Snow Leopard's still got too many bugs. Don't install just yet!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Salespeople at 3 Apple resellers I visited today and yesterday advise to NOT install SL yet. Too many bugs and probs. They say better to wait until OSX.6.1 or OSX.6.2, which might be a few months...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    I am right there with you. This is really frustrating. X11 is weird and taking forever to load, MacPorts is pretty much broken for some reason. Binaries seem to have been moved into /Developer/usr/bin from /usr/bin. vim is only using about 20 lines instead of an entire X11 window. Creating terminal tabs has a lag and a beach ball .... Of course some apps stopped working, but those will all come in time.

Spotlight lags, my System Preferences won't open the Sound pane ....
  • Reply 2 of 41
    One thing broke on me and it's pretty much the only thing I really hoped didn't break.

My printer no longer works, and I even installed the driver from HP (twice). When you try to print it starts the printer (HP P1005), I can see the ready light blinking like it is warming up, then the Print Manager fails and pushes out some error.

I cannot get it to print, and wish there was a way for me to go back to osx.5.8 and just be happy, like I was.....
  • Reply 4 of 41
    I'm using it on three machines and the only thing thing that doesn't work is listening to sirius and logitech control center. Both of these have workarounds and expect to have proper fixes in the near future.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    My VPN software (Checkpoint SecureClient) no longer works and I'm waiting for an update.

Logitech LCC didn't work at first, but I installed the package inside the main installer to work around it. Seems to be working fine now, a minor issue.

CS4 in general seems to be problematic, mainly when doing Save for Web & Devices and in Dreamweaver doing an inline src or url insert of an image. It's not even consistent, but common enough to kick my ass if I haven't saved.

Also, CyberDuck (a free FTP client) stopped working, but there is a 3.3 beta available that seems to work fine.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    I upgraded four Macs so far, and the only thing that "broke" is Multiclutch, which was abandoned by its author back in 2008.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Hard to put your finger on exactly what action causes the bug but since installing Snow leopard i have already had multiple complete system freezes with no way out.

This is a bit aggravating as I thought Snow Leopard was meant to reduce his kind of thing and segregate individual component failures that everything else could continue.

Not to say Leopard was perfect I was getting crashes with that as well with most recent version.

Culprits seem to be Safari (was already getting the odd problem with Leopard) and Iphoto particularly when using faces.

Worse tho is Time Machine where the backup dusk keeps going into read only mode and thus cannot backup. Am wondering if thee is some incompatibility problem between the OS and the oldish LaCie backup disk.

In all cases a complete restart was required. I have installed all the latest versions of Ilife so thats not the reason.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    It may pay to check if there is any firmware updates for the LaCie drive. Also what type of connection does the drive use?

What apps are open and running at the time of the total freeze up?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

Hard to put your finger on exactly what action causes the bug but since installing Snow leopard i have already had multiple complete system freezes with no way out.

This is a bit aggravating as I thought Snow Leopard was meant to reduce his kind of thing and segregate individual component failures that everything else could continue.

Not to say Leopard was perfect I was getting crashes with that as well with most recent version.

Culprits seem to be Safari (was already getting the odd problem with Leopard) and Iphoto particularly when using faces.

Worse tho is Time Machine where the backup dusk keeps going into read only mode and thus cannot backup. Am wondering if thee is some incompatibility problem between the OS and the oldish LaCie backup disk.

In all cases a complete restart was required. I have installed all the latest versions of Ilife so thats not the reason.

The LaCie is connected by Firewire. There was a firmware update. Have applied it, erased and reformatted the disk and am backing uop from scratch. Let's see how that does.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    ]The LaCie is connected by Firewire. There was a firmware update. Have applied it, erased and reformatted the disk and am backing uop from scratch. Let's see how that does.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    The other problems seem to be related to Iphoto tho it also crashed once when switching users.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    A more informative way of expressing this would be:

"All major OS releases still have too many bugs. Don't install until the first or second patch is released."

Depending on how someone uses their computer, this may or may not be advice to head.

But it is important for people to realize that this isn't limited to just Mac OS 10.6. Vista had similar problems and OS 10.0 was a downright clusterfuck for some users. (Remember how using a modem with dual processors would guarantee a complete lock-up in a matter of minutes? No really, 100% of the time. Modems were completely worthless when running two processors... until 10.1. Or was it 10.2?)

In other words, if we're truly out to educate people, the advice should be given at the abstract level. All major software releases can be problematic until the first or second patch. If the user wants to play and can deal with problems that might come up, go for it. Otherwise wait until the bugs are fixed.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Well it looked like backup was ok, but now its saying not enough room. As I have only used around 40gb of disk its hard to believe it cannot fit in the 100+Gb free on the backup. Clearly still a LaCie problems
  • Reply 14 of 41
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Working fine for me. I'm enjoying the speed and the new features. (yes, they exist). CS3 even working well for my needs.

Just back up first and give it a whirl. You can always go back.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    I disagree with you completely, and feel badly for you. But you may be the exception.

Four upgrades today - 3 Leopard, 1 Tiger (2 MBP, 1 MBA, 1 iMac) - and each one was flawless. I am floored.

With the exception of a couple of trivial things (like Cisco's VPN, which I have no doubt will be fixed soon), everything worked superbly.

Apple has delivered yet again.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Lots of random application crashes here, usually when opening or saving documents. Safari just quits whenever it feels like it. I've upgraded with each major version of Mac OS X and Snow Leopard is the only one that's given me such headaches. After three days I've reverted back to Leopard and everything is peachy once again.

Snow Leopard was supposed to be a fine-tune update of Mac OS, i.e., fix and streamline it so everything is stable, fast and efficient. I'm disappointed.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Snow Leopard was supposed to be a fine-tune update of Mac OS, i.e., fix and streamline it so everything is stable, fast and efficient. I'm disappointed.

That's an understatement, afaic.

Snow Leopard is clearly an immature product, and Apple should be deeply ashamed that they have released it in this state, causing thousands of loyal users unnecessary problems and headaches.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    I'm using it on 4 Macs and have been nothing but satisfied. Nice speed improvements and UI tweaks all around.

These aren't all new computers either. One of them is a several year old white intel iMac.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Lots of random application crashes here, usually when opening or saving documents. Safari just quits whenever it feels like it. I've upgraded with each major version of Mac OS X and Snow Leopard is the only one that's given me such headaches. After three days I've reverted back to Leopard and everything is peachy once again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington View Post

I'm using it on 4 Macs and have been nothing but satisfied. Nice speed improvements and UI tweaks all around.

These aren't all new computers either. One of them is a several year old white intel iMac.

I.o.w.: Snow Leopard shows an extremely flakey performance. A fundamental hallmark of bad software!

jpennington is one of the lucky ones.

Sofar.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    I wish I would have waited. It took out my iMac.