iTunes a quarter of music sales; Apple a third of Wi-Fi use

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Who has ever said no one would use CD's by 2009?

Digital download sales are projected to over take CD sales next year. CD's have such a large installed base they are expected to continue to be in use for many years.

?? The same digital nazis on here who proclaim that DVDs and Blu-ray and all physical media are dead and nobody wants them, that everything should be cyber, etc. etc.

I highly doubt that music downloads will jump over 15% percent next year after reading this news.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Viable, yes. Legal, questionable. I back up my personal DVDs with Handbrake.

There- I caught you. Putting those things on your AppleTv takes hours and hours- doesn't it? And then you need an additional format for iPod and iPhone- how aggravating!

Just play them on your MacMini connected to your TV- very simple solution!
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

There- I caught you. Putting those things on your AppleTv takes hours and hours- doesn't it? And then you need an additional format for iPod and iPhone- how aggravating!

Caught me what? I hvent bought a DVD in years and the term "back up" is exactly what it is, a backup. I'm not buying DVDs just to convert and play on the AppleTV. If I have a DVD to watch I will use the dusty DVD player I bought years ago. Your setup is fine for you and others, but it's not for EVERYONE. Frankly, I find your arrogence disheartening.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Viable, yes. Legal, questionable. I back up my personal DVDs with Handbrake.

In the US, it's not legal that I know. I have no problem with the personal ripping, when the real legal problem is people distributing their rips.

Quote:

I didn't know anyone was playing gotcha.

As far as I know, you can just encode it to iPhone format at 848x480 and it will play on AppleTV. I do agree that it takes a long time, I've got enough crap to do that I don't need another interruption to deal with. I just play the DVD and be done with it.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As far as I know, you can just encode it to iPhone format at 848x480 and it will play on AppleTV. I do agree that it takes a long time, I've got enough crap to do that I don't need another interruption to deal with. I just play the DVD and be done with it.

But if you want a good quality version you need to encode it to ATV format but then that is not backward compatible to iPod. IT'S a vicious circle of copies and copies. I hope quicktime Snow Leopard brings an end to all these versions that aren't compatible with each other- it's actually worse than physical media.

That's one of the main reasons i prefer to just play the disk. How come iTunes sells versions that play so smoothly on everything but this H.264 encoding ripping is such a nightmare?
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:

Caught me what? I hvent bought a DVD in years and the term "back up" is exactly what it is, a backup. I'm not buying DVDs just to convert and play on the AppleTV. If I have a DVD to watch I will use the dusty DVD player I bought years ago. Your setup is fine for you and others, but it's not for EVERYONE. Frankly, I find your arrogence disheartening.

I don't have arrogence. lol- You interpret me to have arrogance yet you keep telling me what you think EVERYONE wants?
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

I don't have arrogence. lol- You interpret me to have arrogance yet you keep telling me what you think EVERYONE wants?

I'm telling you why I want, you're telling me that I should spend a lot more money on a less convenient solution. Last time I checked, I'm part of everyone, so yes you are arrogent to want everyone to do you would do.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I personally still prefer CDs to downloads. I like to have a tangible "original" copy.

I agree, and CD's have a shelf-life in the order of 10x that of a HDD.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

I'm telling you why I want, you're telling me that I should spend a lot more money on a less convenient solution. Last time I checked, I'm part of everyone, so yes you are arrogent to want everyone to do you would do.

No- I told you to spend a lot less money on a less convenient solution or a reasonable amount of additional money for a far more infinitely convenient solution. Please don't misquote me or better yet fully comprehend what I write.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I agree, and CD's have a shelf-life in the order of 10x that of a HDD.

Not only that- they sound noticeably better when played through good equipment.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I'm the opposite. I keep CDs around as a backup, but will probably be dumping them in a landfill soon (there's no legal way to resell them considering I want to keep the electronic copy). I wish there was a viable way for me to do the same with my DVDs.

Uhm..."landfill"? I hope you're a time travellor from the 60's or something. But then you wouldn't know what a CD is...Why not DONATE them to the library rather than wastefully dumping them in the trash. Plus, it's very difficult to recycle CD's and DVD's. Heck, i would say about 10% of the music on my iTunes was "borrowed" from the library.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Heck, i would say about 10% of the music on my iTunes was "borrowed" from the library.

Excellent - a new source for me to complete my collection. Thank you.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    25 percent ?

That's unbelievable.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

The list is long, but rather distinguished.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Elgato has a fairly inexpensive x.264 hardware encoding USB device for people who want to do faster conversions. When I buy a DVD or want to watch any of the plethora of DVD's I own on my MBP I have to rip it because the crappy authentication software forced on consumers fails abysmally and doesn't allow the purchased disk to play. So I strip the encryption so I can use Apple's DVD playing app which I find to be quite nifty (except for the CSS code which just plain fails). Also for TV series on DVD I've always ripped the episodes to disk because the invariably clumsy menu systems on DVD's are just plain painful to use.

So there are two cases where broken or badly engineered products are enhanced by the efforts of hackers. I'd be pleased if stuff just worked well but I'm grateful that such useful tools are available.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That can also depend on how you are looking at the numbers. Music sales are plummeting in general.

What is really happening is that CD sales are falling faster than digital downloads are growing. CD sales will fall past digital download sales. but digital downloads are not really making up for the loss.

if you add in the pirated or stolen digital music then DL looms very large .
  • Reply 37 of 41
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I personally still prefer CDs to downloads. I like to have a tangible "original" copy.

what happened

was million's of us one morning awoke with 2000 cds on there ipod and there mac . and looked over at our cd collection and all that space seemed wasted.

i am stuffed to the gills with discs as it is ,boxing my cd collection was cool
  • Reply 38 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Elgato has a fairly inexpensive x.264 hardware encoding USB device for people who want to do faster conversions. When I buy a DVD or want to watch any of the plethora of DVD's I own on my MBP I have to rip it because the crappy authentication software forced on consumers fails abysmally and doesn't allow the purchased disk to play. So I strip the encryption so I can use Apple's DVD playing app which I find to be quite nifty (except for the CSS code which just plain fails).

Can you clarify that? I've never had this problem with Apple's DVD Player. I do wish they had some way to activate "Title Menu" and had better deinterlacing, but no CSS decoding errors.

Quote:

Also for TV series on DVD I've always ripped the episodes to disk because the invariably clumsy menu systems on DVD's are just plain painful to use.

I hadn't really had a major problem with DVD menus on movies or TV discs.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Elgato has a fairly inexpensive x.264 hardware encoding USB device for people who want to do faster conversions. When I buy a DVD or want to watch any of the plethora of DVD's I own on my MBP I have to rip it because the crappy authentication software forced on consumers fails abysmally and doesn't allow the purchased disk to play. So I strip the encryption so I can use Apple's DVD playing app which I find to be quite nifty (except for the CSS code which just plain fails).

Please put the blame where it belongs. It's not the CSS encryption that's the problem. Either: a) Apple's DVD software is badly written and doesn't handle it properly, b) Your computer has a problem, c) you accidentally changed the region code for the MBP's DVD drive to something other than Region 1 or d) you're buying a bunch of import DVD's with region coding and don't realize that's the problem. Considering you're saying all your DVD's won't play, I'd have to say it's either b or c.

Quote:

Also for TV series on DVD I've always ripped the episodes to disk because the invariably clumsy menu systems on DVD's are just plain painful to use.

Exaggerate much? Or maybe you have the patience of a gnat.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i am stuffed to the gills with discs as it is ,boxing my cd collection was cool

This is what I dread.

I'd rather hang on to books. I have several large bookshelves - nearly an entire library, really, and have no regrets.

But perhaps hanging on to CDs is the same as hanging on to books these days. I find much more value, both aesthetically and otherwise in books, but maybe it's all in the eye of the beholder anyway. Then again, I'm training to teach a the undergrad and postgrad level, so I WOULD like books anyway.

In any case, unless it's a limited edition or whatnot, I dread hanging on to CDs, DVDs, etc. I've got a RAID mirror setup (1TB x 2) for all my movies and shows - plenty of HD content, but also lots of DVD content. And for everything else I've got a whole whack of SD cards (about 15 of them, from 2gb to 16gb), and they all sit netly in a small box in my drawer, taking up virtually no space at all.

I've got a WD HD Mediaplyer attached ot my HD TV, with two portable external hard drives. That's my DVD/Blu Ray player, no discs required. Love it.

I feel so much better having freed up space in the condo.