Apple predicted to sell 5M copies of Snow Leopard at launch

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In a new research note to investors, Piper Jaffray has forecast that Apple's new Snow Leopard operating system will sell 5 million copies during its launch window in the September quarter.

Senior Research Analyst Gene Munster believes the sales will bring Apple an additional $66 million in operating revenue during the quarter. However, he believes those totals are already "baked in" to Wall Street's own numbers, given that the sales window and $29 price of Snow Leopard were already known earlier this summer. The $66 million in income would amount to 5 cents in earnings per share for the quarter.

The $29 price point is designed to put a dent in sales of Microsoft Windows. He said the finely tuned operating system upgrade will be used to portray the Mac platform as superior to Windows machines.

"The release of Snow Leopard is not about new features; rather, it is about keeping Mac users up to date with the latest technology vs. Windows XP and Vista users on antiquated technology in our opinion," the note reads.

Munster believes that Snow Leopard has an advantage over Windows because it comes with support for Microsoft Exchange built in. Out of the box, Snow Leopard machines will support Exchange for e-mail, contacts and calendars, and the overall system will run faster when compared to Leopard.

The new note estimates that there is a OS X install base of over 40 million. For comparison, Apple sold 2 million copies of Leopard in 4 days to a install base of about 23 million OS X users in October of 2007. For that launch, Apple sold a total of 3.5 million copies for the quarter. At that time, customer satisfaction with Leopard was said to be driving explosive Mac sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    I just ordered a family pack, which will probably be counted as 5 copies even though I'll only install on three.

Sheldon
  • Reply 2 of 112
    OK..... this will ruffle a few feathers.

But, on behalf of us lay folks, can someone explain what is so hot about 10.6 (other than setting up for future HW/SW developments, smaller footprint, and a few eye-candy enhancements)? I am not saying improvements are not welcome, but I am just failing to see the great leap forward.......
  • Reply 3 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But, on behalf of us lay folks, can someone explain what is so hot about 10.6 (other than setting up for future HW/SW developments, smaller footprint, and a few eye-candy enhancements)? I am not saying improvements are not welcome, but I am just failing to see the great leap forward.......

64 bit.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

I have been running the beta for months now. I can report that it is much faster, network connect on my laptop happens almost prior to me getting the cover fully open, and the new expose feature that groups windows when you hold down the app icon is a real time saver.

And while I don't have empirical data, I have noticed that my machine has stopped paging, ever, while on regular leopard it would occasionally. This seems to indicate that Snow Leopard is more efficient with memory.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I have been running the beta for months now. I can report that it is much faster, network connect on my laptop happens almost prior to me getting the cover fully open, and the new expose feature that groups windows when you hold down the app icon is a real time saver.

And while I don't have empirical data, I have noticed that my machine has stopped paging, ever, while on regular leopard it would occasionally. This seems to indicate that Snow Leopard is more efficient with memory.

And it it really worth the upgrade?

is safari faster?

Bootup time, is it faster?

does your pc Think a lot(rainbow cirlce)

is iphone and moblie me synching better?

Please reply

• Reply 6 of 112
    How the hell is Snow Leopard putting a dent in Windows 7? That's like throwing a cup of water on a forest fire. Only a tiny number of Mac Intel users can even use Snow Leopard. There must easily be a couple of hundred million XP users that could upgrade to Windows 7 and those computers would still most likely be useable. I'm likely to continue using old Windows XP because I don't see the point of wasting the energy to get a minimum of features and a slowdown by installing Windows 7.

Anyway, Snow Leopard is nothing compared to Windows 7 as far as amount of purchasers is concerned. Why even bother to mention it in the same article. 5 million copies...Pfft.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I know what you mean, and I'm using it. They are working on a tablet while this is going on though, so it's a lot to do all at once. This is why it's $29, anything more would have caused great annoyance.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

64 bit.

Say more......?
  • Reply 9 of 112
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

The $29 price point is designed to put a dent in sales of Microsoft Windows. He said the finely tuned operating system upgrade will be used to portray the Mac platform as superior to Windows machines.

"The release of Snow Leopard is not about new features; rather, it is about keeping Mac users up to date with the latest technology vs. Windows XP and Vista users on antiquated technology in our opinion," the note reads.

Munster believes that Snow Leopard has an advantage over Windows because it comes with support for Microsoft Exchange built in. Out of the box, Snow Leopard machines will support Exchange for e-mail, contacts and calendars, and the overall system will run faster when compared to Leopard.

Gene Munster doesn't know what he is talking about.

First of all, Snow Leopard will not "put a dent in sales of Microsoft Windows" simply because Apple doesn't licence Mac OS X for any PC not built for Apple. Unless you own a Mac, you cannot buy and use Snow Leopard on a PC.

Second, Windows 7 was released to manufacturing and volume license users one month ago, even though it will not be available on new computers until October 22, 2009. What is the point of comparing Snow Leopard with either Windows XP or Vista?

Finally, Microsoft owns Microsoft Exchange. What is the point of saying:

"Munster believes that Snow Leopard has an advantage over Windows because it comes with support for Microsoft Exchange built in. Out of the box, Snow Leopard machines will support Exchange for e-mail, contacts and calendars"

Does Munster know anything? Is he just pumping the stock?

P.S.: The release of Snow Leopard is great news. It will spur sales of new Macs and upgrades to the new OS.

• Reply 10 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

64 bit.

Applications, 64bit Applications. Is there a list off 64 bit applications somewhere?
  • Reply 11 of 112
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    I think his point about Exchange is that having seamless exchange support built-in to Apple's own applications (rather than having to suffer with Entourage) removes a HUGE barrier to entry in Corporate Environments.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a new research note to investors, Piper Jaffray has forecast that Apple's new Snow Leopard operating system will sell 5 million copies during its launch window in the September quarter.

Sounds like silly BS speak to me. What is a launch window? To me, that implies that it is offered for sale, and later retracted from the market.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    for MS it's even better than the good old days of the 1980's and 1990's. Now they get paid even when people buy Apple. and they're getting paid for 2-3 licenses for an Exchange CAL per Apple user
  • Reply 14 of 112
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    duplicate
  • Reply 15 of 112
    Quote:

Say more......?

A 64 bit operating system provides a wider "bandwidth" of information, in other words, it can process twice as much information as the older 32 bit OSes could, making it (and apps optimized for 64 bit) much faster. It can also address up to (I think) 32 gigs of RAM.

All this in one version of the OS. Windows has a 64 bit version, but one must buy it separately from the 32 bit version, and I think it costs more. With Snow Leopard, one will have both a 32 AND a 64 bit OS, both installed on the same machine, all-in-one - and on a footprint that is 6 gigs smaller than the present Leopard.

Additionally, the Finder has been rewritten, all in Cocoa, so look here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/

for what that means.

Also, look here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/

for more information on 64 bit-ness, and on how that will make your Mac more secure.

Most of the enhancements to SL are under the hood, not much eye candy this time around. The addition of Exchange to SL IS huge, no matter how some folks may like to belittle it. The lack of Exchange compatibility is likely to push some Enterprise outfits into using SL, as for many, the lack of it was a show-stopper.

And, yes, it IS quite the right thing to do to compare SL to XP or Vista, since, first of all, vastly more folks use those OSes than will even contemplate buying Win7, and many of them will need to buy a new computer to do so - so, why not look into buying a new computer with an OS that won't take as much work? Same thing that pushed lots of folks into buying Macs instead of Vista.

The same paradigm is at work here too.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

How the hell is Snow Leopard putting a dent in Windows 7? That's like throwing a cup of water on a forest fire. Only a tiny number of Mac Intel users can even use Snow Leopard.

Uh, since when is every single user of a product (Mac Intel) a "tiny number"?

Mac OS Snow leopard system requirement

"Mac computer with an Intel processor

1GB of memory

5GB of available disk space

DVD drive for installation"

Which Mac Intel users cannot use Snow Leopard?

Quote:

Anyway, Snow Leopard is nothing compared to Windows 7 as far as amount of purchasers is concerned. Why even bother to mention it in the same article. 5 million copies...Pfft.

Likely for the same reason MS mentions Apple for any reason.

If Apple is such a small player and MS has absolutely nothing to be concerned with, why anti-Apple commmercials?

Why does Balmer ever mention Apple and look like an idiont in the process of doing so?

Besides, why not go after Apple users to install Windows on their Macs? They make a lot more money per copy of Windows for a full retail version than they do for an OEM license.

MS should stick to selling their OS, not computers, especially when they could get an additional plus X million users.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rahrens View Post

And, yes, it IS quite the right thing to do to compare SL to XP or Vista, since, first of all, vastly more folks use those OSes than will even contemplate buying Win7, and many of them will need to buy a new computer to do so -

You have this totally wrong: Win 7 will become pervasive in the installed base of PCs and will reduce the Apple converts, as well.. I have Win 7 installed on a 4 year old, 1 GB sony Vaio and it works great. It is stable, fast and the install went VERY smoothly. I use Win 7/64 on my MBP for business reasons (MS Visio and MS Project) and it a terrific OS. Is it as good as OSX 10.5.8 or 10.6? No, but MS has significantly closed the gap with Win 7. Apple HAD to release Snore(sic) Leopard now to avoid the coming Tsunami. Corporate America has been waiting for 4 years for Win 7, a stable fast version of Vista, and it has arrived. There will be a mass adoption at the corporate level as well.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    £39 in the UK. not happy about that. ill still be pre-ordering though!

EDIT: just worked out i ordered the wrong version. in the words of james may, "COCK!"
  • Reply 19 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

How the hell is Snow Leopard putting a dent in Windows 7? That's like throwing a cup of water on a forest fire. Only a tiny number of Mac Intel users can even use Snow Leopard. There must easily be a couple of hundred million XP users that could upgrade to Windows 7 and those computers would still most likely be useable. I'm likely to continue using old Windows XP because I don't see the point of wasting the energy to get a minimum of features and a slowdown by installing Windows 7.

And exactly how many people who spent maybe $300 on a netbook are going to pay more than half that to upgrade to Windows 7? Also, considering Microsoft's horrible track record with new OSs, quite a few potential buyers are going to initially sit on the sidelines to determine what Windows 7 is like in the wild.

In contrast, the price of updating to Snow Leopard is very attractive and it's simply not the case that most Mac Intel users will be unable to use Snow Leopard. It's compatible with my two-year-old Mac Mini, so I doubt any newer Macs will have a problem running the thing.

The fact is that no matter how good Windows 7 happens to be, the adoption will be very slow in coming. Snow Leopard, on the other hand, will hit the ground running.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

£39 in the UK. not happy about that. ill still be pre-ordering though!

£25.00 for Single user.

£39.00 for Family 5 pack.