Inside Apple's contract with AT&T, GTA headed to iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

Rockstar is slow now they want to make games for iPhone and iPod Touch.

More likely they were waiting to see if iApps would really take off as a game platform before they invested in it.

Rockstar Games has never done a game for Mac and the only Mac game Rockstar parent Take-Two has is Rune, afaik
  • Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wplate View Post

The real bad deal for AT&T will come when their exclusivity expires and all of those iPhone customers bolt for better carriers. It seems rare to speak with an iPhone user who doesn't despise AT&T. I left AT&T years ago but came back for the iPhone, but I'll leave again as soon as Apple partners with Verizon.

That's my story, too. I'll never forgive AT&T for how they've treated me previously, and the only reason we went with them again is because of the iPhone and service is better where I live than Tmobile was. Once the other carriers get it, someone out there will have iPhone at a lower price for service. When they do, and if they have good service in my area, I'm jumping from AT&T. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's a CDMA compatible Verizon iPhone.

I knew from the beginning that the iPhone on AT&T would only magnify their many flaws, and I'm satisfied to see that it has and is hurting their image. I'm surprised to see they haven't been screwing around on billing though, as that's what they did previously with us.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    #1 - First of all, I may not have been a new costumer to AT&T but if someone else had it instead, I would have taken our 5 family phones (and other friends and family) over to whoever did get it. AT&T would have lost a fortune. Instead, they are making one.

#2 - I've been a pre-iPhone customer and know first hand what their cell network was like.

Apple didn't create AT&T's bad network, Apple just put a spotlight on it.

#3- So what The Wall Street Journal is saying is Apple gave AT&T a raw deal because it brought AT&T too many customers?!?!?

Wow!
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Here is the bottom line for me: When the iPhone customers started crippling the network....AT&T responded with "The iPhone is a mini-computer, therefore tethering and MMS and limitations of 3G access to sling and VOIP are prohibited" AT&T took a real hard-ass corporate stance on the issues.

If I were running their marketing department I would have stated a completely different position...something like this, "Wow, the iPhone has been an overwhelming success for Apple and AT&T, we at AT&T are doing everything possible to give iPhone users the best experience possible. Please be patient as we strive to make the best network even better.

There's nothing wrong with a little humility, had AT&T taken the above position...I would have waited excitedly instead of begrudging them as I do now....yes, public perception is bad for AT&T, they need to clean house in marketing and get some Pros in there.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    I think AT&T got more than what they where hoping for, remember it's only 4 million but that's 4 million people paying for AT&T bullshit 3G service which i thing it's a lot o people paying for a service they hardly even get.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    I hope the port is well optimized for the iPhone. Gangstar by Gameloft is a very well done GTA ripoff.

GTA will do well on the iPhone.

As for 'lackluster' sales of the DS version, the DS is primarily bought by parents for children. The PSP for example has higher end more serious titles but most DS titles are aimed at a younger demographic. What parent is going to by Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars for their young children? Not too many IMO.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Yep, I was one of the gullible souls who eagerly purchased a 3G thinking they'll get 3G to my area pretty soon after I purchased it in July of last year. Yes, I'm still waiting and paying a $10 surcharge for a network that I rarely get to use.

I'll be first in line at the Verizon store for my new phone next year.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    Sell at a loss and make it up on volume? AT&T, thou art pretty stupid.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    robrerobre Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

So how is 5 months of a 450 minute plan dragging down their profits? They have made their money back and more on my plan, which is 900 minutes a month. They would have made zero dollars off of me if they didn't have the iPhone. I just don't get it.

You are right. The WSJ isn't the Journal anymore - smart as it was. It's just Wall Street now. Short term thinking to a point of stupidity. ATT got me with a 2 year contract. But they - let's say - this "reporter" looks at 3 months after the iPhone launch. What a joke. It's like calling every bank stupid that gives people a credit, be it for a TV or a car, or a house - only looking at the returns of the first three months after the purchase. It's sad to see the WSJ sink to just a low level of reporting.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pixel19 View Post

Yep, I was one of the gullible souls who eagerly purchased a 3G thinking they'll get 3G to my area pretty soon after I purchased it in July of last year. Yes, I'm still waiting and paying a $10 surcharge for a network that I rarely get to use.

I'll be first in line at the Verizon store for my new phone next year.

Just thought I'd be contrarian and add that I've never had a problem with AT&T here in the SF Bay Area. The iPhone experience has been a love affair since day one and have never thought about changing.

If you're gullible that's on you. I waited until 3G was up and running in my area BEFORE I bought the phone. The only downside was that I'm not eligible for the 3GS upgrade until March, but at least I can't cry I'm gullible.

With so many of you whiny babies claiming you'll be FIRST in line at the Verizon store, when, if, maybe, who knows if, the iPhone gets there, I'd pay to see the ensuing whine-fest when you don't get your phone first so you could stick in AT&T's eye.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    robrerobre Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

I think AT&T got more than what they where hoping for, remember it's only 4 million but that's 4 million people paying for AT&T bullshit 3G service which i thing it's a lot o people paying for a service they hardly even get.

It's probably true - without the iPhone Verizon would have ATT by the ropes right now.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    I also wonder if other carriers would be under the same network strain if the iPhone was on their networks. I think the carriers would be surprised how great their networks really aren't. Then again we also have an older cell network overall in America.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Best way for AT&T to make this discussion moot is by giving the same amount of attention to infrastructure that Verizion, Sprint, and just about about everyone else does. I don't mind the deal I'm getting, but I do mind that my friends and family with Verizon and U.S. Celluar get 3G data where I can't even make a phone call.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I also wonder if other carriers would be under the same network strain if the iPhone was on their networks. I think the carriers would be surprised how great their networks really aren't. Then again we also have an older cell network overall in America.

AT&T's 3G network ain't bad when compared with the rest of the world --- the world's largest regular priced iphone data allowance per month, and the world's third fastest 3G iphone speed.

The rest of the world got suckered into PR advertising about how their networks are 7.2 mbps or 14.4 mbps --- but their real life iphone 3G speed is slower than AT&T's.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

AT&T's 3G network ain't bad when compared with the rest of the world --- the world's largest regular priced iphone data allowance per month, and the world's third fastest 3G iphone speed.

I'd like to see some hard proof of that claim sir. The world is a very big place and I find it very difficult to believe that AT&T, which has it's own well documented spotty 3G coverage here in the States, is the 3rd best in the world. The world is covered by roughly 30% of land and the rest is covered not by AT&T, but by Troy Polamalu.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'd like to see some hard proof of that claim sir. The world is a very big place and I find it very difficult to believe that AT&T, which has it's own well documented spotty 3G coverage here in the States, is the 3rd best in the world. The world is covered by roughly 30% of land and the rest is covered not by AT&T, but by Troy Polamalu.

Wired.com did a survey of 3G iphone speed --- AT&T came out to tie for third in 3G iphone speed.

It's just that AT&T is compared with THE NETWORK in the US (Verizon).
  • Reply 37 of 80
    This is rubbish...AT&T locks iPhone users in for two to five years on average and they are all paying on average $100 per month for connection services at 9 MILLION users. That's a hell of a lot of dough that no one else has had access to that's why AT&T was willing to eat the subsidy to double the number of subscribers to AT&T services. AT&T has benefited quite nicely from selling the iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imhotep397 View Post

This is rubbish...AT&T locks iPhone users in for two to five years on average and they are all paying on average $100 per month for connection services at 9 MILLION users. That's a hell of a lot of dough that no one else has had access to that's why AT&T was willing to eat the subsidy to double the number of subscribers to AT&T services. AT&T has benefited quite nicely from selling the iPhone.

Unfortunately, AT&T is being compared with Verizon Wireless and VZW is pulling massive profit margins without selling the iphone.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Just thought I'd be contrarian and add that I've never had a problem with AT&T here in the SF Bay Area. The iPhone experience has been a love affair since day one and have never thought about changing.

I don't know what it is, but two weeks ago I was in the East Bay and could not get any data until about my 10th reboot of the device. It happens to me in LA occasionally, but not like this. The voicemail delay of an hour to a few days drives me nuts.

But, to the point of the article, AT&T blew their golden chance. Had they used the iPhone to leverage femtocell sales (or even picocells) they could have had a large percentage of their users pay money to upgrade the network with the distributed cell sites you put in your home or office. They could have even used it as a chance to market their u-verse service in markets they have it, or ADSL where they don't. They could have created a company town like no other.

They also should have been smarter about how they explained the subsidies to Wall Street. It is odd that AAPL distributes revenue over 2 years, but T takes the subsidy hit all in one quarter, especially given the rush of upgrades when the new model is introduced.

Maybe AT&T didn't really want the iPhone to do any better than it has, or it would alienate other manufacturers and put Apple in too strong of a bargaining position.

Whatever their logic... they haven't accomplished much for themselves!
  • Reply 40 of 80
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Unfortunately, AT&T is being compared with Verizon Wireless and VZW is pulling massive profit margins without selling the iphone.

I think that has much more to do with the fact that VZW has already written down much of its 3g investment, whereas AT&T just began to roll it out two years ago and is actually making some margin on it.