Microsoft hopes to take on Apple with dual mobile platforms

Comments

• Reply 41 of 157
    6.5 and 7.0 are dual platform? Its more like triple confusion.
  • Reply 42 of 157
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Really, which smartphone manufacturer in his right mind would choose to pay royalties for WinMo when Android is not only free, but better?

WinMo is in its Wiley Coyote moment where it has already run off the cliff and is now suspended in air just waiting for the plunge that comes as soon as the realization that they're off the cliff sets in. It's dead. As dead as the hair on Ballmer's shiny.

What IE didst to Netscape, Android doeth to WinMo. Karma is a beautiful thing.
  • Reply 43 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Really, which smartphone manufacturer in his right mind would choose to pay royalties for WinMo when Android is not only free, but better?

WinMo is in its Wiley Coyote moment where it has already run off the cliff and is now suspended in air just waiting for the plunge that comes as soon as the realization that they're off the cliff sets in. It's dead. As dead as the hair on Ballmer's shiny.

What IE didst to Netscape, Android doeth to WinMo. Karma is a beautiful thing.

yes, and that is only the beginning, karma-wise...
  • Reply 44 of 157
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Good grief. If you can't deliver, then pre-announce.

It used to be a workable strategy, but that was when the competition was scared of Microsoft and customers weren't wary of this kind of tactic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Barney Frank had it all wrong.

I'd prefer people refrain from political comments anywhere except for Political Outsider. You never know when someone's going to go unhinged as a result.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Just more proof that Microsoft just doesn't get it.

Android is free - HTC have turned from a Windows Mobile OEM into an Android OEM, and I don't see this stopping their migration. Android has a lot of good things going for it. HTC was the biggest Windows Mobile OEM. Dell went straight to Android for their phone, not that they would want to It's just not what people want.

So we're up to three phones that use Android? Aren't there usually a dozen WiMo phones available at any given moment?
  • Reply 45 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtux View Post

From a technical point of view, Windows Mobile is already a superior platform to the iPhone. WM has full multi-tasking for example.

It's not accurate to say that the iPhone lacks "full multi-tasking" ? the phone supports multiple processes and applications running at once. The iPhone just insists that all of the other applications only run one-at-a-time to protect the user's battery-life. Also it allows the UI to be simpler and cleaner.
  • Reply 46 of 157
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    An experience like the iPhone? From Microsoft? If that ever happens, the Earth will reverse its axis.

For 7 years, they couldn't come up with an upgrade from the XP, and they will now somehow leapfrog and catch up with the iPhone. Give me a break. They will have to hire every software at Apple to accomplish that. And that is not going to happen. No way!
  • Reply 47 of 157
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Dual? If the Zune gets apps, it will be triple mobile platforms!
  • Reply 48 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

and steps down from the ceo chair...because this "strategy" is doing wonders for Apple. I say, keep him!

I agree and have long be saying this. Steve Balmer is no match to Steve Jobs.

I was also disappointed when the Yahoo deal was called off, I saw it it as MS opportunity to blow $20B -$30B. They were going to pay too much for it, and completely confuse Steve Balmer (not that he isn't already completely confused).

Steve Balmer & MS mismanagement stories are eagerly sought, as are Pystar stories. They amuse me!
  • Reply 49 of 157
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I

So we're up to three phones that use Android? Aren't there usually a dozen WiMo phones available at any given moment?

Yes, there are, but manufacturers of Win Mobile phone are now also making Android phones, or are about to. There are also less models of WM phones on the market now than last year, or the year before.
  • Reply 50 of 157
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

I was also disappointed when the Yahoo deal was called off, I saw it it as MS opportunity to blow $20B -$30B. They were going to pay too much for it, and completely confuse Steve Balmer (not that he isn't already completely confused).

Steve Balmer & MS mismanagement stories are eagerly sought, as are Pystar stories. They amuse me!

The number was $45 billion. It would have been a big problem for them with no guarantee that the two dropping systems wouldn't continue to drop after the merger. In fact, when two firms with problems merge, you usually get one bigger firm with problems.

That's what happened to Cingular and AT&T. No one here would argue that.
  • Reply 51 of 157
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:

From a technical point of view, Windows Mobile is already a superior platform to the iPhone. WM has full multi-tasking for example.

iPhone has full multi-tasking, background processes just aren't available to third-party developers.

Quote:

WM phones are going to continue being also-rans bought only by businesses running Exchange who don't want to pay extra for a Crackberry.

The iPhone does Exchange perfectly well, so stick the Crackberry.
  • Reply 52 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elgronk View Post

Hahahahahahahahahaha. I made the mistake recently of buying an HTC Touch Pro 2. Windows Mobile is so bad that HTC feel obliged to write their own UI/OS on top to try and make it appear competitive. The result is a botched user experience that is partially Windows, partially HTC and all bad.

How have Microsoft failed so badly with their implementation of a mobile OS? My personal belief is that they have become fat, bloated and lazy. WinMo was good enough so why bother innovating until the iPhone and then Android came along and now they have been caught so badly with their pants down that their earliest response! is really in 2010. Don't kid yourselves WinMo 6.5 is not really much better than HTC's skin and is really just to try and avoid mass defection from a lazy, non intuitive and frankly dull platform. For me the turning point was their Oracle of all things mobile Jason Langridge left to become a BD manager for Apple.

Microsoft is living proof that evolution works and if you don't fit with your environment you're finished.

Evolution through intelligent design
  • Reply 53 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This. Well put.

After two full years MS is still stuck in the Dark Ages. They've changed their "mobile strategy" several times, to the point where they don't know whether they're coming or going. There is a horrible lack of focus at MS, and it all comes down to its corporate culture.

MS management needs to be overhauled completey. They can start by getting rid of Ballmer. The poor idiots are all over the map.

No, keep Ballmer. He is doing fantastic work for Microsoft. The best man for that job. Ask any Apple employee.
  • Reply 54 of 157
    I'll see how nice Windows Mobile 7. Sometimes, although I feel that the iPhone is still the best smartphone around, too many people are using it [ the rich ( i'm here ) and those who cannot afford it yet put a hole in their pockets just to get one...
  • Reply 55 of 157
    Quote:

Steve Ballmer= Fail

Steve Jobs= Epic success!
  • Reply 56 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Dual? If the Zune gets apps, it will be triple mobile platforms!

Say Nagromme, you're a 601 on MacRumors right? Nice to meet you here.
  • Reply 57 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

6.5 and 7.0 are dual platform? Its more like triple confusion.

Make that Quad Core Confusion!
  • Reply 58 of 157
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

By the time that WinMo6.5Touch comes out (never mind WinMo7), there could easily be a dozen Android phones across a wide spectrum of price points. I'm sure there are more than three currently as well.

By the time WinMo7 comes out, we'll be on iPhone OS 4 - presumably the OS that will allow a certain level of multitasking on the iPhone 4, because said phone will likely have a couple of Cortex A9s inside. I just find it hard to imagine what they can add to iPhone OS in the future, but I guess they have a lot of ideas. A premium app store will encourage bigger, better apps. WinMo7 will have to be backward compatible with old WinMo applications using the stylus interface, and that's going to result in old apps being difficult to use and fitting in badly (hah, described Windows well, doesn't it!) and developers wondering if it is worth porting them to WinMo7's new UI system (presumably a variant of Silverlight if they have any sense). I'm sure Android will be a more desirable development target by then.
  • Reply 59 of 157
    Quote:

So does the iPhone, obviously, as many of Apple's apps multitask. I realize I'm being pedantic, but really, so is saying that that one feature means the platform is superior.

Quote:

But that's not why the iPhone rocks. The iPhone rocks because it has a slick UI.

I disagree, I think the iPhone rocks for the simple reason that it does what it says it will do, and you can actually do those things. There are many bad things in the iPhone UI, but I can still use the browser.

I had a Motorola phone that, on paper, had more features than my iPhone. Music, browser, camera, video, all sorts of stuff. Couldn't use any of it. The music could only be moved on or off with a custom program that didn't work. The browser was absolutely useless, and although you could take grainy pictures, there was no way to get the off the phone. It was completely useless for anything other than making calls.

What the customer knows when they buy an Apple product, any Apple product, is that it will do the things it claims to. You buy the iPhone, plug it in, and you have all your contacts, all your music, all your podcasts, all your web pages, presto. They all work, maybe not perfectly, but they work.

No one else can offer this. I don't understand why that is, but one only has to look at the Zune. Great hardware, better than an iPod. Would you ever buy one? No way! Why? You know why, the software sucks. So you have a great machine that you can't use, like the long string of products before it.

Maury
  • Reply 60 of 157
    Quote:

Yeah, same here. MS is in the same position Apple was around '91-'95: cash flush and throwing developers at every new buzzword that pundits started saying was the next big thing, when it was already peaked.

For Apple we had PowerTalk/X.400 (e-mail in the CIS era), DAM/CL-1/DAL (when data access was cool), SOM (when CORBA was the next big thing) etc. Apple did not understand these markets, and only entered them because they believed they were invincible and could beat anyone else at anything. Meanwhile the core OS was completely ignored for years.

Now fast forward 10 years, and we have MS doing Sharepoint, Yahoo and Bing. It's the same thing all over again.

Maury