrammed animation. Also, the way the notes application dragged, the screen distortions that occur when pressing on a display without glass, etc.
  • Reply 33 of 187
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    You have to admire Apple's supreme marketing acumen. What a frenzy of expectation is abroad for a device that no-one knows for sure even exists, and if it does exist, no-one knows what it will do! They are truly the Zen masters of hype - to make the loudest noise, remain silent.
  • Reply 34 of 187
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

$900 is too much for that sort of device. Something closer in pricing to the lower end Mac Mini would be appropriate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What sort of device? Need I remind you, the product -- and everything about it -- is nothing more than a series of vague and contradictory rumors at this point. Yet, some are sure it's too expensive. Funny, that.

I'll second that. I'd also remind people that the 1st gen iPhone I'm carrying around cost $599. I find it hilarious that people expect a similar device with a 10" screen to somehow be the same price. (Granted, they're a couple of years apart, but really).
  • Reply 35 of 187
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

If so those are the best fake videos of all time.

Really, that could easily be one of the "touch books" that are out there and anyone can buy, hacked and running the Iphone OS or just something he created in director or flash for all we know, you notice you NEVER saw a shot from further away to show the device, just close ups (way to close actually) of the screen.

I too call bullshit on these videos.
  • Reply 36 of 187
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I would say $349 - $499 is more fair. Heck with what it's rumored to have (software wise) it's really no better than a 10" iPod Touch with Multi-tasking. As yourself, is $899 a fair price compared to a $499 netbook, which has a FULL OS and the ability to add any app you want?

So you think it should be the same price as a 32gig iTouch huh ...

I really don't get all of the "i think it should be .. 12 dollars! heck apple can afford it and the price they want is too much for me to pay!!"
  • Reply 37 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

You have to admire Apple's supreme marketing acumen. What a frenzy of expectation is abroad for a device that no-one knows for sure even exists, and if it does exist, no-one knows what it will do! They are truly the Zen masters of hype - to make the loudest noise, remain silent.

Sounds just like the iPhone before it was finally announced after a year of wild speculation. Even the keynote was at first purposely misleading by introducing 3 different handheld devices, which we eventually learned was actually one device, the iPhone. Clever Apple!
  • Reply 38 of 187
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Sounds like this is what you want. Funny that Gigabyte can't even get down into the price range you consider fair.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002HP5X3U
  • Reply 39 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Videos are fake, tablet is real. Gizmodo story is bull though.

"Ireland you're crazy, Apple will never do a tablet."

The problem I?ve personally had with yours and others mockups is that they all had Mac OS X on a small touchscreen display. The idea of a tablet in and of itself isn?t crazy, but it needs to have an OS interface that is well adapted for that type of computing. It?s only been very recent in the tablet rumours that we?ve heard about and seen mockups that actually aren?t trying to shoehorn Mac OS X into the mythical device (or making it just an expanded display for the iPhone OS X).
  • Reply 40 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Sounds like this is what you want. Funny that Gigabyte can't even get down into the price range you consider fair.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002HP5X3U

I don?t think antkm1 realizes that just because a device is small and slower doesn?t mean that it?s going to be cheaper.