The most horrifying movie ever made?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If you want to see the one film that will leave you scarred for life more than any other movie ever made, pick up a copy of the British film Threads.

There is no comparison.

There is nothing that even begins to approach the horror this film inspires in your soul.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:

<strong>If you want to see the one film that will leave you scarred for life more than any other movie ever made

Does anyone have any other suggestions?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, pearl harbor--not the attack itself, but that lame 1 and half hour attempt at an ending...

i have never felt so deprived of substance in my life...

what a joke...
  • Reply 2 of 41
    The Skateboard Kid

Watch it, you'll see what I mean.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Probably "The Exorcist". Even the parts without Regan just had a eerie, creepy vibe. The supernatural and the devil and all that stuff, rolled up into psychology and religion, makes for a very scary - to me, anyway - movie.

However, I will say this: it's nowhere NEAR as scary as William Peter Blatty novel, which is, as we know, par for the course.

The book messed with me for AGES! Still does, if I let it. The movie, while eerie and scary, was a bit anticlimatic after having the living shit scared out of me by the book.

But seeing as how I don't seek out and watch horror films, this is about my only real experience. Never saw the Freddy/Jason/Michael/Pinhead stuff and TRULY scary movies (ones that REALLY get into you and weird you out) bother me, so...
  • Reply 4 of 41
    fritz lang's "M"

made way back in 1931, is unsetteling considering that nuclear war only needs to happen once, but psychopaths are with us every day

before someone gets on a rant about "M" being like a lot of other films you've seen, you have to remember that "M" was first...
  • Reply 5 of 41
    the virgin suicides...

very strange shit...
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Requiem for a Dream.

No doubt.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    The first time I saw Alien it got pretty freaked out. : )
  • Reply 8 of 41
    I hate spiders with a passion, so Arachnophobia was it for me.

And if anyone has seen the movie Prophecy about mercury poisoning in a lake, that was pretty scary.

The Exorcist 1 and 3 were simply outstanding movies.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: ctt1wbw ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 41
    documentaries on Minamata are very disturbing too
  • Reply 10 of 41
    [quote]Requiem for a Dream.

No doubt. <hr></blockquote>

I still regret watching that. *shudder*

It ****ed me up for a long time.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I've saw Threads four of five years ago, DoctorGonzo. It was quite shocking.

Movies haven't scared me since I was ten, but when I was seven I watched Aliens and it definitely scarred me! I had terrifying dreams for many weeks.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by ctt1wbw:

<strong>I have spiders with a passion, so Arachnophobia was it for me.

And if anyone has seen the movie Prophecy about mercury poisoning in a lake, that was pretty scary.

The Exorcist 1 and 3 were simply outstanding movies.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How exactly does someone go about having spiders with a passion?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Typo, my man, typo.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    In what way is Threads terrifying? What's it about?

A terrifying )in a way) film:"Sick: The Life And Times of Bob Flanagan; Supermasochist"

Its a very good, sad, documentary about the masochist/artist who suffered from that horrible lung desease who's name I know...except said name seems to be hiding just out of reach at the moment.

Especially when he pounds a regular sized wood nail through the pud of his pen and onto a board then puls it out and blood squirts all over the lens POV.

regardless its a good movie about the struggle in the face of the suffering from the desease and from impending and certain death.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Wasn't Threads the nuke movie? If I'm thinking about the right movie, it was better than The Day After, for sure.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Deliverance and Jacob's Ladder.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Another vote for Requiem for a Dream

Awsome movie, frikin amazing, hell its brilliant. Best cinematography this side of the world (right up there with Kurosawa), AMAZING music, ok plot, decent acting, but by far the most disturbing movie Ive ever seen.

My favorite review of it said "Id call it a masterpeice but you couldnt pay me to see it again"

As for Jacobs ladder, when I was five (or around that age, maybe 8) I saw the add and it freaked me out, all that night I was singing "Side by Side" to my self to keep me from thinking about it and freaking out. I cant hear that song to date without getting totally creeped out.

However I saw the movie a few years later and decided that its my favorite horror story.

True story:

Watching that movie with a friend a fee years later (I insisted that he see it) I put down the remote next to me. About an hour later I heard this kind of panting growling sound, freaked the hell out of me, discounted it as nerves. Then when the movie was over I went to get the remote so that I could rewind the tape, and I couldnt find it. We turned on ALL the lights and went searching. It was under the pile of our jackets which we handnt touched since long before the movie started.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Happiness
  • Reply 19 of 41
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Wing Commander...Horrific what they did to a perfectly good computer game series.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    [quote]In what way is Threads terrifying? What's it about?<hr></blockquote>

As ctt1wbw said it is a movie about nuclear war, but unlike its predecessor The Day After it presents a very realistic point of view, and is presented in a quasi-documnetary style. It is still a dramatic feature, but it has the occasional overdub by a narrator to explain something like the British continuity of government provisions or something to that effect.

The creators went to extreme lengths to make the film as accurate as possible and the list of PhDs in the credits is a mile long. It does not hold back on anything and is probably the most bleak film you will ever see. It just keeps hitting you relentlessly with every aspect of post-nuclear life.

It quite literally makes The Day After look like The Sound Of Music.

If you can find a copy, watch it.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]</p>