Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 141 of 191
    I'll be the bad guy here... but I've been using Adobe software since Photoshop 3 (and Macromedia since 1999)... and NEVER paid for any of it. Just could never afford any of it, it's not priced for the regular person on a budget or has better things to put their money towards - like having a life and investing. $1800 for CS4?? Come on now, really, I can't afford that and refuse to believe it cost even half that to engineer, produce, and market!!

Adobe is being greedy and foolish with this, CS4 is only a minor upgrade from CS3 anyway, why alienate your faithful user-base who does pay. Especially for only one version back, I could see if it was CS2, but CS3 just came out in what - late '07 or so?

This is a pure 100% greedy money grab to try and force users to upgrade!!!
  • Reply 142 of 191
    To the whiners:

1. No one is holding a gun to your heads making you get Snow Leopard

2. CS5 will be out in April if Adobe keep to their 18 month average. So wait til then to upgrade from CS3 and Leopard if it hurts that bad to do it now.

3. A company like Adobe's ability to develop software is limited (no, they don't have thousands of engineers working on each product). So of course they can't be expected to support a product last sold a year ago for a brand new OS.

3. Too many of you like finding excuses to pirate (=steal) software. "Wah, the publicly traded company has to make a profit...wah!" So no, they don't give it away, and yes, they do encourage folks to upgrade. Now grow up. You'd probably steal cars if they were downloadable...

No, I don't work for Adobe. I'm a professional who makes a living with their products as well as teaches them. CS4 dramatically enhanced my productivity and I look forward to Friday's release of SL.
  • Reply 143 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post

Didn't want to entertain SpiffMonkey's unwarranted insults. Remember when you point your finger there are three pointing back at you.

You're only proving Zoolook's point. Besides, who's pointing fingers? I'm sharing my position that your demands for infinite support and and infinitely cheaper software are absurd.

It reminds me of how angry everyone was when G3's got dropped from OSX. Apple, Adobe etc etc. have to make these calls to put their efforts into new features (which the lack of, everyone seems to be unhappy about) rather than updating old code; otherwise you end up with MS office, Windows Vista and Internet Explorer. Adobe probably realized their apps are a little bloated and lacking compelling features. Hence the reason they are slowly dropping PPC and now CS3 support; to make better applications.

Like I said earlier. It's a bummer but it has to happen and I for one am glad that they are giving us the heads up (for the overall product map) before the axe falls if you will, since these types of changes will effect our studio's purchasing decisions pretty dramatically.
  • Reply 144 of 191
    John Nack's blog has been updated - turns out CS3 does work on Snow Leopard:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/08...owleopard.html
  • Reply 145 of 191
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the bigger issue with CS# is that Adobe has forced us into buying the suites. Unfortunately for us we need the Master Collection because you can't mix and match. I would much rather have the individual apps but that would cost thousands more. I have absolutely no need for half the stuff in the Master Collection but what I do need is:

InDesign

Photoshop

Illustrator

Acrobat Pro

Flash Professional

Dreamweaver

You would have to buy the Web and the Design Suites and buy After Effects separately, which is what we did until CS4 when I just gave up. Now I'm considering returning to upgrading the single apps on an as needed basis, but it is a no win situation.

Amen brother.
  • Reply 146 of 191
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aTeacher View Post

1. No one is holding a gun to your heads making you get Snow Leopard

Try to keep up.

If you have to replace your Mac next month, you won't be able get a supported copy of Leopard on it.

If you have to replace you Mac after the next hardware refresh, you may not be able to get Leopard to run on it at all (supported or not).
  • Reply 147 of 191
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Adobe has had a pattern of only releasing one update after the initial release of a version, unlike Apple that constantly fixes their program between upgrades. I think with CS3 they may have issued another bug fix or two, though. I don't know how much money Adobe has; if this is cost-prohibitive for them. I would hate for them to charge us more than they already are for their upgrades.

Another thing that ticks me off with Adobe is that they almost entirely refuse to support Apple-specific features. For instance, Control-Command-D clicking on a word will not bring up the pop-up dictionary like it will for any Apple-built Mac app.
  • Reply 148 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

You're only proving Zoolook's point. Besides, who's pointing fingers? I'm sharing my position that your demands for infinite support and and infinitely cheaper software are absurd.

Your position would have been respected had you not thrown in the personal attacks. Your words quoted below, not mine. I am happy you are better than the rest of us, so we will just go on living our lowly existence in the shadow of your awe inspiring heavenly glory.

?Obviously you barely use Final Cut.?

?God your like a 13 year old kid.?

?a few superfluous features that some editing nerds "must Have".?

?Since you probably pirated the software anyway (otherwise you'd just upgrade cheapskate)?
  • Reply 149 of 191
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    I own stock in both Apple and Adobe.

I'm a little concerned about the increase in pirating that Adobe's decision may bring, but thieves are thieves; what are you gonna do?

Overall, I think Adobe has done the right thing. Everyone's acting like it's a cinch to switch humungous apps from Carbon to Cocoa, but even Apple hasn't done it. Further, Snow Leopard won't even work on G5 Power Macs...

WTF is the difference?
  • Reply 150 of 191
    Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 is what I've used on my 10.4.11 to build websites with.

I've been looking to Snow Leopard to come pre-installed on MacBook Pro 17.

Now, please someone tell me which Adobe product I need to get? I've been using Dreamweaver only out of that entire Dreamweaver 8 Suite - paid $199, I think for the Education Version... It was a while back though, so I don't remember exactly....

Can I buy just a Dreamweaver? Which Version? Is there one for Education? Then what? Do I just Copy my Sites Folders on my new MBP 17, and the next Dreamweaver, most current one, will open my sites?

My main concern is that all links and Templates work, and that it won't all fall apart!

I wonder if the latest Dreamweaver has a WYSIWYG ala iWeb?

I'd also love to know that the latest Dreamweaver will run on my Powerbook G4, 10.4.11, so that if I ever need to send my MBP to Apple Care, I can still work on my site with that latest Dreamweaver running on Powerbook G4, 10.4.11. I am also considering, with hesitation, to leave my PB G4 as is, under 10.4.11, and not upgrade it to Leopard, 10.5.8? Don't want to rock the boat, or at least not till I am fully settled into MBP 17 under Snow Leopard!

If latest Dreamweaver turns out not to be the best option, is there a consensus app that I could buy, so that it can read or convert my site, that I built with Dreamweaver 8? I remember hearing about such apps, but also recall something about them being in a proprietary format, so that one can't work on the same site, if it was created by another app...

Wish all that was simple as Tab Delimited, Comma Separated Format, so that the data is as portable as is often the case between various Databases, that can Export/Import each other's files....

BTW, on my 10.4.11, I've been using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, and it works fine! Although, I mostly use it to downsize file size of the photos for my website, so that pages load quickest!

Can't wait to hear back from someone kind enough to educate me about that! I hope that there is some kind of latest Dreamweaver for Education out there for me, so that I can go ahead with the purchase of MBP 17 with Snow Leopard on it.... Waiting till April seems like eternity!

Thanks to all for their posts! Fascinating perspectives!
  • Reply 151 of 191
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Can I buy just a Dreamweaver? Which Version? Is there one for Education? Then what? Do I just Copy my Sites Folders on my new MBP 17, and the next Dreamweaver, most current one, will open my sites?

Yes Dreamweaver saves your site info in .ste files. But you should have a separate record of the login info for all your sites: host, username, password as well as a complete back up. When you buy a new Mac you can transfer all your data from an old mac. The Apple store will do the transfer for you if you need help.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

If latest Dreamweaver turns out not to be the best option, is there a consensus app that I could buy, so that it can read or convert my site, that I built with Dreamweaver 8? I remember hearing about such apps, but also recall something about them being in a proprietary format, so that one can't work on the same site, if it was created by another app...

It is important to know that Dreamweaver files are just plain text and almost any text editor can make changes to the web site and any ftp client can update the remote site. Depending too much on Dreamweaver limits your understanding of how websites actually work. You would do well to try your hand at editing the source code in the text view to gain understanding of the methods at work behind the scenes of the WYSIWYG (sort of) interface.
  • Reply 152 of 191
    I am with Adobe on this one. If you are a professional setup using Adobe products, you should not upgrade to Snow Leopard until you are certain all of your applications work on Snow Leopard. IT companies didn't upgrade to Vista from XP for a long time to ensure application compatibility (and the fact that Vista runs like shit on the same hardware).

Apple has pulled a nice trick by making the OS run a bit faster on the same hardware. They did this by shaking up the foundation. Innovation is good, but it has some costs to it. Like everyone says, Leopard is a very good OS and it already works on your machine and runs all of your applications.

Note: People say CS3 works on Snow Leopard, so YMMV.
  • Reply 153 of 191
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just a question; wouldn't the tools Apple now provide to developers for Snow Kitty conversion be of any help to Adobe with CS3 or is there a technical problem preventing this?

No, most of CS3 is AFAIK developed using CodeWarrior (which no longer exists) and can't just be imported into Xcode.
  • Reply 154 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Except that you may no longer be able to buy a replacement system with Leopard installed and supported, as of Friday.

It'll be very interesting to see whether Adobe continues to provide support for CS3 on Windows 7 when it's released this fall.

CS3 (and in fact any app that worked with Vista) works perfectly with Windows 7.

This is a disgrace and reminds me of how CS2 never really worked properly on Leopard because Adobe refused to support it.

This is a case for Apple to fix, It is a complete disgrace and Adobe deserve every pirate who rips off their over priced ridiculous software.
  • Reply 155 of 191
    Windows 7 runs faster on old hardware and yet CS3 runs perfectly ?

You need to stop treating marketing speak like gospel, Snow Leopard is simply Apple dumping PPC code out of OSX to make life easier for them, it is not an innovative leap into the future, expect that next time around.
  • Reply 156 of 191
    Call Adobe, let them know that you demand support for CS3 on Snow Leopard - here's the number:

Adobe Customer Service

800-833-6687

7 days a week

6am-8pm (Pacific time)

Count me in as another longtime Adobe user who finally had to register with AppleInsider because this issue has made me so angry. Over the past 8 years I've bought the Adobe "suite" three times - the 9.0 series, CS1, and CS3. It's great software, but very expensive. I've always planned to buy every other release (I'm waiting for CS5) and, so far, that's worked out very well for me.

I don't know what I'm going to do, but I know what Adobe should do . . . support their loyal customers and reinforce their market share. They may be desperate to boost sales of CS4, but they're turning off a LOT of longtime (and formally loyal) users. Glad I stuck with Quark so Adobe doesn't have a complete monopoly over my business.
  • Reply 157 of 191
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by james808 View Post

Which is misleading at best, since the official PDF clearly states in reference to CS3: "Older versions of our creative software will not be updated to support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6)." So yes, Adobe themselves DID say that CS3 is not supported on Snow Leopard.

Talking about taking things out of context

Q. Will older versions of Adobe creative software—such as Adobe Creative Suite 3 or Macromedia® Studio 8 software—support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6)?

A. Older versions of Adobe creative software were not included in our testing efforts. While older Adobe and Macromedia applications may install and run on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6), they were designed, tested, and released to the public several years before this new operating system became available. You may therefore experience a variety of installation, stability, and reliability issues for which there is no resolution. Older versions of our creative software will not be updated to support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6).

Again, I repeat for those of you who can read, read, especially the links to the PDF and Live on Adobe.com* (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/):

From Adobe:

"No one said anything about CS3 being "not supported" on Snow Leopard. The plan, however, is not to take resources away from other efforts (e.g. porting Photoshop to Cocoa) in order to modify 2.5-year-old software in response to changes Apple makes in the OS foundation."

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/08...opard_faq.html

*FAQ. Check out Support for PowerPC platform
  • Reply 158 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Talking about taking things out of context

You may therefore experience a variety of installation, stability, and reliability issues for which there is no resolution. Older versions of our creative software will not be updated to support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6).

Clearly your definitions of support and reading comprehension are different than mine. How in the world do you interpret that as CS3 being supported?
  • Reply 159 of 191
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by james808 View Post

Clearly your definitions of support and reading comprehension are different than mine. How in the world do you interpret that as CS3 being supported?

Is it the bit where it doesn't say it's not being supported? CS3 is still mentioned on Adobe's product support pages, so to say they're not supporting is false. Admittededly they're not supporting Apple's Snow Leopard, but them Apple isn't supporting CS3 either, so why isn't anybody getting pissed at them??
  • Reply 160 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

Is it the bit where it doesn't say it's not being supported? CS3 is still mentioned on Adobe's product support pages, so to say they're not supporting is false. Admittededly they're not supporting Apple's Snow Leopard, but them Apple isn't supporting CS3 either, so why isn't anybody getting pissed at them??

This whole thread is in reference to Snow Leopard, not the overall support status of CS3 in general. I never claimed that all support for CS3 has been dropped, although the chances that any bugs will be fixed at this point are nil, so it is really a moot point.