Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard

2456710

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 191
    I have been annoyed with Adobe for a while .. now I am livid !



    The sooner Apple or somebody else provides a viable alternative to this crapheap of slow old OS9 code, the better



    I can't believe it's still carbon .. it's slow and a TOTAL MEMORY USEAGE DISASTER ZONE



    Now, I hear that the 2K package I bought only 18 months ago is unsupported .. looking forward to your demise Adobe !
  • Reply 22 of 191
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post


    If you have any memory of the recent evolution of OS X, Adobe has bent over backwards for this platform:



    2000 - 2002: Migration of suite from OS 9 to OS X, a completely new OS.



    2005-2006: Migration from PPC/Codeweaver to Universal/Xcode. This required changing not just their code base, but their entire development process, using a yet unproven tool: XCode. They even helped Apple improve XCode during this process.



    2008- Sorry, Adobe, we changed our mind: no 64-bit Carbon. This forced Adobe to move their entire suite to Cocoa for CS5.



    They are doing a remarkable job keeping up with these changes in the course of their regular upgrade cycle. I think things will finally settle down for them, as there is not much left that Apple can do to them, but they have had a rough nine years supporting a huge, complex suite on the Mac platform. We should all be thankful they didn't give up or simply skip major releases on the Mac.



    Adobe was told in 1998 that they should code in Cocoa, but they didn't want to and Carbon was "invented".
  • Reply 23 of 191
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 1,460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post


    This is just pure greed. CS3 wasn't replaced until last year, that's a really short support timeframe for such expensive software.



    If I read the article correctly, they are still supporting it, just not on Snow Leopard. Nobody says you have to upgrade your computer to Snow Leopard, and Adobe shouldn't be on the hook for the costs involved with that. Leopard is still a robust, capable operating system and Adobe knows that.



    If I recall correctly, CS4 was a complete rewrite using many OS X technologies, rather than being a code-port with the Windows version, and Snow Leopard, while subtle on the surface, is a major reworking under the hood. It makes sense why Adobe would do this, although unfortunate.
  • Reply 24 of 191
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    There's also a report on Apple 2.0 this morning that Photoshop Elements 6 has problems with Snow Leopard. That's a pretty big-selling product.



    Adobe is either asleep at the wheel or hassling Apple.



    Do you have a link? All I can find about SL application compatibility is a reference to snowleopard.wikidot.com, which is currently cratered.



    If true, that woulds a huge problem because it's not one that can be fixed by buying a newer version.



    Makes me glad that I was able to buy an additional Mac for home use that still shipped with Leopard a couple of weeks ago.
  • Reply 25 of 191
    jpmukjpmuk Posts: 19member
    Spitting mad is something of an understatement to describe how I feel.



    Creative Suite is WAY overpriced for what it offers (very incremental feature increases every 18 months). I bought CS3 as an upgrade to the original CS (missing out CS2) and apart from being Intel native I only noticed very minimal improvements and nothing that helps me be particularly more productive (native speed gain excluded, if you were using Windows would you really have noticed much improvement at all?).



    I know more people who are still using CS3 than those using CS4 for exactly the same reasons as me. Adobe, make us WANT to upgrade. Be more innovative. There are loads of chequebooks waiting to be opened if you can give us something we really feel can help us, but don't do it this way. Don't kick your loyal users in the groin 2 days before they are about to upgrade their OS.



    I'm ready now to explore some alternatives. Coda for one to replace Dreamweaver. Need to do some investigating...
  • Reply 26 of 191
    Ouch... but I'm not surprised.



    Snow Leopard is really a fresh start for Apple in many ways. It's the only way that they can stay competitive AND innovate.



    I'm looking forward to Friday.
  • Reply 27 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post


    Spitting mad is something of an understatement to describe how I feel.



    Creative Suite is WAY overpriced for what it offers (very incremental feature increases every 18 months). I bought CS3 as an upgrade to the original CS (missing out CS2) and apart from being Intel native I only noticed very minimal improvements and nothing that helps me be particularly more productive (native speed gain excluded, if you were using Windows would you really have noticed much improvement at all?).



    I know more people who are still using CS3 than those using CS4 for exactly the same reasons as me. Adobe, make us WANT to upgrade. Be more innovative. There are loads of chequebooks waiting to be opened if you can give us something we really feel can help us, but don't do it this way. Don't kick your loyal users in the groin 2 days before they are about to upgrade their OS.



    I'm ready now to explore some alternatives. Coda for one to replace Dreamweaver. Need to do some investigating...



    CS5 will make me want to open my pocketbook. I look forward to real 64bit support.
  • Reply 28 of 191
    wessanwessan Posts: 37member
    Would be nice to have something like Aperture Studio to compete with Adobe. Aperture is a great piece of SW and adding a second Photoshop-like application even not as good as Photoshop in its first version would maybe make Adobe thing about better OS X support. Apple has already shown that is is able to create an image editing SW and application for editing photos would go nicely with Final Cut and Logic Studios.
  • Reply 29 of 191
    morkymorky Posts: 178member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post


    You're kidding right?



    Each of these platform changes you mentioned also provided Adobe with a reason for a new version of their suite to encourage upgrades and hence make a lot of money. As for Carbon/Cocoa any developer with half a brain would know that Cocoa is/was the only long term framework for mac os and that that is what they should have focused on years ago. Adobe's task would be easier if its apps weren't bloated pigs. Acrobat reader is a prime example. Apple's preview does a better job and loads in second.



    Apple was pretty clear they intended to promote Carbon for the long haul, and were even using it themselves in such basic tools as the finder. They were explicitly working on enabling 64-bit Carbon before announcing they were dropping that at the WWDC. Also, maybe they were thinking about going Cocoa in 2005 and got sidetracked by the massive undertaking of moving to Intel and XCode.



    Acrobat Reader is, of course, a crime against humanity. Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign are pretty awesome, however, and are bloated pigs because they can perform very complex functions for the professional market. There is a reason that real Photoshop-killer has failed to emerge.
  • Reply 30 of 191
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post


    If I read the article correctly, they are still supporting it, just not on Snow Leopard. Nobody says you have to upgrade your computer to Snow Leopard, and Adobe shouldn't be on the hook for the costs involved with that. Leopard is still a robust, capable operating system and Adobe knows that.



    Except that you may no longer be able to buy a replacement system with Leopard installed and supported, as of Friday.



    It'll be very interesting to see whether Adobe continues to provide support for CS3 on Windows 7 when it's released this fall.
  • Reply 31 of 191
    morkymorky Posts: 178member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post


    Adobe was told in 1998 that they should code in Cocoa, but they didn't want to and Carbon was "invented".



    Not quite. Apple created Carbon to not obliterate 10 years of Mac application support, and allow applications to be rapidly ported, including a lot of Apple's own. The first demo was IE running on Mac OS X before MS had even seen the new interface. A lot of Apple programs are still written in Carbon, even in Leopard.
  • Reply 32 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ccchr View Post


    They shouldn't be surprised if people obtain illegal copies of their latest CS4. Somehow the "evil" factor is still very predominant with old companies. When does the greed end?



    When the world end that's when greed end.
  • Reply 33 of 191
    Adobe Customer Support is an oxymoron.
  • Reply 34 of 191
    gmacgmac Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    If you thought it was so easy and inexpensive, perhaps you should have applied to do it for them.



    I never said it was easy or inexpensive.
  • Reply 35 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post


    CS5 will make me want to open my pocketbook. I look forward to real 64bit support.



    That's why Adobe not supporting it to make CS5 better with 64-bit. When they do release it then people may change the perception of Adobe, but right not everybody got that slapped in the face reaction.
  • Reply 36 of 191
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulinskip View Post


    I wonder if they wont support Vista when Windows 7 comes out!!!!!



    it's the other way around. in the same sense of this story, they would not support CS3 install on Windows 7.

    however, even cs1 works on windows 7.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wessan View Post


    Apple has already shown that is is able to create an image editing SW and application for editing photos would go nicely with Final Cut and Logic Studios.



    heh, final cut was macromedia and logic was emagic. to release a photo editing suite, apple need to purchase another company.
  • Reply 37 of 191
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post


    Not quite. Apple created Carbon to not obliterate 10 years of Mac application support, and allow applications to be rapidly ported, including a lot of Apple's own. The first demo was IE running on Mac OS X before MS had even seen the new interface. A lot of Apple programs are still written in Carbon, even in Leopard.



    In the original Rhapsody plan Carbon was nowhere to be found.



    It wasn't until later that Carbon was announced, and that was in large part because of Adobe (and Microsoft).
  • Reply 38 of 191
    wprowewprowe Posts: 33member
    I wonder what adobe's time frame is for cs5. it might be worth it for cs3 owners to wait until cs5 to also do the snow leopard upgrade. it isn't like leopard doesn't work. with adobe's short time frame between releases (18 months?), it would seem plausible that cs5 would be just around the corner in 2010. given that possibility, maybe i should wait to upgrade to snow leopard until i can get cs5. i would hate to drop money on cs4 now and have them release cs5 in six or eight months.
  • Reply 39 of 191
    If there was ever a justification for pirating software, Adobe is at the forefront of making a case. CS3 isn't a decade old legacy program; its not even three years old.
  • Reply 40 of 191
    gustavgustav Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flippetybob View Post


    The sooner Apple or somebody else provides a viable alternative to this crapheap of slow old OS9 code, the better



    I can't believe it's still carbon .. it's slow and a TOTAL MEMORY USEAGE DISASTER ZONE



    You are gravely mistaken. Carbon is not slower than Cocoa, nor does it use more RAM. I don't know about Snow Leopard, but in Leopard and earlier, some of the MacOS X Cocoa frame works run on top of Carbon. QuickTime and menu management come to mind.
Sign In or Register to comment.